PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 questions

Kevin11
12-04-09, 2:42 pm
I was looking into trying the 5/3/1 but I have some questions.

This is the split I was gonna do...

Mon:
Standing Shoulder press
week 1: 3x5
week 2: 3x3
week 3: 3x5/3/1
*week 4: 3x5
Dips
5x15
Chin-Ups
5x10

Tues:
Deadlifts
Good Mornings
5x12
Hanging Leg Raises
5x15

Wed:
Off

Thurs:
Bench Press
Dumbbell Chest Press
5x15
Dumbbell Row
5x10

Friday:
Squat:
Leg Press:
5x15
Leg Curl:
5x10

*Deloading week

How long could I do this workout for (in terms of months)? Would my body become used to it even though I was increasing the weight? Should I change up the assisting exercises? Would I notice a change in size on this program too or just strength?

Thanks!

Kevin

Barker
12-04-09, 5:35 pm
I'm not sure why you would not go straight to Elitefts.com to ask questions about this routine. You can ask Mr. Wendler any questions about his program/ way of life. And its a long term program. Because of the changing rep patterns, deloading, and basing your weights off 90% of your max, you will be able to go for quite a while before you hit a wall. When you do hit a wall. Wendler suggests resetting your maxes when you start to plateau. But seriously, go to Elitefts.com and ask Jim Wendler about his routine.

richvanv
12-04-09, 5:46 pm
To your first question I would say that it all depends on you. I would do it until you stop seeing the results that you want, then either use a different template or program. Your body will get use to it just like it adapts to anything else, as long as you are pushing yourself in the gym you can run this program thru quite a few cycles. I would change up the assistance exercises, but again its upto you as to how often. You will notice a change in size and strength, but mostly strength. You will grow as long as you have intensity in your diet as well. If you dont have the book I would suggest getting it, Wendler has a few Q&A's and there is also one in the powerlifting here.

Edit: see above

Kevin11
12-04-09, 7:31 pm
Thanks to you both! I didn't even think about going to elitefts. I will do that now.