PDA

View Full Version : Karate and Conditioning

Maccabee
11-24-09, 10:34 pm
Hey,

I just started learning Shotokan Karate. As far as physical strength comes into the equation I dont have a problem with that really since I am a powerlifter. I did a little boxing a few years ago, but I dont really remember all the conditioning drills we did.

Therefore, my problem is conditioning. I am slow.

I need a basic beginners conditioning routine to get me started. I have access to weights, stairs, jump rope, and a punching bag.

Any ideas?

C.Coronato
11-25-09, 9:42 am
I would look into Cross Fit. That shit will get you conditioned in no time.

Maccabee
11-26-09, 8:32 pm
Thank you.

ironshaolin
11-26-09, 8:48 pm
With weights and jumpropes and a heavy bag you seriously have all you need. Throw in a few barbell complexes, those rock. In the past I've done workouts always starting with a 2-3 min round of jump rope, but now in my morning training we do 5 2 min rounds of jump rope so I don't do that during my gym sessions.

Try adding in, either AFTER your lifting, or on an off day, some complexes. Examples:

6 reps each, back to back with NO putting the bar down, as little pauses as possible
Deadlift, stiff dead, bent row, power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, good morning
Another way is to do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps adding weight each time. I like the 5-6 reps for 3-5 cycles at the end of a workout.

Snatch grip deadlift into hang power snatch, into overhead squat, into behind the head push jerk-3-5 reps each back to back

Deadlift, high pull, clean and jerk, back squat, good morning, lunge

or just go for rounds on the heavy bag, thats a personal favorite.

So one suggestion might be to alternate. Begin every workout with 2 or 3 rounds of jump rope as a warm up. Do your powerlifting workout, then end with either a barbell complex or a few rounds of 2 or 3 mins on a heavy bag, and alternate between the two.

TigerAce01
11-26-09, 8:57 pm
I would look into Cross Fit. That shit will get you conditioned in no time.

I did CrossFit for a while religiously while I was still fighting. After about a week, I was in better condition than most of my camp. Check the first half of my journey.

-Ace

Maccabee
11-27-09, 11:11 am
With weights and jumpropes and a heavy bag you seriously have all you need. Throw in a few barbell complexes, those rock. In the past I've done workouts always starting with a 2-3 min round of jump rope, but now in my morning training we do 5 2 min rounds of jump rope so I don't do that during my gym sessions.

Try adding in, either AFTER your lifting, or on an off day, some complexes. Examples:

6 reps each, back to back with NO putting the bar down, as little pauses as possible
Deadlift, stiff dead, bent row, power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, good morning
Another way is to do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps adding weight each time. I like the 5-6 reps for 3-5 cycles at the end of a workout.

Snatch grip deadlift into hang power snatch, into overhead squat, into behind the head push jerk-3-5 reps each back to back

Deadlift, high pull, clean and jerk, back squat, good morning, lunge

or just go for rounds on the heavy bag, thats a personal favorite.

So one suggestion might be to alternate. Begin every workout with 2 or 3 rounds of jump rope as a warm up. Do your powerlifting workout, then end with either a barbell complex or a few rounds of 2 or 3 mins on a heavy bag, and alternate between the two.

Thank you very much. I am going to get so strong. I have never done conditioning work seriously.

ironshaolin
11-27-09, 3:55 pm
Pokoritel,

I know you're already much stronger than I am after checking out your log. The one thing I am pretty good at is conditioning. Follow a few of those things, along with your heavy numbers and you will be one force to be reckoned with.

While I'm at it, here's another good one:

THE BEAR COMPLEX:each excersise for 1 rep in succesion, the routine performed 7 times before setting the bar down.
Deadlift into power clean into front squat into press into back squat. Repeat 7 times, rest 1 min, add weight until you can't get 7 times anymore.

Another thing I've done with GREAT success is to do my workouts with 1 main lift, working up to a heavy 1, 3, or 5 rep max, followed by 1 or 2 assistance excersises, followed with one SHORT HEAVY METCON. Characterized by no more than 10 mins total, here's a few examples:
Four rounds, individually for time:
5 x 65lb Dumbbell Snatch (each hand)
10 x 65lb Dumbbell Swing
10 Burpees
Rest

5 rounds of:
3 reps 315# deadlifts
7 reps burpees w/15# in a backpack

Run 400m
50 Pull-ups with vest
50 Push-ups with vest
Run 400m
50 Sit-ups with vest
50 Squats with vest
Run 400m

5rnds:
15-70# DB Swings
15-Ring Dips

5 rounds of:
10 KB OH swings, 32 kg
10 ring pushups

For time:
200m Bear crawl with weight vest
20 push-ups
200m Bear crawl
20 air squats

there's a few examples, if you're interested I have about 100 or so short workouts like that written down.

Maccabee
11-29-09, 5:01 pm
Pokoritel,

I know you're already much stronger than I am after checking out your log. The one thing I am pretty good at is conditioning. Follow a few of those things, along with your heavy numbers and you will be one force to be reckoned with.

While I'm at it, here's another good one:

THE BEAR COMPLEX:each excersise for 1 rep in succesion, the routine performed 7 times before setting the bar down.
Deadlift into power clean into front squat into press into back squat. Repeat 7 times, rest 1 min, add weight until you can't get 7 times anymore.

Another thing I've done with GREAT success is to do my workouts with 1 main lift, working up to a heavy 1, 3, or 5 rep max, followed by 1 or 2 assistance excersises, followed with one SHORT HEAVY METCON. Characterized by no more than 10 mins total, here's a few examples:
Four rounds, individually for time:
5 x 65lb Dumbbell Snatch (each hand)
10 x 65lb Dumbbell Swing
10 Burpees
Rest

5 rounds of:
3 reps 315# deadlifts
7 reps burpees w/15# in a backpack

Run 400m
50 Pull-ups with vest
50 Push-ups with vest
Run 400m
50 Sit-ups with vest
50 Squats with vest
Run 400m

5rnds:
15-70# DB Swings
15-Ring Dips

5 rounds of:
10 KB OH swings, 32 kg
10 ring pushups

For time:
200m Bear crawl with weight vest
20 push-ups
200m Bear crawl
20 air squats

there's a few examples, if you're interested I have about 100 or so short workouts like that written down.

I am very thankful for your help. If you have more I will be more then glad to take it.

Today I did some conditioning work.

Punching the bag. Speed Drills. Power Drills.

ironshaolin
11-29-09, 6:00 pm
How'd your conditioning work feel today?

If you PM me your e-mail address, I will send you a file I have with a seriously tremendous amount of VERY short, conditionign workouts.

Maccabee
11-30-09, 9:25 am
How'd your conditioning work feel today?

If you PM me your e-mail address, I will send you a file I have with a seriously tremendous amount of VERY short, conditionign workouts.

I was very surprised that I was lasting. I thought I was going to fall apart. Endurance was a little factor but I know my body will adapt fast.

Today I am going to focus on conditioning my legs. I am going to kick the bag again and force my shins to go through the pain.

I am going to PM you shortly. Thanks.