PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a cutting routine, please!

VikingBP
11-24-09, 10:11 am
My name is Brian and I am 6' 5" - 257 lbs - 24 years old. I have been doing the same routine for a year now while interchanging different exercises and going heavy for 4-6 reps for a couple weeks and going light for 8-12 reps for a couple weeks 2-3hrs 5-6 days a week. Over the summer I put on ten pounds of muscle and I was getting stronger. And then my strength began to gradually decrease(especially with pressing exercises). To counteract this I went on a dirty bulk and I tried doing alot of extra work and I've added dropsets and supersets. I picked up my pace and started doing a little cardio consistenly. During my third week of this I noticed I wasn't getting any stronger and I've put on a few pounds of extra fat. Then last Tuesday I had a terrible chest workout and woke up the next day barely able to lift my left arm. I've been resting it for a week now and it doesn't hurt as bad but I've hurt my shoulders enough to know that if I try to go back to lifting as usual it will only get alot worse.

My theory is that I've been overtraining for long time and my routine has become stale. My back and my joints all ache now. So I'm going to use some Animal Cuts and get back on Animal Flex(I should have NEVER stopped using Flex) But I really need a routine that will allow me to cut all my fat off while I rehabilitate my shoulder. I've been thinking about full body workouts and things of that nature but I'm skeptical. I really just want something that works, and I know somebody on here must know exactly what I should do. Sorry this is like a novel. Please help.

VikingBP
11-24-09, 2:45 pm
I don't need somebody to outline an entire program I'm just looking for a type of program that may work best, or any sort of suggestions.

Littlefry
11-24-09, 11:49 pm
Ive used FST-7 type training with great success while cutting. However you also need a solid diet along with cardio to really shred up. I recommend Dave Palumbo's Cutting diet if your up for a challange and with it you will see the fat drop off at a consistent rate. Anyways heres the FST-7 program I ran last year with my cut, remeber though this was a program tailored to my needs and some fo them will differ for you. The best thing to do is mix it up and find what works best for your body and then go from there.

FST-7 Routine
Day 1 – Quads – Hams – Calves
Quads
Leg extensions 3 x 12 10 8 (warm-up)
Squats 4 x 12 10 8 8
Leg press 3 x 12 10 8
Leg extension 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Hamstrings
Lying leg curls 3 x 12 10 8 (warm-up)
Stiff-leg deadlift 3-4 x 10-12
Single leg curl 3-4 x 10-15 each leg
Lying leg curls 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Calves
Workout A
Standing calf raise 4 x 12 10 8 8
Seated calf raise 4 x 15 15 15 15
Leg press calf raise 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)

Day 2 – Back Width – Triceps
Back - width emphasis
Warm-up: Neutral-grip chin-ups 3 x failure
Wide-grip Pulldowns 3 x 12 10 8
Barbell row 3 x 12 10 8
Machine row 3 x 12 10 8
Cable Row 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Triceps
Close-grip bench press 4 x 12 10 8 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 12 10 8
Cable extension 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Day 3 – Delts – Biceps
Shoulders
Seated Barbell press 4 x 12 10 8 8
Dumbbell front raise 3 x 12 10 8
Barbell Up-right Row 3 x 12 10 8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Biceps
Barbell Curls 4 x 12 10 8 8
Alternate Dumbbell Curl 3 x 12 10 8
EZ-Bar Curls 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)

Day 4 – Pecs – Calves
Chest
Incline dumbbell press 4 x 12 10 8 8
Incline dumbbell fly’s 3 x 12 10 8
Flat Bench 3 x 12 10 8
Pec deck 7 x 10 (25 sec rest between sets - max)
Calves
Workout B
Leg press or calf sled raise 4 x 12 12 10 10
Standing calf raise 4 x 12 12 10 10
Seated calf raise 7 x 12 (25 sec rest between sets - max)

VikingBP
11-25-09, 10:54 am
Thank you very much. How did you split up the rest days? And how much rest between sets did you typically take, or is it 25 seconds for everything(cuz 25 second rest sounds insane for squats haha)?

Littlefry
11-25-09, 7:14 pm
I usually went 2 days on 1 day off 2 days on, but you can set it up however you like. The 25sec between sets is only for the exercises it is stated for. Its to get a good stretch in the muscle fibers and allow for a good pump to bring blood and nutrients to the muscles.

C.Coronato
11-30-09, 9:15 am
I like to do the same routines from my cutting(show season) and bulking(off season) .. the only thing i really change is the eating ..

VikingBP
11-30-09, 9:36 am
Sounds good. Thanks to the both of you.

shizz702
11-30-09, 10:10 am
I think when cutting a heavy/light routine is the best bet, as you still want to lift heavy to preserve the mass, but the need for lower intensity days comes into play to aid with recovery: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20292

BionicMasterPiece
11-30-09, 3:10 pm
Keep training heavy and hard, just because your cutting doesnt mean you should change up your training, doing higher reps wont do you a damn thing bro. I mean you built that muscle being an animal right? If it aint broke dont fix it, in this case training should stay the same and diet should be in check.

Good Luck and Train Like a Freak.

J-PILE
12-01-09, 2:23 am
You need to take a week off bud. Training heavy if your entire body hurts is a god awful, shitty idea. Listen to your body... it's telling you something. Flex is a maintaince supplement. It is like Animal Pak, in that it is something you take everyday, but it's not going to perform miracles. I'd figure out your diet and cardio, as they will take you to where you want to go... My just 2c.