PDA

View Full Version : Stepping Up My Game -- 2010, Here I Come!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Firedrake
10-22-09, 6:40 pm
Okay, gang, here it is: after asking Rage if I should go ahead and start this, and some encouragement from Weedlewott, AND having said on another thread that I'm going for it, now begins the Journey to the stage!

From one of my last posts in the "Honored" section:

Well, I want to step on stage next July for the L.A. Bodybuilding Championships Masters Over 50 Class. To do that, I feel I need more mass in my legs and arms before I start cutting. At my height, it's hard to put on enough mass to show a big gain. I don't even know what my measurements are right now -- I just look at the pics and know my legs and arms don't measure up to my torso. My chest still needs work, but that's happening.

I'm finally beginning to see some muscle in my quads, which is one of the reasons I've started to hit up the smith squats -- I have balance issues due to neuropathy in my feet from before the back surgery, so the smitty lets me use more weight and target the quads better. The slngle leg leg press is great on the glutes, and I'm really liking the standing leg curl AND the seated. Both quads have issues -- I tore the right one off at the knee cap in '04, and the left got partially torn, so they'll never look "quite right", but the muscle mass was so gone when I started (I couldn't walk without a cane before my back surgery, and needed to haul myself upstairs on the bannisters), it's taken a year for them to start showing anything at all. Given that my legs USED to be my best bodypart, this is frustrating. (I was squatting 350 for reps regularly up till about 2000, and I'd been leg pressing 1200 in high school!)

My arms are just stubborn. The triceps are finally starting to come up, and the biceps SEEM to be, but it's hard for me to see on a daily basis. Being able to see the pics from the contest does help -- I -can- see progress; it just seems to freakin' little to me. The left bi has been torn off at the elbow, and will always look a little short, but hey, it gives a better peak! <grin> (Sgt. Rock said I should tell people it was a shark bite). I'd like at least 18" arms by the contest -- my calves are there already (no shape to them, but they are 18").

I feel my shoulders are coming along, and my back is doing better than I thought it ever could, given that there's a foot-long titanium cage and three artificial discs back there. Actually getting some -width- these past 14 weeks has really helped my mood. The thickness is coming up, too, and if you'd told me I could rack dead 455 right after my surgery, I'd have laughed bitterly. I don't think I'll ever get floor deads right, due to flexibility issues with that titanium cage, but you never know. Lots more to come, but . . . it's happening.

In terms of weights on the lifts? Bench Press for 315 for reps; squats (free) for 350 again (or more); curls for at least 110-125 for reps; I'd -like- to be pulling that 455 off the floor, but we'll see. Dips with two plates or better, military press for 225 maybe. Those are the ones that come to mind.

Given that I've made such good progress with the program I've used for the Iron Contest, Rage said, "just keep doin' what you're doin'!" So, there will be no major changes right now. I'll probably switch up some exercises for a little variety every month or so, but until the cut starts, this is strictly a mass program. I gotta admit, there's kind of a funny feeling in my stomach about saying this officially and publicly, and a real sense of a sea-change in my head going on.

This is for real.

Hitting chest and delts tomorrow morning and back on Saturday. Back to my normal schedule on Monday. Let's see how big a freak this old man can be!

widdlewade44
10-22-09, 6:42 pm
Go for it brother! It's going to be an awesome Journey, enjoy the ride.

Kevin
widdlewade44

weedlewott
10-22-09, 6:46 pm
Uh Oh! Look who's in the Contest section!!!! Subbed buddy.

RK
10-22-09, 6:46 pm
subbed

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-22-09, 7:09 pm
Doin it big in 2010! I'm with you all the way FD.

AZN-BEEF
10-22-09, 8:55 pm
subbed as usual! what time you wanna hit koloseum? what do u wanna eat after?

DJBrujah
10-22-09, 9:04 pm
You know I'm subbed for this! Get it done big man!

DANO
10-22-09, 9:32 pm
better late then never! subbed.

mcbeast
10-22-09, 9:35 pm
subbed!

Q
10-22-09, 9:36 pm
I'm in...

Steve101
10-22-09, 10:08 pm
it's going to be a SWEET ride!

shortstack
10-22-09, 10:32 pm
Get after your dream brother. I'm in for this one.

Shortstack

BryanSmash!
10-22-09, 11:56 pm
I'm in Jim!

Themostocles
10-23-09, 2:38 am
In!

firsthorseman97
10-23-09, 6:36 am
Definitely in for this!

Hoomgar
10-23-09, 9:20 am
Is this the Yellow submarine?

Hg

Birdman
10-23-09, 9:28 am
Consider me subbed FD

ghost
10-23-09, 9:38 am
fuck yes, so happy that you are getting on stage Jim! Subbed!!!!

weedlewott
10-23-09, 10:09 am

Hg

Best reply to date in here... Lol.

Mr. Dead
10-23-09, 11:30 am
Ready for the ride!!!

naturalguy
10-23-09, 11:40 am
Firedrake stepping up his game.......................................I like it

Firedrake
10-23-09, 1:31 pm
Go for it brother! It's going to be an awesome Journey, enjoy the ride.

Kevin
widdlewade44

I'm looking forward to it!

Uh Oh! Look who's in the Contest section!!!! Subbed buddy.

Well, you were the first one who said "go for it!"

subbed

Cool!

Doin it big in 2010! I'm with you all the way FD.

Thanks!

subbed as usual! what time you wanna hit koloseum? what do u wanna eat after?

11 am, as usual, and after? Something meaty, of course!

You know I'm subbed for this! Get it done big man!

Thanks, DJ! Great to have you!

better late then never! subbed.

Hardly late, bro -- I haven't made the first workout post yet!

subbed!

Excellent, EE

I'm in...

Thanks, you shredded monster!

it's going to be a SWEET ride!

Was that "sweet" or "sweaty" -- probably both!

Get after your dream brother. I'm in for this one.

Shortstack

Thanks, bro -- I'm on my way!

I'm in Jim!

Thanks, Bryan -- don't drip snot on the keyboard <grin>

In!

Thanks, Seth! Glad to have you!

Definitely in for this!

Thanks, Ryan! How's that shoulder?

Hg

Heh! Maybe I should've called it that . . . <grin>

Consider me subbed FD

Thanks, Birdman!

fuck yes, so happy that you are getting on stage Jim! Subbed!!!!

I'll make the Animals proud, bro!

Best reply to date in here... Lol.

I agree!

Ready for the ride!!!

It's gonna be a wild one!

Firedrake stepping up his game.......................................I like it

Thanks, NG -- gotta bring the "A" game to hang with the Gladiators!

Today's chest of horrors . . . <grin> (It's October, after all . . .)

Shoulder warmup . . "ymtv"

Bench Press: 135 x 15, 185 x 10, 225 x 10, 265 x 5 PR! (I think I tweaked my right shoulder and elbow on this one, though . . .) 185 x 10

HS Incline Bench Press: 100 x 12, 150 x 10, 185 x 10

Incline DB Flyes: 50 x 10, 50 x 9

Decline HS: 100 x 15, 190 x 10, 190 x8, 150 x 10

HS Iso Lateral Shoulder Press: 150 x 10, 190 x 8 (ow!), 190 x 8 (tried to change position slightly, but still ow)

DB Alt Press: 50 x 0 (elbow rebelled just trying to get 'em up, so no go)

Machine Laterals: 150 x 15, 120 x 10, 120 x 12 D/S 90 x 10, D/S 60 x 10

Swing Arm Pec Deck: 70 x 15, 120 x 10, 135 x 10, 135 x 8 PR!

Okay, the right elbow (really the upper insertion of the top of the forearm) is really pissed. I don't know exactly what I did . . . maybe I really do need that deload . . .

Big C
10-23-09, 1:33 pm
Holy cow how did I miss this.....and it's already on Page 2 daaaumm!!!

Jim you know I've always had your "back" per say....well without the steel and such LOL...but I will continue to support you on your goal to do this show.

Good luck my friend already seein some #s jump on that chest workout! Keep it up....

OklahomaMuscle
10-23-09, 1:36 pm
265?? what? I gotta get back to work... definitely ready to see you take it to another level...do work big guy

Firedrake
10-23-09, 1:52 pm
Holy cow how did I miss this.....and it's already on Page 2 daaaumm!!!

Jim you know I've always had your "back" per say....well without the steel and such LOL...but I will continue to support you on your goal to do this show.

Good luck my friend already seein some #s jump on that chest workout! Keep it up....

Yeah, but I think it cost me this morning. Even my upper right pec just below the shoulder insertion is bugging me. I may have pushed this too hard. <grump>

265?? what? I gotta get back to work... definitely ready to see you take it to another level...do work big guy

Thanks, bro -- gonna see what I can make of me!

Hoomgar
10-23-09, 2:25 pm
Grats on the PR's dad. I know it sux feeling that pain on tha last sert but it also is almost worth it to get that PR isn't it? LOL!

Deload deload deload! A little "heal up" time before you dive back in man. This gets my vote. You hammered really hard to take ground during the comp, now a short rest period is in order. You'll actually grow durng the rest time if you keep the diet in check.

firsthorseman97
10-23-09, 2:29 pm
Congrats on the PR! Those are some great numbers, Jim. Take care of that shoulder! You might be ready for a deload. You've been hittin' it heavy and hard for a while now.

mcbeast
10-23-09, 4:27 pm
265x5?! DAMN!

weedlewott
10-23-09, 4:28 pm
Damn Jim... 265? That's just stupid heavy... Nice dude...

AZN-BEEF
10-23-09, 4:44 pm
i thought i read a week ago you were going to take a "deload week"...deload week doesnt consist someone hitting PR's and slightly tweaking their shoulder just to let you know. lol jk solid benching!

see you tomorrow!

DANO
10-23-09, 4:53 pm

x2....kick ass Drake! deload, you dont need no stinking deload...

T o m m Y
10-23-09, 6:30 pm
265x5?! DAMN!

x2!

great work!!

315 soon!

Vaze_06
10-23-09, 6:31 pm
sub sir. time too kill it old guy!

DJBrujah
10-23-09, 10:18 pm
Just saw that you placed first on Team Yellow in the competition and I wanted to stop by and say congratulations! Way to go man! You earned it!

J Wong
10-23-09, 10:53 pm
In!

BryanSmash!
10-23-09, 11:28 pm
Nice work! Take care of that elbow.
You'll be happy to know I blew a bunch of snot all over my shirt this morning, missed the keyboard though lol.

Phil800101
10-24-09, 5:44 am
You know I'm down for this bro...

Awesome session there, congrats on the PRs! Strong work. Hope the elbow feels better soon.

weedlewott
10-24-09, 9:03 am
Mr. Soon to be rocking the VICTOR AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes. Be excited.

PAZZO_Sper0
10-24-09, 11:33 am
sorry I'm late.

subbed on second page.

let's do it!

weedlewott
10-24-09, 5:36 pm
How'd the work go today?

machineman
10-24-09, 5:52 pm
I'm in Jim......265 bench is very nice!!! congrats on the PR's and you will rock the stage!

DANO
10-24-09, 8:30 pm
where is the new victor avatar? haha. big congrats buddy!

Firedrake
10-24-09, 9:47 pm
Grats on the PR's dad. I know it sux feeling that pain on tha last sert but it also is almost worth it to get that PR isn't it? LOL!

Deload deload deload! A little "heal up" time before you dive back in man. This gets my vote. You hammered really hard to take ground during the comp, now a short rest period is in order. You'll actually grow durng the rest time if you keep the diet in check.

Yeah, the way my shoulders, upper right pec and right elbow feel today suggests a lighter week or two may be in order, as much as I hate not pushing the envelope. There's something about being near the iron that makes me want to push myself harder.

Congrats on the PR! Those are some great numbers, Jim. Take care of that shoulder! You might be ready for a deload. You've been hittin' it heavy and hard for a while now.

Yeah, but it's hard for me to do it . . . but I think I may have to.

265x5?! DAMN!

That's the way my shoulder and upper right pec feel . . . <grin> (OW!)

Thanks, bro -- we'll see how I recover. Right now I think I strained the pec a bit.

i thought i read a week ago you were going to take a "deload week"...deload week doesnt consist someone hitting PR's and slightly tweaking their shoulder just to let you know. lol jk solid benching!

see you tomorrow!

We had a good time, didn't we?

x2....kick ass Drake! deload, you dont need no stinking deload...

Erm, I may, yet, actually -- at least there. We'll see how I recover.

x2!

great work!!

315 soon!

That's what I want . . .

sub sir. time too kill it old guy!

As long as it doesn't kill me little girl! <grin>

Just saw that you placed first on Team Yellow in the competition and I wanted to stop by and say congratulations! Way to go man! You earned it!

Thanks, DJ!

In!

Welcome!

Nice work! Take care of that elbow.
You'll be happy to know I blew a bunch of snot all over my shirt this morning, missed the keyboard though lol.

ROFL! Good for you -- aim is a good thing in an infantryman . . .

You know I'm down for this bro...

Awesome session there, congrats on the PRs! Strong work. Hope the elbow feels better soon.

It's the shoulder and upper pec bugging me more today . . .

Mr. Soon to be rocking the VICTOR AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes. Be excited.

HEE!

sorry I'm late.

subbed on second page.

let's do it!

Ain't late at all, bro; this ride's just getting started!

How'd the work go today?

Real good! AZN-BEEF, mgmmaze and I had a good time. Back feels nice and tight, and I'll probably regret those rack deads in the morning.

I'm in Jim......265 bench is very nice!!! congrats on the PR's and you will rock the stage!

Thanks, Bob! Welcome to the new ride.

where is the new victor avatar? haha. big congrats buddy!

I dunno yet. I figure they'll get it to me shortly.

I showed up at Koloseum gym this morning about 11:10 -- Mike (mgmmaze) had arrived early, and called to check in, and Patrick (AZN-BEEF) was on his way. Mark (Tempus) called as I got there to tell me he wasn't going to make it, because of trouble with his girlfriend's car. We missed him.

The first thing the nice lady at the counter asked me was where the rest of the Animals were and why we hadn't been in lately. She complemented me on how I was looking, which felt nice, and then I showed her the picture I'd taken there a year ago, and she really fell all over herself about my progress, which felt REALLY good, I have to admit.

I REALLY wish I could train there on a regular basis. Running into Hidetada Yamagishi (got ninth at the Olympia) training was cool! Nice guy, too!

Mike had been doing presses in the rack, and Patrick and I were headed for deads and rack deads, respectively.

I went up stairs long enough to do some hip lifts to warm up my glutes, and got 3 sets of 15 with 90 lbs. in plates on my hips. I'm really liking them doing my sets with resistance. Then I went back down to the racks.

I didn't count all Patrick's sets (though I videoed a couple and will try to get 'em up shortly), but he did get 405 x 10 and 405 x 9 at the end.

Rack Deads: 135 x 20, 225 x 15, 315 x 10, 405 x 10, 455 x 2 (oh, well . . .)

BO DB Rows: 120 x 10, 125 x 10 (I liked having something heavier than 110s)

Hammer Strength Low Row: 2pps x 15, 3pps x 10, 4pps x 10, 4pps x 10 (thank you, Patrick for helping me get the forced squeeze at the top of the rep)

Medium Neutral-Grip Low Pulley Row ("Bicycle Handlebars" handle): some weight x 10, a bunch more x 10 (Patrick set 'em and I didn't look).

. . . at this point, mgmmaze had to leave to take his wife out for her birthday (and important duty, to be sure, if he wants to be allowed to come again) Patrick and I went on to do some

BB Shrugs: 225 x 15, 315 x 10

. . . and then off to "The Grill" for the two of us . . . I had a salad, steak, zucchini and french fries. All in all a good session.

10-24-09, 10:03 pm
Nice work FD. Strong rack pulls. The PWO meal sounds good too, steak and zucchini is a personal fav.

BryanSmash!
10-24-09, 11:51 pm
Looks like fun, glad you had a good time!

Cstlfx
10-25-09, 12:05 am
I've been away so I just got the news. Congrats on winning on Team Yellow!!

You know I'm subbed for this journey as well.

RK
10-25-09, 12:53 am
good work "old man". got some big numbers on those rack deads!

Steve101
10-25-09, 9:53 am
Old Man you are going absolutely Hard Core...Awesome

weedlewott
10-25-09, 9:58 am
Good looking workout Jim. I like the rack Deads. Heavy shit. What is your hip lift thing?

Firedrake
10-25-09, 12:04 pm
Nice work FD. Strong rack pulls. The PWO meal sounds good too, steak and zucchini is a personal fav.

For some reason, my body REALLY wanted the zukes, and I devoured 'em.

Looks like fun, glad you had a good time!

It was fun -- I'm sorry more of the crew couldn't be there, but we had a good time.

I've been away so I just got the news. Congrats on winning on Team Yellow!!

You know I'm subbed for this journey as well.

Thanks! I'm still both a little startled and grinning from ear-to-ear!

good work "old man". got some big numbers on those rack deads!

Thanks, you monstrous kid!

Old Man you are going absolutely Hard Core...Awesome

Doin' my best, Steve!

Good looking workout Jim. I like the rack Deads. Heavy shit. What is your hip lift thing?

Here's the basic version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSYzFoDw6h4

I'm working a variation with added resistance after seeing a version of bridges done with a barbell across the hips to increase glute activation for deadlifts. It looks a little weird to be thrusting my hips upward with plates on them, but it seems to be doing the glutes some good.

shizz702
10-25-09, 12:21 pm
Killing it in here Drake!

Absolutely boggles the mind where you are now, considering where you came from!

Lol you are putting a lot of young guys to shame now!

Phil800101
10-25-09, 12:47 pm
Solid session Jim! Those are some strong racks.

That's awesome with the compliment, no doubt it adds some fuel to the fire...then again, the way you've been burning along it's probably like throwing a shotglass of charcoal fluid onto a forest fire, lol.

TimK13
10-25-09, 8:32 pm
I'm In.

You will make yourself & the Animal family very proud!!!
Quality, Quality, Quality,
Conditioning, Conditioning, Conditioning

Size is important, but Balance, Conditioning & Quality Muscle will set you apart.
You have all our support, so do your homework, get your plan from someone (one person) you trust, then JUST DO IT!!!!!! Don't think or question it. Don't be afraid to start your cardio early. Nothing crazy at first. Old Guys like us take alittle longer to burn up that fat.
No one's going to measure your arms on stage or judge you based on what you bench. So oncle Prep starts focus on quality & definition.

Jim all the BEST.

Tim

Themostocles
10-26-09, 12:18 am
Sounds like an awesome time, and some awesome back work!

AZN-BEEF
10-26-09, 12:23 am
always great to see you and to train with you! you look great, and at one point during the workout i even noticed a little vascularity popping out of your delts which made me a little envious lol.

how is your back feeling today? those "HS low rows" were extremely impressive!

cant wait to see the video and comparisons from last year! dont forget to PM my comparisons

Birdman
10-26-09, 8:55 am
Great job in the gym FD keep up the good work man...by the way impressive rack deads bro

Firedrake
10-26-09, 1:20 pm
Killing it in here Drake!

Absolutely boggles the mind where you are now, considering where you came from!

Lol you are putting a lot of young guys to shame now!

No blame, no shame, Shizz -- just motivation and inspiration! You guys keep me honest and focused; hopefully I can provide some of the same to you.

Solid session Jim! Those are some strong racks.

That's awesome with the compliment, no doubt it adds some fuel to the fire...then again, the way you've been burning along it's probably like throwing a shotglass of charcoal fluid onto a forest fire, lol.

::chuckle:: There's a reason I first chose the screenname "Firedrake" about 15 years ago, as my e-mail addy!

I'm In.

You will make yourself & the Animal family very proud!!!
Quality, Quality, Quality,
Conditioning, Conditioning, Conditioning

Size is important, but Balance, Conditioning & Quality Muscle will set you apart.
You have all our support, so do your homework, get your plan from someone (one person) you trust, then JUST DO IT!!!!!! Don't think or question it. Don't be afraid to start your cardio early. Nothing crazy at first. Old Guys like us take alittle longer to burn up that fat.
No one's going to measure your arms on stage or judge you based on what you bench. So oncle Prep starts focus on quality & definition.

Jim all the BEST.

Tim

Tim, thanks so much. Rage has been guiding me from the start, and brought me from "blob" to where I am, so I see no reason to change. We'll be starting the cut nearly six months out, so I can take it relatively slow and keep as much muscle as possible while dialing it in. It's funny, having read your work, and following TTL, and Aggression through their prep, I'm almost eager to get started, but I have time to add some muscle yet.

Sounds like an awesome time, and some awesome back work!

It was fun! I realized afterwards I forgot to do some work on the upper lats, but that's okay -- everything else was solid.

always great to see you and to train with you! you look great, and at one point during the workout i even noticed a little vascularity popping out of your delts which made me a little envious lol.

how is your back feeling today? those "HS low rows" were extremely impressive!

cant wait to see the video and comparisons from last year! dont forget to PM my comparisons

I won't forget; I just haven't gotten 'em put together yet. You make a great training partner!

Great job in the gym FD keep up the good work man...by the way impressive rack deads bro

Thanks! I need to start working 'em lower, I think, but I really enjoyed 'em.

Okay, so:

I really intended this morning to be a lighter day, so there were no PRs, but I got a sick pump, anyway.

Warmups as per usual: Hiplifts, DownDog, Salute Sun, stretches. .. .

Dips: BW x 15, 45 x 12, 45 x 10, 45 x 10, BW x 10

OH Rope Handle Extensions: 60 x 15, 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 10 d/s 50 x 10, d/s 30 x 10

. . . shoulder didn't want to put the DB up for OH DB Extensions, so:

One Hand Reverse Pressdowns: 40 x 10, 40 x 10
s/s w/One hand Pressdowns: 40 x 12, 40 x 12

HS Preacher Curls: 55 x 15, 70 x 10, 70 x 10, d/s 45 x 10, d/s 30 x 10

The elbow didn't feel much like doing hammer curls -- it seems the problem is with the bottom of the brachialis and top of the forearm insertion . . . so:

EZ Bar Curls: 65 x 10, 75 x 10, 85 x 10, d/s 45 x 10
s/s Reverse EZ Bar Curls: 65 x 10, 75 x 10, 85 x 10, d/s 45 x 10

Cable Curls: 70 x 15, 80 x 15, 110 x 10

Triceps Extension Machine: 50 x 15. 75 x 10, 75 x 10

. . . arms were tight and swole -- felt good!

Crunches: 100 center, 100 left oblique, 100 right oblique x 2

annnnnnd done

. . . had a hard time getting my arms bent enough to wash my hair.

I'm in a ridiculously good mood today -- Thursday morning I get on a plane for Kentucky to see my lady friend, and get nearly a week off from work! YAAAAY! (well, at least from OFFICE work -- she wants to go to the gym . . . <grin>)

10-26-09, 1:23 pm
Whereabout in Kentucky you headin' FD?

Firedrake
10-26-09, 1:25 pm
Whereabout in Kentucky you headin' FD?

Going to be in Berea most of the weekend, where Tanya lives -- though she wants to show me around Lexington and Richmond. I fly into Lexington on Thursday, and land, I believe, around 4:30.

BryanSmash!
10-26-09, 1:25 pm
Nice job of smokin those guns Jim, guess you'll have to start wearing a hat after arm day now lol.

weedlewott
10-26-09, 1:27 pm
Okay, so:

I really intended this morning to be a lighter day, so there were no PRs, but I got a sick pump, anyway.

OH Rope Handle Extensions: 60 x 15, 70 x 12, 70 x 12, 70 x 10 d/s 50 x 10, d/s 30 x 10

The elbow didn't feel much like doing hammer curls -- it seems the problem is with the bottom of the brachialis and top of the forearm insertion . . . so:

annnnnnd done

I'm in a ridiculously good mood today -- Thursday morning I get on a plane for Kentucky to see my lady friend, and get nearly a week off from work! YAAAAY! (well, at least from OFFICE work -- she wants to go to the gym . . . <grin>)

Very nice day Jim. Pretty sweet about visiting Kentucky too.

mritter3
10-26-09, 1:37 pm
looking solid in here jim...congrats on the iron contest you blew it out of the water....keep it up man.

10-26-09, 1:39 pm
Going to be in Berea most of the weekend, where Tanya lives -- though she wants to show me around Lexington and Richmond. I fly into Lexington on Thursday, and land, I believe, around 4:30.

Lexington is beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

Phil800101
10-26-09, 2:41 pm
Nice gun show bro! No doubt it was a sick pump. Enjoy the trip!

N. Motta
10-26-09, 7:40 pm
Keep that fire burning hot FD. Are you going to submit to middle age and mediocrity??

I think not.

PAZZO_Sper0
10-26-09, 8:14 pm
Okay, so:

annnnnnd done

wow, that's awesome man, I'm glad you get to show your lady friend your skillz.

and your workout was top notch. I Can't believe you call that light. GOOD SHIT.

DANO
10-26-09, 9:12 pm
Great stuff in here, I expect nothing less. enjoy your time off OFFICEwork!

Themostocles
10-27-09, 1:11 am
Have a good time Drake

NJC_Manhattan
10-27-09, 11:35 am
Just found this. You know I'm in for this one.

Mr. Dead
10-27-09, 11:47 am
Great "light" session!!! Enjoy the time with your lady friend!!!

OklahomaMuscle
10-27-09, 12:15 pm
solid session FD, nothing like that feeling after a great arm session...enjoy the ridiculously good mood...haha

C.Coronato
10-27-09, 1:22 pm
Nice little vacation! Enjoy.

Firedrake
10-27-09, 1:35 pm
Nice job of smokin those guns Jim, guess you'll have to start wearing a hat after arm day now lol.

Not a bad notion, but I'll probably need one after shoulders, too. <grin>

Very nice day Jim. Pretty sweet about visiting Kentucky too.

I've never been there, and Tanya already wants me to move there. I'd need to find work, of course . . . and a good gym <grin>. Not that I have a good one here . . . but at least it has some real benches and some Hammer Strength stuff.

looking solid in here jim...congrats on the iron contest you blew it out of the water....keep it up man.

Thanks, bro! I gave it my all, and I guess it showed. I'm going to keep building mass till January, then start cutting for the July show.

Lexington is beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

I plan to. Tanya was asking last night what I wanted to see, and I said, to her, "You."

Nice gun show bro! No doubt it was a sick pump. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks! I really enjoyed it, and things are sore this morning. I know I did good when the biceps are sore all the way down to the elbow insertion.

Keep that fire burning hot FD. Are you going to submit to middle age and mediocrity??

I think not.

You're absolutely right. I've long been accused of never doing things by half measures. When I do something, I dive in all the way. This whole Journey started because I looked at myself in some pictures and said to myself "I look old and fat. I can't do much about the old, but . . . " and got started.

wow, that's awesome man, I'm glad you get to show your lady friend your skillz.

and your workout was top notch. I Can't believe you call that light. GOOD SHIT.

Yeah, it was pretty light. I didn't really go to failure on anything.

Great stuff in here, I expect nothing less. enjoy your time off OFFICEwork!

I'm really eager to Get the out of the office. I wish I could afford for it to be longer.

Have a good time Drake

I will! Thanks, Seth!

Just found this. You know I'm in for this one.

Welcome aboard. This train is picking up steam!

Great "light" session!!! Enjoy the time with your lady friend!!!

I plan to. I've known her for about 15 years, but this is the first time we'll be spending time alone together.

solid session FD, nothing like that feeling after a great arm session...enjoy the ridiculously good mood...haha

Thanks, Blake! I had some issues with a kidney stone yesterday, but that passed (you'll pardon the expression), and I felt great this morning.

Which brings me to . . . LEG DAY!

[B]Warmup: Hip Lifts 90 lbs x 15 x 3, Piriformis stretches, lumbar stretches. I'm really liking the weighted hip lifts, but I may have to start doing 'em with a barbell -- holding two plates up there is kind of awkward.

Someone was in the Smith, so I started with:

Single Leg Leg Presses: 365 x 15, 380 x 15, 395 x 12

Smith Squats: 135 x 20, 225 x 12, 225 x 10 (grumble. I'd rather do these first, but it does seem to be better for the quads to do 'em second . . .) Went all the way to parallel, paused, and came up. Serious pump in the legs.

Some idiot girl was doing unweighted lunges onto a step . . . in the f***in' SQUAT RACK . . . so:

DB Straight Leg Deadlifts: 75s x10, 90s x 10, 90s x 10 -- hams liked that (really!)

Standing Leg Curls: 50 x 15, 62.5 x 10, 75 x 10 . . . yeah, I know I did 90 last week. <grin> I really am trying to take things a LITTLE easy . . .

Seated Leg Curls: 120 x 10, 135 x 10, 150 x 8

. . . nice day. Felt a little queasy after the squats, but not too bad. Not going for PRs this week. Really. Knee is in good shape, quads are smoked. I'm really feeling the lower quads on the Single Leg LPs, because I can shift foot placement to focus.

Firedrake
10-27-09, 1:37 pm
Nice little vacation! Enjoy.

Thanks! I'll keep checking in here, just to report on any workouts I -do- get in. (well, ones in the gym, anyway <grin>)

How long till your show again? I forgot.

OklahomaMuscle
10-27-09, 1:40 pm
I'll keep checking in here, just to report on any workouts I -do- get in. (well, ones in the gym, anyway <grin>)

Well played sir...well played. Enjoy the "relaxation"...

firsthorseman97
10-27-09, 1:42 pm
Nice leg day, Jim. Have fun on your vacation! Don't forget to take your little blue pills! LMAO! Just joking with ya. Hope you have a great time.

weedlewott
10-27-09, 1:42 pm

In my best Dane Cook impersonation:

"Yooouuuuu! Yyyoooouuuuuu!"

Phil800101
10-27-09, 1:49 pm
Sick wheels session my man! I bet you'll be feeling that while you're on the plane.

Rage
10-27-09, 3:17 pm
I'm in brother.

Firedrake
10-27-09, 3:30 pm

I plan to!

Nice leg day, Jim. Have fun on your vacation! Don't forget to take your little blue pills! LMAO! Just joking with ya. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks!

In my best Dane Cook impersonation:

"Yooouuuuu! Yyyoooouuuuuu!"

::chuckle;;

Sick wheels session my man! I bet you'll be feeling that while you're on the plane.

Not too badly, I hope -- I have to change planes in Atlanta. I remember struggling through Dallas/Ft.Worth last year right after a leg day.

I'm in brother.

Welcome!

Just a side note: Here are some pictures taken of AZN-BEEF and I, one year apart, at Koloseum Gym in Fullerton.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/firedrake54/Progress%20Shots%2008-09/

There's a bit of difference in both of us . . .

Cstlfx
10-27-09, 3:47 pm
I

Just a side note: Here are some pictures taken of AZN-BEEF and I, one year apart, at Koloseum Gym in Fullerton.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/firedrake54/Progress%20Shots%2008-09/

There's a bit of difference in both of us . . .

Holy crap that is a massive difference. AZN-BEEf grew some beef and you did a complete 180! Now you're big with good weight!

That really is some fantastic work. Incredible.

Steve101
10-27-09, 3:55 pm
FD that is an amazing transformation,,,,,you can really see the hours that you both put in!!

DJBrujah
10-27-09, 4:01 pm
I commented the picture on your MySpace, but I'll comment here too. The progress that you've made in one years time is astonishing man. I imagine when the pictures go up next year, it'll be even crazier. Keep up the awesome work!

LittleMan55
10-27-09, 4:04 pm
In for this!!!

Sitting back, taking notes, and being motivated. Lay it on the line brother!

Gambit
10-27-09, 4:09 pm
Man, I must be blind. I just finally found your new thread! Let's see what you can do!

Hoomgar
10-27-09, 4:12 pm
Man, I must be blind. I just finally found your new thread! Let's see what you can do!

You made it in under page 10 bro, you did good. This thing spins about 3 or 4 pages a day! LOL!

LittleMan55
10-27-09, 4:24 pm
You made it in under page 10 bro, you did good. This thing spins about 3 or 4 pages a day! LOL!

My journey does that at times and its confusing as hell...

So Jim I will go ahead and say I'm sorry if I miss something in the madness.

B Con
10-27-09, 5:13 pm
what's this I stumbled upon???

Firedrake
10-27-09, 5:24 pm
what's this I stumbled upon???

Ehh, some old fart thinks he's a bodybuilder . . . <grin>

B Con
10-27-09, 5:26 pm

Hey I know I'm getting up there in years.... :)

I'm in.

10-27-09, 6:32 pm

You are lookin like a bodybuilder in those post contest pics!

Big C
10-27-09, 8:08 pm
Like I told you on your facebook bro......outstanding progress....but this is not the end. Keep banging and do what you can do defy the odds!

You know I'm in your corner all the way...

AZN-BEEF
10-27-09, 9:17 pm
nice workout! lol at the girl

have a fun and safe trip! i know your anxious to get out there!

so whats the progress with the videos from koloseum? i hope you can get them up before you leave

InkdMuscle
10-27-09, 11:35 pm
Wow those b4 and after pics of u on Pat were a huge difference. U lost so much and gained a crap load of muscle. That just shows ya right there the dedication ya have.

Now doubt come July ur gonna be snapn some necks on stage.

DBOY
10-28-09, 12:06 am
Captn. Gramps sorry I just found your new thread....but some great shit going on as usual wit ya. Progress pix are amazing you lost a shit ton of weight I can't even remember you being that big gramps, way to go. And mr beef pack'd on some beef...nice work guys.

Im back to doing my thing now to just haven't made a new thread, ima try n get one up tomorrow and post my past 2 days of workouts up

Nice work gramps keep at it!!!

Themostocles
10-28-09, 1:32 am
I know there are suppose to be workouts somewhere in here... lol

Pizzalamp
10-28-09, 6:47 am
i am subbd big drake

BryanSmash!
10-28-09, 11:01 am
Nice pics Jim! Going to start rocking the beard again anytime soon?

LittleMan55
10-28-09, 11:45 am

I was wondering about this too!!

OklahomaMuscle
10-28-09, 12:06 pm

I was wondering about this too!!

Yes all the cool kids are doing it... Bring back the beard FD

Big C
10-28-09, 12:08 pm
I vote to bring the beard back for the Arnold!!!!!!

Firedrake
10-28-09, 2:19 pm
Holy crap that is a massive difference. AZN-BEEf grew some beef and you did a complete 180! Now you're big with good weight!

That really is some fantastic work. Incredible.

Thanks!

FD that is an amazing transformation,,,,,you can really see the hours that you both put in!!

And yet, I -enjoy- those hours every day. Training really is the most fun part of my life right now.

I commented the picture on your MySpace, but I'll comment here too. The progress that you've made in one years time is astonishing man. I imagine when the pictures go up next year, it'll be even crazier. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks DJ -- you keep knockin' things down yourself, despite obstacles. You should be proud!

In for this!!!

Sitting back, taking notes, and being motivated. Lay it on the line brother!

Everything I've got, Bro!

Sometimes . . . there's one whole page here without a single workout on it already!

My journey does that at times and its confusing as hell...

So Jim I will go ahead and say I'm sorry if I miss something in the madness.

No blame, no shame, bro -- I hope _I_ don't miss anything.

Like I told you on your facebook bro......outstanding progress....but this is not the end. Keep banging and do what you can do defy the odds!

You know I'm in your corner all the way...

Glad to have you there, Chris!

nice workout! lol at the girl

have a fun and safe trip! i know your anxious to get out there!

so whats the progress with the videos from koloseum? i hope you can get them up before you leave

Happy now?

Wow those b4 and after pics of u on Pat were a huge difference. U lost so much and gained a crap load of muscle. That just shows ya right there the dedication ya have.

Now doubt come July ur gonna be snapn some necks on stage.

That's the plan, Junior.

Captn. Gramps sorry I just found your new thread....but some great shit going on as usual wit ya. Progress pix are amazing you lost a shit ton of weight I can't even remember you being that big gramps, way to go. And mr beef pack'd on some beef...nice work guys.

Im back to doing my thing now to just haven't made a new thread, ima try n get one up tomorrow and post my past 2 days of workouts up

Nice work gramps keep at it!!!

All the way, bro! So: When do I get to see YOU up there? I know when Lauren's stepping up . . .

I know there are suppose to be workouts somewhere in here... lol

Somewhere . . . but probably not the rest of THIS week, unless we train Friday or Saturday morning . . .

i am subbd big drake

Glad to have you, Grant!

Yes all the cool kids are doing it... Bring back the beard FD

I vote to bring the beard back for the Arnold!!!!!!

I dunno, guys, it's all white now, and makes me look older. As much as I hate shaving, I don't like looking older. Tell you what: I'll ask Tanya. If SHE likes the beard, I'll think hard about it. Maybe just the goatee and moustache? I'll have to give it some thought -- Ive had one other person off-Forum say they wanted me to grow it out again.

Oh, yeah -- workout:

Today was real light -- some abs, some wrist curls, some calves: Nothing really worth logging, so I didn't have my book with me.

OklahomaMuscle
10-28-09, 2:47 pm
I dunno, guys, it's all white now, and makes me look older. As much as I hate shaving, I don't like looking older. Tell you what: I'll ask Tanya. If SHE likes the beard, I'll think hard about it. Maybe just the goatee and moustache? I'll have to give it some thought -- Ive had one other person off-Forum say they wanted me to grow it out again.

Well if it's that white you could always take up a new hustle as a mall Santa...think about it, you could reinvent the Santa stereotype, personally I like the idea of a Jacked Santa waving and smiling while downing a mixboy full of Milk and Cookies and Cream Real gains...ho ho ho FD....hahaha

weedlewott
10-28-09, 2:48 pm
I like the goatee/mustache idea. I may even rock one that weekend....

Big C
10-28-09, 2:48 pm
I say we all grow our beards out for the Arnold......make it a bearded brotherhood.

Just will make our bond that much stronger. See what Tanya thinks!

I know Hola Bola would do it...Little Z would do it......I would.....let's get this rollin!

weedlewott
10-28-09, 2:51 pm
I say we all grow our beards out for the Arnold......make it a bearded brotherhood.

I know Hola Bola would do it...Little Z would do it......I would.....let's get this rollin!

should we start a thread????

LittleMan55
10-28-09, 2:52 pm

I already got my beard started! I had one last year too! Lets do it!

Big C
10-28-09, 2:54 pm
I PM'ed a couple people. I mean it wouldn't be mandatory or anything but I think it's a sweet idea. I would be down.

weedlewott
10-28-09, 2:55 pm
I PM'ed a couple people. I mean it wouldn't be mandatory or anything but I think it's a sweet idea. I would be down.

I'm down. Full beard? Lol.

Big C
10-28-09, 2:57 pm
Ehh whatever! Mine would be though for sure. Full beard would def be better though.

I'm down. Full beard? Lol.

Hoomgar
10-28-09, 3:15 pm

Mine is like a freakin thorn bush. Hurts. I don't wear it for extended periods of time for this reason but there is no reason I couldn't rock it for the Cage. Mine is the kind that if you don't keep on it, your friends start calling you Jakey, or Amos, or Moses. LOL!

Maybe I'll just bring the goatee?

LittleMan55
10-28-09, 3:16 pm
I plan on rocking a beard! I'm in for Jim growing one back. White or not dude man beards are where its at in 2010!

Mr. Dead
10-28-09, 3:17 pm
Mine is like a freakin thorn bush. Hurts. I don't wear it for extended periods of time for this reason but there is no reason I couldn't rock it for the Cage. Mine is the kind that if you don't keep on it, your friends start calling you Jakey, or Amos, or Moses. LOL!

Only takes 3 days for me to grow one... In 2 weeks, I can look like a homeless old man...

LittleMan55
10-28-09, 3:22 pm

No half assing! Beards are serious business Amos!

Only takes 3 days for me to grow one... In 2 weeks, I can look like a homeless old man...

Don't talk about yourself like that!

Hoomgar
10-28-09, 3:24 pm

No half assing! Beards are serious business Amos!

Don't talk about yourself like that!

Yea thats all fine and good but can you braid it in with the beard"s" on your shoulder blades?

pffffft! LOL!

AZN-BEEF
10-29-09, 12:00 am
lol yes im happy.

how is your shoulder feeling now?

BryanSmash!
10-29-09, 1:30 am

Right here lol: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=833835#post833835

Posted to late to get the actual poll in there though. Doh!

B Con
10-29-09, 10:13 am
In for BEARDS!

Phil800101
10-29-09, 1:13 pm
What about a beard growing contest for the Cage?

We could all start January 1st, everyone would have to shave that day and take an after pic to prove it. That way it would be fair.

Vaze_06
10-30-09, 6:22 pm
*cough* No beard! lol
oh and happy Halloween in advance and be nice with the lady lol

Firedrake
10-30-09, 8:52 pm
Well, the lady, who's sitting her next to me, isn't really down with the idea of the beard -- she likes my chin the way it is . . .

I'm having a wonderful time, by the way, despite Delta's attempt to get me lost or strand me in Atlanta yesterday.

Vaze_06
10-30-09, 9:00 pm
AHAHAHAH women FTW!!
kk my vote didnt count for shit but we still kicked all of your asses lol

weedlewott
10-30-09, 9:12 pm
Totally just noticed that you were rocking the Victor Avatar.. Congrats brotha man... Rock the beard anyway...

DANO
10-30-09, 9:38 pm
Totally just noticed that you were rocking the Victor Avatar.. Congrats brotha man... Rock the beard anyway...

x2 the avatar looks good on ya! and i am sure the chin whiskers do to <grin>

NJC_Manhattan
10-30-09, 9:50 pm

x2 the avatar looks good on ya! and i am sure the chin whiskers do to <grin>

So true. Awesome Victor Drake. You are killing it.

BryanSmash!
10-31-09, 12:49 am
Well, the lady, who's sitting her next to me, isn't really down with the idea of the beard -- she likes my chin the way it is . . .

I'm having a wonderful time, by the way, despite Delta's attempt to get me lost or strand me in Atlanta yesterday.
Hopefully you won't get stranded on the way back too lol. Congrats on the V!

AHAHAHAH women FTW!!
kk my vote didnt count for shit but we still kicked all of your asses lol

lol how very true!

Psycho77
10-31-09, 4:39 am
IN for the new journey, Jim.

Lots of work going on in here.

Yes on the beard.

Happy Halloween!

Phil800101
10-31-09, 2:06 pm
Glad to hear you're having a good time bro, and congrats on the avatar!

Firedrake
11-02-09, 5:42 pm
I'm having a wonderful time, but haven't been spending much time online, as you can see.

Here are some pictures you can see . . .http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=117884&id=615258982&l=996b23660a

Firedrake
11-02-09, 5:43 pm
Oh, and:

Mucho thanks to Universal and Animal for the contest and the cool new avatar!

Mr. Dead
11-02-09, 5:43 pm
I'm having a wonderful time, but haven't been spending much time online, as you can see.

Here are some pictures you can see . . .http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=117884&id=615258982&l=996b23660a

Glad to hear that you're having a wonderful time...

DJBrujah
11-02-09, 7:12 pm
Great pics Jim! Looks like the trees are changing really nicely down there in KY. It's really pretty like that out here in Southern IL too right now. Fall always was my favorite season. Enjoy your down time man!

DBOY
11-02-09, 7:47 pm
Good times out there gramps...? Have fun n b safe brotha.

C.Coronato
11-03-09, 10:49 am
Look at you rockin the Victor avatar! Post up your shirt.

InkdMuscle
11-03-09, 11:01 am
Live it up gramps. You of all people earned a well deserved get away from society. See ya when you return.

LittleMan55
11-03-09, 11:46 am

This!

Firedrake
11-03-09, 12:02 pm

As soon as I get home to get it, I will! I won't get back till about 11pm tonight, L.A. time. Maybe I'll wear it to the gym Thursday morning if it's there. <grin>

Firedrake
11-04-09, 4:29 pm
Well, the shirt was waiting when I got home about 11:30 last night, so I opened the package and stared at it a while. I'd kind of hoped the "V" would be on the front, so I could see it in the mirror when I train <grin>, but it's cool, and I'll wear it tomorrow for chest day.

I think Danny and I should wear 'em for the next ABC.

I didn't do as much gym training as I expected in Kentucky -- we didn't actually locate a good gym near her till Monday, and got in a light arm day -- nothing to write home about -- I was showing her how to use the machines to start with. She's gone ahead and joined the gym, since she really can't go hiking in the woods much during winter. Got lots of cardio in -- hiking, hill climbing, etc.; she's been a big hiker/camper since her teens. She's in great shape, and has a body women 20 years younger would kill for!

I've got to educate my lady on how a bodybuilder eats, though. She eats and cooks healthy (bison steaks the first night), but she was unprepared for the quantity of food I wanted. When I ordered two extra eggs over the three that already came with the ham steak, fried apples, biscuits and gravy at the diner, she was about to give me a lecture on cholesterol, and I pointed out that mine was 112. She said "never mind." She also wasn't ready for how -often- I get hungry.

I lost 5 lbs. this weekend. Ooops! When I pointed out to her my own BMR (nearly 2400 kcal a day), and broke that down per pound of lean mass, and pointed out I needed to eat literally twice as much food as her to maintain what I have, I think I finally hit home.

It was a great weekend, but I don't think I'm moving to Kentucky any time soon, though she'd be glad to have me. We'll see what the future holds.

Back to the gym in the morning for chest and shoulders -- they're ready for it!

OklahomaMuscle
11-04-09, 4:45 pm
He's baaackkkk...welcome home FD...

DJBrujah
11-04-09, 4:49 pm
Well, the shirt was waiting when I got home about 11:30 last night, so I opened the package and stared at it a while. I'd kind of hoped the "V" would be on the front, so I could see it in the mirror when I train <grin>, but it's cool, and I'll wear it tomorrow for chest day.

I didn't do as much gym training as I expected in Kentucky -- we didn't actually locate a good gym near her till Monday, and got in a light arm day -- nothing to write home about -- I was showing her how to use the machines to start with. She's gone ahead and joined the gym, since she really can't go hiking in the woods much during winter. Got lots of cardio in -- hiking, hill climbing, etc.; she's been a big hiker/camper since her teens. She's in great shape, and has a body women 20 years younger would kill for!

I've got to educate my lady on how a bodybuilder eats, though. She eats and cooks healthy (bison steaks the first night), but she was unprepared for the quantity of food I wanted. When I ordered two extra eggs over the three that already came with the ham steak, fried apples, biscuits and gravy at the diner, she was about to give me a lecture on cholesterol, and I pointed out that mine was 112. She said "never mind." She also wasn't ready for how -often- I get hungry.

I lost 5 lbs. this weekend. Ooops! When I pointed out to her my own BMR (nearly 2400 kcal a day), and broke that down per pound of lean mass, and pointed out I needed to eat literally twice as much food as her to maintain what I have, I think I finally hit home.

It was a great weekend, but I don't think I'm moving to Kentucky any time soon, though she'd be glad to have me. We'll see what the future holds.

Back to the gym in the morning for chest and shoulders -- they're ready for it!

Sounds like you had a nice weekend, glad to hear it! Knowing you and how you get work done, I'm sure you'll have that 5 lbs back in no time at all. Time to get busy.

Beach91
11-04-09, 5:33 pm
Lovin the new Avatar Firedrake and its well deserved, followed your pics n progress through Rages contest after I got back from the Olympia, and all I can say is Wow, and you are proof positive hard work sacrifice and dedication pay off

consider me subbed

AZN-BEEF
11-04-09, 8:23 pm

!

show off.. lol jk

i knew you weren't ready to leave So.Cal yet. you love us too much! see you in a couple of weeks!

Cstlfx
11-04-09, 8:56 pm
That V is lookin sexy!!

NJC_Manhattan
11-04-09, 10:13 pm
This is going to be good Drake. I may have to come see your show

B Con
11-05-09, 9:29 am
Damn thats a sweet avi... well deserved.

InkdMuscle
11-05-09, 11:00 am
Well gramps hope ur back to hitn the iron. HOpe your trip went well. *hehe*

Mr. Dead
11-05-09, 1:47 pm
What's goin' on in here...???

Firedrake
11-05-09, 2:34 pm
He's baaackkkk...welcome home FD...

Thanks, bro -- I was twitching to hit the iron.

Sounds like you had a nice weekend, glad to hear it! Knowing you and how you get work done, I'm sure you'll have that 5 lbs back in no time at all. Time to get busy.

See below! <grin>

Lovin the new Avatar Firedrake and its well deserved, followed your pics n progress through Rages contest after I got back from the Olympia, and all I can say is Wow, and you are proof positive hard work sacrifice and dedication pay off

consider me subbed

Thanks! Did we actually meet and talk at the "O"? Glad to have you along!

show off.. lol jk

i knew you weren't ready to leave So.Cal yet. you love us too much! see you in a couple of weeks!

Nah, I'm not quite ready to throw it all over and head to Kentucky. To be fair, you guys in the SoCal crew ARE part of the reason. You HAVE become like family to me. It IS awfully nice there, though, and the scenery was delightful!

That V is lookin sexy!!

Thanks! I like it! I had several questions this morning about what the shirt means at the gym. Yes, I got pics.

This is going to be good Drake. I may have to come see your show

C'mon along! That'll give ME an excuse to come to New York when it's YOUR turn!

Damn thats a sweet avi... well deserved.

Thanks, bro! Now on to getting the "Gladiator" one next year! <grin>

Well gramps hope ur back to hitn the iron. HOpe your trip went well. *hehe*

I was this morning, and I had a WONderful time!

What's goin' on in here...???

Just because you asked:

Chest and Shoulder day:

I was sort of "easing" back into it, not going for PRs. I did manage to tweak that damn little muscle between the brachialis and forearm again, though, kicking up the DBs for DB flyes. I'll ice it tonight.

Warmups:

Hip Lifts: 45 x 15 x 3 sets . . . I'm really liking the effect of doing these with weight, but holding the two plates over my abdomen and hips is awkward -- I've seen it done with a barbell, and may switch to that.
Knee Up Crunches: 50 x 2
Side Crunches: 50 x 2 each side
Down Dog, Salute Sun, Lumbar stretch,
Shoulder Warmup (YMTVU) with 12.5 lb DBs

Bench Press: 135 x 15 WU, 185 x 10 (with pause at bottom), 225 x 10, 225 x 8 -- going for solid touches and making sure the form is tight.

Hammer Strength Decline Press: 98 x 15 WU, 148 x 10, 158 x 10, 158 x 10

Incline Flyes: 35 x 15 WU, 55 x 10, 55 x 10 -- it was here the little tendon in the elbow went funny.

Wide Grip Pec Deck: 100 x 15 WU, 150 x 10, 150 x 10

Machine Laterals: 90 x 15 WU, 120 x 10, 120 x 10 d/s 90 x 10, d/s 60 x 10, d/s 30 x 27 (f)

DB Alt Presses: 30 x 15, WU, 40 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10 (my arm is NOT happy, though -- the line down the brachialis into the top of the elbow is really weird and weak feeling)

HS Iso Lateral Press: 150 x 15 WU, 190 x 10, 180 x 8 (f) -- blegh.

Learning Cable Laterals: 30 x 10, 30 x 10

Done. A good session. Nice pump in the chest. Arm is really unhappy with me, though -- gonna ice it later. WTF???

firsthorseman97
11-05-09, 2:37 pm
Glad to see you back in the gym and under the bar. I bet your vacation was much needed. Numbers look pretty solid, Jim.

11-05-09, 2:40 pm
Solid session FD. Hope you enjoyed your trip. I'm down with a back injury, and I know you've had trouble in the past. If you got any tricks up your sleeve, throw'em out here or over in my thread if you don't mind.

hardworkE
11-05-09, 2:54 pm
Everyone loves a contest prep journey!! Keep killing it in here drake, I'll be following along.

InkdMuscle
11-05-09, 3:52 pm
Thanks, bro -- I was twitching to hit the iron.

See below! <grin>

Thanks! Did we actually meet and talk at the "O"? Glad to have you along!

Nah, I'm not quite ready to throw it all over and head to Kentucky. To be fair, you guys in the SoCal crew ARE part of the reason. You HAVE become like family to me. It IS awfully nice there, though, and the scenery was delightful!

Thanks! I like it! I had several questions this morning about what the shirt means at the gym. Yes, I got pics.

C'mon along! That'll give ME an excuse to come to New York when it's YOUR turn!

Thanks, bro! Now on to getting the "Gladiator" one next year! <grin>

I was this morning, and I had a WONderful time!

Just because you asked:

Chest and Shoulder day:

I was sort of "easing" back into it, not going for PRs. I did manage to tweak that damn little muscle between the brachialis and forearm again, though, kicking up the DBs for DB flyes. I'll ice it tonight.

Warmups:

Hip Lifts: 45 x 15 x 3 sets . . . I'm really liking the effect of doing these with weight, but holding the two plates over my abdomen and hips is awkward -- I've seen it done with a barbell, and may switch to that.
Knee Up Crunches: 50 x 2
Side Crunches: 50 x 2 each side
Down Dog, Salute Sun, Lumbar stretch,
Shoulder Warmup (YMTVU) with 12.5 lb DBs

Bench Press: 135 x 15 WU, 185 x 10 (with pause at bottom), 225 x 10, 225 x 8 -- going for solid touches and making sure the form is tight.

Hammer Strength Decline Press: 98 x 15 WU, 148 x 10, 158 x 10, 158 x 10

Incline Flyes: 35 x 15 WU, 55 x 10, 55 x 10 -- it was here the little tendon in the elbow went funny.

Wide Grip Pec Deck: 100 x 15 WU, 150 x 10, 150 x 10

Machine Laterals: 90 x 15 WU, 120 x 10, 120 x 10 d/s 90 x 10, d/s 60 x 10, d/s 30 x 27 (f)

DB Alt Presses: 30 x 15, WU, 40 x 10, 45 x 10, 45 x 10 (my arm is NOT happy, though -- the line down the brachialis into the top of the elbow is really weird and weak feeling)

HS Iso Lateral Press: 150 x 15 WU, 190 x 10, 180 x 8 (f) -- blegh.

Learning Cable Laterals: 30 x 10, 30 x 10

Done. A good session. Nice pump in the chest. Arm is really unhappy with me, though -- gonna ice it later. WTF???

Solid work gramps. but do you think you are over working your shoulders since they get hit indirectly with chest. Just a question. Whats your wisdom on this. =)

DJBrujah
11-05-09, 6:19 pm
Nice Chest/Shoulder day Jim! Sorry to hear that you tweaked your arm, hopefully the ice will help it for tomorrow. I tweaked my damn shoulder again (on Chest day as well) doing Decline Flyes at the wrong angle. Sounds like those flyes are arm killers! I might look for something else to use on Chest day so I don't mess it up again, but I think I'll give them one more shot at the correct angle.

Firedrake
11-05-09, 6:53 pm
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/firedrake54/Victor-Shirt.jpg

Flash419
11-05-09, 7:01 pm

Shirt looks awesome bro... the avatar too. Congrats AGAIN!

Big C
11-05-09, 9:35 pm
So u are gonna let me borrow this at the Arnold Expo, right? Or at the ABC? Haha!

Fillin the shirt out very nice big guy.......keep up the hard training.

DANO
11-05-09, 11:13 pm

now that is a awesome damn shirt, screw mike phelps he aint got one of those! haha

DANO
11-05-09, 11:14 pm

now that is a awesome damn shirt, screw mike phelps, because he aint got one of those! haha... well earned Drake

BryanSmash!
11-06-09, 12:05 am
Rockin the shirt out Jim, nice!

shortstack
11-06-09, 5:52 am
Hey Drake, Looks like you had a great time on vacation and your pics really tirned out well. Bet you don't get to see alot of tree color like that in Cali.

Anyway Bro, nice to have you back and in the mix.

Shortstack

Birdman
11-06-09, 9:15 am
you wear that shirt well my friend, keep at it

Beach91
11-06-09, 9:25 am
The shirt looks great Jim, just read your post in my journey and have faith that you may have to get in touch with the guys at corporate soon, that shirt is going to be too small in a month or two!

I agree with everything u posted in my journey, especially your take on bulking with Rage, monitoring your calories and body closely to ensure quality gains.

You got this bodybuilding thing down solid bro, I am gonna enjoy watchin your progress!

Mr. Dead
11-06-09, 1:09 pm
Great session!!! Hopefully you will find a way to make your arm happy and content...

Firedrake
11-06-09, 1:30 pm
Glad to see you back in the gym and under the bar. I bet your vacation was much needed. Numbers look pretty solid, Jim.

It was, and I had a WONderful time.

Solid session FD. Hope you enjoyed your trip. I'm down with a back injury, and I know you've had trouble in the past. If you got any tricks up your sleeve, throw'em out here or over in my thread if you don't mind.

Well, you saw my suggestions on your Journey . . . I hope it improves soon!

Everyone loves a contest prep journey!! Keep killing it in here drake, I'll be following along.

Thanks, bro! Good to have you!

Solid work gramps. but do you think you are over working your shoulders since they get hit indirectly with chest. Just a question. Whats your wisdom on this. =)

It's a consideration. I may talk to Rage about tightening up my routine.

Nice Chest/Shoulder day Jim! Sorry to hear that you tweaked your arm, hopefully the ice will help it for tomorrow. I tweaked my damn shoulder again (on Chest day as well) doing Decline Flyes at the wrong angle. Sounds like those flyes are arm killers! I might look for something else to use on Chest day so I don't mess it up again, but I think I'll give them one more shot at the correct angle.

Well, it's some better today, and it didn't bother me during my back workout, so that's a plus, but now that I'm sitting here at the office, it's aching again.

Shirt looks awesome bro... the avatar too. Congrats AGAIN!

Thanks, Flash -- we all put in a ton of work, and it was great having us as a "team" pushing each other. Don't think that'll slow down from ME now that the contest is over. I'm still going to push you!

So u are gonna let me borrow this at the Arnold Expo, right? Or at the ABC? Haha!

Fillin the shirt out very nice big guy.......keep up the hard training.

Depends. Where's my EAA Stack? <grin> j/k

now that is a awesome damn shirt, screw mike phelps, because he aint got one of those! haha... well earned Drake

Who needs all those Olympic Gold Medals, anyway . . .?

Rockin the shirt out Jim, nice!

Thanks, Bryan! I'll get shots of me and D-Boy together next week at our ABC.

Hey Drake, Looks like you had a great time on vacation and your pics really tirned out well. Bet you don't get to see alot of tree color like that in Cali.

Anyway Bro, nice to have you back and in the mix.

Shortstack

Thanks, Jeremy! I had a good time, but I was jonesing for the iron AND the Forum by the time I got home. You guys keep me goin' on the hard days, and happy on the better ones.

you wear that shirt well my friend, keep at it

There's no stopping now, my friend! Thanks for stopping in!

The shirt looks great Jim, just read your post in my journey and have faith that you may have to get in touch with the guys at corporate soon, that shirt is going to be too small in a month or two!

I agree with everything u posted in my journey, especially your take on bulking with Rage, monitoring your calories and body closely to ensure quality gains.

You got this bodybuilding thing down solid bro, I am gonna enjoy watchin your progress!

Thanks! I certainly HOPE it'll be nice and tight around the chest and shoulders by the Cage! <grin> I watch myself VERY carefully. At my age, monitoring things is a little more critical. I get blood tests twice a year (my cholesterol and other counts are low enough the doctors want me to talk to other veterans), and am careful about which supps I take.

I'm still a student at this stuff, even though I started lifting when I was 14. I took so many years away because of injury and pain that I feel like I'm just getting back up to speed. I don't think I'll really FEEL like a bodybuilder till I get through that first contest next year.

Today's happiness -- BACK, TRAPS AND REAR DELTS DAY:

Surprisingly, the tweaked arm didn't bother me on most things, but pulldowns and chins weren't going to happen, so I worked around it. I've got a call into my doc to get an appointment about this, just to see what I did, exactly.

Warmups:

Hip Lifts: 90 x 15 x 3 (I'm going to try a barbell next Monday -- this holding 2 plates on my hips is really awkward)

KneeUp Crunches: 50 x 2
Oblique Crunches: 50 x 2 each side

Down Dog, SaluteSun, Lumbar Stretch, Superman Hypers, Glute Kick

Rack Deads: 135 x 20, 225 x 10, 405 x 10, 455 x 7 pr reps -- okay, we're getting back into the swing, here -- oddly enough, my arm felt BETTER after these.

HS Low Row: 2pps x 15, 3 pps x 10, 4pps x 10, 4pps x 10, (oh, what the fuck . . . let's see . . .), 4p+10/side x 10 PR!

switching orders around because things were busy . . . I did

DB Shrugs: 110 x 25, 110 x 25

HS Hi Row: 2 pps x 15, 2p+25/s x 10, 2p+25/s x 10

Rear Delt Deck: 125 x 15, 137.5 x 10, 137.5 x 9

I feel pretty good about the workout, but I really want to get back to working on my chins. I've never been good at them, and I want to bring my lats up to speed.

Mr. Dead
11-06-09, 1:36 pm
Killer session!!! There's the yellow, that has been strangely absent, of late!!!

firsthorseman97
11-06-09, 2:05 pm
Killer session!!! There's the yellow, that has been strangely absent, of late!!!

X2. Great workout Jim! Can't wait to hang out with ya come March.

hardworkE
11-06-09, 2:14 pm
WHOAAAAAAa rack deads, great job Drake. That is some strong lifting right there!

Beach91
11-06-09, 2:23 pm
Great work, the reign of yellow is back, and i agree check the arm out with the doc, before hitting those chins, but once u get back into them, theyll do your back a world of good.

Big C
11-06-09, 2:30 pm
I'm getting you your EAA stack ...no worries...I keep my promises, I will be staring that tub down all the way to the Arnold though. TEMPTING!!!!!!!

Birdman
11-06-09, 2:39 pm
[QUOTE=There's no stopping now, my friend! Thanks for stopping in![/QUOTE]
i know what you mean, couldnt stop if i wanted to haha..solid routines in here bud

N. Motta
11-06-09, 9:13 pm
Nice work on the rack deads Drake! That shit is legit.

DANO
11-06-09, 10:08 pm
Damn Drake, way to own the rack deads! good to see you back in action.

shizz702
11-07-09, 6:43 pm
Your rack deads are insane drake! Getting strong in here!

BryanSmash!
11-07-09, 11:00 pm
Yeah buddy! Rack deads are looking great!

weedlewott
11-08-09, 9:14 am
Nice back/trap session Jim. HUGE numbers all the way around.

Q
11-08-09, 11:22 am
Solid back session FD! Glad to hear the arm is feeling better.

Themostocles
11-09-09, 1:34 am
Now thats the way to build a hell of a back!

B Con
11-09-09, 9:21 am
Movie projector back coming right up. Great work and the shirt looks great... well earned.

11-09-09, 12:34 pm
Thanks for the advice Jim! Back is feeling a lot better.

Firedrake
11-09-09, 1:55 pm

::chuckle: Well, I -did- say I was going to deload a bit, but I seem to have a hard time sticking with that. I guess the time off for my trip will have to count.

X2. Great workout Jim! Can't wait to hang out with ya come March.

Looking forward to it, Ryan -- there'll have been changes in both of us since this year.

WHOAAAAAAa rack deads, great job Drake. That is some strong lifting right there!

Thanks. I'm real pleased with them -- in fact, that's the one place I was actually happy with my growth during the contest.

Great work, the reign of yellow is back, and i agree check the arm out with the doc, before hitting those chins, but once u get back into them, theyll do your back a world of good.

I've never been good at them, so it's one of those things I feel I have to master, especially since the first bodybuilder I ever saw was Dave Draper on the cover of a magazine, doing chins with a DB hung around his neck.

I'm getting you your EAA stack ...no worries...I keep my promises, I will be staring that tub down all the way to the Arnold though. TEMPTING!!!!!!!

I know, bro -- just yankin' your chain . . .

i know what you mean, couldnt stop if i wanted to haha..solid routines in here bud

Thanks! It's an addiction, and I LOVE it!

Nice work on the rack deads Drake! That shit is legit.

Thanks! I really want 500, of course . . . <grin>

Damn Drake, way to own the rack deads! good to see you back in action.

I'm pretty pleased. I need to find a way to work a bit lower, though.

Your rack deads are insane drake! Getting strong in here!

Well, that IS the idea, isn't it?

Yeah buddy! Rack deads are looking great!

Thanks, bro. I'm pleased with the progress, actually.

Nice back/trap session Jim. HUGE numbers all the way around.

Ehh, I'm going back to BB Shrugs this week -- the 110s just aren't enough.

Solid back session FD! Glad to hear the arm is feeling better.

Well, it's fine for pulling, but still sucks for any flexing movement -- I couldn't do biceps with it today at all.

Now thats the way to build a hell of a back!

I certainly hope so. I've come a long way since the surgery on it.

Movie projector back coming right up. Great work and the shirt looks great... well earned.

Hee! Workin' on a widescreen!

Thanks for the advice Jim! Back is feeling a lot better.

Glad to hear it. Now I know who you are -- I hadn't equated your Forum name with your facebook name. <grin>

Today: Working around a problem -- ARMing the system.

Warmups:

HipLifts: 90 x 15 x 3
Crunches: 75 x 3 (alternating with the hip lifts)
Oblique Crunches: 75 x 3 to either side

Okay, so - the arm wasn't going to handle dips -- I got about six out at BW before it said "screw you!"

Therefore:

Single Arm Triceps Cable Pressdown: 60 x 15, 90 x 10, 100 x 10 PR! . . . so, the biceps are hosed but the triceps are actually fine. Cool! We can make SOME progress.

OH Rope Handle Extensions: 60 x 15, 80 x 9, 80 x 8 PR!

Left Arm DB Preacher Curls: 25 x 12, 30 x 10, 30 x 8

Cable "Superman" (High Pulley) Curls: 30 x 10, 40 x 10

. . . annnnnd, done. Not REAL thrilled with things this morning, because the bicep is aching BAD, even after some deep tissue massage yesterday and alternating ice and heat all weekend -- waiting for an appointment with a sports medicine orthopedist. Chiro just says it's a pulled muscle, but it's actually two -- the biceps/brachialis and the pronator teres in the forearm. I need to be more careful kicking the DBs up for incline flyes.

. . . at least there's a little yellow in here <grin>

Phil800101
11-09-09, 2:04 pm
Awesome work in here bro! Keep on killing it my man.

weedlewott
11-09-09, 2:22 pm
Today: Working around a problem -- ARMing the system.

Warmups:

HipLifts: 90 x 15 x 3
Crunches: 75 x 3 (alternating with the hip lifts)
Oblique Crunches: 75 x 3 to either side

Okay, so - the arm wasn't going to handle dips -- I got about six out at BW before it said "screw you!"

Therefore:

Single Arm Triceps Cable Pressdown: 60 x 15, 90 x 10, 100 x 10 PR! . . . so, the biceps are hosed but the triceps are actually fine. Cool! We can make SOME progress.

OH Rope Handle Extensions: 60 x 15, 80 x 9, 80 x 8 PR!

Left Arm DB Preacher Curls: 25 x 12, 30 x 10, 30 x 8

Cable "Superman" (High Pulley) Curls: 30 x 10, 40 x 10

. . . annnnnd, done. Not REAL thrilled with things this morning, because the bicep is aching BAD, even after some deep tissue massage yesterday and alternating ice and heat all weekend -- waiting for an appointment with a sports medicine orthopedist. Chiro just says it's a pulled muscle, but it's actually two -- the biceps/brachialis and the pronator teres in the forearm. I need to be more careful kicking the DBs up for incline flyes.

. . . at least there's a little yellow in here <grin>
Nice man... Just really good work going on as usual.

Mr. Dead
11-09-09, 2:25 pm
Great session, despite it all!!! Take care of that arm...

Steve101
11-09-09, 4:51 pm
Way to Overcome - Good Luck at the Doctors

LittleMan55
11-09-09, 4:54 pm
I hope everything goes well at the doc!

Big C
11-09-09, 8:06 pm
Beautiful looking arm workout Drake, and good talking to you yesterday!!!!

DJBrujah
11-09-09, 8:16 pm
Nice looking arm work in there Jim! I hadn't even thought about doing Overhead Extensions like that, do you find that works better for you than dumbbells? Hopefully the biceps start feeling better for you!

Firedrake
11-09-09, 9:39 pm
Awesome work in here bro! Keep on killing it my man.

Thanks, Phil!

Nice man... Just really good work going on as usual.

That's why we keep at it, right, bro?

Great session, despite it all!!! Take care of that arm...

Improvise, adapt, overcome . . . arms actually feel pretty good.

Way to Overcome - Good Luck at the Doctors

I did have some good luck; I'll explain below.

I hope everything goes well at the doc!

it did.

Nice looking arm work in there Jim! I hadn't even thought about doing Overhead Extensions like that, do you find that works better for you than dumbbells? Hopefully the biceps start feeling better for you!

Thanks, DJ!

Well, it turns out it wasn't actually a tweaked biceps at all. What appears to have happened is that, when swinging the DBs up to try and get them into position, the tendon that runs through the bicepital groove in the corticoid process (part of the shoulder), got pulled out of position, causing pain ALL DOWN THE ARM, which made me think the trouble was in the elbow. There's also some effect in the spine, because the C7 nerve root got tweaked in the process.

So: a bunch of therapy on it this afternoon (Ultrasound and a weird multiphase electrostim), heat then ice every night for the next three days, blow off my shoulder and chest workout on Thursday, get some more therapy (including another type -- myofascial release therapy) on Friday, and I should be (he says) right as rain.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to put liniment on the shoulder before I go to be and wear a t-shirt or something to keep it from getting cold, because I like to sleep with the window open for fresh air.

. . . somebody go tell G. Diesel I followed my own advice <grin>.

DANO
11-09-09, 10:19 pm
this too, shall pass. way to stay on top of it.

BryanSmash!
11-10-09, 12:06 am
Heal up soon Jim!

Themostocles
11-10-09, 1:24 am
Yellow is great, but injuries are bad!

B Con
11-10-09, 8:18 am
Damn glad to hear you got things on a solid recovery plan for that injury. Rest up and over come big man.

Beach91
11-10-09, 9:14 am
Rest n Recover Jim and you will back in No time, with vengeance in mind.

weedlewott
11-10-09, 11:04 am
Hope the recovery sessions go well. And yes, that is why we keep at it, brother.

N. Motta
11-10-09, 11:52 am
Glad to see it wasn't anything serious brother.

You got legs today right? I'm gonna try and use enough intensity you will notice it over in cali! haha

Mr. Dead
11-10-09, 12:26 pm
Hope ya have a speedy recovery... And, glad to see ya take your own advice... (I'm still working on being able to do that... *LOL*)

InkdMuscle
11-10-09, 1:13 pm
haha its about time u listen to your self gramps. LOL

Hope that arm heals up quick. We have an ABC to tear up Sat.

Firedrake
11-10-09, 1:16 pm
this too, shall pass. way to stay on top of it.

Kidney stones pass, too -- and I don't enjoy those, either!

Heal up soon Jim!

Oh, I will -- this is just a speed bump.

Yellow is great, but injuries are bad!

Yup. I'm pretty clear on that <grin>. I even know exactly how it happened, to I can be careful to avoid that.

Damn glad to hear you got things on a solid recovery plan for that injury. Rest up and over come big man.

Of course! This is just a little "oops!" -- I'm just glad it wasn't a strained ligament or something.

Rest n Recover Jim and you will back in No time, with vengeance in mind.

You know it!

Hope the recovery sessions go well. And yes, that is why we keep at it, brother.

Every day, Cory -- every damn day!

Glad to see it wasn't anything serious brother.

You got legs today right? I'm gonna try and use enough intensity you will notice it over in cali! haha

Well, I got short-circuited thanks to traffic, so you'll have to get it done for me, till I get back in there tomorrow.

Hope ya have a speedy recovery... And, glad to see ya take your own advice... (I'm still working on being able to do that... *LOL*)

And YOU'RE the bloody medical professional, here!

Well, the SoCal traffic messed me up again -- over an hour to go 25 miles to the gym. So, I switched things around, and did an accessory/hams/calves day today, and will hit legs tomorrow.

Hip Lifts: 135 x 15 x 3 (okay, now THIS shit's getting serious -- doing these one legged with 135 pounds on the hips is no joke, and the glutes really felt it. EXcellent!

Knee Up Crunches: 75 x 3

Oblique Crunches: 75 x 3 each side.

Hanging Leg Raises: 25 x 3

SaluteSun, DownDog, Lumbar Stretch

Hyperextensions: 45 x 15 x 3

SLDL: 135 x 15, 185 x 10, 205 x 10 PR! -- long, low stretch . .

Seated Leg Curl: 120 x 10, 135 x 10, 150 x 8

Seated Calf: 90 x 25, 140 x 20, 140 x 18 (f) (foot slipped)

Calf Extensions on Seated Leg Press: 215 x 25, 230 x 25, 245 x 25, 245 x 25 PR!

Wrist Curls: 45 x 20 x 3 each direction

. . . okay, time to run . . . legs tomorrow, I promise!

Phil800101
11-10-09, 2:07 pm
Sick session there Jim, congrats on the PRs! Nice volume.

Ouch...hope everything is healed up soon.

AZN-BEEF
11-10-09, 6:31 pm
well that sucks! nice job on hitting those PR's though. see you on saturday!

TigerAce01
11-10-09, 6:58 pm
BTW, haven't said it yet, but I'm sure you've gotten it more than you care for now...but...

NICE Avatar!! haha Great job sir!

-Ace

Pizzalamp
11-10-09, 7:03 pm
im loving the new avi drake!

LittleMan55
11-10-09, 7:10 pm
Sounds like you have everything mapped out for a speedy recovery... Stupid traffic! Good thing I live under a quarter mile from my gym, I can walk!

NJC_Manhattan
11-10-09, 8:42 pm
Well I wanted to post because no one else posts in your journeys...........

Ha. Looking good man.

DANO
11-10-09, 9:59 pm
traffic??? whats that? in the 18 miles i drive to work, i only hit one stoplight, and see about 10 cars! haha

Big C
11-10-09, 11:05 pm
Good work on the legs Jimbo.........

Was reading some text out of my college book today (life span dev.) and it said if 50 plus year olds starting hitting the weights they will get stronger than ever.....you are living proof my friend!!!

Themostocles
11-11-09, 1:32 am
Great leg day, and even better PRs :) Keep at it gramps

mritter3
11-11-09, 7:59 am
good lookig workouts in here Jim....keep it going bud.

B Con
11-11-09, 10:09 am

Was reading some text out of my college book today (life span dev.) and it said if 50 plus year olds starting hitting the weights they will get stronger than ever.....you are living proof my friend!!!

x 2 to this.... he is definitely living proof...

Vaze_06
11-11-09, 1:09 pm
so . . . . .. .
. . .. .. . .. .
where is that leg work out promised.... im just saying....
tic tac tic tac tic tac tic tic tic tac tac tic tac

Firedrake
11-11-09, 1:58 pm
Sick session there Jim, congrats on the PRs! Nice volume.

Ouch...hope everything is healed up soon.

Thanks, Phil -- I keep trying, even when schedules get weird.

well that sucks! nice job on hitting those PR's though. see you on saturday!

Lookin' forward to it, bro -- thanks for the props!

BTW, haven't said it yet, but I'm sure you've gotten it more than you care for now...but...

NICE Avatar!! haha Great job sir!

-Ace

. . . thanks, Ace -- I don't get tired of hearing it yet <grin>. My brothers and I busted our balls trying for that. I'm just one of eight victors on the bulking side as far as I'm concerned. We ALL put on solid muscle.

im loving the new avi drake!

Me, too, Grant -- it's still odd to contemplate the fact I won, but like any other bodybuilder, all I can focus on is the NEXT thing. <grin>

Sounds like you have everything mapped out for a speedy recovery... Stupid traffic! Good thing I live under a quarter mile from my gym, I can walk!

I HATE YOU! . . . I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course . . . <grin>

Well I wanted to post because no one else posts in your journeys...........

Ha. Looking good man.

*snort* well, I post in a lot of others, too. <grin> Thanks!

traffic??? whats that? in the 18 miles i drive to work, i only hit one stoplight, and see about 10 cars! haha

See my comment to Broc above . . . phbbtt! <grin>

That's what my doctor tells me. Thanks, C. The rest of the legs got fried this morning.

Great leg day, and even better PRs :) Keep at it gramps

Thanks, Junior -- the rest of the legs got fried this morning.

good lookig workouts in here Jim....keep it going bud.

Thanks, bro! I just keep trying to Get It Done!

x 2 to this.... he is definitely living proof...

Thanks, Burt -- I appreciate the props. I'm just doing what I -have- to -- I've become addicted to the iron!

Delayed Leg Day, the continuation:

Hip Lifts: 135 x 15 x 3
Piriformis Stretch, Lumbar Stretch, DownDog, SaluteSun, Hypers, GluteKick

Leg Extensions: 60 x 40, 75 x 30, 90 x 20

Leg Press: 3pps x 20, 5pps x 15, 7pps x 15, 8pps x 10 PR!

Smith Squats: 135 x 20, 225 x 10, 225 x 8 (doing these after the leg presses was NOT going to get a PR today . . . sorry!)

Hip Adductor: 100 x 25, 150 x 20, 180 x 15, 180 x 15

Freak Blasters: 5 (yeah, that's right: 5) I finally found a way to do them but these suckers are HARD!

Standing Leg Curl: 50 x 10, 75 x 10, ds 50 x 10 ds 37.5 x 10 (cramp) done.

mcbeast
11-11-09, 2:59 pm
Insane work Jim! What are these hip lifts again?

With my back problems, and to prevent hip issues etc im looking to incorporate some types of warmups/stretches..ideas?

Firedrake
11-11-09, 3:25 pm
Insane work Jim! What are these hip lifts again?

With my back problems, and to prevent hip issues etc im looking to incorporate some types of warmups/stretches..ideas?

If you go to YouTube, and look up "Cook Hip Lifts" you'll see the unweighted version, which is where I started back in May. My glutes had never really recovered from the back surgery in 2007, which is why I was having trouble with leg presses and squatting.

About six weeks ago, I started adding weight to them, because they were getting too easy. The strength has really skyrocketed since then. I saw a version done two-legged with a barbell (Barbell Glute Bridges on YouTube), and decided to add the weight to my one-legged version, and I'm really liking the results. I'm walking better, my leg exercise weights are going up, and I'm feeling more stable in them. Add a piriformis stretch to them, and you'll improve your hip mobility, as well.

Good luck -- PM me if you need any help!

mcbeast
11-11-09, 3:49 pm
Thanks, ill take a look at them.

Well, im no fan of tennis, but thought i would share this with you.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33834330/ns/today-today_books/

Firedrake
11-11-09, 4:10 pm
Thanks, ill take a look at them.

Well, im no fan of tennis, but thought i would share this with you.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33834330/ns/today-today_books/

Wow! I never knew . . . but then, I don't pay much attention to tennis, either. I never knew his back was so bad. I suspect seeing the surgeon I went to would've done him a world of good -- and it still might! I'm almost tempted to try and contact him to let him know. That man gave -me- a new life!

mcbeast
11-11-09, 4:16 pm
Wow! I never knew . . . but then, I don't pay much attention to tennis, either. I never knew his back was so bad. I suspect seeing the surgeon I went to would've done him a world of good -- and it still might! I'm almost tempted to try and contact him to let him know. That man gave -me- a new life!

Go for it?

Beach91
11-12-09, 9:10 am
Good job on the PR on the leg press, just gettin all those plates on and off is a workout in itself!!

I will have to check those hip lifts as well, anything to help the squat and strengthen that area has to be good!

congrats on the PR!

B Con
11-12-09, 9:22 am
Nice leg session Jim.... unfortunately I too am addicted to the iron... haha it runs in our blood...

C.Coronato
11-12-09, 1:30 pm
Looking good brother!! How you feelin?

Firedrake
11-12-09, 1:30 pm
Good job on the PR on the leg press, just gettin all those plates on and off is a workout in itself!!

I will have to check those hip lifts as well, anything to help the squat and strengthen that area has to be good!

congrats on the PR!

I really like them, particularly since I started adding weight to them. Doing 'em one leg at a time ensures neither one can dominate the exercise.

Nice leg session Jim.... unfortunately I too am addicted to the iron... haha it runs in our blood...

Well, and occasionally our blood runs onto it, if we bang our shins doing deads <grin>.

Today would've been chest and shoulders, but my chiro has asked me to take the week off, to see if we can solve that shoulder/arm problem. He swears he can resolve it tomorrow. We'll see.

So, instead, I did some more calves and abs:

Seated Calf Raises: 90 x 25, 115 x 25, 135 x 20, 135 x 21
Calf Extensions on Seated Leg Press: 215 x 25 x 4
Standing Calf Raises: 135 x 25, 155 x 25, 195 x 25 x 2

s/s Ab Crunch Machine, Hanging Leg Raises, Rope Crunches & Hyperextensions w/25 lb. plate: 25 x 4 each

Then went and sat in the jacuzzi for 20 minutes.

Done.

The jacuzzi felt great on the legs after yesterday, and loosened up my shoulder and neck. I may have to start getting up even earlier in order to have time for it every day or so.

Firedrake
11-12-09, 1:31 pm
Looking good brother!! How you feelin?

Ehh, the right arm and shoulder are a little screwy, but the doc assures me we can finish fixing it up tomorrow. I've got a date with a heavy back day for the ABC on Saturday.

How are YOU feeling? Getting amped for Saturday? (I still want pix <grin>)

Gambit
11-12-09, 1:32 pm
Damn, old man, you're making us young bucks look like we're still wearin' diapers! Great work, Jim

Phil800101
11-12-09, 3:06 pm
Nice work Jim! Way to adapt and overcome bro, how is the shoulder/arm feeling?

Firedrake
11-12-09, 7:42 pm
A t-shirt for cardio day . . .

http://store.glennz.com/etex.html

weedlewott
11-12-09, 7:43 pm

Lol. Nice accy. day Jim.

11-12-09, 9:54 pm

I'm diggin' it Jim.

BryanSmash!
11-12-09, 10:15 pm

LMAO! I so want that!

N. Motta
11-13-09, 1:28 am
hell yea jim, i bet the soccer mom's will LOVE that t shirt. you better buy it.

Themostocles
11-13-09, 1:40 am
THat shirt reminds me of my cut now lol

Firedrake
11-13-09, 1:23 pm
Damn, old man, you're making us young bucks look like we're still wearin' diapers! Great work, Jim

Well, I wasn't going to comment on your choice of workout wear . . .

Nice work Jim! Way to adapt and overcome bro, how is the shoulder/arm feeling?

Sketchy, as yet -- sometimes it feels fine, at other times it aches from the neck all the way down.

hell yea jim, i bet the soccer mom's will LOVE that t shirt. you better buy it.

I've ordered it.

THat shirt reminds me of my cut now lol

Mine too, and where I'll be again come next spring.

Okay: this was one more "accessory" day, since Back and Traps will be tomorrow at the ABC. I was actually going to sleep in, but woke up at my normal time, said "fuck it" and got into the gym for some more abs and calves.

Did the hip lifts with a barbell for the first time -- they're harder that way, because more of the weight is over the pelvis (and even with a towel, the bar is NOT comfortable there <grin>), still I got 135 x 15 x 3

Did four more sets of seated calf raises with 115 x 25 reps

Then did a giant set, moving between Rope Crunches (180) 25 to left, middle and right, 25 Hanging Leg Raises, and 25 Hyperextensions (w/a 25 lb. plate) . . . x 3 giant sets

Did 100 broomstick twists, then

Crunch machine: "Ow" x 3 (somewhere between 100-125 reps -- I lost count)

All done -- felt good -- off to work.

Really looking forward to the ABC tomorrow.

NJC_Manhattan
11-13-09, 1:31 pm
Thats a solid little training day. Save yourself for tomorrow

Mr. Dead
11-13-09, 2:39 pm
Lookin' good in here, as always.... How is the shoulder/arm doin'...???

LittleMan55
11-13-09, 2:39 pm
Great looking work Jim... Fuck it days are where some important work can get done.

DJBrujah
11-13-09, 6:52 pm
Nice accessory work Jim! Hope your arm gets to feeling better like the Doc said. Can't wait to hear about the ABC!

DANO
11-13-09, 7:12 pm
"Fuck it", like the army, usually does more than most people do all day!

omfgapolarbear
11-14-09, 12:01 am
Holy flying shit, this puts you're support for my own journey in much greater perspective. Great stuff man.

Firedrake
11-14-09, 12:37 am
Thats a solid little training day. Save yourself for tomorrow

I did, and the time with the doc today has made a world of difference. If you've never had it done, MyoFascial Release Therapy hurts like a sumbitch, but WOW, the difference it makes is amazing.

Lookin' good in here, as always.... How is the shoulder/arm doin'...???

Better now . . .

Great looking work Jim... Fuck it days are where some important work can get done.

Yeah, this was just some stuff that doesn't get a lot of attention some days, so . . .

Nice accessory work Jim! Hope your arm gets to feeling better like the Doc said. Can't wait to hear about the ABC!

It's a LOT better tonight.

"Fuck it", like the army, usually does more than most people do all day!

Some days, 'tis true.

Holy flying shit, this puts you're support for my own journey in much greater perspective. Great stuff man.

We are here to support each other, bro -- that's what this Forum is all about. I've received so MUCH support from this Forum during my Journey, I just hope to pass a little on. We're all Animals. That makes us different from the run-of-the-mill gym rat; we have to stick together. Glad to have you along!

. . . this afternoon with the Doc:

Well, as I said above, MyoFascial Release Therapy hurts! The doctor digs into the muscles and the joints WHILE you move them. When the joint is inflamed or bound up, that means he's forcing things to move and unlock.

SHIT!

The good news, is that it works. Shoulders and arm and happier than in a couple of weeks. He wants to see me again Monday, to see what I do to it tomorrow on back day with Rage, and Monday morning's arm day, but he says hit it as hard as I feel like -- which is pretty hard.

One thing I -did- notice today during the exam -- I caught a picture of my right side with my arm raised in a mirror -- I knew I'd put on size in my back during Iron Contest, but I didn't realize how FAST -- the stretch marks REALLY startled me. Gotta hit the Vitamin E oil, big time.

Oh well -- time to get some rest for tomorrow's aBACKolypse.

RK
11-14-09, 12:40 am
have fun tomorrow! dont let those youngins hold u back none haha

Q
11-14-09, 12:43 am
Glad to hear the therapy helped. Have fun working back with Rage tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't aggravate anything.

Phil800101
11-14-09, 4:00 am
Solid work bro! Glad to hear the therapy is working, good deal. Hope you have a blast tomorrow!

Steve101
11-14-09, 7:33 am
Glad to hear you are back in action - I can see the Yellow PR's coming up real soon

Psycho77
11-14-09, 9:40 am
Solid workouts, Jim!

Stretch marks huh, wear em proudly haha.
That MyoFascial Release Therapy sounds brutal but I am very curious about it.

Pizzalamp
11-14-09, 9:45 am
stretch marks ftw!!!!

rob_in_korea
11-15-09, 10:41 am
Sorry I am late to the party. Solid workouts as usual drake.

-Rob

DANO
11-15-09, 11:37 am
haha! any of those stretch marks in the shape of a "V" to match your avatar!?!

Vaze_06
11-15-09, 2:20 pm
glad everything is wel for ya sir

Firedrake
11-16-09, 1:58 pm
have fun tomorrow! dont let those youngins hold u back none haha

Oh, Saturday was heaps of fun -- it's been a long time since I've been able to work to absolute failure with a good spotter, and Rage's new technique almost GUARANTEES it.

Glad to hear the therapy helped. Have fun working back with Rage tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't aggravate anything.

Nah, everything was fine Saturday, but arm is still screwy today, though not as bad. Back to doc at lunch.

Solid work bro! Glad to hear the therapy is working, good deal. Hope you have a blast tomorrow!

I did, thanks!

Glad to hear you are back in action - I can see the Yellow PR's coming up real soon

Soon, bro, soon. I don't like stagnating.

Solid workouts, Jim!

Stretch marks huh, wear em proudly haha.
That MyoFascial Release Therapy sounds brutal but I am very curious about it.

It's a real winner, once you stop cussing at the doctor.

stretch marks ftw!!!!

They kinda surprised, me, but the way my back has been growing, I suppose they shouldn't.

Sorry I am late to the party. Solid workouts as usual drake.

-Rob

Never late, Rob -- besides, you've been busy! Glad to have you along.

haha! any of those stretch marks in the shape of a "V" to match your avatar!?!

No, 'fraid not.

glad everything is wel for ya sir

Doin' pretty good, little meathead -- how're you?

Okay -- I probably should've done this yesterday, but I was sleeping a lot.

SATURDAY AT THE ABC

Well, Rage, Sifusteve, InkdMuscle, AZN-BEEF, Vic, Jerry, Joe (the last three don't have Forum names as far as I know) and I met up at Gold's Temecula on Saturday -- a great facility. Rage wanted to show us his new training technique, and it's a killer.

I did:

Neutral wide-grip pulldowns: 150 x 20, 180 x 10, 210 x 10, 210 x 10

Wide Grip Pullups 1 x 5 (yeah, 5, and at that, I had Sifusteve holding my legs to keep me from swinging). Rage and others were doing 'em with 8 straight reps then 4 forced negatives, but I knew I wasn't ready for that.

Hammer Strength Hi Row: 2pps x 8 +4 x 3 -- doing the forced negs on these is nasty - - expecially with SOME people trying to make you laugh while resisting.

Hammer Strength Lo Rows: 3 pps x 8 + 4 x 3

Rear Delt Machine: 75 x 8 + 4 x 3 -- I got schooled on this one. I was doing 125 for straight reps, but trying to do the 8+4 was killer -- I completely went to failure on these, and the rear delts just wouldn't fire at the end.

Seated Calf Raises 3 plates x 25 x 3 -- again, others were doing 'em with the forced negs, but my calves aren't in a place to do that, as far as I'm concerned.

Angled Seated Calf Machine: 1 pps x 25 x 2 -- I don't like this machine -- my knees don't appreciate how you have to get into it. It was funny, though, watching AZN BEEF with at least 4 pps and Rage, Steve and Joe pressing down on his negatives . . . damn that boy's strong!

Then we went and demolished Claim Jumper. Ask InkdMuscle about the Mother Lode sandwich he had a hard time finishing . . .

MONDAY'S ARM FUN:

Warmups:

Hip Lifts: 135 x 15 x 3 -- back to the plates -- they're more awkward to use, but the bar bruised my hip bone.

s/s with Knee Up Crunches: 50 x 3

DD, SS, Lumbar Stretch

Dips: BW x 15, +45 x 10, +45 x 10 . . . I'll go up next week

Single Arm Triceps Pressdown: 75x10/45 x 10 x 3

OH Rope Handle Extensions: 60 x 20, 80 x 10m, 80 x 10

EZ Bar Curls s/s w/Rev. EZ Bar Curls: 75 X 10, 75 X 10, 75 X 8 DAMMIT, the elbow kicked up again . . .

Hammer Curls: 65 x 10, 65 x 10 d/s 45 x 10 d/s 25 x 10

Hammer Preacher Curls: 55 x 10 75 x 10, 75 x 10

Elbow was screaming "DONE!" Crap. Back to the doc.

N. Motta
11-16-09, 2:18 pm
Hell yea Drake. I dunno if I've said it before, but your intensity and consistency is motivating as hell. That's where I wanna be when I'm your age. Not that your old. :)

weedlewott
11-16-09, 2:53 pm
Jim, when I get to be a dinosaur, I hope to be as big and strong as you. Lol. On a serious note, as iwontquit put it, you are a constant motivation. Always pushing the limits and raising bars. Glad you had a blast at the ABC. That's a solid group of guys you got hitting up the gym with you. Rest the elbow though.

Phil800101
11-16-09, 3:40 pm
Awesome sessions there Jim! Nice volume, no doubt you had a killer pump. How is the old injury feeling?