PDA

View Full Version : The FINAL word on Protein Intake

On Letting Go
11-18-09, 8:37 am
How much protein for optimal recovery & accrual of muscle?

This question will probably never stop being asked. It will plague bodybuilding forums for eternity.

There is no definitive answer.

The recommended intake of protein (supported by research*) ranges from 0.8g/kg/day (for the sedentary individual) to 2.6g/kg/day (for intense-training strength athletes).

*- AFAIK, the research done has been that of NATURAL individuals/athletes. The above representation pertains to these individuals ONLY.

E.g.- For a 200lb male, the range for protein intake would be 73g - 236g daily, depending on his Frequency/Intensity/Duration of training.

The best solution (for weight training individuals) is to start with an intake of 2.2g/kg/day (1g/lb/day), and increase from that point gauging recovery & muscle gain. I cannot stress enough that dietary requirements are highly individual. Each person has to experiment and learn about thier bodys preferred nutrition.

J-Dawg
11-18-09, 9:04 am
When I clicked on this thread, I thought you were going to give us the be all and end all answer on protein intake, lol. But seriously, it can range from person to person.

The great thing about consuming high protein diets, is that out of all of the macronutrients, it has the highest thermogenic effect. This means that when your body is digesting and breaking down protein, it burns much more calories than when having consumed carbs/fats. It should also depend on how active you are. If you live a lifestyle where you are constantly moving around vs. sitting at a desk/couch, you're going to require a different macronutrient profile. How long is the duration of the workout? How much sleep are you getting? Also, take into account genetics (fast metabolism vs slow metabolism, decreased insulin sensitivity, hormonal output, etc). So like you said, it's highly individual.

The key with this sport/lifestyle is to get to know your body as best you can b/c in the end, you control your destiny and how you can best tap into your optimum potential.

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 7:25 pm
I'm surprised this thread doesn't consist of more posts...

There is a lot of good information here that needs to be utilized.

Thanks for the knowledge, brothers.

big grey beast
11-22-09, 8:47 pm
Well it truly depends on your goal. If your goal is to be a ripped hard body then the whole limited amount approach should work. But if your a serious powerbuilder like me wanting increased size and strength. Then I say screw that crap if you have a normal job and work schedule or a crazy one like. I have never found it possible to take in enough in one day. I personally feel its always better to be in excess than a shortage in your daily diet. And the crap about a natural guy needing less hell he needs more. He only has what his body can naturally do anabolicaly. If im not miss informed isnt food the most natural anabolic substance. Basically you will never eat enough quality protein if your traing like an animal.

GJN5002
11-23-09, 4:34 pm
Over the years Ive come to beleive we really dont need as much as we think. I remember downing 400+ grams a day at one point. I now take in about 250g at a weight of 210. Not only is it more cost efficient, I have to believe it is better for over all health. Ive made up the difference in calories by upping my fat intake.

The other thing I think is important is the quality of the source. I have to believe 30g of grass fed beef is going to be a better choice than 50g of standard beef or 30g of pure cold filtered iso whey is better than 50g of econo whey concentrate. Ive never read anything proving this, but it makes sense in my mind.

Appollonian
11-23-09, 5:24 pm
Over the years Ive come to beleive we really dont need as much as we think. I remember downing 400+ grams a day at one point. I now take in about 250g at a weight of 210. Not only is it more cost efficient, I have to believe it is better for over all health. Ive made up the difference in calories by upping my fat intake.

The other thing I think is important is the quality of the source. I have to believe 30g of grass fed beef is going to be a better choice than 50g of standard beef or 30g of pure cold filtered iso whey is better than 50g of econo whey concentrate. Ive never read anything proving this, but it makes sense in my mind.

I second this. I used to take in over 400+ a day as well. Now I'm doing 280 at a BW of 228 and my body seems to respond just as well... and my systems function more smoothly, if you catch my drift. I upped the carbs to make up for the cal difference, and I'm golden.

LegendKillerJosh
11-24-09, 12:31 pm
you forgot the single most important part about deciding your proper protein intake and calorie intake - the weight you WANT to be. Your current weight means nothing, if you are 200 pounds and want to weigh 220, you have to eat the protein and calories of a 220 pound man. If you are 200 and want to weigh 190, again you have to adjust.