PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Question

Fleadom4all
11-20-09, 1:31 pm
Okay I started my bulk diet about three weeks ago and am so far very happy with the rate at which my gains are going, I am taking real gains twice a day and m-stak along with pump daily. I am going off of Rage's diet plan for team yellow and taking in a lil less than 4000 calories a day(all clean). But I'm noticing the fat starting to pack on, how do I modify these without losing gains?

On Letting Go
11-20-09, 1:32 pm
Less Calories.

Aggression
11-20-09, 1:35 pm
Less Calories.

Start off by cutting back on the carbs a bit. Don't increase your foods too quickly, otherwise you'll add too much bad weight.

stumblin54
11-20-09, 2:27 pm
Are you doing any cardio?

Stumblin

Fleadom4all
11-20-09, 2:29 pm
is 4000 calories too much to base with? Like should I be shooting for 3200, I'm only eating oats and eggs for breakfast and then alternate real gains and chicken and yams every other meal, I end the night with 2 cups of 0 fat cottage cheese, this is every day.

Fleadom4all
11-20-09, 2:30 pm
No, I'm not doing any cardio.

Fleadom4all
11-20-09, 3:11 pm
Calories. 3800
carbs 390g
protein 340g
fat 86g
and I workout 4 days a week, no cardio
I weigh 178 5'9"

Aggression
11-20-09, 4:21 pm
I'm no diet guru, so take my advise with a grain of salt, but maybe you're eating a bit too much for your body to handle. Also, RG has a high amount of carbs in it (~88g). Slamming back a few of those will DEFINITELY add some extra fat on if you're eating big whole food meals on top of that. I don't use RG shakes when bulking, except once or twice a week to 'treat' myself, b/c that amount of carbs on top of my normal diet is way too much.

Try cutting back on at least one RG shake and replace it with another whole food meal. See if that makes a difference within a few weeks. My bet is you'll drop some fat.

GJN5002
11-20-09, 4:29 pm
Calories. 3800
carbs 390g
protein 340g
fat 86g
and I workout 4 days a week, no cardio
I weigh 178 5'9"

Take in less calories. Try taking in around 3200 instead and see how that works. When I figure out calories I use my lean body mass becasue you dont need calories to support the fat on your body.

Fleadom4all
11-20-09, 9:02 pm
Ok I worked a meal plan to 3199 cals but what about macros? I got 350 carbs/306 protein/ and 55 fat grams. Is that good for a lean bulk? I can modify it.

weedlewott
11-20-09, 10:11 pm
Ok I worked a meal plan to 3199 cals but what about macros? I got 350 carbs/306 protein/ and 55 fat grams. Is that good for a lean bulk? I can modify it.

That doesn't look too bad to me. Add in about 15 minutes of cardio a day, 6 days a week, and you'll see some good gains. Also, make sure you're doing ab work. Your macros look fine for now. If you're still packing it on, drop your carbs by 25 at a time until you're happy with your gains. I'm not an expert, but I have learned a lot, and from what I read up on, that should do you good.

theharjmann
11-22-09, 3:34 pm
Okay I started my bulk diet about three weeks ago and am so far very happy with the rate at which my gains are going, I am taking real gains twice a day and m-stak along with pump daily. I am going off of Rage's diet plan for team yellow and taking in a lil less than 4000 calories a day(all clean). But I'm noticing the fat starting to pack on, how do I modify these without losing gains?

dude, personally i would say stick with it. im trying to "bulk" now, and im putting on some fat aswell. But you will put on fat when you are trying to pack on serious size. As long as the fat doesnt stay on for years, it will be easy to shred off when it comes to the summer.

Im loving the thin layer of fat i have now...especially since its winter. if anything, id say train 5 days a week instead of cutting calories if you are that worried....Back, Chest, Arms, Legs, Delts.

Fleadom4all
11-22-09, 6:05 pm
awesome, thanks guys :)

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 6:58 pm
dude, personally i would say stick with it. im trying to "bulk" now, and im putting on some fat aswell. But you will put on fat when you are trying to pack on serious size. As long as the fat doesnt stay on for years, it will be easy to shred off when it comes to the summer.

Im loving the thin layer of fat i have now...especially since its winter. if anything, id say train 5 days a week instead of cutting calories if you are that worried....Back, Chest, Arms, Legs, Delts.

I agree with this guy. Being a little fat in the winter is human and should be embraced. Our bodies need calories to burn so it can create more body heat to keep us warm. In the summer we simply adapt and eat a little less because the sun is there to fill in the gaps and keep us warm.

But if I was to add in my $0.02, which of course I will... I would say to stay off the supplements (Real Gains especially) and use them as a resort to turn to when you stop making gains in the most natural way. You should simply start with a multi vitamin and milk. You'd be surprised at how big you can get when you make everything as simple as possible. Also... I looked over that diet and it is horrible and will without a doubt make you gain more fat than is necessary.

If you want an example of what I think is a proper bulk, just ask me by message or however else. I'm currently bulking and achieving pretty much the highest rate of muscle growth I've ever experienced with minimal fat gain.

Fleadom4all
11-23-09, 3:50 pm
I would be fine with a lil fat gain but I gain easy, I just finished a loss of 75lbs and my skin is still stretched around my gut so the fat comes back on very easily. I have to be careful, so I would rather try to minimize fat gain during this bulk.

Kryptonite
11-23-09, 9:42 pm
I would be fine with a lil fat gain but I gain easy, I just finished a loss of 75lbs and my skin is still stretched around my gut so the fat comes back on very easily. I have to be careful, so I would rather try to minimize fat gain during this bulk.

You most likely do not gain easily, not many of us do. If we could, we'd all be monsters at 300+ lbs. What kinda' world would that be? I also thought that I put on weight relatively quickly after I lost my weight, but you have to accept the fact that when you feel good for doing well on your diet and/or working out hard you will also feel and look (to yourself) as leaner and more muscular. Unfortunately, this goes the opposite way aswell. When you feel you are not doing as well on your diet as you could be and/or could have worked out better you will most probably feel like shit and this will make you depressed about the way you look, if it is one of your more major concerns.

I'm sure we have all experienced this one time or another. Haven't we?

Fleadom4all
11-24-09, 12:15 pm
Do you mean gain as in gain fat or muscle? Cause when I said I gain easily I meant I gain fat easily with a high calorie diet, whether it be a clean diet or not lol.

Kryptonite
11-24-09, 4:52 pm
Do you mean gain as in gain fat or muscle? Cause when I said I gain easily I meant I gain fat easily with a high calorie diet, whether it be a clean diet or not lol.

Gaining is gaining.

You put on fat easy, you put on muscle easy. The difference is excercise.

No excercise, the gains are mostly fat and a little muscle. Excercise, the gains are mostly muscle and of course a little fat. Maybe you'll just need to add some extra intensity to your routine?

All that I was saying in that whole post was that if we feel like shit we will think that we look like shit when we really don't.

The_Legacy
11-24-09, 6:13 pm
Maybe one day of light cardio a week? Or possibly a a couple of meals with less carbs/leaner meats.

Ricky P
11-24-09, 6:20 pm
You most likely do not gain easily, not many of us do. If we could, we'd all be monsters at 300+ lbs. What kinda' world would that be? I also thought that I put on weight relatively quickly after I lost my weight, but you have to accept the fact that when you feel good for doing well on your diet and/or working out hard you will also feel and look (to yourself) as leaner and more muscular. Unfortunately, this goes the opposite way aswell. When you feel you are not doing as well on your diet as you could be and/or could have worked out better you will most probably feel like shit and this will make you depressed about the way you look, if it is one of your more major concerns.

I'm sure we have all experienced this one time or another. Haven't we?

Haha, yes.

Ricky P
11-24-09, 6:22 pm
No, I'm not doing any cardio.

I think if you could do some HIIT every other workout, directly AFTER your workout, you'll notice a difference. It's a good way to keep your cardio up and to burn some fat. If you stay at 3500+ calories with no cardio, fat will undoubtably build up.

Kryptonite
11-24-09, 6:41 pm
Maybe one day of light cardio a week? Or possibly a a couple of meals with less carbs/leaner meats.

Well, if this guy's bulking... I wouldn't suggest any of that. But that's just me. Some people believe in doing cardio on a bulk. I do not... Because having 5-10 lbs of food in your stomach and then doing cardio sucks. Cardio sucks anyway, but even more so while bulking. Haha

MELTDOWN
11-24-09, 9:25 pm
Ya gots to have some cardio to help your heart and lungs keep up with the extra mass you're trying to add.

Pizzalamp
11-24-09, 9:26 pm
Ya gots to have some cardio to help your heart and lungs keep up with the extra mass you're trying to add.

agreed

arnold and lou ferrigno did cardio....jogging...

cardio is very important and we all should be doing it

The_Legacy
11-24-09, 9:27 pm
Well, if this guy's bulking... I wouldn't suggest any of that. But that's just me. Some people believe in doing cardio on a bulk. I do not... Because having 5-10 lbs of food in your stomach and then doing cardio sucks. Cardio sucks anyway, but even more so while bulking. Haha

Yeah, I meant like early morning cardio after a shake or something.