PDA

View Full Version : BICEPS - light and many vs heavy and few......opinions :-)

Deathride
12-03-09, 1:35 pm
So I've been meandering around this site a few months now......my journey began two months ago and its going well. One question I have....and was hoping to hear your opinions on....was the subject of bicep training.

Do you guys either
a) go with HIGH reps / supersets with less weight OR
b) curl more than I can press for a couple of reps? :D

I find that if I curl more weight, my form is rubbish and I don't feel it in my biceps the day after. So I train with a variety of supersets (curls with hammer curls, 21's etc, reverse curls to curls etc) cos thats the only way I can get my pump.

Any thoughts people? What works for you?

prowrestler
12-03-09, 1:53 pm
strict form with as much weight as possible

dont sacrifice form for weight at your stage...especialy with fuckin curls..

focus on reps in the 8-12 rep zone with a 1 second up, 1.5 seconds down tempo.

ironshaolin
12-03-09, 1:58 pm
Combination effect. I will always try to use a weight that feels heavy. Sometimes, that weight will bring me upwards of 20+reps. Other days, I might do many sets of 8-10, another day I might do a few sets with 4-6 reps. I've even worked up to using singles and doubles weight on thick bar curls. When I do that, I try to keep it a strict curl, no cheating. It all works, it just doesn't all work all the time.

MrMonday
12-03-09, 2:32 pm
Personally I keep the barbell and dumbbell curls to a heavy top set of 5-10 reps.

The preacher curls, concentration curls, and hammer curls are a few sets of 10-15.

Ozzy27
12-03-09, 2:50 pm
Hit them short and heavy, that's what worked for me

mritter3
12-03-09, 2:59 pm
i like to mix it up wit curls...some heavy some light, dont want them to get used to one way...i like to shock em.

J Wong
12-03-09, 3:06 pm
strict form with as much weight as possible

dont sacrifice form for weight at your stage...especialy with fuckin curls..

focus on reps in the 8-12 rep zone with a 1 second up, 1.5 seconds down tempo.

Says the guy who curls 155 pounds for reps...

:)

Deathride
12-03-09, 4:01 pm
Thanks for the response guys.....see, today was arm day

35lb db's - 10 curls, immediately 10 hammer curls.....STRICTLY. This burns (superset that with skullcrushers)
THEN barbell curls....90lb for 8 reps (last two are a bit iffy, but I'm focussin on the biceps and I can feel them workin), then extensions
THEN reverse curls supersetted with some lighter barbell curls........again burns like a bastard

This light, heavy, light seems to work for me. Dunno why :-)

pro-wrestler....absolutely agree with you. thanks for the input.

prowrestler
12-03-09, 4:55 pm
Says the guy who curls 155 pounds for reps...

:)

you know it ;)

prowrestler
12-03-09, 4:56 pm
Thanks for the response guys.....see, today was arm day

35lb db's - 10 curls, immediately 10 hammer curls.....STRICTLY. This burns (superset that with skullcrushers)
THEN barbell curls....90lb for 8 reps (last two are a bit iffy, but I'm focussin on the biceps and I can feel them workin), then extensions
THEN reverse curls supersetted with some lighter barbell curls........again burns like a bastard

This light, heavy, light seems to work for me. Dunno why :-)

pro-wrestler....absolutely agree with you. thanks for the input.

glad i can help.

try more straight sets. forget supersets n crap now. save your energy for the main lifts.

at the end. do 1 set with the 10lb dumbbells for 100 reps. strict tempo. your gonna get great at feeling them work that way

shizz702
12-03-09, 7:16 pm
The idea is to use relatively heavy weight, but at the same time use strict form. You ain't gonna get anywhere heaving it up with back momentum, and on the other side of the coin you ain't gonna grow from girly weights. So use the max that you can handle with good form and strive to progress from there. The only time cheating on your curls becomes necessary is when you're not progressing and you need to crank out those extra reps.