PDA

View Full Version : Keto/Training

Ardent
11-29-09, 11:35 am
Hey brothers iv recently started cutting so im doing the "BodyOpus" Diet as well as rebound training associated with it. I wanted to know what others have done as far as training while on a keto ( Carb restricted diet) less than 20g of carbs a day. The way my cycle works is carb loading for glycogen super compensation on sat and sun, so those two will be my heavy lifting days. 5 days no carbs 2 days loading, its a 7 day cycle.

I am 5'9
15% BF
Time to cut and shred and see where I stand. Any advice, training tips would be appreciated. I find even with an energy supplement im drained on the non carb days, I attempted legs for the first time on it and nearly dropped. As far as supplements go i take fish oil, flax seed oil, linoleic acid, BCAAs pre during and post workout, and animal paks. Im looking into using animal cuts to super charge this cutting cycle. Has anyone used cuts if so howd ya like it? Im sure its great and wanna give it a run. Also is anyone an advocate of creatine during a cutting cycle? Iv heard mixed things if so its Animal pump for me. And there is my plethora of questions brothers, i look forward to reading your insights and opinions.

naturalguy
11-29-09, 12:14 pm
Creatine is even more important when cutting in my opinion. It will help keep your strength and muscle.

Your training should not change however one of the things I didn't like about doing keto was that it affected my workouts.

shizz702
11-29-09, 12:36 pm
You got to get your mind right and keep pushing. You shouldn't lose much if any strength while cutting down and at a minimum maintain the current poundages you lifted pre-cutting.

Train legs on your carb up day, as they are the most taxing.

Keep protein intake high to preserve mass, and take in an abundance of healthy fats.

Remember a big part of this is mental. If you get down and out and think you're losing strength and energy you will. If you get focused and push yourself you may even continue to gain.

IronWilson
11-29-09, 1:10 pm
Remember a big part of this is mental. If you get down and out and think you're losing strength and energy you will. If you get focused and push yourself you may even continue to gain.

Right on....

On some days if you are in the gym and forget that you are cutting, you'll find that you may even get stronger. If you can passed the whole "I'm not taking in any carbs" part, the rest will be high energy and potential gains.

shizz702
11-29-09, 2:06 pm
Right on....

On some days if you are in the gym and forget that you are cutting, you'll find that you may even get stronger. If you can passed the whole "I'm not taking in any carbs" part, the rest will be high energy and potential gains.

Exactly.

I've been on a CKD diet now for over 2 months, haven't lost any strength, and in fact have continued to gain.

The main thing I've found to work for me is to keep protein intake high, as well as lots of veggies and healthy fats, and to not be afraid to let loose a little on the carb up day.

The idea is protein to preserve the muscle, fats for energy, veggies for digestion, and the carb up day to maintain sanity and to actually benefit you by upping your glycogen stores and stimulating your metabolism.

Littlefry
11-29-09, 10:51 pm
Shizz what type of Keto diet are you currently running? I plan on running a keto diet this upcoming Feb when I start my cut.

Ardent
11-29-09, 11:17 pm
Thanks for the advice and insight guys. I like the Keto diet and am feeling a positive impact. The only thing im not keen on is the rebound training although ill try it. Its very light weight high reps with an interesting schedule. im thinking of keeping my routine but maybe doing 4 exercises 5 sets a piece for large body parts at a 20 , 15 ,12 , 12, 15 rep range. and 3 exercises 5 sets a piece for small parts same rep range. high volume light- moderate weight. and on carb loading days do some heavy lifting around 6-12 rep range. all the big ones squat, dead-lift and so on. will see how the keto effects my workouts im guessing that will play a key part in determining volume.
ill play with it a little and see how it goes. i think always trying different rep ranges and routines forces growth so long as your requiting and stimulating that fiber then feeding it.
Any routines people have used on keto would be cool to read if anyone would care to share.

Always intense.

shizz702
11-30-09, 7:39 am
Shizz what type of Keto diet are you currently running? I plan on running a keto diet this upcoming Feb when I start my cut.

A Cyclical Keto Diet. Basically I low carb Sun-Mon, eating primarily meat, veggies, cheeses, nuts, whey, and olive oil, then on Saturday I pretty much let loose and anything goes.

It has been very effective for me, the fat basically melted right off and no strength or mass losses either. There's an adundance of info on this kind of dieting online, do some research on it and see what you think and if you have any questions drop me a pm.

shizz702
11-30-09, 7:45 am
Thanks for the advice and insight guys. I like the Keto diet and am feeling a positive impact. The only thing im not keen on is the rebound training although ill try it. Its very light weight high reps with an interesting schedule. im thinking of keeping my routine but maybe doing 4 exercises 5 sets a piece for large body parts at a 20 , 15 ,12 , 12, 15 rep range. and 3 exercises 5 sets a piece for small parts same rep range. high volume light- moderate weight. and on carb loading days do some heavy lifting around 6-12 rep range. all the big ones squat, dead-lift and so on. will see how the keto effects my workouts im guessing that will play a key part in determining volume.
ill play with it a little and see how it goes. i think always trying different rep ranges and routines forces growth so long as your requiting and stimulating that fiber then feeding it.
Any routines people have used on keto would be cool to read if anyone would care to share.

Always intense.

Keep the weights heavy, if you stick with high reps like that you will lose strength. The heavy weights are what put on the mass and they are what's gonna keep it. If you want or feel the need to have some light days (which is understandable) than the most effective way to run that is with a heavy/light routine. Check this out to get an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20292

That one is kind of on the higher volume side, so this would probably be better for you since you're dieting: http://ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8407

You get to a point where you can't keep adding weight or progressing every workout, and some intensity cycling becomes necessary. I suggest running something like the above routines, I've been doing something similar for a while now with great success. Any questions feel free to drop me a pm.

Ardent
11-30-09, 9:39 am
A Cyclical Keto Diet. Basically I low carb Sun-Mon, eating primarily meat, veggies, cheeses, nuts, whey, and olive oil, then on Saturday I pretty much let loose and anything goes.

It has been very effective for me, the fat basically melted right off and no strength or mass losses either. There's an adundance of info on this kind of dieting online, do some research on it and see what you think and if you have any questions drop me a pm.

Thanks for the links thell definitely be useful in my routine construction. Also i wanted to ask you if you counted calories. I know there's a formula that shows you how many calories from protein and fat you need on your carb restricted days and how many calories you need in carbs on your loading day based on maintenance calories. The calculator can be found online. . . anyways my question to you is to you use this formula or just eat based on instinct without measuring out and portioning. what guidelines do you use? As you've had great success id like to know your method if you would. thanks much.

shizz702
11-30-09, 9:58 am
Thanks for the links thell definitely be useful in my routine construction. Also i wanted to ask you if you counted calories. I know there's a formula that shows you how many calories from protein and fat you need on your carb restricted days and how many calories you need in carbs on your loading day based on maintenance calories. The calculator can be found online. . . anyways my question to you is to you use this formula or just eat based on instinct without measuring out and portioning. what guidelines do you use? As you've had great success id like to know your method if you would. thanks much.

I never bothered to count calories, I just follow these basic guide lines:

Sun-Fri

Take in NO "direct" carbs.

Eat a meat or fish protein source with each meal, make sure it is fresh, no processed crap.

Have a side of veggies (greens or cruciferious) or a healthy fat source (almonds, walnuts, cheeses) with the protein source.

Take in whey shakes in water, with a tbsp of olive oil mixed in them in between meals and post workout. No need for the olive oil post workout though.

Saturday

Carb up day, pretty much anything goes. Fast food and junk is ok, but I don't over do it. I still go for things like fruits, and oatmeal, pasta, whole wheat bread, etc. I just eat carb rich foods til I feel bloated and or smooth out.

Dave Palumbo's diet outlines an ideal low carb menu: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5899101

Basically you want to do something like that strict for 2 weeks, then the only difference between that and a CKD is instead of a cheat meal you have a carb up day, once you put in the two weeks low carb you earn you carb up day and take one day out of the week to carb up from there. The carb up day is necessary as not only it helps you maitain sanity but it replenishes glycogen stores and stimulates your metabolism.

That's what I recommend, and that's what I've been doing.