PDA

View Full Version : My biceps training - is it good enough?

drag0590
11-03-09, 10:08 pm
Barbell curls
3x10-8-6 increasing the weight by 5-10 pounds each set

preacher curls
3x12-8-4/6 increasing the weight by 5-10 pounds each set

incline dumbbell curls
3x 12-8-4/6 increasing the weight by 5-10 pounds each set

concentration curl
2x 10 reps

does this seem like a good routine for biceps?

Little Z
11-03-09, 10:21 pm
Looks solid, but you always want to remember to shock the muscles.. depending on how you're doin it, like if this is your current bi split
then hit em hard, but remember to change it up..

Maccabee
11-03-09, 10:23 pm
Yes it does. However, in the end it all depends on what the mirror is telling you.

If you dont see results then change it up a little bit. You can also apply other intensity techniques like 21's, drop sets, super sets, rest pause, et...the list goes on.

drag0590
11-03-09, 10:24 pm
change it up every 6 weeks right?
and i always felt that certain excersises dont work well for my biceps

the ones that i really feel are:

barbell curls(with barbell)
close grip curls (with ez bar)
preacher curls (with ez bar)
incline curls (with dumbells)
cable curls
alternating hammers

but the top 2 that give me the most pump are: barbell curls and preachers..

Little Z
11-03-09, 10:29 pm
Yes it does. However, in the end it all depends on what the mirror is telling you.

If you dont see results then change it up a little bit. You can also apply other intensity techniques like 21's, drop sets, super sets, rest pause, et...the list goes on.

Bingo.. ^^ solid advice..

change it up every 6 weeks right?
and i always felt that certain excersises dont work well for my biceps

the ones that i really feel are:

barbell curls(with barbell)
close grip curls (with ez bar)
preacher curls (with ez bar)
incline curls (with dumbells)
cable curls
alternating hammers

but the top 2 that give me the most pump are: barbell curls and preachers..

if you're not feelin it.. change it, like you've been doin.. if you're getting results with your current split stick to it until you are no longer liking what
you see.. plain and simple..

you ever done a set of preachers this way..

reverse wide > wide > reverse close > close 8 each grip.. 4 sets.. blasts my bis into next week brother.. after each set ill do some semi-light pressdowns

drag0590
11-03-09, 10:54 pm
dammm that sounds sick bro
i gota give that preacher tecnhique a go sometime
thanx

weedlewott
11-03-09, 11:04 pm
It is sick.. I ran that for a couple weeks... Insane. You've got the basics of what you need.

It's not necessarily every 6 weeks, it's when you feel it's time to change. Make sure to change your grip though. Clsoe grip works the inside head more, and wide grip works the outside head more. You need to make sure you're hitting the entire thing, so do Incline Curls, Straight BB Curls, Alternating Standing Curls, and Cambered bar curls, reverse and regular. Do work man. Failure should come around 8-10 reps. heavy weights. Forced reps stimulate new growth. Hit failure, and pump out two or three more. Cheat if you have to, but give it your all. Good luck brother.

drag0590
11-03-09, 11:22 pm
ya will do bro thanx alot

i always stick with the basics...i get the best results when i stick with the basics

prowrestler
11-04-09, 12:47 am
progress is key

lift 100lbs 4x10 for the entire year and i promise you, your arms will be the same

Little Z
11-04-09, 1:10 am
dammm that sounds sick bro
i gota give that preacher tecnhique a go sometime
thanx

ya it gives a massive pump.. even just the standard 15lb ez curl.. because of the movements.. forearms get burnt as well..

but like weedlewott and pro have basically stated.. change it up.. progress, stick with what works, boot what doesnt..

BryanSmash!
11-04-09, 1:13 am
Barbell curls

preacher curls

incline dumbbell curls

concentration curl
2x 10 reps

Personally, I think this is too much work for the biceps. I'd recommend doing BBcurls OR preacher curls, not both in the same workout. Also,if you run your workout with BB Curls, Incline DB Curls, and Concentration Curls, it mirrors a Positions of Flexion workout (mid-rande, stretch, and contracted) used by Steve Holman and Johnathan Lawson for Ironman magazine that has worked well for many.

sixareborn
11-04-09, 11:07 pm
all good info...i'd say i dunno how your warming up, but i usually start with whatever exercise you want with a moderate weight for like 15-20 reps for 2 sets, it really gets the biceps rolling and the blood pumping...your workout looks good to me though

Maccabee
11-04-09, 11:13 pm
Also some people follow the same routine for 6 weeks and others change their workouts on a weekly basis. I think in the end it comes down to how advanced or how much experience you have. Usually people who have been in the game a long time need to change their workouts on a weekly basis because they adapt fast.

theharjmann
11-05-09, 6:33 am
Barbell curls

preacher curls

incline dumbbell curls

concentration curl
2x 10 reps

its just a standard arm workout on paper. which is fine,....nothing wrong with that.

its how you train...do you train till failure. do u train will u cant train any more, but then still train more?

or do u go through the motions

thats what you need to ask yourself.

like im sure that workout would be "solid" if ronnie coleman did it, but if an average joe did it it wouldnt be "solid"

just train hard.

Lightnin'
11-05-09, 3:10 pm
Try to "run the rack" 4 sets somewhere in your routine.

Start with 40's or 45's and go to 20's (drop 5 lbs each time) w/ no rest doing 6-8 reps per arm this is 30-40 reps per arm per set. Often Biceps are stubborn like calves and need a volume of reps to be stimulated. Personally, when I started "running the rack" in my program and added strength and size followed.

xxscaxx
11-05-09, 10:53 pm
i like to hit my bi's with heavy dumbbell curls first to get a nice big pump. then my other workouts to follow, and i have been ending with preacher curls nice and slow for a big ass burn. still using heavy weight keeping it within the 8-12 range. i've been easy with anything bar related bc my stupid wrist. but i really try to go no more than 10 reps.

i've been keeping it simple and doing compound movements and no more than 3 different exercises. been workin for me. just find something that work and stick to it until you hit a plateau or not seeing any results.

violator
11-06-09, 1:26 am
mmmm... i seem to differ from the majority... i prefer frequency over volume...
i only hit 2-3 worksets for bis twice a week.... they are also hit by indirect work such as underhand BB rows...
i personally wouldnt use techniques like drops/ runnin the rack etc..why?...because these are advanced techniques for advanced lifters....& im not advanced, as im sure u arent either...

sounds crazy i know...but hey, thats just me...im barely an intermediate in this game....