PDA

View Full Version : Lats and lat training

omfgapolarbear
12-03-09, 12:27 am
The sadass truth is my lats are disgustingly underdeveloped. Not to the point that they simply detract from my physique, but rather ruin it completely. They are my weakest feature both in appearance and in strength. What is the best way to build lat strength and size for someone who cannot do a bodyweight pullup and barely feels pulldowns no matter how he does them?

BionicMasterPiece
12-03-09, 12:54 am
The sadass truth is my lats are disgustingly underdeveloped. Not to the point that they simply detract from my physique, but rather ruin it completely. They are my weakest feature both in appearance and in strength. What is the best way to build lat strength and size for someone who cannot do a bodyweight pullup and barely feels pulldowns no matter how he does them?

isolating a muscle wont simply make the muscle grow, you need to do hardcore compound movements like barbell and dumbbell rows and deadlifts for complete back development, and so your target is your lats? after doing heavy rows add in some strict pulldowns shoot for 2 sets of 8-12 going to failure on each set, thats all you need, remember doing compound movements like deadlifts or squats can make your whole body grow....why? because those movements make anabolic hormones in your body run wild!!!! no other lifts can do that! but yeah im sure you get the point, so stick with something like this and train like demon!

Back-

Warm up with 3 light weight sets of pulldowns like this
underhand pulldowns 15 easy reps (feel your lower lats pulling out of your body)
wide grip pulldowns 10 easy reps (get the full stretch)
close grip pulldown 10 easy reps
oh yeah do all that with no rest in between...remember this is just a warm up
then...

barbell row 3x6-10 or deadlifts 3x5-8 (after warm 1-2 warm up sets of these go to failure on all 3 sets for all the exercises)
dumbbell row 2x10-12
wide grip pulldowns (heavy to failure) 2x8-12

and there ya go!

train like a freak my friend.

Big Wides
12-03-09, 6:10 am
To get a big back concentrate on heavy deadlifts and rows. i would do the deads first since they are the overall builder for your back then move into the rows, might do something like this:

Deads - 5/6 sets of 3-5 reps
Bent Over Rows - 4 sets of 3-natural muscle faliure
DB Rows - 3 sets
Pullups - 3 sets

Give this a shot for say 8-12 weeks and remember it takes time to build a big back, its a huge muscle group, keep the weight heavy and don't be afraid to eat

omfgapolarbear
12-03-09, 10:17 am
I probably should of posted my current back routine.

Deadlifts 5/3/1 focusing of strict, smooth form
Pulldowns 4X8-12 usually failing around ten and cheating the last two
T-bar rows 4X6-8 focusing on heavy weight
Dumbbell rows 4X8-12
Low cable rows 4X8-10 medium handle, focusing on getting a full stretch and pulling with the elbows and removing the biceps as much as possible from the movement

MrMonday
12-03-09, 11:10 am
Have you learned to spread your scapula and do a lat spread yet?

If not, that would be step 1 towards feeling your lats working.

The key to building the lats is progressive overload of the stretched position. You can try to focus on their "peak contraction" all you want, but until you're pulling heavy weights and stretching/flaring those lats out underneath the stretch, they aren't going to be growing much.

prowrestler
12-03-09, 12:00 pm
close grip chins, focus on the negative

bb rows, row into the stomach and move the weight with your elbows, not wrists

cable rope rows, pull into the lower cheat and retract the scaptula

IronWilson
12-03-09, 1:35 pm
Do bent over rows and dumbbell rows every back workout. Seems a little excessive, but I've found they both work the back a little differently. Once you get your mind-muscle connection with your back going, start improving your pullups.

mritter3
12-03-09, 3:04 pm
deads and rows for a thicker back....period.

omfgapolarbear
12-03-09, 7:31 pm

The key to building the lats is progressive overload of the stretched position. You can try to focus on their "peak contraction" all you want, but until you're pulling heavy weights and stretching/flaring those lats out underneath the stretch, they aren't going to be growing much.

Thanks man, this is what I was looking for, because I've never really done that before. I wasn't looking so much for any exercise, as how to make the lat exercises that I already know work. Thanks, tomorrow is back day, so I'm going to practice spreading my lats tonight and try tomorrow.

Please, mate, read the thread.

TigerAce01
12-03-09, 7:41 pm

This was honestly the biggest point in developing my back. It took me literally 2 years to teach my back muscles to flare out and correctly flex a lat spread. My back used to be weak, and wasn't anything special...now, my back is very thick, very strong, and many people give me compliments...and I'm by no means a bodybuilder, nor I have I wanted to be, so it surprises me.

It sounds so trivial, but learn to squeeze, flex, and expand your muscles correctly. 90% of everyone I've ever seen in the gym, trained with, or trained personally have no real mind/muscle connection...they may think they do...but they don't. Give an honest attempt everyday at learning your body, not just flexing your biceps in the mirror, but trying to squeeze every fiber of a very specific muscle. When I was having trouble with my overhead press, I learned how to separately flex each of the heads on my shoulders...and now my press is steadily going up. Try to completely relearn the flexing of your muscles, and it will pay great dividends.

-Ace

BionicMasterPiece
12-03-09, 7:57 pm

He wants a wider back duuuuude

Muscleguy93
12-03-09, 7:59 pm
He wants a wider back duuuuude

deadlifts and rows will build your entire back duuuuude.

omfgapolarbear
12-03-09, 10:23 pm
Actually, I mainly want to keep my lats from looking demented.

braves561
12-03-09, 11:07 pm
wide grip pulldowns, pull-ups, and DB rows have helped my lats out tremendously

Mizzarler
12-04-09, 1:20 am
Yea bb rows and deads. But if you wanna really blow up your lats I would do nautilus pullovers, weighed pullups and hs pulldowns are all awesome. Dorian liked doing nautilus pullovers and hs pulldowns at the beginning of his back workout and look at his back lol

g_mau18
12-05-09, 11:34 am
Haha when I was little I climbed trees all the freakin time. my lats are one my best bodyparts now

Ady
12-05-09, 3:56 pm
To quote a guy i used to train with and also someone i have alot of respect for.

"Row to grow" and i feel this applies here =)

theharjmann
12-05-09, 5:08 pm
To get a big back concentrate on heavy deadlifts and rows. i would do the deads first since they are the overall builder for your back then move into the rows, might do something like this:

Deads - 5/6 sets of 3-5 reps
Bent Over Rows - 4 sets of 3-natural muscle faliure
DB Rows - 3 sets
Pullups - 3 sets

Give this a shot for say 8-12 weeks and remember it takes time to build a big back, its a huge muscle group, keep the weight heavy and don't be afraid to eat

this is all you need to know. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BionicMasterPiece
12-05-09, 7:05 pm
deadlifts and rows will build your entire back duuuuude.

oh yeah? duuuuuude? deads and rows will thicken those cobras in your back but he was talkin about lats specificly duuuuude, but dont get mad this is the internet! duuude! rofl!

Mizzarler
12-05-09, 8:40 pm
deads and rows will thicken those cobras in your back but he was talkin about lats specificly
Yup, I guess no one wants to listen to us though lol

Muscleguy93
12-05-09, 9:42 pm
oh yeah? duuuuuude? deads and rows will thicken those cobras in your back but he was talkin about lats specificly duuuuude, but dont get mad this is the internet! duuude! rofl!

I dont know what kind of rows you do brother, but rows hit your lats damn hard. I never said that chins wont make you wide becuase they are also a key mass builder, But without being able to row big weight or pull big weight off the ground, forget about having a Big back. a routine like Big wides suggested is perfect. deadlift,rows, Chins.

E-Train
12-05-09, 10:30 pm
Haha when I was little I climbed trees all the freakin time. my lats are one my best bodyparts now

do we have a real monkey on our hands here?

BionicMasterPiece
12-06-09, 1:14 am
I dont know what kind of rows you do brother, but rows hit your lats damn hard. I never said that chins wont make you wide becuase they are also a key mass builder, But without being able to row big weight or pull big weight off the ground, forget about having a Big back. a routine like Big wides suggested is perfect. deadlift,rows, Chins.

YES SIR!