PDA

View Full Version : Today I was inspired...

TigerAce01
11-02-09, 11:16 pm
This weekend was long as hell. My brother, Cstlfx, and I partook in a 3 day, 60 mile breast cancer walk, being a part of the gear and tent crew. With very little sleep, shitty food, and triple digit temperatures, we helped load, transport, and unload the luggage and gear of about 1600 walkers on 2 occasions, and also helping other crews. Needless to say, it was quite an experience, and I was pretty moved.

This set the stage for tonight...

I didn't think I should have worked out tonight. I was tired as hell, and I was telling myself to relax, saying to myself that my body was too weak and sore to get in a good workout. I went anyway, and about halfway through my workout, something amazing happened. In through the door walked a young boy...with two heavy walking crutches, leg braces, and an aide at his side...and a massive smile. He went over to the bench with his mother and aide, and my gym owner started to set up his workout. He could only do upper body exercises, and bench press was his favorite.

At this point, I felt like this was just something he liked to do, nothing amazing...but then I saw him workout...

He loved every second of it. All he wanted to do was get that bar up. In the middle of my workout, thought I was going to pack it up and leave...then I see this kid...handicapped, barely able to walk...but putting it all out there on his favorite exercise. I walked up to his mom, and started talking to her and telling her how much he was inspiring me...and then tears started to form in my eyes. She started to say how hard it was to find something he truly loved and was able to do...and powerlifting found him. In the middle of my workout...I began to cry. I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Then his mother started to cry with me. It was the most inspiring moment of my life. I pushed myself as hard as I could in my final sets...not giving myself an inch. I thought about how many gifts I have...even those we all take for granted...like being able to walk...like being able to squat a loaded barbell...like being able to be independent...

Be inspired brothers...never give an inch that someone else dreams every single day to have.

-Ace

Dr.Platypus
11-02-09, 11:40 pm
amen to that brother

Vaze_06
11-02-09, 11:41 pm
lol damn... thanks bro. exactly what i needed to read after loading my brain with bio non-sense ahah

mcbeast
11-03-09, 5:01 am
very inspirational brotha..

musclealchemist
11-03-09, 8:13 am
very nice.

Birdman
11-03-09, 8:40 am
wow very inspirational..thanks for the post bro

Maccabee
11-03-09, 9:27 am
Thats a great story. Very motivational.

wedge
11-03-09, 9:42 am
Definitely a great story and source of inspiration. Thanks for the post.

andrewT
11-03-09, 11:36 am
Good post man

People who don't have everything we have definitely show us how to live!

There is a guy who comes to my gym in a wheel chair, he also takes the same bus as me to school. The bus drivers are jerks and make a big deal about getting him on the bus. But he is so damn independent and strong. People huff and puff and kiss their teeth when they see him and it makes me sick. But I love seeing him, I love how he is so strong willed, doesn't give a shit about the people that don't know how it is and he keeps pushing on. I feel like punching the dumb prejudice bus drivers who obviously disregarded their training on how to use the wheel chair ramps. I told one to fuck off once. I am not going to go into detail, but the next time the stupid lazy bus driver comes late and proceeds to fuck this kid over I am getting my car and driving him to school!

desolation
11-03-09, 7:39 pm
firstly great post Tiger

great add andrew i would probably hook the fukn bus driver, cant stand assholes dat take out their frustration in life against ppl like dat

my uncle was born with a disability in his legs, not sure about full details (didnt seem appropriate to ask), i knw it is related to his leg bone structure being rotated inwards, he can walk although it is limited to that (at best a slow jog). had a few chats with him nd he said it was really difficult for him at the start - u can imagine being a kid with a disabiliy nd all the fukn assholes which will mock u for it. he always loved all the sports he could never really compete in due to his disability.

eventually he found his passion in table tennis. nd he workd hard at it even though no1 apart from the close family believed he would achieve nything. but he didnt giv a shit he saw what he wanted nd went for it all guns blazing (even though at first his parent were against it). eventually he kept winning, getting better - he has a mass amount of gold medals from comps nd trophies - either he never came second or just threw them away). his legs were getting progressively worse as docs threatened him dat he would end up in a wheelchair due to damage from the quick jarring movements in table tennis. but he didnt give in, his goal was to make it to the paralympics nd he got there twice in the last two, even won a silver medal in doubles in beijing. he said the greatest part was proving to himself that he could do it even though he got dealt a shitty hand

now he is partially retired (or so he claims) but still coaches nd loves to play. this just goes to show what determinations can achieve, coming from a small town with a disability he overcame all the odds nd realised his dream - he is one of the ppl i am inspired by.

i have also worked with some disabled ppl in my sport & rec course nd most of them hav more determination nd desire to live an active nd eventfull life than pretty much ny1 i know who is not disabled.

some ppl say we should feel sorry for them. But i say nd most of them would say they feel sorry for us because despite their disabilities they they have more passion nd determination to actually live their life to its full potential - it is interesting how u can learn about urself from them, im turning 21 next year nd i hav realised how true it is, all the things i hav failed in life were not due to some bullshit occurance but because i did nt have the courage and determination to overcome the advesity nd dat is shamefull but very true, i hav found a new path recently after i had a chat with my uncle read the animal journey book (great for motivation) nd just reflected on the past.

its not about proving sumthing to all the crictics/nonebelievers/doubters etc it is about proving it to YOURSELF nd having the feeling dat "yeh i did it"

sorry if some of this sounds a bit preachy but it is wat it is

nyways once again great posts
go hard nd peace to all the animal brethren

Firefist
11-03-09, 8:18 pm
good posts desolation, andrew and tiger.

i would have cried my eyes out if i saw that kid.

TigerAce01
11-03-09, 9:34 pm
Thank you for the posts brothers, we are all inspired everyday by something, or else we wouldn't be where or who we are.

-Ace

xMATT182x
11-04-09, 1:35 am
Thats awesome man, I'm right here with ya, my eyes about started welling up just reading this! Great story bro,thank you.

Firedrake
11-06-09, 9:32 am
That's an amazing tale. There's a young man, sponsored by Gaspari as I recall, who has cerebral palsy, but who's actually gotten himself into good enough condition to get on stage! Never judge someone who is "handicapped" as limited -- they never seem to think so, once they've found something they love.

Yeah, there are certain things this young man cannot do, but he'll do everything else he possibly can!

Deathride
11-06-09, 7:43 pm
Amen to all of the above, brothers!

I am inspired by the tales of the able-bodied brethren here on this board. Tales of strength and size beyond what I even hope to accomplish. To here these stories makes me even more inspired to fuck off what people see as the norm and the push myself to greater things....

Mucho respect. Deathride

TigerAce01
11-06-09, 10:55 pm
That's an amazing tale. There's a young man, sponsored by Gaspari as I recall, who has cerebral palsy, but who's actually gotten himself into good enough condition to get on stage! Never judge someone who is "handicapped" as limited -- they never seem to think so, once they've found something they love.

Yeah, there are certain things this young man cannot do, but he'll do everything else he possibly can!

Yea, Stevie Zee...if anyone hasn't watched the video, go to youtube and search for the Stevie Zee story...I don't want to post the link because it is Gaspari sponsored...

-Ace

desolation
11-07-09, 6:36 pm
thanks for that recent addition

Stevie Zee is the man and a true inspiration, i just watched 1 of the videos at youtube and i gota say that it was awsome. im strarting my official journey tommorow to get to where i want to be and that made me more motivated than ever, made me want to start today

it almost makes you feel bad about yourself doesnt it, when you see people like him give it all he is got despite everything else he goes throug in life and all the dedication to do little things we take for granted.

thanks to stevie one more person to be truly inspired by

craig028
11-10-09, 7:43 pm
one of the owners of my gym is in a wheelchair and everytime i come in to do leg day and i see him i put in that extra work because i know everyday i can wake up and use my legs is another chance to get it right and i might not get that chance again so when im balls deep in a grueling leg workout i say no i cant quit now i wont quit now because i may never get the chance again. you gotta seize everymoment and never give one back cause you just never know whats gonna happen...

Firefist
11-10-09, 8:27 pm
doesnt nessesarily have to apply to lifting, but life.

i got this group add on facebook, ususally i just click accept and move on. however, on this particular one, i clicked the title to see what it was.

there was this 5 year old boy with cancer, they were asking us to send them christmas wishes or cards to the family. they were giving him christmas early because the doctor didnt give him much time left. I saw the picture of this kid, and i wanted to cry.

at five years young, and he was told he was going to die. think about all the things this could become, all the things he could done, all the people he could influence.

for the sake of all thats left of the word fairness, i pray that he gets better.

we can all use this as an example to live life to the fullest, and to make everyday something special.

craig028
11-10-09, 9:08 pm
amen to that!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
11-10-09, 9:51 pm
Be inspired brothers...never give an inch that someone else dreams every single day to have.

-Ace

Ace, this quote really hit home bro. Thanks for sharing your story.

And you have my respect and thanks for helping with the breast cancer walk. My great grandmother is a breast cancer survivor, and my mother and I have participated in a few walks.