PDA

View Full Version : For bigger shoulders?

g_mau18
11-16-09, 1:51 am
Should I clean and press for each rep or should I clean and then just shoulder press some reps?

prowrestler
11-16-09, 2:17 am
press it outta the rack. standing strict press

J-Dawg
11-16-09, 8:48 am
press it outta the rack. standing strict press

x2

If shoulders are a weak point, make sure to place the focus on the shoulders with standing strict presses. Also, think about hitting shoulders 2x a day. A heavy day with presses movements and a lighter/moderate weight day w/ isolation movements.

g_mau18
11-18-09, 4:05 pm
does clean and jerk build big shoulders?

prowrestler
11-18-09, 4:07 pm

standing strict press builders bigger ones. and is easyer to learn

shizz702
11-18-09, 9:20 pm

If you have to ask that then you're probably better off sticking to the basics right now.

The clean and jerk is an advanced exercise that requires coaching, or shear persistence and willingness to learn.

Stick the basic standing press right now, get up to 75% of your bodyweight for 10 reps and you will have decent shoulder development by then.

g_mau18
11-20-09, 9:52 am
haha i already clean and jerk my bodyweight, I was just wondering what would be a better routine for bigger shoulders.

mritter3
11-20-09, 10:04 am
i would focus on standing mil bb press, db mil presses, lat raises and shrugs...all those = big shoulders

Lightnin'
11-20-09, 1:39 pm
If you have to ask that then you're probably better off sticking to the basics right now.

The clean and jerk is an advanced exercise that requires coaching, or shear persistence and willingness to learn.

Stick the basic standing press right now, get up to 75% of your bodyweight for 10 reps and you will have decent shoulder development by then.

If you push yourself, I mean really push yourself on standing barbell presses, you will get big gains no doubt. Heavy standing presses are great for size and overall strength.

ironshaolin
11-20-09, 4:25 pm
Cleaning the weight first can tire you out a bit, leaving less gas in the tank to directly target the shoulders. Is the clean and press a good excersise? You betcha. Clean and jerk is one of my favorites, however with the jerk, there won't be too much hypertrophy. If you watch olymic lifters, is all concentric, they drop the bar instead of performing the eccentric part.

shizz702
11-20-09, 8:11 pm
haha i already clean and jerk my bodyweight, I was just wondering what would be a better routine for bigger shoulders.

Good shit! A bodyweight clean and jerk is a feat!

The clean and jerk is great for shoulders, but still nothing beats the standing barbell press for canon ball delts, hands down.

TigerAce01
11-20-09, 8:24 pm
Try behind the neck BB presses. I think I've seen more overall strength and growth from the BTN than the standard BB presses.

-Ace

g_mau18
11-20-09, 8:36 pm
thanks guys, I'm not going to take clean and jerk out of my shoulder routine just because i'm so addicted to doing it, and everyone gives me strange looks when I do them. haha I love it. But I will be sure to add those exercises you guys mentioned

omfgapolarbear
11-20-09, 11:59 pm
Personally, I want one of EliteFTS's big logs for shoulder presses.