PDA

View Full Version : gallon jug...in glass?

intoodeep25
11-13-09, 12:55 am
so i was watching a vid of evan centopani and he was talking about how he doesnt drink out of plastic bottles because all of the toxins from the plastic leak into the water. i thought it made pretty good sense. he said he had gallon jugs, shaped like the gallon milk jugs, but in glass. Id like to get a few, but i cant find em anywhere online and dont really know where to look? wondering if anyone used something similar? just curious

Berzerker
11-13-09, 1:13 am
i see them at health food stores, like i don't know if you have it up there but we got a place called Whole Foods..but i have seen him there. and Evan videos are pretty entertaining

mcbeast
11-13-09, 3:15 am
In all seriousness, I have a question for Evan. Do you drink milk? Or any substances from plastic containers?

Can someone provide me the link for this interview?

IRN-NML
11-13-09, 8:03 am
Check the grocery store for apple cider in a gallon glass container. Usually in season now & cheap. Drink or dump the ac & use the container.

Firefist
11-13-09, 9:19 am
In all seriousness, I have a question for Evan. Do you drink milk? Or any substances from plastic containers?

alot of independent dairy shops still do glass bottles.

11-13-09, 9:57 am
Are we talking BPA?

N.Rees
11-13-09, 10:26 am
so i was watching a vid of evan centopani and he was talking about how he doesnt drink out of plastic bottles because all of the toxins from the plastic leak into the water. i thought it made pretty good sense. he said he had gallon jugs, shaped like the gallon milk jugs, but in glass. Id like to get a few, but i cant find em anywhere online and dont really know where to look? wondering if anyone used something similar? just curious

could you post the link to that vid? would appreciate it!

intoodeep25
11-13-09, 1:07 pm
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/2446/225/

long vid, lots of info in it. i found his water system pretty interesting to say the least. he mentions how he drinks out of glass gallon jugs but i dont think he shows one. hopefully i can find one soon. i made the switch to glass tupperware, i always hated putting warm food in those plastic containers. just like evan said its not worth being huge if your unhealthy and killing your body.

Cstlfx
11-13-09, 1:20 pm
I havent seen many that look like a Milk Jug, but there are gallon jugs that wine comes in. The ones I've seen have a small loop at the top for a finger, not like a handle that you can get 3-4 fingers in.

I'm sure if you have a big enough liquor store near you, or a specialty store, you could buy glass jugs that people buy to keep their homemade liquor/wine in.

Hell, you may even be able to find some at a water store. You know, the place where people take gallon jugs to get refilled? I have some around me, I know they sell different containers, they may have your glass jugs as well.

intoodeep25
11-13-09, 1:47 pm
i mean seriously, ive been using an empty milk jug and then in 2 days when i get done drinking the milk out of the other then use it, and it may not seem like a big deal, but the reports ive read after watching evans video say that the plastic leaks into the water and its really bad for your liver, kidneys and other organs. and it makes sense, id rather just make the switch

11-13-09, 2:16 pm
Oh Mighty Groupthink.

J Wong
11-13-09, 2:21 pm
I must be fucked, I drink about 25 bottles of water a day.

MentalTwitch
11-13-09, 3:05 pm
It depends on the types of plastic. You have to look at the number in the recycle symbol. I forgot what numbers but i can try to check. The more recycled ones and less polystyrene are not so bad. I think its a bit ore-rated but there is research behind it and cancer inducing chems. I know a few people here at school that know alot about it.(pre-med,biochem and an organic chem. majors) im only bio/micro so i never bothered to look into it to much.

Also, keep the bottles out of heat and sunlight it will slow the release of the harmful chems. Re-use 1 -2 time in a day-2 period is ok but after that i'd ditch it.

MentalTwitch
11-13-09, 3:14 pm
I happend to just ask him online... this is direct form a pre-med person as if it matters. Very smart though.

1:59pmME
sorry, what number are the worst plastics to drink from repeatedly or in general?

136?

2:01pmHIM

1, 2, are okay for a few repeats, 4 and 5 i think for even longer

2:02pmME
awesome, ill rememebr this time!

2:02pmHIM
if you remember anything, make it 'avoid 6 like the plague'

um... also dont drink from PVC but i think thats obvious and not that common for containers

intoodeep25
11-14-09, 12:34 am
thats good i guess, the jugs i use are 2's...

went to whole foods, didnt know it but theres one 20 mins from my house. pretty cool place, no glass jugs like im lookin for though. oh well, hopefully i can find one soon

N.Rees
11-14-09, 8:18 am
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/2446/225/

long vid, lots of info in it. i found his water system pretty interesting to say the least. he mentions how he drinks out of glass gallon jugs but i dont think he shows one. hopefully i can find one soon. i made the switch to glass tupperware, i always hated putting warm food in those plastic containers. just like evan said its not worth being huge if your unhealthy and killing your body.

thx brother...

prowrestler
11-14-09, 1:25 pm
tap water...

mritter3
11-14-09, 1:44 pm

if you have a question for evan, just go to ask the animals and click on the Ox link....he will answer your question on that thread.

kauaiboy25
11-14-09, 4:41 pm
damn...i must be fucked.....i use a plastic gal jug daily, switching the jugs monthly...washing them out every week...shit, i gotta get those glass ones...

strivin for more
11-14-09, 6:12 pm
yea shit... ive used the same one now for like, 3 months. ill have to get on switchin it.

intoodeep25
11-14-09, 6:18 pm
i use mine for a few days and it starts to stink...that tells me something besides water is, well, in my water if the jug starts stinking like that

JasonG
11-14-09, 6:21 pm
I'm afraid I would break a gallon glass one if I took it to the gym or work. I think I'll be fine with my plastic, but I have heard about this too.

kauaiboy25
11-15-09, 2:41 am
i use mine for a few days and it starts to stink...that tells me something besides water is, well, in my water if the jug starts stinking like that

do you put your lips on the bottle or do you dump ithe water your mouth in waterfall style?.....i waterfall it and i have no probs with it smelling

dominate77
11-15-09, 3:16 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bbcom/steelwaterbottle.html
get one of these and drink 6 a day. easier to carry around, and it's steel

dominate77
11-15-09, 3:18 am
also, does he still use the universal plastic shakers? wondered that since that video of him doing his meal preparation

intoodeep25
11-15-09, 11:26 am
ya he does, atleast in his vids. its like you cant escape plastic though. look around your kitchen and everywhere else. even the paks we all love are plastic baggies. the recycle number is really what to watch for i guess. 1's, which are almost all water bottles, are for one time use, not to be refilled.6's and 7's are bad as well. most tupperware is 5, but i always put hot food in them, which is why i switched to glass

t_mh
11-15-09, 4:16 pm
Definitely worth getting a water bottle. If you use plastic bottles and refill them you should probably change it every once in a while.

11-16-09, 9:12 am
look around your kitchen and everywhere else. most tupperware is 5, but i always put hot food in them, which is why i switched to glass

Exactly. All this hysteria about what to drink water out of, so much of the world around us is plastic, including the Tupperware many of us use. To worry about one thing while neglecting everything else is shortsighted.

intoodeep25
11-16-09, 10:22 am
ok, and that was the point i was trying to make haha...i already said i switched to glass tupperware, this is just another step after many other steps ive already made. im not gonna go nutty over it, its just something i see that i can fix, so why not go ahead and fix it

11-16-09, 10:33 am
ok, and that was the point i was trying to make haha...i already said i switched to glass tupperware, this is just another step after many other steps ive already made. im not gonna go nutty over it, its just something i see that i can fix, so why not go ahead and fix it

That's the spirit, man. Every little bit counts, right? I just found it amusing how an issue like this creates a kind of internet hysteria, and suddenly everyone is throwing out their plastic water jugs because of something one person is doing. If you care enough about the issue, if it scares you enough, then you need to look at everything and not just your gallon jug. BPA is not just found in plastic bottles, but also in things your dentist may use. It's found in your car (are you not going to drive it?). It's in CDs and DVDs (are you going to wash your hands every time you start up your favorite tunes?). It's used in the resins that line canned foods and beverages (are you going to stop buying canned foods and drinking soda?). Your favorite takeout foods may come in containers that contain BPA (will you stop ordering takeout?). What kind of shower curtain do you use, vinyl? If so, you'd better throw it out, just in case, and replace it with a pricier cloth curtain. In the grand scheme of things, throwing our your plastic jugs may be nothing more than just a drop in the bucket. But I guess a drop can soothe the fears of many. People have an uncanny knack for focusing only on what's in front of their faces, and ignoring everything that's not.

intoodeep25
11-16-09, 2:00 pm
ya, its everywhere, but if i see an opportunity, small or large, to make a change to something that might better me in the long run, im gonna do it. you know im not sitting here trying to say "im gonna switch to a glass jug and look like evan" or "fear the plastic jug it will kill you". thats ridiculous. all im saying is something i saw peaked my interest and made me think about an alternative. this craps a long journey, tweaks have to be made all along the way. today its a switch from something plastic to glass. tomorrow itll be another baby step, another improvement. no matter what it is as long as it even remotely might benefit me in whatever way, im willing to research it and give it a shot.

11-16-09, 3:46 pm
ya, its everywhere, but if i see an opportunity, small or large, to make a change to something that might better me in the long run, im gonna do it. you know im not sitting here trying to say "im gonna switch to a glass jug and look like evan" or "fear the plastic jug it will kill you". thats ridiculous. all im saying is something i saw peaked my interest and made me think about an alternative. this craps a long journey, tweaks have to be made all along the way. today its a switch from something plastic to glass. tomorrow itll be another baby step, another improvement. no matter what it is as long as it even remotely might benefit me in whatever way, im willing to research it and give it a shot.

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. Even so, I'm sure there will be some people who switch from plastic to glass to be like Evan.

intoodeep25
11-16-09, 7:25 pm
ya i see what your saying. those people usually dont end up making it very far in this game though

MentalTwitch
11-17-09, 2:24 pm
Its not that plastic is everywhere and avoid it. Its the ones we ingest. The research is fairly new on it to though. Whe you ingest things that could trigger cancers(no matter what the %) and then take anabolics, put your body in an anabolic state, use GH or induce GH output you are adding to the rate of development.
I just check them and like i said if they are no no plastics i ditch them after 1 maybe 2 refills. I didn't for awhile and EVEN WORSE let them sit in my back seat in the sun. The heat and UV will degrade the plastic faster and make more release into the water/liquid.

I wouldnt go all OCD over it but its more of a keep it in the back of your mind when your on the same nasty milk/water jug for the 7th month of use.

I think having a glass one would be bad ass actually, especially a pinted one, black or red with an Animal logo on it...hmmmmm...maybe Ox needs his own line.

I alos would invest in a "green"/environment friendly steel bottle. Tough as nails too.

Alk
11-18-09, 10:28 pm
Because I'm a cheap, lazy bastard, I think I'm going to keep my plastic gallon jugs. Interesting though, that people would get glass ones instead.

Aren't they forbidden in most gyms though?

Enforcer
11-18-09, 10:34 pm

Give 1950 a call and see if the milkman can come deliver them to ur doorstep, hahaha jk bro

willah
11-19-09, 6:00 pm
There's an increasing amount of stainless steel containers on the market - haven't heard anything bad about using them.

craig028
11-19-09, 8:19 pm
i just googled it and the website i saw said that 3 and 7 are bad but its safe to use ones that have a number 4,5,6 inside the little recycle triangle thing and obviously the bottles that say bpa free but to be safe you should always just buy a new bottle every couple of months

craig028
11-19-09, 8:23 pm
lol the guy in the evan centopani video that talks about fish is hilarious "i think i fed my son to much fish because hes to intelegent" lolll

MentalTwitch
11-19-09, 8:47 pm
i just googled it and the website i saw said that 3 and 7 are bad but its safe to use ones that have a number 4,5,6 inside the little recycle triangle thing and obviously the bottles that say bpa free but to be safe you should always just buy a new bottle every couple of months

Please show me your research/source.
We have the article posted in our Biological Sciences building so i dont have it in front of me. 6 is bad though. You said its not that bad. Please verify.

EDIT:http://www.care2.com/greenliving/which-plastics-are-safe.html#
I found that. Also, mind the fact than even though it says "good" be cautious and i still would invest in a steel one. They are nice.

Beowulf
11-20-09, 10:03 am
Please show me your research/source.
We have the article posted in our Biological Sciences building so i dont have it in front of me. 6 is bad though. You said its not that bad. Please verify.

Sounds like this is gonna turn into a pissing match.......

MentalTwitch
11-20-09, 12:23 pm
Sounds like this is gonna turn into a pissing match.......

No, it will end if i have to source anymore people or articles/research. I dont want it to.