PDA

View Full Version : Upright row safety?

Muscleguy93
10-23-09, 10:13 pm
I mean it seems like a good mass builder for the traps/delts, but everyone and there mother tells me there unhealthy? is there a certain grip or somthing?

thanks

BigDubbDiesel
10-23-09, 10:25 pm
I mean it seems like a good mass builder for the traps/delts, but everyone and there mother tells me there unhealthy? is there a certain grip or somthing?

thanks

who tells you they're unhealthy? maybe someone with a rotator cuff injury would want to avoid the movement, but I tore my right one 3 years ago and it is one of my favorite exercises...neutral grip with a weighted bar, or wide grip on the smith machine, awesome ROM and awesome exercise to target the rear delts/traps...try them out and see how it feels

Muscleguy93
10-23-09, 10:28 pm
who tells you they're unhealthy? maybe someone with a rotator cuff injury would want to avoid the movement, but I tore my right one 3 years ago and it is one of my favorite exercises...neutral grip with a weighted bar, or wide grip on the smith machine, awesome ROM and awesome exercise to target the rear delts/traps...try them out and see how it feels

thanks man, I am deff goning to add it to the list.

Dr.Platypus
10-23-09, 10:48 pm
kills my shoulders, feels like an injury waiting to happen. but if it feels good to you, do it

t_mh
10-24-09, 12:15 am
I've heard it's bad for the rotator cuff. I think a wider grip helps.

Firefist
10-24-09, 12:52 am

thanks

good exercise i think. if you dont go the full ROM, your not getting much done, however if you pull it up too much, things can go wrong, especially with the rotator cuff. we examined a few cases of trained lifters and rotator cuff injuries. a few of them included torn supraspinatus via upright rows.

WeeMan
10-24-09, 11:25 am
good exercise i think. if you dont go the full ROM, your not getting much done, however if you pull it up too much, things can go wrong, especially with the rotator cuff. we examined a few cases of trained lifters and rotator cuff injuries. a few of them included torn supraspinatus via upright rows.

how far would you say to lift the bar? because i pulled my supraspinatus about a year and a half ago, i lift the bar to my nose and never feel any pain in it.

Firefist
10-24-09, 1:16 pm
how far would you say to lift the bar? because i pulled my supraspinatus about a year and a half ago, i lift the bar to my nose and never feel any pain in it.

im not an expert on the matter, just a student going for phys. therapy, but i pull a little bit over when my arms make one parallel line with each other. just a bit. its worked for me and i dont ever feel pain that much anymore. Also, i used to go really heavy and have to use a little body english to get my last heavy sets up, i stopped doing that. I get on a smith now, throw 45+ on and just really focus on form. i feel it alot better this way.

IronWilson
10-24-09, 3:11 pm
Use dumbells, better ROM and (IMO) safer.

IRN-NML
10-24-09, 3:35 pm
No expert either, but I'd say this is one of those lifts you shouldn't expect to add weight to the bar quickly; hands 4-6 inches apart up to the collarbone & down to the navel. Saw a vid of Ferigno doing them & that appeared to be the range of motion. Start with just the bar, 12-15 reps; note how your wrists & shoulders are feeling for a few weeks; add weight gradually until you're sure you're not feeling problems; then you can maybe bump the weight up more aggresively. I usually do them after standing presses. Go slow and light on them but don't write them off.

Pizzalamp
10-24-09, 8:34 pm
narrow grip up rows are very bad for the rotator cuffs because of the position it puts your shoulders in
much safer to go very wide and pull to the lower pec area

Fury317
10-24-09, 8:56 pm
narrow grip up rows are very bad for the rotator cuffs because of the position it puts your shoulders in
much safer to go very wide and pull to the lower pec area

Dont go really narrow. About shoulder width grip and pull to your lower/middle chest (depending on flexability). I cant go narrow becuase I have a bad shoulder but even if I could, I still think Id go wide. I feel it a lot more that way. Also Charles Glass has said you get the best muscle activation this way, but it depends on how YOU feel really.

Also, try DB instead of EZ bar or BB, theyre a lot better IMO.

mnmvilla2002
10-24-09, 9:10 pm
The way Charles Glass does them is more for the the delts. Use a wide grip and go to lower/middle chest. Check out episode 1 http://videos.bodybuilding.com/show/gettingcutglass

jeff00z28
10-25-09, 12:50 am
theyre ok but there are too many better things to do instead

JasonG
10-25-09, 4:34 am
They are a staple in my shoulder routine. I go wide grip on a smith machine and go to mid chest. Doesn't feel uncomfortable to me. I don't do anything directly for traps though. A few ball busting sets of deadlifts and my traps are trashed the next couple of days!

MrMonday
10-25-09, 11:53 am
I do a dumbbell version that is more of a mass-building exercise for my lateral deltoids.

The bar version does cause pain in my shoulder joints a little, even with a wider grip (although it is much worse with the close-grip).

Muscleguy93
10-25-09, 12:54 pm
I think I'm gonna try these out(wide grip to mid/lower pec) with light weight until i get a feel for it and see how it goes.

thanks.

IRN-NML
10-26-09, 8:32 pm
Yoke Rule #6 – Upright Rows

Now I know some people laugh at this one, but they are weak and pathetic, so pay no mind to their chuckles. Up rows were a staple of my training for many years and I recently brought them back. After a recent up row session, my wife commented on the new growth of my traps so I know these work. I don’t like doing these too heavy as they hurt my shoulder sometimes and my form goes in the dumper. These are done for higher reps; 10-15.

From elitefts site on building a big yoke. See Dr. Platypus' thread 'So you want a big yoke'

desolation
10-28-09, 7:08 pm
some good tips here coz i have been having similar problems
loved the exercise coz of the burn in my trapas but my shoulders felt absolutely fukd and nt in a good way after, probably like u all said - coz i hav had multiple rotator cuff injuries

try learning olypmic lifts, hangpull, snatch handpull etc they bust the traps pretty bad in my experience