PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet?

brickhead
11-14-09, 12:05 pm
Ok, I been reading a lot of the posts in this thread and I always see this 'Keto Diet' popping up.

From what I gathered after reading some posts is that being in a keto diet means you'll have to go eating 0 carbs for x amount of time. Right?

I didn't find a post explaining it completely so if someone doesn't mind can they explain what exactly is being on the keto diet? [ Eating just fats and protein only? ]

IronWilson
11-14-09, 12:55 pm
A keto diet usually means a diet of eating no starchy carbs. So like you said, only fats and proteins. They amount of protein and fats is what varies. A true keto diet (if I'm not mistaken.) is high fat, medium protein.

When most of the people here say keto, they mean high protein, medium fat, getting carbs only from the trace carbs found in some foods such as nuts and peanut butter.

brickhead
11-14-09, 5:01 pm
A keto diet usually means a diet of eating no starchy carbs. So like you said, only fats and proteins. They amount of protein and fats is what varies. A true keto diet (if I'm not mistaken.) is high fat, medium protein.

When most of the people here say keto, they mean high protein, medium fat, getting carbs only from the trace carbs found in some foods such as nuts and peanut butter.

Thanks for the reply.

So the Keto diet doesn't exactly have to be zero carbs; I did some reading on the web and I saw that people were eating chili while being on this diet. IDK if what I read was bogus so I'm bringing it up on this website to get the 411. Beans shouldn't be part of the keto diet? My bad if what I'm asking was already asked or is dumb.

GJN5002
11-14-09, 9:07 pm
Thanks for the reply.

So the Keto diet doesn't exactly have to be zero carbs; I did some reading on the web and I saw that people were eating chili while being on this diet. IDK if what I read was bogus so I'm bringing it up on this website to get the 411. Beans shouldn't be part of the keto diet? My bad if what I'm asking was already asked or is dumb.

nah, its basically impossible to eat 0 carbs. no beans though, no chili.

you will basically eat protein spource, fat source, and veggies for every meal.

ex
8ox chicken
2oz almonds
green beans

BlackCatz
11-15-09, 2:22 pm
nah, its basically impossible to eat 0 carbs. no beans though, no chili.

you will basically eat protein spource, fat source, and veggies for every meal.

ex
8ox chicken
2oz almonds
green beans

SO instead of rice, pasta, oats, etc you'd compliment it with tons of broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, all veggies?? I mean, that's the best diet to cut and get shredded right? Your protein, fats and tons of greens and water.

GJN5002
11-16-09, 10:43 am
SO instead of rice, pasta, oats, etc you'd compliment it with tons of broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, all veggies?? I mean, that's the best diet to cut and get shredded right? Your protein, fats and tons of greens and water.

not tons, but yes greens instead of carbs. so no on the tomatoes. Basically if its green veggie, you can eat it, any other color is out due to sugar.

basic food
eggs
chicken
salmon
ground turkey
turkey bacon

greens (like spinach)
romaine lettuce
broccoli

olive oil
fish oil
peanut butter
almonds

get your bodyfat checked.
Take the % and detrmine how much lean mass you have. (lbs)
Take your weight x 1.5 = the number of grams of protein you need per day
take the number of grams and multiply x 4 = the # of calories from protein
divide that # by 9 = the number of grams of fat you will need per day
thats all you need to know is grams
because it is a zero carb diet we are not counting the carbs in nuts and green LEAFY vegetables
ex
190lbs at 15% = 28lbs fat 162lbs @ 0%
162 x 1.5 = 243 pro = 243 x 4 = 972
972 / 9 = 108 g fat

after 2 weeks on you get a cheat meal once a week, usually the last meal of the day, you can eat whatever you want and I mean whatever. I will usually do about 5 peices of pizza, french fries, dairy queen blizzard and a few beers if I have room.

adidas
11-16-09, 11:19 am
not tons, but yes greens instead of carbs. so no on the tomatoes. Basically if its green veggie, you can eat it, any other color is out due to sugar.

basic food
eggs
chicken
salmon
ground turkey
turkey bacon

greens (like spinach)
romaine lettuce
broccoli

olive oil
fish oil
peanut butter
almonds

because it is a zero carb diet we are not counting the carbs in nuts and green LEAFY vegetables
ex
972 / 9 = 108 g fat

after 2 weeks on you get a cheat meal once a week, usually the last meal of the day, you can eat whatever you want and I mean whatever. I will usually do about 5 peices of pizza, french fries, dairy queen blizzard and a few beers if I have room.

I'm gonna argue NO...

Red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers are not loaded with sugar or carbs and would be fine...as would a tomatoe (or a few slices) as there is roughly 6g of carbs; 2g of fiber total in 148g of tomato...Cauliflower would be fine too, as would squash and zucchini (spelling?)...you do not have to limit yourself to "green" veggies...you just need to be smart in your choice of other vieggies and fruits (yeah I said fruit)...like avacodo's and coconut meat. Berries are nice too because of the serving sizes and minimal amount of carbs in them as well.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ this site should you're friend for most info wanted/needed...

BlackCatz
11-16-09, 2:01 pm

basic food
eggs
chicken
salmon
ground turkey
turkey bacon

greens (like spinach)
romaine lettuce
broccoli

olive oil
fish oil
peanut butter
almonds

ex
972 / 9 = 108 g fat

I think this is the diet i was doing to cut down and try to lose weight i just didn't know the name of it. I mean, i did drop down ALOT. I went from 225lbs, to 179lbs in about a year and a half following that diet and a routine with tons of cardio, and HIIT, etc. But to be honest, i think i lost alot of muscle mass, why'd that happen?? Sure i was shredded, lean but hell i was pretty thin, mostly on my arms they were toothpick thin. I was eating protein from chicken, fish, alot of veggies like broc, cauli, spinach, etc. Lots of water, alittle bit of fats here and there, no protein shakes or eating beef. My bodyfat went from 26% to about 13-14%.

BlackCatz
11-16-09, 2:08 pm
I'm gonna argue NO...

Red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers are not loaded with sugar or carbs and would be fine...as would a tomatoe (or a few slices) as there is roughly 6g of carbs; 2g of fiber total in 148g of tomato...Cauliflower would be fine too, as would squash and zucchini (spelling?)...you do not have to limit yourself to "green" veggies...you just need to be smart in your choice of other vieggies and fruits (yeah I said fruit)...like avacodo's and coconut meat. Berries are nice too because of the serving sizes and minimal amount of carbs in them as well.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ this site should you're friend for most info wanted/needed...

What about apples and bananas?

adidas
11-16-09, 2:52 pm

what about them?

a medium banans hold roughly 27g carbs & 3 fiber IIRC

granny smith apple typically yields 21 carbs and 4 fiber

they can be worked into the daily diet...by adjustng what other carb holding foods you eat...and adding in more fat/protein rich foods that dont have carbs...

typically one can typically consume roughly 50g of cabs (after minusing out fiber intake) aday with out negative results here (actually higher, but thats a differnt day and subject)

or how about don't eat em'? I did say

you just need to be smart in your choice of other vieggies and fruits

GJN5002
11-16-09, 4:12 pm
I'm gonna argue NO...

I agree, I was giving him the palumbo keto rundown. I generally eat peppers, tomatoes etc on keto, Im just careful about how many. Its usually easier to explain to someone who doesnt know much about keto to just eat greens or they ll end up eating a tomoatoe and red pepper salad somehow.

IronWilson
11-16-09, 6:33 pm

No fruit on keto. Essentially, one of the main benefits of running a keto diet is that you don't get the ups and downs in blood sugar that you do with carb cycling. Therefore, anything that would raise your insulin is out. Anything with any kind of sugar is out.

BlackCatz
11-16-09, 7:55 pm
No fruit on keto. Essentially, one of the main benefits of running a keto diet is that you don't get the ups and downs in blood sugar that you do with carb cycling. Therefore, anything that would raise your insulin is out. Anything with any kind of sugar is out.

Well when i follow the diet i'd just ajust it to my needs, maybe have a piece of fruit in my breakfast sometimes. But in the end, is this diet made especially for someone cutting down fat or gaining lean muscle mass?

Kryptonite
11-16-09, 9:04 pm
Good question... I'd like to know the answer too. Could I use this diet to gain LBM while maintaining a low BF%? That would be VERY appealing to me. Probably too good to be true though, right?

PORTERHOUSE
11-16-09, 9:05 pm
today is my second day on keto. I ended up with 40 carbs. Is that too much? Im 209 at about 16%.

GJN5002
11-16-09, 10:11 pm
Well when i follow the diet i'd just ajust it to my needs, maybe have a piece of fruit in my breakfast sometimes. But in the end, is this diet made especially for someone cutting down fat or gaining lean muscle mass?

dieting down. thats the thing about keto you need to follow the rules of it for the most part

Good question... I'd like to know the answer too. Could I use this diet to gain LBM while maintaining a low BF%? That would be VERY appealing to me. Probably too good to be true though, right?

its hard but not impossible. keot is mostly for weight loss. if you wanted to try something similar look into the anabolic diet, there is more wiggle room but still a low carb higher fat approach.

today is my second day on keto. I ended up with 40 carbs. Is that too much? Im 209 at about 16%.

you should be fine

adidas
11-17-09, 7:57 am
Its usually easier to explain to someone who doesnt know much about keto to just eat greens or they ll end up eating a tomoatoe and red pepper salad somehow.
lol, true...but I also like to make sure people know you can do more than just eat spinach and romain lettuce with it.

ironically most fruit does not raise insulin levels...and then you have to ask yourself "Self, what do I make of the avocado & coconut meat? as they are both fruits, yet have nothing more than fiber and fat in them?"

PORTERHOUSE
11-17-09, 10:44 am
lol, true...but I also like to make sure people know you can do more than just eat spinach and romain lettuce with it.

ironically most fruit does not raise insulin levels...and then you have to ask yourself "Self, what do I make of the avocado & coconut meat? as they are both fruits, yet have nothing more than fiber and fat in them?"

can you eat an avocado on keto?

adidas
11-17-09, 11:15 am
can you eat an avocado on keto?

short answer: Yes...

Longer answer: Yes...

the avocado is loaded with healthy fats, fiber and protein; not to mention the vitamins and minerals...a perfect keto food.

fenix237
11-17-09, 2:27 pm
short answer: Yes...

Longer answer: Yes...

the avocado is loaded with healthy fats, fiber and protein; not to mention the vitamins and minerals...a perfect keto food.

on nutritiondata.com they show 1/2 cup avocado as having 20 carbs- way too many carbs to eat on a keto diet (not a cheat meal of course)

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1844/2

*they are a delicious & healthy food tho!

adidas
11-17-09, 2:29 pm
on nutritiondata.com they show 1/2 cup avocado as having 20 carbs- way too many carbs to eat on a keto diet (not a cheat meal of course)

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1844/2

*they are a delicious & healthy food tho!

20 carbs & 16 fiber = 4 carbs

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

lists 100g as 13carbs and 10 fiber...which is basically 3 carbs from 100g of avocado...thats nothing to lose sleep over keto wise...plus there is no insulin spike from eating an avocado.

fenix237
11-17-09, 2:45 pm
20 carbs & 16 fiber = 4 carbs

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

lists 100g as 13carbs and 10 fiber...which is basically 3 carbs from 100g of avocado...thats nothing to lose sleep over keto wise...plus there is no insulin spike from eating an avocado.

aaahhh...okay bro, i forgot about the "net" carbs!

BlackCatz
11-17-09, 3:17 pm

You know, now that i think of it it all depends on you.. If you're a person who doesn't pack on lbs of fat easily, then you could get away with the traditional bulk diet right? But if you're the person who is bulking, pretty clean but is still gaining alot of fat then you could minimize carbs and what not right? Pretty much like a keto diet. But hell in the end, just get big.. I honestly don't care about seeing my abs as i bulk, your abs will ALWAYS be there all you gotta do is lean out.

BlackCatz
11-17-09, 3:20 pm
I've got a question about the whole 'Avocado' talk. Do you guys eat the avocado whole?? Or half one day, the other day another half.. I've heard from some trainer that it's not that good to eat a whole avocado in one sitting.

IronWilson
11-17-09, 6:24 pm
aaahhh...okay bro, i forgot about the "net" carbs!

"net carbs" are bullshit when it comes to keto. Carbs are carbs on a keto diet, an avocado may not be the best choice.

adidas
11-17-09, 8:09 pm
"net carbs" are bullshit when it comes to keto. Carbs are carbs on a keto diet, an avocado may not be the best choice.

then you better not be eating romain lettuce, spinach, broccoli, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, soy or a host of other foods that one must rely on when doing a keto diet...

or eat the avocado...as net carbs are not bull shit...if any one would know with 1st hand experience it would be me since I use them as a primary source of fat and fiber on my keto diet... avocado's will not kick you out of or effect ones abilty to maintain ketosis ay more than a hand full of almonds will.

Kryptonite
11-17-09, 10:57 pm
You know, now that i think of it it all depends on you.. If you're a person who doesn't pack on lbs of fat easily, then you could get away with the traditional bulk diet right? But if you're the person who is bulking, pretty clean but is still gaining alot of fat then you could minimize carbs and what not right? Pretty much like a keto diet. But hell in the end, just get big.. I honestly don't care about seeing my abs as i bulk, your abs will ALWAYS be there all you gotta do is lean out.

True... Maybe I should just stop being a bitch and go on an all out bulk... I'm going to miss the compliments I get at the gym though. Haha

Kryptonite
11-17-09, 11:01 pm
I've got a question about the whole 'Avocado' talk. Do you guys eat the avocado whole?? Or half one day, the other day another half.. I've heard from some trainer that it's not that good to eat a whole avocado in one sitting.

I'm pretty sure that would be because some avacadoes can be pretty large and rack up just under 30g of fat... Not exactly the best choice for a dieting newbie at the gym. I'm just guessing that's who the trainer was talking to and you just overheard though... All I know is that I was eating a whole avacado in one meal (mixed in my tuna as a substitute for mayo) and I felt awsome afterwords.

Vinny G
12-19-09, 5:09 pm
hey guys....when you get a chance please go read my thread in ask the pro's.

thanks

Jonisocool
12-19-09, 5:40 pm
Keto's good to go.

Did 68 days of it.

Started 232lbs, ended 214lbs.

Strength didnt really take a big hit, bench went from 315x8 to 315x6, vertical jump from 34" to 41".

Best thing was that it was cheap as balls. Bad thing was counting calories. my brother and I did it at the same time, he could get up to 50~60g's in carbs and remain in keto, where as I had to keep it at 30~32g

Ardent
12-22-09, 12:47 am

sounds delicious. . . id LOVE to eat peanut butter but I leave nothing to chance, i only get carbs from spinach, broccoli and trace from eggs thats about it really. . . . Damn give me a jar of natty peanut butter and a spoon and im a happy man lol.

IronWilson
12-22-09, 12:55 am
sounds delicious. . . id LOVE to eat peanut butter but I leave nothing to chance, i only get carbs from spinach, broccoli and trace from eggs thats about it really. . . . Damn give me a jar of natty peanut butter and a spoon and im a happy man lol.

So you don't eat peanut butter? If you do, you really are missing out on the gloriousness of keto. Besides. the 5 or so eggs you are eating have more carbs than 1 or 2 Tablespoons of PB.

Ardent
12-22-09, 1:05 am
So you don't eat peanut butter? If you do, you really are missing out on the gloriousness of keto. Besides. the 5 or so eggs you are eating have more carbs than 1 or 2 Tablespoons of PB.

Nope, no peanut butter for me. Just stating that I would love to eat it though. Peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks. . . . well it was before i went Keto. I do have a bit when im carb loading but i wont be loading for awhile im gonna stay straight keto till i get my BF% fairly low, play around with it a bit.