PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about rippetoes

mr.bump
11-07-09, 10:32 am
1.How do I start this ? Ive been out for a while with an injury so for the last month and a bit I have been doing bodyweight exercises.

So how do I workout what weight to lift for the working sets ?

Also should I be struggling to lift the weight on the last set ?

2. It says not to do heavy cardio but cant I just eat a big meal affter my workout to help recover my muscles ?

I will be doing 2 cardio days on my off days I will be doing 8 rounds on the heavy bag starting of with one round shadow boxing before it and one round skipping after it (warm up and cool down )

shizz702
11-07-09, 10:35 am
Work your way up to weight that you can handle for 3 sets of 5 reps. You do 3 sets of 5 reps every workout and add 5 lbs to the bar each time.

You should not be struggling til you get at least well past a month into the program.

mr.bump
11-07-09, 10:47 am
Thanks for that.
What about the cardio it will last 30 min all together

shizz702
11-07-09, 11:22 am
If you haven't already, read this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

The cardio is on you, if you want to do it, go ahead.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it with this program cause the goal of this routine is linear progress on the basic barbell lifts and anything added to it could interfere with recovery.

mr.bump
11-07-09, 11:38 am
Good link I got givein this one http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752 not too much detail here tho.

omfgapolarbear
11-07-09, 12:52 pm
You start with the first workout, on the first day. I dunno how else you should start. As for weight, start with a weight you know you can easily lift for three sets of five. For the first few weeks you should be able to put on five to ten pounds on every lift every week, if not every day, pretty easily. After about a month or two it should slow down to five pounds or so a week, then gradually taper off to the point you no longer make strength gains and you need to either find a new routine or reset yourself* (depending on your goals).

As for cardio, do it if you want, but only if you EAT enough. Cardio will add to the amount you need to eat, and depending on the intensity it can add a fair bit. I personally wouldn't do it, but I also loathe cardio.

*To reset yourself on a strength routine you move all weights back to 75 or 80% of whatever weight you are stalling on and then continue on with the linear progression. Usually it works, when it doesn't, its typically time to either eat more or move on.

mr.bump
11-08-09, 10:08 am
Is there a way to workout how many cals am burning when doing my cardio ? Am trying to go all out when I do it.
Oh and my goal will be lean muscle and strength gain (strength gain being the main thing)

Kryptonite
11-08-09, 12:46 pm
Is there a way to workout how many cals am burning when doing my cardio ? Am trying to go all out when I do it.
Oh and my goal will be lean muscle and strength gain (strength gain being the main thing)

Then eat clean, skip all cardio, and stick to your workout routine.

mr.bump
11-08-09, 2:17 pm
Well am not giving up the cardio I enjoy doing it and am just starting to get better at it.
So should I do a different program ?

Kryptonite
11-08-09, 2:59 pm
Cardio's cardio no matter how you do it. So, I'd go for the next best thing and dropping it down to 10 - 15 minutes rather than 30... Lower the intensity of it and focus on accuracy and strength rather than speed. Lifting will increase your speed anyway.