PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Lunch

Glory
11-08-09, 7:05 pm
I need some help with what to pack for a lunch to bring to school. My lunch hour is from 10:44-11:37.

Current Lunch:
Whole wheat sandwich - Turkey & Ham, Jalapeno cheese, Lettuce.
Carrots
Cucumbers
Roasted NON-salted almonds
Low-fat cheddar cheese w/crackers

I'm sitting at 174lbs and I want to reach 185lbs.

Any food tips on what to pack, etc, etc would be great... I'd rather stay away from cooking.

Firefist
11-08-09, 7:20 pm
i hate to be a dick, but i gotta ask. why not get into some cooking? its not that hard at all, and its a valuable life lesson, not just for bodybuilding, but for life in general. If you can cook, youve got a one up on all the other bros out there tryin to find mates =) haha. seriously though, your gonna have to learn sooner or later, might as well start now!

lunch, eh. well the good thing is you arent eating those cafeteria lunches. sandwiches are good and all, very convienient and easy to take around. you can do easy stuff like scrambling an egg in a nonstick pan and throwin that in there. or make chicken breast sandwiches.

how bout carrying some hardware around? tupperware, corningware, and pyrex are your freinds! you can do VERY simple things like homemade chili, or some spaghetti. all very easy things to make.

also, if you are goin for 185, i wouldnt just be worried about lunch. school hours are loooooong as hell. you need to keep yourself well-fed, not just when the school authorities say you can. What does this mean? carry some cans of tuna, pack a few extra sandwiches, or ( God forbid your school bans protien shakes like in that one thread), take some whey with ya. In some of my classes, the lecture hall was very cramped, and eating stuff would make everyone turn to me cause of the smell. I started to eat my tuna in the bathroom in between classes and such.

in closing, dont worry too much about just your lunch (which is good imo), but rather, the WHOLE PICTURE!!!!

good luck buddy!

Glory
11-08-09, 7:26 pm
I'd love to see the dirty looks I get poundin' back a shake in class, haha. At my school, me and my buddy are the only serious lifters around. The tuna idea is good, I'm probably going to pick up some protein bars next time I run out of supps too.... Thanks for the advice, I always have left-over chicken, rice, fish, spaghetti, etc.. I just never thought of bringing it in a container and how easy it is.

willah
11-08-09, 7:29 pm
Are you allowed to snack during class?

Sandwiches are decent - easy to make and easy to eat, so you're on track with those.

Find whatever kind of protein you can, and slap it between two peices of whole wheat bread (no crap white bread). Make two for lunch and one or two to slam between class when you get hungry. Add in a shake or two and some fresh fruit and you're good to go for the day. Some snacks like you mentioned (nuts, etc.) are good to have around too.

You can easily destroy a can of tuna between two sandwiches, or 2-3 eggs if you make egg salad, and thats a ton of good protein and carbs. Peanut butter and jelly works great too.

Also, make a point of raiding the fridge for any leftovers. These can turn into the foundation of some awesome meals.

I see you're from Toronto - maybe stop by the SOS ABC thread (http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=11952).. There are a few of us Ontar-ians there.

Glory
11-08-09, 7:32 pm
I can munch in 3/4 of my classes, besides bio which is in the lab and food is not allowed.... I drink 4-5 water bottles during my school time too. I just don't know how much food is too much food.. I have a huge appetite and I can really pound food back, and get hungry fast. I RARELY ever cheat and eat shit food either.

FewL4no1
11-08-09, 7:39 pm
I can munch in 3/4 of my classes, besides bio which is in the lab and food is not allowed.... I drink 4-5 water bottles during my school time too. I just don't know how much food is too much food.. I have a huge appetite and I can really pound food back, and get hungry fast. I RARELY ever cheat and eat shit food either.

When you are on a bulk, when it comes to clean food (since you sound like someone who is very good about sticking with good food), there is no such thing as too much food, especially if you are someone who finds it hard to put on mass. I'd say eat until you are full, and you will see gains. If you are adding more fat than you would like, cut back about 250-500 cals and up your cardio to a day or two more a week. Like everyone will tell you, it's all about balance, and finding out what works best for you.

But, my main recommendation: Eat.

willah
11-08-09, 7:42 pm
It'll take a while to get it all dialed in, but pretty soon you'll be able to anticipate exactly how much food you'll need for a day. Keep an eye on the mirror and the scale as they will let you know exactly what is and isn't working, and adjust from there.

I say listen to your body, eat whenever you get hungry. Focus on getting in a solid breakfast, and that will give you a good start for the rest of the day. Ideally, you want to eat enough at breakfast that you don't find yourself hungry for 1.5-2 hours. After that, fill in the gaps from there.

With being 16 and all the advantages that come with that, food is your friend. Eat all the time, to the point where people make fun of you.. "Glory, another sandwich, really??". I wish I would have realized sooner that all I have to do to make gains is just up the ante with my eating.

Get a decent gainer shake mix like Real Gains (PM ProtienJunkie on here to see how you can get it in Canada) to help out in between solid meals.

Gambit
11-08-09, 7:49 pm
When I was in my senior year of high school and had started to get serious about lifting and putting on weight, lunch was my favorite time of the year. I went from 140lbs at the start of the year to about 165lbs at graduation.

My lunch was something like this:

Sushi roll (usually salmon or a california)
Two roast beef sandwiches on whole wheat bread
A zip-lock bag of either peanuts or pistachios
Double-cheeseburger (purchased from school)
Ziplock with cauliflower and three red-skinned potatoes
Two twinkies (people forget the nutritional value of the twinkie, haha)
Protein shake with 2% milk

Come to think of it, lunch is still my favorite time of the day...

Glory
11-08-09, 8:36 pm
All really solid advice. I don't even find myself buying things from the cafe at school unless it's a chocolate milk or orange juice..... Besides the lunch that I currently bring, what else should I start bringing to school for food? I find myself dying of hunger by the end of 4th period then I come home, have a preworkout meal and hit the gym.

prowrestler
11-08-09, 8:39 pm
I need some help with what to pack for a lunch to bring to school. My lunch hour is from 10:44-11:37.

Current Lunch:
Whole wheat sandwich - Turkey & Ham, Jalapeno cheese, Lettuce.
Carrots
Cucumbers
Roasted NON-salted almonds
Low-fat cheddar cheese w/crackers

I'm sitting at 174lbs and I want to reach 185lbs.

Any food tips on what to pack, etc, etc would be great... I'd rather stay away from cooking.

looks awsome man.

bring lots of nuts for sure, granola bars, 3 sandwichs and ull be set dude. love seein yougner guys gettin the food in

Kryptonite
11-08-09, 9:39 pm
Looks like everyone's said everything already, but...

Eat as much as you want and then some while bulking.

For lunch bring in a peanut butter and banana sandwitch, (Maybe go Elvis Presley on us and add some honey... Yum.), two of those sandwitches you already posted, wash them down with some of that chocolate milk your school has, and munch on granola bars and almonds during classes. Don't forget to add in a can of tuna a day.

I wasn't a cooker at first either, but now I cook/make ALL of my six meals. (Don't want ma' screwing with my shit.) I definitly reccomend you getting into it too, it's pretty fun to cook up some oatmeal cinnamon nut pancakes in the AM and wash 'em down with a sugar sweet peanut honey butter and chocolate swirl protein shake.

craig028
11-08-09, 10:00 pm
well being high school student myself i have learned to make food either sunday night or wedsday night being that its my off night from the gym so i have some extra time but easy foods like hardboiled eggs,granola bars,apples,whole wheat bread and some turkey dont take any preparing.
when i do cook i make like mashed potatoes and grilled chicken and i put em both in one of those zip lock containers and i break a plastic fork and throw it in the container. or tuna but people yell when i bring tuna cause it smells
hope i could help man ik how you feel when it comes to meals and school

craig028
11-08-09, 10:05 pm
[QUOTE=Glory;839863]I'd love to see the dirty looks I get poundin' back a shake in class, haha. At my school, me and my buddy are the only serious lifters around. The tuna idea is good,

yea, first time i pulled out my shaker bottle filled it with water from the fountain and starting shaking everyone was like wtfff now everybody knows including teachers craig has to feed the beast
i envy you tho tuna is something people hate one time a teacher made me leave class it smelt so bad i was like jeez its just tuna

msktyshha
11-08-09, 10:41 pm
i have been working at a retail store 3 days a week for over 2 years now. I only get 1 lunch break within 11 hours. so heres my meal plan for those 3 days.
meal 1-(at home)around 7:30- 7 eggs with whole wheat bread and milk
meal 2-(at work) around 10:30- protein shake(whey+oats+milk)
meal3-(at work ) around 2:00- rice or bread with meat or chicken
meal4-(at work) around 5:00- protein shake
meal 5 (at home) around 8:30-same as meal 3
meal 6 (at home) before sleep around 10:00-protein shake

I've gone from 145 to 190 just with this simple diet of mines in a year. If I can accomodate a 11 hour period of meal restriction then I bet u can do a 6-8 hour without a sweat. protein shake is the way to go when u have some restrictions on u.