PDA

View Full Version : Joint Health

ironjim87
10-28-09, 10:50 pm
Whats up fellas, I love bodybuilding& lifting, however, I got a little scare today in which my dad said that my joints are gonna give out at 40-60 yrs old. He's a doctor and am slightly concerned with what he's saying. Of course, I'm never gonna back down in training. I'm gonna push for life. I'm a sports& exercise science major in college and I know that weight training increases bone strength, but does training kill your joints, especially if your a serious lifter? If so what should be done to protect your joints?

BryanSmash!
10-29-09, 3:19 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/flex.html#

Take some of that and you'll be fine. Also lift smartly and you won't be crippled when you get older.

GUNS
10-29-09, 5:00 am
I fully agree with what Bryansmash! said. I am turning 40 in July and have been into many sport, running started at 4th grade-12, football, baseball, rock climbing, And weight training when I was 19. I have a few injuries all due to my own fault. Not being cautious being #1. I have been taking a joint suppliment for the last year or so and it has been great. Waiting on my flex to get in now. Keep pushing the weights, proper form is key, plenty of pre-stretching and warm-up.

sunny_max
10-29-09, 6:37 am
the thing i like about flex is that it can be used at any age....its not only for ppl over 30 or ppl over 40......etc etc.....it has very good reviews and i have been using it for 3 months now.....

GJN5002
10-29-09, 11:18 am
Whats up fellas, I love bodybuilding& lifting, however, I got a little scare today in which my dad said that my joints are gonna give out at 40-60 yrs old. He's a doctor and am slightly concerned with what he's saying. Of course, I'm never gonna back down in training. I'm gonna push for life. I'm a sports& exercise science major in college and I know that weight training increases bone strength, but does training kill your joints, especially if your a serious lifter? If so what should be done to protect your joints?

Some joint problems in your 50's would be considered normal I think, although in most people its because they arent fit and fall or try to play some basketball after sitting on their asses for 5 years. How many older folks do you know that never lifted or took care off themselves and need joint replacements, probably a few.

I think the best thing you can do is listen to your body. If something hurts avoid it, research what makes it hurt, it proabably either muscular imbalance or over use. You can correct a lot of those problems. I had some elbow issues when I was 20, I stopped doing skull crushed and french presses so much and they went away for the most part. Work on good form and dont be an idiot trying to lift way too much. I really think its all abotu using your head. If you are sports science major you will no doubt learn a lot about biomechanics and have a good grasp of how to correct the body.

Dotn sweat it, just listen to your body. You can be sedentary for the next 40-60 years and die of heart disease or diabetes or be active and have some possible joint pain.

live2lift
10-29-09, 12:44 pm

You could do like others have said and add FLEX to your supp arsenal if budget allows. It is hands down the best joint supp out. Another thing that helps is to not lock out on exercises if you can help it. This keeps the tension on the working muscle and not the joint.

Peace

ironjim87
10-29-09, 1:03 pm
Sounds good guys, I completely agree. Currently I am experiencing no joint pain (don't expect to anytime soon) and am going with it and training hard.

fenix237
10-29-09, 1:11 pm
i'm 37 and have been lifting hard and playing sports since i was a teenager- so far i've made out pretty good. i have been taking Flex for a few months now and i can say this shit is kickass! i had a couple minor nagging injuries that were annoying as much as they were painful, and they were gone within 10 days.

but to get back to the OP- when training- always warm up thoroughly, use very good form, and be smart about what your doing to your body. obviously, your diet is very important for every reason. also, i believe genetics play a very important role in determining how long you can bang some heavy weight around (at least pain free)

Beowulf
10-29-09, 2:33 pm
You could argue that resistance training could strengthen your bones and joints, of course assuming you do it right. As others have said, I use Animal Flex just in case.

Louie
10-29-09, 8:10 pm
i just started using Animal Flex last week. I am a 45 year old male and have Ra and get very stiff at times and its even hurts when I walk! Do you think Animal Flex will help? I take 2 packs a day do you think that is two much or should I try 3 packs? I do have to say when I am in pain on a damp day even more I warm up very good but pumping iron real hard mekes me feel better!

Louie Any suggestions appreciated!

fenix237
10-30-09, 12:50 pm
i just started using Animal Flex last week. I am a 45 year old male and have Ra and get very stiff at times and its even hurts when I walk! Do you think Animal Flex will help? I take 2 packs a day do you think that is two much or should I try 3 packs? I do have to say when I am in pain on a damp day even more I warm up very good but pumping iron real hard mekes me feel better!

Louie Any suggestions appreciated!

Louie, what's up bro? yes, i def think that Flex is worth a shot- even if it doesn't cure the RA, it will benefit your other joints when pounding the weights. i don't think 2 packs a day will hurt but from what i read, you do not need to take more than one a day- just try 1 pack a day for a few weeks and see how it works. I love Flex, but it isn't cheap either. a Watchmen (forget which one) once suggested to take an OTC joint formula if you want extra- Sportpharma has a great joint formual that is supposed to be great, especially for the money

Louie
10-31-09, 10:36 am
Thank you MichelinMan I appreciate your advice!