PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good core/ab strengthening exercises

braves561
11-20-09, 4:06 pm
I like to do abs/core on my off days and sometimes after my workouts. I'm looking for something new so I can change things up.

Aggression
11-20-09, 4:15 pm
This has been my ab routine for the last few weeks. Its been real solid at getting a pump and making you want to quit.

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x 15-20
Rope Crunches: 3 x 15-20
Leg Raises on a flat bench: 3 x 15-20

*be sure to squeeze every rep hard to get the most of out it and don't just 'bob up and down'

GJN5002
11-20-09, 4:31 pm
I hate doing abs. Back day, I think deads are enough, leg day squats are enough, then usually one day I'll throw in some rope pulldowns, planks, side planks.

braves561
11-20-09, 4:32 pm
This has been my ab routine for the last few weeks. Its been real solid at getting a pump and making you want to quit.

Hanging Leg Raises: 3 x 15-20
Rope Crunches: 3 x 15-20
Leg Raises on a flat bench: 3 x 15-20

*be sure to squeeze every rep hard to get the most of out it and don't just 'bob up and down'

thanks. I'm gonna try this out at the end out my workout tomorrow.

Pizzalamp
11-20-09, 6:48 pm
i love training abs

heres one of my favorite routines

swiss ball toe touches(feet on stabilty ball, hands on ground in incline plank postion-now alternate legs and touch feet on floor next to ball)....3 x 15 per side

supersetted with

hanging reverse crunch(knees touch face as hips are rolled towards you)... 3 x 15

power kickups(lay on back, roll backwards slighty and bring knees toward chest, hands go behind head on ground like you are doing a bridge, now explosively kick feet upwards and push off with hands and land on your feet) ...3 x 15

supersetted with

medicine ball standups(hold med ball, squat down and lay on back and then do a sit up and stand up)... 3 x 15

Hanging wipers(hang from pullups bar, raise legs above head, now bring legs side to side like windshield wipers on car)...3 x 15

supersetted with

hand toe touches(go into pushup position, now rotate body left and right, and each rotation bring right leg up into air and touch left hand, rotate to other side and touch left foot to right hand...hands shoud be high above head as the body is rotated upwards)....3 x 15

The_Legacy
11-20-09, 7:05 pm
Rope crunches are definatly awesome, they are unique and the strengthen the core alot.

prowrestler
11-20-09, 7:38 pm
form of standing ab
a form of plank
a form of decline ab

reps = 5-20

10 sets and under is good. no less then 4

t_mh
11-20-09, 7:42 pm
i love training abs

heres one of my favorite routines

swiss ball toe touches(feet on stabilty ball, hands on ground in incline plank postion-now alternate legs and touch feet on floor next to ball)....3 x 15 per side

supersetted with

hanging reverse crunch(knees touch face as hips are rolled towards you)... 3 x 15

power kickups(lay on back, roll backwards slighty and bring knees toward chest, hands go behind head on ground like you are doing a bridge, now explosively kick feet upwards and push off with hands and land on your feet) ...3 x 15

supersetted with

medicine ball standups(hold med ball, squat down and lay on back and then do a sit up and stand up)... 3 x 15

Hanging wipers(hang from pullups bar, raise legs above head, now bring legs side to side like windshield wipers on car)...3 x 15

supersetted with

hand toe touches(go into pushup position, now rotate body left and right, and each rotation bring right leg up into air and touch left hand, rotate to other side and touch left foot to right hand...hands shoud be high above head as the body is rotated upwards)....3 x 15

Listen to pizza. The ab training maniac.

I tend to use rope pulldowns and decline situps. Both simple and loadable.

Cstlfx
11-20-09, 10:00 pm
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/1100lb_abs.htm

Here's a great list of exercises with videos for training abs, especially if you're looking for some extra power.

100jan
11-21-09, 6:51 am
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/Article-detail.asp?Articleid=486

Try this.

braves561
11-21-09, 7:27 pm
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I appreciate it.

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 7:43 pm
I think this is a very efficient ab routine... It splits your abs and brings the obliques out.

- 15 minutes of cardio.

- Decline abs (max height) 30 reps, 4 sets. The second half of reps should contain a twist to the right anbd then left.

- Cable rope crunches (low weight) 30-60 reps, 4 sets. The second half of reps should contain a twist to the right and then left.

- Decline leg lifts (lowest level) 15-30 reps, 4 sets. Each lift should contain a motion where you try and touch the ceiling with your toes.

- Machine ab crunches (controlled weight) 40 reps, 4 sets. 20 should be done straight down, 10 to the left, and ten to the right.

This may seem ridiculous, but is well worth it if you are serious about having jaw-dropping abs.

Young&Hungry
11-22-09, 9:37 pm
Squat and deadlift heavy without a belt. I do 0 extra core work other than this and I've never been told my abs are a weak point, LOL. Think lifting without a belt is dumb or even dangerous? Try squatting just 85% of your belted max without a belt and then tell me your core can't get any stronger than it already is.

I think a lot of people who write about specific exercises that "bring out point xyz" of your abs are full of it. The key to having decent abs is having low body fat percentage, end of story. I'm not saying that these exercises certainly won't add some nice strength and definition in the long run, but the deciding factor between you having visible abs is not 4 sets of 15 on the Nautilus Machine Crunch. It's getting your ass on a diet and a treadmill.