PDA

View Full Version : Which CARDIO to do AFTER weightlifting.

A.A.
12-05-09, 5:56 am
I know that the best way to lose and/or shred some body fat is to do cardio AFTER weightlifting. But I have a question. Which type of cardio do YOU prefer to do after? Or which cardo type do powerlifters use after they workout or they switch,etc. and FOR HOW LONG in total and each type? Examples: Treadmill, Jumping Rope, Rowing, Cycling, etc.

This would really give me the idea of which ones are the most popular and for how long I should be doing it to lose some body fat and become a bit more fit.

Thanks in advance.

shizz702
12-05-09, 10:08 am
I personally like high intensity cardio after my workouts, keeping it at around 15 minutes.

Lately I've been doing burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

T o m m Y
12-05-09, 11:18 am
Run hills,sprints,pull a sled,flip a tire..

J Wong
12-05-09, 11:40 am
I know that the best way to lose and/or shred some body fat is to do cardio AFTER weightlifting. But I have a question. Which type of cardio do YOU prefer to do after? Or which cardo type do powerlifters use after they workout or they switch,etc. and FOR HOW LONG in total and each type? Examples: Treadmill, Jumping Rope, Rowing, Cycling, etc.

This would really give me the idea of which ones are the most popular and for how long I should be doing it to lose some body fat and become a bit more fit.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a PLer and I have been doing the cardio machines in the gym (treadmill, elliptical, bike) for 30-60 minutes either after lifting or on non lifting days. Sometimes on my off days I will go in the back yard and do some tire flipping and sledgehammer work.

A.A.
12-05-09, 10:12 pm
Thanks for replies,guys...

Does the duration "in total" really count or just the quality of the post-cardio is what matters?

Which cardio type in your opinion is the most beneficial for burning pure fat calories to shred body fat?

In my gym I have a choice only between treadmill, elliptical, bike, rowing machine and jumping rope as main cardio machines. Other then that it's possible to find other methods to perform cardio after weightlifting, but I would like to focus on those for post-cardio. Which one or ones of them would you advice me to do after my weightlifting and for how long to take the most of that method to shred some body fat?

Naturally Huge
12-05-09, 11:53 pm
One piece of equipment that really helps me get shredded is the Stairmaster Stepmill. That thing is a bitch, but is highly effective. 30 min. on it will burn about 500-600 calories.

LayzieBone085
12-06-09, 9:19 pm
There is no "best" cardio for fat loss...everything is situation/individual dependent. Both will work great just as much as both can be detrimental if not done properly. Also, you must consider that cardio is a tool, not a crutch. Some will even say as little cardio as possible is the best way to go...and I think they have a valid argument. The real key with cardio is using it to make the most out of your cut/prep.

For instance, one thing I would strongly consider when choosing a cardio plan is to have it coincide with my dieting strategy. Generally speaking, the lower the carb approach, the more LISS based it should be and the higher the carb approach, the more HIIT based it should be. Again, very generalized, but that's the gist of it anyway. Finding that right balance takes time understanding yourself, taking into account how you train, how you respond, etc. But one thing is for certain - there is no "best" cardio for fat loss. I believe each one has their own benefits and place when used correctly.

Also, the difference of whether you are doing LISS vs moderate vs HIIT is in the heart rate. The more you do each one, the better feel you will have as to what is what. For instance, walking uphill can be LISS or even moderate cardio depending on the pace and incline...the more you work with the different variables involved, the better feel you will get as to what provides your body with what. Then it's a matter of incorporating it with your dieting and training strategy.

Hope that helps.

C.Coronato
12-07-09, 2:06 pm
I simply like to walk for 10-15 mins after working out. I do this while sipping my Torrent.

mritter3
12-07-09, 2:13 pm
I simply like to walk for 10-15 mins after working out. I do this while sipping my Torrent.

you and me both ttl, i dont do a whole lot of cardio, maybe 20 mins after a workout.

NickSP
12-07-09, 3:59 pm
Well then if you're trying to specifically target fat as much as possible, a lower intensity tends to use more fat as a PERCENTAGE of the calories you burn. Obviously a higher intensity will burn more total calories, but at high workloads at some point the majority of your energy is coming from burning carbs. So take your pick, layziebone also had a good post.

dyskee
12-08-09, 12:55 pm
complexes and running