PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol issues?

N.Rees
11-19-09, 12:17 pm
Just a short question, a lot of you guys here say they eat like, 5, 10 or maybe even 15-20 eggs a day... Do you guys mean eggwhites or whole eggs?

Even 5 whole eggs a day would be more than 1,5g of cholesterol and that would be pretty harmful long term wouldn't it?

Or is cholesterol not as dangerous as I was allways told?

Every kind of input is appreciated...

Thx

prowrestler
11-19-09, 12:23 pm
dietry cholesterol = not so bad

N.Rees
11-19-09, 12:27 pm
dietry cholesterol = not so bad

dietry cholesterol is the one found in eggs?

live2lift
11-19-09, 12:36 pm
Personally I never eat egg whites. I dont have time to make eggs that often but when i do it is always the whole egg. Half of the protein is in the yolk, not to mention the amino acids necessary to make it a whole protein. Whole eggs are the golden standard on the BV chart ranking 100, whereas egg whites rank in the 70s. As for the cholesterol, it is not the cholesterol in the foods that make it bad for us, it is the fact that americans are lazy in general and will eat eggs or some other high cholesterol food and sit on their fat ass and let the cholesterol build up in them. We are not the fattest country for no reason...that being said, if you are an active individual, which I am assuming you are cuz you are on this board, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about it unless you have some other underlying medical conditions that would make excess cholesterol a concern.

On Letting Go
11-19-09, 12:41 pm
Dietary Cholesterol = Cholesterol from food
Endogenous cholesterol = Cholesterol made by the body

Dietary cholesterol has LITTLE TO NO EFFECT on blood cholesterol.

"FACT: Dietary cholesterol does NOT = blood cholesterol. Your body produces large
quantities of cholesterol daily regardless of what you eat. Most cholesterol is NOT produced by diet.”

"Cholesterol is actually a steroid. “Chol” = bile and “Sterol” = steroid. Steroids belong to a large and varied group of chemical compounds that are naturally produced by the body. Cholesterol is the most abundant steroid and it is used as building blocks for cell membranes, maintaining healthy cells, as an aid to digestion and in the manufacture of sexual hormones."

“Saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are not the cause of coronary heart disease. That myth is the greatest scientific deception of the century, and perhaps any century.” George V. Mann, M.D. (1991), Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine - Vanderbilt University.

There is so much good information out there, bro. Cholesterol/Saturated fat is NOT EVIL like most people think. Just weed through the bullshit and find the FACTS.

live2lift
11-19-09, 1:17 pm

"FACT: Dietary cholesterol does NOT = blood cholesterol. Your body produces large
quantities of cholesterol daily regardless of what you eat. Most cholesterol is NOT produced by diet.”

"Cholesterol is actually a steroid. “Chol” = bile and “Sterol” = steroid. Steroids belong to a large and varied group of chemical compounds that are naturally produced by the body. Cholesterol is the most abundant steroid and it is used as building blocks for cell membranes, maintaining healthy cells, as an aid to digestion and in the manufacture of sexual hormones."

“Saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet are not the cause of coronary heart disease. That myth is the greatest scientific deception of the century, and perhaps any century.” George V. Mann, M.D. (1991), Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine - Vanderbilt University.

There is so much good information out there, bro. Cholesterol/Saturated fat is NOT EVIL like most people think. Just weed through the bullshit and find the FACTS.

Great info here OLG...thanks for that.

adidas
11-19-09, 1:32 pm

ha ha ha thats great shit! and the same shit I have been saying/preaching since I became a member here!

GJN5002
11-19-09, 1:34 pm
there have been studies showing whole eggs can actually improve your cholesterol, imahine that.

C.Coronato
11-19-09, 1:34 pm
I eat a dozen WHOLE eggs a day. No problems here.

The_Legacy
11-19-09, 2:10 pm
Yeah, everyone is right. Don't get scared about the cholesterol or fat bro. Just chomp down.

fenix237
11-19-09, 2:27 pm
^^^agree with what all was said

i've read that there is as much good (HDL)cholesterol in eggs as bad

remember too that most of us eat lots of oatmeal which is probably the best food you can eat to lower cholesterol- the soluble fiber binds w/stomach acids and lowers LDL cholesterol

i hear ya 'trunks....i've been eating at least 6 whole eggs/day along with beef, chicken, fish...etc and my cholesterol is in the low 190's

GJN5002
11-19-09, 2:58 pm
^^^agree with what all was said

i've read that there is as much good (HDL)cholesterol in eggs as bad

remember too that most of us eat lots of oatmeal which is probably the best food you can eat to lower cholesterol- the soluble fiber binds w/stomach acids and lowers LDL cholesterol

i hear ya 'trunks....i've been eating at least 6 whole eggs/day along with beef, chicken, fish...etc and my cholesterol is in the low 190's

From what Ive read, cholesterol is more a function of carb intake than cholesterol intake. Cholesterol is produced as a direct result of insulin and oatmeal is a lower GI carb causing less insulin spike, making it a better choice for those looking to control cholesterol. Ive never heard the binding to stomach acids thing. I think the best foods to eat to lower cholesterol are beef, chicken, etc and good fat while lowering carbs. LDL and HDL is just a description on molecule size. Just my .02

IRBS
11-19-09, 3:11 pm
The best way to monitor how your diet is impacting your cholersterol is to have regular blood work done. I have borderline-high cholesterol and high triglycerides and get blood work done fairly often. With my next set of labs I will have been dieting for 8 weeks, so I am very interested to see how/if my levels change. I am lucky enough to have inherited these issues, so there is a pretty high liklihood that I would have elevated levels at 180lbs just like I do at 250+lbs. Watching your diet and being smart is just part of the equation for most people...there are many factors that go into cholesterol levels.

Stressing over a whole egg is not anything to worry about though...eat up. If youre worried about it, get blood work done.

Beowulf
11-19-09, 3:17 pm
Cholesterol/Saturated fat is NOT EVIL like most people think. Just weed through the bullshit and find the FACTS.

I'm not a scientist, but I do try to read. I could be wrong, but the studies are mixed on saturated fats and their relationship to serum cholesterol levels. This is one of those highly debated topics in the scientific community and I don't the the science is definitive here. So I'm not sure you're stating "facts" per se. Or maybe one-sided facts?

fenix237
11-19-09, 3:22 pm
From what Ive read, cholesterol is more a function of carb intake than cholesterol intake. Cholesterol is produced as a direct result of insulin and oatmeal is a lower GI carb causing less insulin spike, making it a better choice for those looking to control cholesterol. Ive never heard the binding to stomach acids thing. I think the best foods to eat to lower cholesterol are beef, chicken, etc and good fat while lowering carbs. LDL and HDL is just a description on molecule size. Just my .02

what's up gjn? i did a quick search online to find out what i could about soluble fiber binding with fatty acids in the stomach;

http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

i did hear that triglcerides were directly affected if you eat too much simple carbs

Beowulf
11-19-09, 3:25 pm
To this thread I would add trans fats. These should be avoided as they are linked to serum cholesterol levels.

On Letting Go
11-19-09, 7:17 pm
I'm not a scientist, but I do try to read. I could be wrong, but the studies are mixed on saturated fats and their relationship to serum cholesterol levels. This is one of those highly debated topics in the scientific community and I don't the the science is definitive here. So I'm not sure you're stating "facts" per se. Or maybe one-sided facts?

Sounds like you need to do some more reading.

machineman
11-19-09, 8:00 pm
When I started the Iron Contest I went to have my blood work done. I specifically asked the doctor about eating 8 eggs a day/ 7 days a week. That 56 eggs a week. She told me that eggs will not GIVE you high cholesterol. They won't help much if you have high cholesterol, but it is the foods that people eat with the eggs that give them high cholesterol. I don't know the facts or whatever behind it, but my cholesterol at the time was 137.

msktyshha
11-19-09, 8:57 pm
just a question... would eating high cholestrol foods affect people in a bad way who already have cholestrol issues?

sunny_max
11-20-09, 4:04 am
there is soo much goodies in the yolk that i just cant throw it away......i eat a dozen a day......my friends laugh when i go grocery shopping and buy crates and crates of eggs for a week......especially cashiers look at you funny haha......but yeah i like it and eat it......as ppl said get blood work done and stay active......

N.Rees
11-20-09, 4:09 am

Thanks a lot for the answer bro... very good info, very helpful !

machineman
11-20-09, 6:39 am
just a question... would eating high cholestrol foods affect people in a bad way who already have cholestrol issues?

yes....it will not help it go down!

adidas
11-20-09, 8:18 am
yes....it will not help it go down!

ummmm Whole eggs will help lower Cholesterol levels...

machineman
11-20-09, 8:55 am
true, but not if the person continues to eat the foods that got them the high cholesterol in the first place. eggs themselves will not give you high cholesterol, but if you have it, then there are other areas that need to be addressed. I am not sure the question was specific to eggs.....that is why the answer was yes.....

GJN5002
11-20-09, 9:10 am
true, but not if the person continues to eat the foods that got them the high cholesterol in the first place. eggs themselves will not give you high cholesterol, but if you have it, then there are other areas that need to be addressed. I am not sure the question was specific to eggs.....that is why the answer was yes.....

So what kind of foods do you think raise cholesterol?

I dont think eating high certain high cholesterol food will affect you even with high cholesterol levels because as stated dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood cholesterol. Thats why people have their statin doses upped every few years, the liver is trying to upregulate cholesterol production while the medication is trying to suppress it.

Beef liver has more cholesterol than the equivalent amount of eggs. Salmon, tuna , and shrimp all have decent amounts of cholesterol, especially in the amounts bodybuilders eat it.

If anyone is really worried about their cholesterol, you can supplement with niacin, fish oil and red yeast rice exctract.

GJN5002
11-20-09, 9:13 am
what's up gjn? i did a quick search online to find out what i could about soluble fiber binding with fatty acids in the stomach;

http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

i did hear that triglcerides were directly affected if you eat too much simple carbs

thanks for the look up. I read it over and noticed it says;

Functions of Soluble Fiber
-bind with fatty acids
-prolong stomach emptying time so that sugar is released and absorbed more slowly

that is exactly what I was saying, it decreases the insulin load from the food you eat, as far as binding with fatty acids, I think that is why it slows down absorbtion so much but I dont think there is a direct effect on cholesterol levels, just production.

Beowulf
11-20-09, 10:00 am
Sounds like you need to do some more reading.

Maybe. I'd suggest the same to you though. What I learned in school was that studies aren't about facts, but about hypotheses. I also learned that most studies have problems in them. Yeah, there is a newer theory about saturated fat intake and it's role in serum cholesterol levels, the paradox Mozaffarian describes, but it's just that, a theory. Not fact.

fenix237
11-20-09, 12:07 pm
thanks for the look up. I read it over and noticed it says;

Functions of Soluble Fiber
-bind with fatty acids
-prolong stomach emptying time so that sugar is released and absorbed more slowly

that is exactly what I was saying, it decreases the insulin load from the food you eat, as far as binding with fatty acids, I think that is why it slows down absorbtion so much but I dont think there is a direct effect on cholesterol levels, just production.

point taken brother! fiber, both soluble and insoluble, is essential to a healthy diet!

from my experience, cholesterol is very much a genetic thing. my sister, who is in great shape (5'2" 110lbs) is very careful about what she eats and works out regularly, her cholesterol is in the low 200's. in the past, when living the life of a rockstar (drinking a lot, eating a bunch of bad shit 275lbs), my cholesterol never broke 200....go figure???

GJN5002
11-20-09, 1:28 pm
point taken brother! fiber, both soluble and insoluble, is essential to a healthy diet!

from my experience, cholesterol is very much a genetic thing. my sister, who is in great shape (5'2" 110lbs) is very careful about what she eats and works out regularly, her cholesterol is in the low 200's. in the past, when living the life of a rockstar (drinking a lot, eating a bunch of bad shit 275lbs), my cholesterol never broke 200....go figure???

totally agree with you. Fiber is one of the most underrated things in a diet. I heard somewhere, if everyone used a fiber supp 2x a day, colon cancer would be virtually non existant.

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 6:42 pm
I just read most of the posts here and even though I now have a headache... I have something to add that'll make it all much simpler:

If it's natural, it can only benefit you.

If it's processed by machinery or even humanity it will more than likely do the opposite.

You guys are worrying about what is said in a world that is not ours. A world of people that do not care about anything until they're faced with the consequences of their actions.

And do not take that too literally I'm not as much of an outkast of society I just made myself seem. Haha