PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason To Drink Chocolate Milk?

11-13-09, 4:10 pm
Many knowledgeable lifters are looking to chocolate milk to help with gains and recovery. Perhaps another reason why bodybuilders should drink chocolate milk?

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/1144?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=estruch&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=90&issue=5&resourcetype=HWCIT

C.Coronato
11-13-09, 5:10 pm
I love me some choco milk.

G Diesel
11-13-09, 5:13 pm
So you're telling me I should be encouraged to hit the Nestle Quik cuz not only is it delciious but it is in fact good for me? Haha.

Sounds like win/win to me.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
11-13-09, 5:17 pm
Yet again, one more thing to put in my already over-loaded grocery cart.

Kain81
11-13-09, 5:42 pm
i've always heard this, and i buy milk mainly to mix w/ my protein.... should i be buying chocolate milk instead?

Fury317
11-13-09, 6:11 pm
Wow Im impressed. Quality info from a peer reviewed primary source. Flavonoids are extremely important in ones diet, especially to neutralize free radicals. Cocoa, red wine and berries are great sources so why not have a glass of chocolate milk...although Im not sure if its the right "kind" of chocolate, still good enough for me haha

To play devils advocate though- there has been research on flavonoids containing some pro-oxidant qualities, if taken in large quantities. The same has been said about vitamin C though...so who knows.

GJN5002
11-13-09, 11:10 pm
Wow Im impressed. Quality info from a peer reviewed primary source. Flavonoids are extremely important in ones diet, especially to neutralize free radicals. Cocoa, red wine and berries are great sources so why not have a glass of chocolate milk...although Im not sure if its the right "kind" of chocolate, still good enough for me haha

To play devils advocate though- there has been research on flavonoids containing some pro-oxidant qualities, if taken in large quantities. The same has been said about vitamin C though...so who knows.

I'm with you. The flavonoids in cocoa arent in choc milk or most commercial chocolate. Not to mention milk is an inflammaory food as is the sugar that most choc milks are loaded with. None the less, good article.

Berzerker
11-13-09, 11:51 pm
i think its dark chocolate that has the high content of the flavonoids.

DK
11-14-09, 1:03 am
what if you have a tub of Hershey's cocoa (the stuff that tastes like shit on its own) and you mix it with milk?

would that have flavonoids in it like in the case study? or do you think it would be better to eat dark chocolate instead?

BubbyLight
11-14-09, 9:34 am
hells yea. now imma go to the store and hit me up some chocolate milk

Fury317
11-14-09, 9:50 am
what if you have a tub of Hershey's cocoa (the stuff that tastes like shit on its own) and you mix it with milk?

would that have flavonoids in it like in the case study? or do you think it would be better to eat dark chocolate instead?

Im fairly sure that would contain some but wouldnt be the best source. Obviously the syrup and the premade chocolate milk are no good haha, but taste delicious.

msktyshha
11-15-09, 10:57 pm
I knew there was something good in that chocolate. I have also heard that after eating chocolate same happy relaxing chemicals are released into your body that are released after u have sex. Also it's great for a good night sleep

11-16-09, 9:21 am
i've always heard this, and i buy milk mainly to mix w/ my protein.... should i be buying chocolate milk instead?

Some argue that chocolate milk is the perfect PWO drink.

G Diesel
11-16-09, 9:38 am
Some argue that chocolate milk is the perfect PWO drink.

We're probably talking milk mixed with an actual cocoa/sugar blend, right? As opposed to milk with chocolate flavoring and HFCS as it often packaged... There is a big difference, no?

Peace, G

squattingtillipuke
11-16-09, 3:03 pm
Im fairly sure that would contain some but wouldnt be the best source. Obviously the syrup and the premade chocolate milk are no good haha, but taste delicious.

Shit (spitting out the chocolate) are you telling me that I shouldn't have just drank that bottle of Hershy's Chocolate Syrup until I finished reading this entire thread???

JK