PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Gyms

willah
11-25-09, 12:06 am
Anyone been on a cruise and have experience with the gym facilites on board?

I am thinking of taking a position on board a ship, but I'd like to be able to keep training adequately. I know it won't treat me as nice as my current well stocked gym, but for instance, would I find:

Power rack?
Smith machine, even?
Dumbells?
Barbells?
Think I can get away with deadlifting?
Hell, are there even plates?

I get the feeling these places are "fitness centers" and not actual gyms.. Lots of treadmills and rubber 5lb dumbells probably..

Cstlfx
11-25-09, 12:42 am
Remember, this is a ship. They do not want things that move around a lot that can cause excessive damage and injury.

From the ship I was on (one of Carnival's Fun Ships) had a few Universal stations (the stations that have 4+ machines attached in the center), tread mills, elipticals, bike, and some light dumbbells.

jesse45690
11-25-09, 11:13 am
I just went on a cruise a few months ago, and like stated earlier, they don't want things that move around a lot. The cruise boat itself was top of the line, all the equipment was top notch. That being said there was everything that you may want. They had DB's that went to 80's and that's it. They had one smith machine. Other then that everything else was machines. I'm pretty sure none have BB's. Not for sure though.

fenix237
11-25-09, 11:35 am
can you imagine BB squatting 4, 5, or 6 hundred pounds and the ship starts to pitch and roll!!!

although i don't care for them, i'd be looking for a smith machine instead haha!!

wedge
11-25-09, 11:51 am
I recently took a cruise for my honeymoon. The onboard gym was basically several machines and a small free weight area that had dumbbells that went up to 50 lbs.
I basically went for volume.

71bbo455
11-26-09, 8:24 am
I've been on a few cruises and it's pretty much what everyone is stating. A few machines, lots of cardio equipment, dumbells up to 50 or in that area, and maybe a few plates with one barbell. You can be creative to keep your physique but building one might not work too well. Good luck with your decision.

theharjmann
11-27-09, 11:09 am
Anyone been on a cruise and have experience with the gym facilites on board?

I am thinking of taking a position on board a ship, but I'd like to be able to keep training adequately. I know it won't treat me as nice as my current well stocked gym, but for instance, would I find:

Power rack?
Smith machine, even?
Dumbells?
Barbells?
Think I can get away with deadlifting?
Hell, are there even plates?

I get the feeling these places are "fitness centers" and not actual gyms.. Lots of treadmills and rubber 5lb dumbells probably..

Basically, you WILL grow when on a cruise since the food is so fucking amazing.

When i go on cruises, i just chill out and eat everything i can. I train occasionally in the evening, but as everyone says, its got light dumbells and machines.

But i think that is a good thing, becuase its good to give the body a break from heavy weights (central nevrous system, joints and tendons.)

I like light weights on holidays, because when i go, i go in the evening, run for 5-10 minutes and do some pump exercises with the light dumbells and machines so i look pumped, vascular and generally awesome for dinner!

Couple a good upper body pump and a tight shirt with the glowing tan you get and your girl will be all over you in the evening....which is what you want when you go on holiday!

You gotta be vain and show off what you been working your balls off for at least once a year!

Peace

willah
11-28-09, 11:45 pm
Thanks for the input guys..

As mentioned above, food is abundant so I feel good about that, but I think if this goes ahead I'll have to buy some bands and other bits to take with me to make sure I can do some decent work.

willah
11-28-09, 11:47 pm
I just went on a cruise a few months ago, and like stated earlier, they don't want things that move around a lot. The cruise boat itself was top of the line, all the equipment was top notch. That being said there was everything that you may want. They had DB's that went to 80's and that's it. They had one smith machine. Other then that everything else was machines. I'm pretty sure none have BB's. Not for sure though.

Do you remember what cruise line it was? That sounds like the best of the bunch.