PDA

View Full Version : confused

PORTERHOUSE
11-17-09, 11:36 am
all right so I decided to do a keto after bulking up for 8 weeks. Im 209 at 16% right now. After researching all the stuff on keto and reading meal plans from other peoples diet (i also used some calculation that said i should have about 175 grms/protein and 230 grams fat a day. But now as I'm reading more and more I feel like im eating too much fat. My meal plan yesterday looked like this:

1) 2 eggs, 4 egg white, 1/2 cup full fat cheese, 4 strips bacon

2) Whey shake and 2 tbs peanut butter pwo

3) two slices of cheese and 7 small pepperoni's

4) 8 oz chicken, avacado, 1/8 cup evoo

5) 2 tbs peanut butter

Is that ok or am I no where close? I know this has been addressed 1000 times already but i've been reading alot and Im just confusing myself. Also, I was going to do HIIT in the morning because I dont have time to do 45 mins of cardio every mornign, but now im reading that I should be doing low intensity stuff. So should I drop the HIIT? If so, what kind of cardio should I do, im on a 4 day lifting split right now.

I'de really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. There's so much info out there its making my head spin.

msktyshha
11-17-09, 11:40 am
so what exactly is your question?

stumblin54
11-17-09, 11:53 am
What's the macro breakdown for this diet? And I will tell you now that 2tbsp. of PB is not a meal. As for the cardio, just make sure to get it in and you'll be fine. There's so much information out there because everybody's different, and reacts differently to each method of training, diet, etcetera. You have to find what works for YOU, but for now I would recommend following the basics that are proven for just about everyone.

Stumblin

G Diesel
11-17-09, 12:24 pm
Meals 3 and 5 aren't meals... Perhaps one meal could include 4 whole eggs and the other a protein shake with 50g of protein and the 2 tbsp of natty pb.

Also, I wouldn't advise a diet with more fat in it than protein. Your diet has you taking in 2070 calories daily from fat, which is in my opinion way too much. This diet would probably look better at 300g protein and 125 of fat. Also, I would give serious consideration to including some leafy green veggies into your diet.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
11-17-09, 12:38 pm
Yeah, I would definitely look at adjusting the macros b/c that's a heck of a lot of fat.

I would suggest shooting for 1.5g of protein x your bodyweight (206) = ~310g
So that would be about 1,240 calories from protein. Shoot for an equal amount of fat (calorie-wise) which would be about 140g of fat. Don't be afraid to throw in some green veggies that are low in carbs too. Gotta keeping things moving and it doesn't hurt to have some antioxidants/micronutrients in the system.

adidas
11-17-09, 2:37 pm
Just a FYI but you'd have to eat a bucket of romain lettuce to equal the amount of fiber in one whole avocado....just saying

G Diesel
11-17-09, 2:40 pm
Just a FYI but you'd have to eat a bucket of romain lettuce to equal the amount of fiber in one whole avocado....just saying

Fair enough, but fiber isn't the only reason to consume vegetables in my opinion.

Peace, G

GJN5002
11-17-09, 3:52 pm
i also used some calculation that said i should have about 175 grms/protein and 230 grams fat a day.

1) 2 eggs, 4 egg white, 1/2 cup full fat cheese, 4 strips bacon

2) Whey shake and 2 tbs peanut butter pwo

3) two slices of cheese and 7 small pepperoni's

4) 8 oz chicken, avacado, 1/8 cup evoo

5) 2 tbs peanut butter

my calculations are different:
175lbs Lbm
175 x 1.5 = 263g protein x 4 = 1052 calories / 9 = 116.8 g of fat
so
263g of protein
116 g of fat
where did you get your calculations from?

Fury317
11-17-09, 4:08 pm
I wont comment on the diet itself, because I dont know enough about keto diets to critique, but I will say this...

YOU CAN NOT DO HIIT CARDIO ON A KETO DIET! HIIT requires glucose to be high and available in the blood stream to be used in anaerobic glycolosis. While doing a keto diet, your body will be using gluconeogenesis, and there by creating glucose from non-glucose sources, such as amino acids/lactate/and glycerol. Your body is then going to use these scarce glucose sources ONLY in red blood cells and the brain. Your skeletal muscles will rely solely on fatty acid synthesis, which is why you actually have to do low intensity cardio on a low carb diet. Its a fact that no one can argue. So please, if you want to keep your hard earned muscle, do low intensity cardio or change your diet and include low GI/GL carbs and do the HIIT.

J-Dawg
11-18-09, 9:18 am

Fair enough, but fiber isn't the only reason to consume vegetables in my opinion.

Peace, G

Avocados are good fiber option but they are just one option (and shouldn't be the only source of greens/fruit in the diet as they would jack up the fat content and limit your other options for healthy fat sources if consumed throughout the day). There are definitely other benefits (micronutrient profile, fiber without the calories, roughage) to consuming other low carbs veggies like spinach, celery, cabbage, kale, asparagus etc. The key is to not limit your options.

TigerAce01
11-18-09, 10:46 am
Avocados are good fiber option but they are just one option (and shouldn't be the only source of greens/fruit in the diet as they would jack up the fat content and limit your other options for healthy fat sources if consumed throughout the day). There are definitely other benefits (micronutrient profile, fiber without the calories, roughage) to consuming other low carbs veggies like spinach, celery, cabbage, kale, asparagus etc. The key is to not limit your options.

Spinach is one of my favorite veggies. When I'm limiting carbohydrates, I like to eat a bowl with every large meal. Great source of Vit. A, fiber, and healthy antioxidants.

-Ace

J-Dawg
11-18-09, 11:34 am
Spinach is one of my favorite veggies. When I'm limiting carbohydrates, I like to eat a bowl with every large meal. Great source of Vit. A, fiber, and healthy antioxidants.

-Ace

Definitely a solid add Ace. Can't beat the addition of veggies with your meals.

Another thing to remember about high protein diets is that they increase acidity in the body (not the best state for the body to be in on a constant basis). The addition of veggies help to boost alkali levels in the body, thus neutralizing the acidity.

Remember, what we eat affects our bodies down to each and every cell in it. There are a host of substances found in plant foods that can work over time to modify gene expression and physiological function. What happens is the nutrients in the foods that we consume engage in complex interactions with our bodies genetic machinery. So what we eat plays a significant role in determining aspects of our gene expression. A poor-quality diet will result in poorer physiological function. Higher quality diets will result in better physiological function. A question that we should ask ourselves as we gain more knowledge about our bodies is--Is what we are doing the best option for what our goals are?

The key with maximizing results is to see the bigger picture of how all the parts fit together.

DBO--After seeing the advice from others above, what questions do you have still? What can we help clear up for ya?

rev8ball
11-18-09, 12:07 pm

-Ace

Can't argue with Popeye!!

Another thing to remember about high protein diets is that they increase acidity in the body (not the best state for the body to be in on a constant basis). The addition of veggies help to boost alkali levels in the body, thus neutralizing the acidity.

Remember, what we eat affects our bodies down to each and every cell in it. There are a host of substances found in plant foods that can work over time to modify gene expression and physiological function. What happens is the nutrients in the foods that we consume engage in complex interactions with our bodies genetic machinery. So what we eat plays a significant role in determining aspects of our gene expression. A poor-quality diet will result in poorer physiological function. Higher quality diets will result in better physiological function. A question that we should ask ourselves as we gain more knowledge about our bodies is--Is what we are doing the best option for what our goals are?

The key with maximizing results is to see the bigger picture of how all the parts fit together.

DBO--After seeing the advice from others above, what questions do you have still? What can we help clear up for ya?

Truth, J, Truth........

naturalguy
11-18-09, 1:35 pm

Where did you come up with romain lettuce?

msktyshha
11-18-09, 1:50 pm

is that why I fart every other minute? maybe I am not having enough veggies.

adidas
11-18-09, 2:00 pm
Where did you come up with romain lettuce?

or spinach

eating a whole avocado equals to eating green leafy veggies plus EVOO...basically it provides what spinach/romain lettuce would and what EVOO would in one simple item.

plus it packs a helluva antioxidant profile and has been shown to fight cancer...

naturalguy
11-18-09, 2:10 pm
or spinach

eating a whole avocado equals to eating green leafy veggies plus EVOO...basically it provides what spinach/romain lettuce would and what EVOO would in one simple item.

plus it packs a helluva antioxidant profile and has been shown to fight cancer...

You don't have to sell me, I love guacamole

adidas
11-18-09, 2:18 pm
for shits and giggles:

150g of avocado:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl
22g fat (3g sat/15g mono/3g poly)
13g carbs
10g fiber
3g protein

150g of Spinach
.6g fat
5g carbs
3g fiber
4g protein

150g of romain lettuce
.5g fat
5g carbs
3g fiber
2g protein

150 almonds
74g fat (6g sat/46g mono/18g poly)
33g carbs
18g fiber
32g protein

150g of EVOO
150g fat (21g sat/109g mono/16g poly)
0 carbs
0 pro

-------------

EDIT: just to add to this

it'd take 495g of either spinach or romain lettuce to equal the amount of fiber in 150g of an avocado...and the total net carb intake would be 5-7g more than the avocado...

PORTERHOUSE
11-18-09, 3:19 pm
damn everybody thanks for all the help. This is starting to make a lot more sense to me. I used some calculation than had suggested that I take in 250-300 grams of fat per day, which I thought was right until I started adding everything up on the first day and realized that I couldn't take that much in without eating well over maintenance (Im obviously no diet expert, or i probably would have realized that earlier). I've begun making adjustments and now Im shooting for around 120 grams of fat and 260 protein (thanks gjn, I think i got it from bb.com, I planned this out about two weeks ago so I don't really remember), I hit those numbers yesterday so I think Im finally headed in the right direction.

So sounds like I should drop the hiit and do low intensity, which is fine by me because I hate high intensity with a passion, I'll just have to make time.

J, thanks for all your help man. Im wondering about carb up days on the weekend. This sounds like a way to help preserve lean mass while still loosing weight. Could anybody give me an example of a carb up day? I thought I had this figured out as well but seeing as where I got myself before I think I'm better off just asking straight forward. I read some article on bb.com that said people can eat pizza and stuff like that on the carb up cycle, but that sounds weird to me.

Thanks again for all the help everybody.

GJN5002
11-18-09, 6:26 pm
Could anybody give me an example of a carb up day? I thought I had this figured out as well but seeing as where I got myself before I think I'm better off just asking straight forward. I read some article on bb.com that said people can eat pizza and stuff like that on the carb up cycle, but that sounds weird to me.

Thanks again for all the help everybody.

it should only be one meal after youve been on the diet for 2 weeks. last meal of the day eat whatever you want. i usually do it suday night and pig out. pizza, fries, dairy queen

PORTERHOUSE
11-18-09, 9:33 pm
it should only be one meal after youve been on the diet for 2 weeks. last meal of the day eat whatever you want. i usually do it suday night and pig out. pizza, fries, dairy queen

All right that sounds good. After two weeks I carb up only one meal. After that is it once a week or once every two weeks still?

Also, does anyone know what the limit of carbs per day I can have? I only had 30 today and ten came from intra aid. The rest were all fiber, but if Im gonna throw some leafy greens in the mix, is there a maximum?

GJN5002
11-19-09, 12:00 am
All right that sounds good. After two weeks I carb up only one meal. After that is it once a week or once every two weeks still?

Also, does anyone know what the limit of carbs per day I can have? I only had 30 today and ten came from intra aid. The rest were all fiber, but if Im gonna throw some leafy greens in the mix, is there a maximum?

once a week after youve been on for 2.

total carbs depends on the person and how strict your keto diet is. I would say you dont want intra aid. with keto you arent relying on carbs but ketones and by adding in sugar you are doing the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish. 30-40g is what i try to stay under and we're about the same size.

stumblin54
11-19-09, 1:49 am

Not to mention their high concentration of oleic acid. Avo's are recommended to those with "bad cholesterol" because they can decrease levels of LDL, and simultaneously increase HDL levels. An avocado per day keeps the doctor away...or something like that.

Stumblin

adidas
11-19-09, 9:49 am
Not to mention their high concentration of oleic acid. Avo's are recommended to those with "bad cholesterol" because they can decrease levels of LDL, and simultaneously increase HDL levels. An avocado per day keeps the doctor away...or something like that.

Stumblin

well shit! no wonder my cholesterol level improved so well...between the avocado a day and the amount of garlic I used (which is also shown to improve cholesterol levels)...nice!

Pizzalamp
11-19-09, 9:54 am

Stumblinthey are also known to prevent oral cancers

GJN5002
11-19-09, 10:15 am
how do you guys usually eat avocodos? Just slice em up and down them or anything else? I dont usually eat them becuase I dont like the texture but I always worry about my mouth from when I used to smoke then chew and I'd like to protect it. (thanks for the info pizza)

adidas
11-19-09, 11:07 am
I mashed mine up, seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, crushed black pepper and covered with scrambled egg's!

Beowulf
11-19-09, 11:08 am
I eat avocados plain. They do have a funny texture, but I don't mind it. Anyone here eat sushi? The texture reminds me of eating toro.

GJN5002
11-19-09, 1:35 pm
I mashed mine up, seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, crushed black pepper and covered with scrambled egg's!

that sound awesome. thanks adidas

I eat avocados plain. They do have a funny texture, but I don't mind it. Anyone here eat sushi? The texture reminds me of eating toro.

I love it in sushi

Beowulf
11-19-09, 1:50 pm

I love it in sushi

Yeah, avocado is great in California rolls. I was talking about toro, which comes from the tuna's belly. The texture is really fatty and creamy, like avocados.

adidas
11-19-09, 4:42 pm

here check this recipe out then!

"In Your Face" scramble mix (http://forum.animalpak.com/showpost.php?p=811011&postcount=21)

PORTERHOUSE
11-21-09, 2:43 pm
my calculations are different:
175lbs Lbm
175 x 1.5 = 263g protein x 4 = 1052 calories / 9 = 116.8 g of fat
so
263g of protein
116 g of fat
where did you get your calculations from?

Hey man this is where I got the calculation from.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark91.htm