PDA

View Full Version : It cannot be done

eutecticpoint
12-05-09, 8:06 pm
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist. Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done."

I'm getting real sick if hearing that phrase. "It cannot be done"!

I hear it from guys in the gym, I hear it from family, I hear it from friends, I hear it from post after post, comment after comment, and thread after thread online.

"It cannot be done."

People keep telling me that I can't build muscle, I can't get big:
"You are an ectomorph, you'll never be able to build muscle", they say.
"Your genes won't let you", they say.
"no one is this family is ever going to become a bodybuilder", they say
"It's impossible unless you use roids", they say.
"You're never going to get to 250(let alone more than that), not even in a million years" they say
and most infuriating of all they say:
"Give up now, It cannot be done!"

And today I've finally had it, something snapped today, I'm done listening. The time has come to block out that incessant chorus, and prove that "IT CAN BE DONE"!

Just a little background, I was a distance runner, I graduated high school at about 120 lbs. I started weightlifting for the track team, and got hooked. Since then fought for ever pound that I've added. I'm sitting at 200 right now at 5'11, and I'm looking to get to at least 250 eventually, but my most immediate goal is 220.

Attempt at posting 190lbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5mUNLZuA0Y

Showing leg progress 200lbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B0PL_Szoio

Exercises are done in 3 sets of 8 unless otherwise stated.

Dead lifts for the time being are without straps, and most other exercises are done wearing gloves until my grip strength gives out, and then continued without gloves.

BionicMasterPiece
12-05-09, 8:07 pm
Lets get it done!

eutecticpoint
12-05-09, 8:22 pm
All exercises weights are in pounds. If no weights are stated then the exercises was body weight only.

Wow I was expecting my first posted workout to be the first reply post.

Props to BionicMasterPiece, talk about a quickdraw! Thanks for the reply.

M-92.8kg W-204.7lbs
Deads- 4x45+2x25
pullups(wide)
BB row- 2x45+2x10
DB side raises-30
BB skullcrushers-100
standing BB curls-100
BB upright rows- 100
elbow raises- 20
thumbs down front raises-20

Total time=56.27 minutes

To anyone reading this, is 3 sets of 8 reps too much for deadlifts? I've been arguing with myself weather I should decrease the reps, increase the weight, and possibly even start using straps.

Up to now I've let my grip strength limit my deads weight, but I beginning to think it's really starting to hold my progress back way too much to justify.

eutecticpoint
12-07-09, 6:54 pm
M-92.4kg W-203.7lbs
Squat-4x45+2x25
front squat-4x45
ham curls-100/side
abductors-130
adductors-130
calf press-14x45
seated calf-3x45
shin raises
lunges-110
stretch and core
Total time=56.27 minutes

Same old same old. Just something today to get my mind off of the two exams I totally bombed today. Tomorrow should be better.
Weight was down, I haven't been eating like I should with round the clock studying, finals week sucks.

BBWifey
12-07-09, 7:11 pm
I'm subbed for this.... Great life progress so far. I def know that ANYTHING can be done!! I'm proof..

eutecticpoint
12-08-09, 11:32 am
Thanks for the sub!

M-92.6kg W-204.2lbs
incline DB press-50
flat DB press-55
overhead DB press-45
dips
flys-50
french DB press-50
DB bicep curls-50
rear delt flys-130
upright row-110
thumbs down shoulder raises-20
raised elbow shoulder raises-20
cable cross-50/side
forearm curls-60
stretch and core
Total time=55.25 minutes

Shoulder is starting to feel better so I'm slowly moving back up in weight after injuring it last month and finishing off PT recently. I'm looking forward to getting up to some heavy weight with those presses within the next month or two. Otherwise this was a pretty lightweight workout.

eutecticpoint
12-10-09, 7:44 pm
M-93.7kg W-206.7lbs
Deads- 4x45+2x25
pullups(wide)
DB row- 80
DB font raises-30
BB skullcrushers-100
standing BB curls-100
BB upright rows- 110
elbow raises- 20
thumbs down front raises-20
stretch and core
Total time=54.22 minutes

I was given an what I consider to be an excellent suggestion that I should switch from raw double overhand grip to double overhand with straps, so that my grip strength no longer limits the lift.
I forgot to bring my straps for this workout so my deads were limited to the weight I could hold with my normal double overhand grip.
Everything else felt good, I'm really thinking I may be able to move the weights up sooner than I had originally planned.

I regret to inform however that I will be taking a week long road trip with my family across the warmer southern portions of the US, and access to a gym, will be severely limited, and that's if I'm lucky! I may update, I may not. If I don't update, look forward to some serious post rest lifting when I get back!

BionicMasterPiece
12-10-09, 7:45 pm
Thanks for the sub!

M-92.6kg W-204.2lbs
incline DB press-50
flat DB press-55
overhead DB press-45
dips
flys-50
french DB press-50
DB bicep curls-50
rear delt flys-130
upright row-110
thumbs down shoulder raises-20
raised elbow shoulder raises-20
cable cross-50/side
forearm curls-60
stretch and core
Total time=55.25 minutes

Shoulder is starting to feel better so I'm slowly moving back up in weight after injuring it last month and finishing off PT recently. I'm looking forward to getting up to some heavy weight with those presses within the next month or two. Otherwise this was a pretty lightweight workout.

hardcore!

BBWifey
12-10-09, 7:54 pm
can't wait to see what your workout looks like when your fully recovered

eutecticpoint
12-21-09, 4:24 pm
I just got back from my first gym session since the week of hell ended. I'm down about 11 pounds or about 5 kilo, since my last workout, and I'm just really tired of everything right now.

Last week mostly consisted of long periods without food, being lectured about how some things in life are inherently "evil", what amounted to sleep deprivation, and far too much time in various automobiles.

Damn it feels good to get back in the gym! Even if I have no energy, and my strength is shot for the time being, it still felt so right to be in the gym!

My gym activity will be spotty for the next few days due to holidays, but I should be up and running regular by the beginning of next month.

Eat big, lift big, get big

C.Coronato
12-22-09, 11:08 am
Looking good brother. Keep it up my man.

eutecticpoint
12-23-09, 11:22 am
Deadlift is up to 45kg, squat is up to 90kg and bench is up to 75kg, I'm quickly getting back into the swing of things. Nothing too intense yet, the facet joint in my lower back is still sore. But the point is I'm making progress back up.

I listen to Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys when I workout, anyone have any other suggestions for similar music?

intoodeep25
12-23-09, 11:30 am
remember, they only say it cant be done because they dont possess the knowledge, determination and mental toughness to do it. you do bro, now go get it done

eutecticpoint
12-26-09, 11:23 am
I just beat my own ass up at the gym.

As I'm not doing organized workouts till my Physical therapist gives me the green light, I just did whatever exercises I thought of that would not work against the physical therapy.

Never the less, I still beat myself up pretty good, and I'm sore all over.

God this feels good!

My legs are like fucking jelly I hit them so hard. Hamstrings, calves, quads, and glutes. I don't think I've worked them this hard in 2 to 3 weeks, it really makes me want to get back to doing squats again.

And on top of that my shoulders are burning from the "prescribed" PT exercises I've been doing. The weight I'm able to move with my side and rear delts, without pain, has been increasing steady, I'm really looking forward to doing bench presses again soon too!

I'm hoping to have one or two exercise videos up by the end of January, depending on how PT for the back goes, of course. Deadlifts are the exercise I'm missing most right now, ARGHHHHH!

I'm still below 200lbs right now, but I think I'm doing a good job making my way back up the scale, I'm hoping to get back above 200 in or before the first week of the semester.

eutecticpoint
12-28-09, 7:03 pm
FINALLY! All this driving around and sitting around and doing nothing for whatever reason is over!

No more having to visit this person or that person for whatever reason and sit around and listen to them drone on, no more "fun" car trips. The helter skelter holiday season is over!

It's time to get back to the gym, and back to basics: going heavy, going hard, being sore the next morning!

IT CAN BE DONE, AND IT WILL BE DONE! 220, Yeah baby!

PRM
12-28-09, 7:27 pm
Subbed to this.
I don't understand the format of your workouts though.

You listen to Flogging Molly when you train? Awesome, I got their stuff on my ipod too.

eutecticpoint
12-29-09, 12:48 pm
Subbed to this.
I don't understand the format of your workouts though.

You listen to Flogging Molly when you train? Awesome, I got their stuff on my ipod too.

Thanks very much for the subb!

It's a bit long winded to explain, is there something specific you don't understand?

Any other suggestions besides Flogging Molly, I've gone through their entire discography so many times I catch myself singing the songs, I need some new stuff.

It's good to be back on campus and it's really good to be back at the gym busting my ass like it should be busted. Lots of isolation exercises so that I don't irritate my back(I'm really looking forward to getting compounds back into the mix!): quad raises, hamstring raises, calf raises, glute pulls, preacher curls, standing bicep curls, tricep pulldowns, chest t-bar rows, and 3 types of shoulder raises for physical therapy reasons. And of course I spent half an hour making sure everything was stretched out real well after the workout was over

It's not as hardcore as I would like it to have been, but I kept it intense. I'm gonna go stuff my face now, while I'm still sweating from the workout.

Bodyweight is hovering around 200 right now, I recovered pretty quickly from the week of starvation. I think I may scale back my focus on stuffing my face for the next weeks though. My workouts have not been intense enough, due to the lack of compounds, so the demand to feed them as much is also not there. I'm gonna stop watching my weight and just eat well for the next few weeks, while the PT finishes up. I hate getting injured!

IT CAN BE DONE, AND IT WILL BE DONE! GETTING BIGGER, STAYING HEALTHY!

PRM
12-29-09, 1:20 pm
Thanks very much for the subb!

It's a bit long winded to explain, is there something specific you don't understand?

Any other suggestions besides Flogging Molly, I've gone through their entire discography so many times I catch myself singing the songs, I need some new stuff.

Just took another read over it, and just noticed the sets/reps weren't included. Looking good though!

No suggestions that are similar to those Flogging Molly or Dropkick. Flogging Molly is the only of it's kind that I have. The rest is mostly metal, like Lamb of God, JFAC, etc.

eutecticpoint
12-29-09, 3:45 pm
Just took another read over it, and just noticed the sets/reps weren't included. Looking good though!

No suggestions that are similar to those Flogging Molly or Dropkick. Flogging Molly is the only of it's kind that I have. The rest is mostly metal, like Lamb of God, JFAC, etc.

I'm pretty consistent about sets and reps. Up till now all sets are 3 and all reps are 8, it is very rare that I vary that. Mostly because those numbers have always felt right.

I was given some advice right before I threw out my back to try a 5x5 for deadlifts(I never got a chance to try). So I may start adding in numbers for sets and reps if I decide to do that once I get back to doing deadlifts.

Yeah, that's what I like and dislike about Flogging Molly and Dropkick: they are so unique. So much so that there is not much else like them short of going all the way back to "The Dubliners". And The Dubliners are not exactly something to work out to.

eutecticpoint
01-04-10, 1:45 pm
Took a week off to see if it would help. It did. Back pain has decreased significantly. Of course that could be the 8 times a day application of ice to back that's doing that too, not sure.

Either way I'm taking back to the gym tentatively. It was leg day today, along with the PT exercises. Even with light weights it feels good to get back in the gym after a week off.

It's really hard to just stop like that, even with an injury that reminds me why I've stopped going to the gym. It took all the distraction I could muster.

So: feeling better.

PRM
01-04-10, 4:02 pm
Glad to have you back man.

eutecticpoint
01-05-10, 12:02 pm
Thanks! It's good to be back!

In fact I feel so good that I have started adding sups back into my daily routine, although just pre and post workout right now.

Pre-workout: 30g whey concentrate, 30g pure maltodextrin, 7g pure creatine monohydrate in water

Post-workout: 35g whey concentrate, 35g pure maltodextrin, 7g pure creatine monohydrate in water

And because chest day is the one day that I can really work the heavy weight without distributing my back I really pushed myself today, and it felt good. Again I'm still not up to the weight I had been doing so I'm not recording the weight yet. Still I know I'm gonna be feeling this tomorrow, and I look forward to that!

Does anyone have any advice on how to take nitrous oxide(NO) sups? One problem I have is that I never have and empty stomach, because I tend to have both time and stomach issues when I try to eat larger meals(although I did manage 500g of pasta and a pork chop in one sitting yesterday).

Is taking NO supps on a not totally empty stomach acceptable. If I were to take an NO sup with the pre and/or post workout mixes that I have above would that be acceptable? I've heard some good things about vasodilators and I would be interested to try them, but I don't want to waste time or money if they are so delicate they can not come in contact with other food products.

Keep lifting big bros!

PRM
01-05-10, 12:15 pm
I don't have too much info on the NO Eutectic, but I know having an empty stomach, or very close to one helps very much with the absorption of the supplement. Experienced this many times personally.

eutecticpoint
01-05-10, 7:05 pm
I don't have too much info on the NO Eutectic, but I know having an empty stomach, or very close to one helps very much with the absorption of the supplement. Experienced this many times personally.

So should I take it that even taking it with a pre or post workout shake would have the same negative effects, as far as you know?

PRM
01-05-10, 7:37 pm
So should I take it that even taking it with a pre or post workout shake would have the same negative effects, as far as you know?

Not quite sure. (some broscience for you, lol) Since the shakes usually digest fast, whey and carbs like dextrose, wms, it won't affect the NO much, if any.

How I determine my best time for Pre-WO supplements, if with the beta-alanine. In the morning, I'll take a serving upon waking, and judge the tingles. After my meals for pre-wo, however much tingles I get depends on how empty my stomach is. Not sure if your NO has beta-alanine in it though. If you get what I'm saying.

eutecticpoint
01-06-10, 8:51 am
I think I get what you are saying, and I follow your logic, but I have not made any purchases yet, so I'm not entirely sure about your reference to beta-alanine. I'll have to try and get some NO samples to play with before I rush headlong into this. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the assist!

On the workout front: It appears I have suddenly developed entire body DOMS. From the soles of my feet to the top of my head, everything is sore. I guess I've been out of the gym so long even relatively light weights are enough to cause muscle soreness. It's a pain (pun intended) but it's a good sort of pain. It's onward and upward from here!

Oh and today is a rest day on my workout schedule, irrespective of weather or not I have DOMS, lucky me.

PRM
01-06-10, 10:11 am
I think I get what you are saying, and I follow your logic, but I have not made any purchases yet, so I'm not entirely sure about your reference to beta-alanine. I'll have to try and get some NO samples to play with before I rush headlong into this. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the assist!

On the workout front: It appears I have suddenly developed entire body DOMS. From the soles of my feet to the top of my head, everything is sore. I guess I've been out of the gym so long even relatively light weights are enough to cause muscle soreness. It's a pain (pun intended) but it's a good sort of pain. It's onward and upward from here!

Oh and today is a rest day on my workout schedule, irrespective of weather or not I have DOMS, lucky me.

I haven't used a big selection of any NO supplements, so I can't really recommend you any. Sorry bud!

Sucks about the doms, my legs are killing me today!

eutecticpoint
01-07-10, 3:20 pm
Back day again. Upped the weight and the back felt good, so I may up it again next time around. Really got to work the back much harder, and the lats in particular, in the future.

I got some NO supps, and wow, do they upset my stomach, and I don't feel a thing taking them on a totally empty stomach.

eutecticpoint
01-09-10, 3:35 pm
Pretty killer leg workout today, still not back to full weight squats yet, but most everything else is back. My legs are gonna feel like shit tommrow :), the joys of bodybuilding!

According to my calculations my after workout "snack" contains: 1183 total Kcal, 40g fat(from olive oil mostly), 132g carbs(mostly from oats), and 74g protein(from a number of dairy and non dairy sources). It's pretty impressive when it's all added up.

But I'm still hungry! :(

PRM
01-09-10, 5:23 pm
Pretty killer leg workout today, still not back to full weight squats yet, but most everything else is back. My legs are gonna feel like shit tommrow :), the joys of bodybuilding!

According to my calculations my after workout "snack" contains: 1183 total Kcal, 40g fat(from olive oil mostly), 132g carbs(mostly from oats), and 74g protein(from a number of dairy and non dairy sources). It's pretty impressive when it's all added up.

But I'm still hungry! :(

That sounds like a pretty monstrous "snack"!

eutecticpoint
01-09-10, 5:41 pm
That sounds like a pretty monstrous "snack"!

Yeah, but it goes down real quick and easy, just like a snack would. It takes me longer and requires more effort to eat a handful of crackers with water than to down this brew.

PRM
01-09-10, 6:58 pm
Yeah, but it goes down real quick and easy, just like a snack would. It takes me longer and requires more effort to eat a handful of crackers with water than to down this brew.

How does the beast taste?

eutecticpoint
01-10-10, 8:34 am
It tastes really good, mostly because I use molasses, along with brown sugar, so not only does it have some sweet, but it has good flavor too.

eutecticpoint
01-10-10, 3:15 pm
Awww yeah, it's good to be able to finally hit my chest muscles the way they should be hit! Got to 70lbs for flat DB press, and I could have done more(don't want to push my luck)! Even better is I have NO shoulder pain! None! Now I just wait for my back to heal up and I'm back baby! YEAH!

PRM
01-10-10, 4:48 pm
Yes sir! You'll be back 100% in no time.

eutecticpoint
01-12-10, 3:16 pm
Just finished back day at the gym and I'm fuking sore. But the best thing is my back feels great still, and this is the heaviest I've gone in about 2 months! Deadlifts are the shit! Getting big, yeah baby!

eutecticpoint
01-14-10, 2:26 pm
Leg day is finished, and likewise my legs are finished. I really didn't realize how much I missed the intensity of a good heavy lift. Now that I'm back into the heavy weights I'm just a bit in ecstasy!

The only issue this workout was a strange tightness behind my left knee between my hamstring and calf muscles, that kept me from doing many heavy weight sets of hamstring curls. Calf raises however were fine.

Also I just finished off the final serving of my test NO supp, and I have to say overall I was very disappointed. I did not notice a single different between the NO sup and my homemade preworkout shake, and that was on an empty stomach every time. No pump, no additional strength or charge, no sped up recovery, nothing. In this case the NO stands for exactly that: nothing. It may have just been the brand/make of NO I used, but I think I'm going to wait a while before I sample another NO product. My disappointment is still too palpable right now for me to really feel any motivation to do it again.

PRM
01-14-10, 3:46 pm
Leg day is finished, and likewise my legs are finished. I really didn't realize how much I missed the intensity of a good heavy lift. Now that I'm back into the heavy weights I'm just a bit in ecstasy!

The only issue this workout was a strange tightness behind my left knee between my hamstring and calf muscles, that kept me from doing many heavy weight sets of hamstring curls. Calf raises however were fine.

Also I just finished off the final serving of my test NO supp, and I have to say overall I was very disappointed. I did not notice a single different between the NO sup and my homemade preworkout shake, and that was on an empty stomach every time. No pump, no additional strength or charge, no sped up recovery, nothing. In this case the NO stands for exactly that: nothing. It may have just been the brand/make of NO I used, but I think I'm going to wait a while before I sample another NO product. My disappointment is still too palpable right now for me to really feel any motivation to do it again.

How do you do hamstring curls? I prefer to point my toes out. Makes it harder and the weight drops, but I feel it's more beneficial, especially for the seated curls. Could have been that specific NO product, but likewise I can easily get by without them. Honestly would not go out and by one in replace of say, any other type of supplement.

eutecticpoint
01-15-10, 1:34 pm
The ham curl machine at my gym is similar to the normal laying down ones, but this one you have to support your body on your forearms instead of laying totally on your stomach. And also you have to select either the left or the right hamstring, only one leg at a time.

What I'm hoping is it was in fact just that NO product, but I don't have enough money right now to try another.

Chest day was blah. I have a bad habit of rolling over my shoulders when I sleep, so when I woke up this morning, my shoulders were really smarting from the pressure I put on them when I was sleeping. I did get up to 70lbs on flat DB bench though, so that's good. Time to down my 1200cal after-workout shake/meal, and then enjoy my 3 day weekend!

PRM
01-15-10, 3:32 pm
Have a good weekend brother.

eutecticpoint
01-18-10, 2:31 pm
I just totally blasted my back! This shit is great! My arms and forearms are so sore and pumped It's hard to move them! I love back day! Now to study the life and teachings of MLK the rest of the day.

PRM
01-18-10, 7:55 pm
I love a big forearm pump, nice shit!

eutecticpoint
01-18-10, 10:24 pm
Thanks PRM I love the forearm pump too, it's just crazy! I kinda feel like Popeye sometimes

True to my nature as a skeptic and a scientist I have decided to skip all of the name brand NO supps and just go straight for the exact ingredient that is supposed to do the trick: Beta-Alanine.

For 4:99 I'm getting a bottle of 60 1gram tabs of Beta-Alanine. The amount of pure Beta-Alanine contained in each tab is at least 1 gram, no less. Not a proprietary blend, but pure beta-alanine.

Once I get these tabs I'm going to see if I can find some sugar pills that look exactly like them and do a double blind(as close as I can with only one test subject) study to find weather the Beta-Alanine really makes a difference.

The reason I started using Creatine regularly was because I conducted a self study comparing my weightlifting, and muscle building successes over the course of a number of months during which I took pure creatine for the recommended amount of time at the recommend dose, and a placebo powder that looked exactly the same for the same time and I could, without knowing which product I was taking during which time period, tell the difference between the two.

I'm hoping to reproduce the success of that here, along of course with my normal workouts.

If the pure stuff is successful I may try some of the proprietary blends that say they are better. I just can not test a main ingredient when it's gussied up with a whole load of other stuff.

Thus begins my Beta-Alanine study.

PRM
01-18-10, 10:58 pm
^ ^

That is an awesome idea man, very intrigued to see how this goes.

Also, I do believe that L-Arginine is the main ingredient of the Nitric Oxide supplements. L-Arginine makes NO in your body, which increases blood flow, and what not which makes pumps bigger.

Beta-Alanine is a great supplement either way, but I have yet to supplement it as the supplement alone; it's always been a blend.

eutecticpoint
01-19-10, 2:06 pm
Thanks bro! I was just about to waste months trying the wrong product. I've just got my order in for 50 1g tabs of L-Arginine. It should be in by the end of the week. After that I'm thinking I may try a Beta-Alanine study too. Apparently they are synergistic.

Just finished my first true day back at the gym. No more holding things back for the physical therapist! I'm healed, and with a cautious eye towards preventing injury, It's time to bust my ass, stuff my face, and get huge!

PRM
01-19-10, 2:15 pm
Thanks bro! I was just about to waste months trying the wrong product. I've just got my order in for 50 1g tabs of L-Arginine. It should be in by the end of the week. After that I'm thinking I may try a Beta-Alanine study too. Apparently they are synergistic.

Just finished my first true day back at the gym. No more holding things back for the physical therapist! I'm healed, and with a cautious eye towards preventing injury, It's time to bust my ass, stuff my face, and get huge!

No problem bud.

Glad to hear you're back in full swing and tearing shit up!

eutecticpoint
01-19-10, 3:18 pm
tearing shit up!

Oh no! No tearing, I don't want to go back to the Physical Therapist again! (yes Double entendre)

Thanks bro!

eutecticpoint
01-20-10, 1:57 pm
Leg day today. I forgot my gym log, so I don't recall the weights, but the exercises were:

Squats
Front squats
weight loaded hamstring curls
45deg donkey calf raise
machine shin raises
adductor and abductor machines
And of course stretching

I'm walking all weird now because I tired out my legs so much, this is great!

I'll try and remember the log book next time and keep track of things.

Oh Yeah, and back up to 205!

eutecticpoint
01-21-10, 2:08 pm
Mass-93.3 kg

all weights in lbm
Angled DB Presses:
(80)-45
(60)-50
(45)-55
(30)-60
(15)-65
(flat)-70
cable crossovers- 60
barbell pullovers-40
bicep wrist curls-40
time-52min
stretch

Chest day today, I totally reprogrammed my exercise routine, to try and get a larger activation of all the muscles involved. The weights felt good, I did hear some popping when I was at 45 and 30 degrees, but no pain. All in all I feel good about the reorganization. It lets me hit the intended muscle groups a bit harder, but also gives me time to warm the muscles up, so less injuries result. I worked my ass off too so for once I'm looking forward to my rest day!

PRM
01-21-10, 4:19 pm
That angled db pressing is an interesting idea. Glad to see all this is working for you!

eutecticpoint
01-23-10, 5:02 pm
Amazing back day today! Added 10kilo to my old max. The advice I got to switch to using straps was excellent! I'm really feeling a great workout right now! Without my grip limiting my lift I felt muscles work today that I have not felt work in quite a long time!

I also did a bit more random this workout than I normally do. I didn't decide on my next exercise until I finished my current one, so everything was pretty much off the cuff. I may start doing that regularly in the future

M-94.0 kg
Deads-4x45+2x35
pullups(wide)
DB row-75
T-bar row-2x45+25
wide machine rows-135
DB shrugs-75
stretch
Tt-57 mins

I could have gone heavier with the shrugs, but my grip was dead by then and I didn't feel like wasting time getting the straps and everything. It was not worth an extra 5 pounds.

eutecticpoint
01-24-10, 4:02 pm
My first official delt and arm day since I was cleared for heavy lifting, and shit my shoulders and arms are dead! Leg day tomorrow.

As today was the first day of my l-arginine experiment, I'll give some of the procedure. This will be a 3 week study, and each day could be either a placebo or l-arginine. In this case the l-arginine is in 1000mg pills, and the placebo is a 1000g calcium, zinc, magnesium pill (which I have tested before and has no discernible effect on me). The study will last 3 weeks, each day a 1000mg pill will be taken immediately upon waking up, and 45 minutes prior to workout (on an empty stomach). It has been arranged so that the morning and pre workout pill will be of the same type. I list my observations here(even on off days) and at the end of 3 weeks, I determine weather 1000mg before breakfast and 1000mg before workout of l-arginine has any effect on me. (boring)

I didn't notice anything different today, no pumps, no added energy, nothing. At the end of this week I may decide to start pulverizing the pills to try and get a quicker uptake, if I don't notice anything. Also of note, I am currently taking creatine and gluatimine.

WORKOUT:
weight 209
DB front raises thumbs down- 30
bent elbow DB front raises- 25
overhead DB press- 50
preacher curls- 90
delt fly- 130
tricep press-100
upright row- 110
wrist/bicep curls-80
tri pulldowns-110
stretching
Tt-58 mins

For my first official delt and back day ever this was a great workout! I fell like I really blasted all the muscle groups.

PRM
01-24-10, 5:00 pm
Workout must have been fast-paced bro, looking good.

Also, excited to see how this experiment goes along.

Edit: 1g L-Arginine might be a bit low for the dosing, I'm not sure.

I have a pre-wo blend here, that has one 'complex' that is 7grams, with 5 types of arginine in it, along with 3 other ingredients.

eutecticpoint
01-25-10, 5:30 pm
I really don't allow myself true rest periods if I can help it. Typically what I do is if I have tow exercises that involved different muscles or muscle groups I do those exercises at the same time. Like I do one set of bicep curls, then one set of delt flys, then back again so the muscle itself has time to rest but the action is constant.

What I planning for the dose is if I don't notice any effects I'm going to double the current dose (4mg total) and if I still don't get anything after the second week, I'll add whatever remains on the original L-arginene bottle and distribute among the remaining days. If that does not work, (that makes about 8g by week 3) then I'm going to conclude that either the stuff does not work, or that if it does work the dose is prohibitively high, in my case. I would rather not have to buy an entire jar of the stuff every two weeks, that can get expensive, and as it is I'm living on a shoestring budget.

Hot damn on a cracker, leg day today was intense! Pr's on everything but the hamstring curls! Next time around it's lunges.

Squats-4x45+2x35
Front squats-4x45
weight loaded hamstring curls-70
45deg donkey calf raise-2x100+6x45
machine shin raises-20
adductor and abductor machines-130
And of course stretching

An excellent workout. My glutes are already burning, I'm gonna be feeling this tomorrow. I am pretty well sure that I'm going to replace the squats and front squats with lunges next week, because I think my legs are gonna need longer than normal to recover after this workout. Plus lunges always take too long to do them and squats in the same workout.

PRM
01-25-10, 5:46 pm
Damn bro, that is a nice workout! I agree with what you said about your experiment though, makes sense.

eutecticpoint
01-26-10, 2:43 pm
Yeah, I'm kinda double teaming it as both an effectiveness study and a dosing study. Not entirely the best scientific method in the world, but unless someone wants to award me a research grant, that's how it's gonna be.

Wicked ass chest workout today! I'm really getting up into the weights where I'm beginning to feel my chest work the weights, not just going through the motions anymore!

all weights in lbm
weight-211

Angled DB Presses:
(80)-50
(60)-55
(45)-60
(15)-70
(flat)-75
cable crossovers- 60
barbell pullovers-40
time-55min
stretch

I took out the 30 degree presses and next week I may remove the 60 degree presses, because it seems like I'm just overdoing it with the more high angle presses. By the time I finished the barbell pullovers my biceps were feeling really funny, I think they are still sore from my heavy delt/bicep/tricep day. I'm definitely taking it easy in the next workout cycle, I haven't been able to push myself this hard in a long time. It feels good, but I better not overdo it and cause another injury.

report: no observation of pump, or any positive or negative effects of the L-arginene

eutecticpoint
01-27-10, 3:57 pm
On my gym break day, I prepared: 7 dozen eggs, 15 pounds of pasts(after cooking) (spaghetti, and linguine), 15 pounds of meat(before cooking, chicken, pork, and beef), and a quart of an olive oil based sauce, of my own creation. What a gym break day!

took a l-arginene on an empty stomach, felt nothing.

eutecticpoint
01-28-10, 1:33 pm
A lighter back day today, really starting to feel it more in the middle and lower back, not just the lats, but the whole back. Its a good feeling.

M-95.7 kg
Deads-4x45
pullups(wide)
lat pulldown-175
seated rows-125
BB bent rows-135
upright rows-110
DB shrugs-80
stretch
Tt-55 mins

took two l-arginine today: no noticeable effect

eutecticpoint
01-29-10, 2:20 pm
Nothing special to report

WORKOUT:
weight 210
DB front raises thumbs down- 30
bent elbow DB front raises- 25
overhead DB press- 50
DB side raise- 30
tricep cable press- 90
BB front raise- 50
conc. curls- 45
behind head press-55
reverse curl-80
stretching
Tt-58 mins

l-arginine study: no discernible effect of 2 grams of l-arginine

PRM
01-29-10, 3:49 pm
Nice workouts lately bro! Keep on truckin'

eutecticpoint
01-31-10, 3:22 pm
I was planning to do lunges before I left for the gym, but by the time I got there I was hell bent on squats. Funny how things like that happen.

Weight-211

Squats-4x45
Front squats-2x45+2x35
plate loaded hamstring curls-90
machine shin raises-20
stretching
Tt-55 minutes

I decreased the weight from last cycle, I will likely increase it back next cycle.

No discernible effects of L-arginine at 2g

eutecticpoint
01-31-10, 3:31 pm
Another gym chest day come and gone, and another day without injury! :) And I hit 96kg bodymass so things are looking up.

weight-211

Angled DB Presses:
(80)-55
(45)-65
(15)-75
(flat)-80
DB flys-40
cable crossovers- 60
DB flys- 40
reverse BB curls- 80
time-59min
stretch

I think I may keep the angled weights next time around, but increase the flat bench, because I felt like even going from just 15 degrees to flat I could press significantly more.

No discernible effects of L-arginine at 4g

eutecticpoint
02-01-10, 3:51 pm
Rest day:

Watched dogma all the way through for the first time.

Did my normal PT exercises

No noticeable effect of 6g of L-arginine on empty stomach

PRM
02-01-10, 5:35 pm
Nice workouts lately bro.

No results on the experiments either eh, hrmmm.

eutecticpoint
02-01-10, 6:39 pm
Thanks!
Not a single positive result from the arginine. At this point it is really becoming clear that either the stuff does not work, or there is some variable I'm not accounting for. I'm planning to get a pill crusher tomorrow and see if powdering the pills will help to make things more noticeable. It may just be like creatine, some react to it some don't.

eutecticpoint
02-02-10, 1:10 pm
weight-214

5x5 Deads w/ straps-6x45(that's 315 pounds total, for those keeping score)
chinups(wide)
straight arm lat pulldown-62
seated rows-150
upright rows-135
DB shrugs-90
t-bar rows-3x45
stretch
Tt-59 minutes

Those are the heaviest deads I have ever done! It's amazing just how limiting my grip strength was to my deadlift weight. It is clear to me today that I was a fool for insisting on not using straps, I held back much of my back development, for the sake of my grip.

Not only was today the heaviest deads I've ever done, but I feel like in two weeks(after I do a lighter weight exercise cycle/rest and repair) I can go even heavier than that. These deads were not easy by any means, however they were not nearly as difficult as I was thinking they would have been, I'm thinking 6x45+2x10 the next time I do heavy deads.

On the experiment front: Nothing to report on a slightly empty stomach at 4g of powdered arginine.

PRM
02-03-10, 8:39 am
Maybe there is another supplement, that could increase the effects of arginine when taken together. Not sure, but it may be worth a 'google' bro.

Nice deadlifts sir. I agree with the straps, no point in sacrificing extra poundages and back development. I am also a frequent strap user. When there is a doubt in my mind if my grip can hold up, out come the straps!

eutecticpoint
02-03-10, 3:43 pm
The two compounds most commonly combined with L-arginine are beta-alanine and b-vitamin complexes. I don't know about beta-alanine yet, but I know that my reaction to b-vitamins is similar(somewhat) to what they say L-arginine should be with added energy, although no pump.

I know the fundamental principals behind L-arginine supplementation are sound because if they weren't the practice of consuming nitroglycerin pills would have gone out of style a long time ago. I think I may need to do a little research and see what kinds of doses of nitroglycerin produce therapeutic effects and see what that would be equivalent to in L-arginine.

Intense delt and arm day. combining today and yesterday, I'm cooked!

WORKOUT:
weight 213
Lateral DB raises-35
DB front raises-35
bent elbow front raises-25
thumbs down front raises 30
preacher curls-90
skull crushers-100
tri-kickbacks-25
hammer curls-50
DB overhead press-50
Tt-54 minutes

This workout is a bit of a lie. I did in fact take about half an hour to test myself and see how much weight I could do on each exercise(many of these I've never done before, or it's been a real long time since I've done them), but I only did 2 or 3 sets each to figure out how much I should do on the working sets, nothing too bad. The kick backs were the only exercise I was really uncertain about the weight for, it just felt weird to go any heavier(weird like; somethings-gonna-give weird).

experiment: Nothing to report on an empty stomach at 4g of powdered arginine.

eutecticpoint
02-04-10, 11:46 am
I'm enforcing an unplanned off day today. I know it should be leg day, but combining the soreness from yesterday and from two days ago I'm reading my body as saying a break day is in order, so sleeping in and letting the soreness abate a bit is the plan of the day.

experiment: Nothing to report on an empty stomach at 4g of powdered arginine.

eutecticpoint
02-06-10, 3:49 pm
I had forgot just how much more concentration and balance lunges take than squats. I was wobbling all over the place during my leg workout today! hahaha I need to do those more often!

Ate some bad meat two days ago, and I had the screaming shits all day yesterday, so I decided it best to skip yesterday and pick back up today.

Weight 212

DB lunges-60
quad raises-100/side
good mornings-110
machine shin raises-30
stretching

Tt-46 minutes

experiment: Something interesting happened today. I decided to mix up the arginine with a half a bottle of pinkish colored vitamin water(fruit punch: because arginine tastes horrible, like rotten fish) and the pink turned purple, an odd reaction. Other than that I noticed no effects of 8g of L-arginine on my workout, I'm really becoming disillusioned of NO products at this point. If pure L-arginine on an empty stomach provides no noticeable boost to me then how is it that it can when it has been diluted by other ingredients such as maltodextrin? Also, I'm cutting the experiment short, and changing out all of the placebo for increasing doses of L-arginine, I figure I might as well finish the stuff off and see if there is any dose(however high) that is effective. At this point I'm pessimistic.

I tried to figure out how much NO the standard dose of Nitroglycerin (C3H5N3O9) provides, but I just don't have enough information to make an intelligent estimation.

eutecticpoint
02-07-10, 2:51 pm
Another excellent chest day. I wasted a bit of time trying to get the hang of the decline bench, and the positioning is so precarious that I could only do 45lbs, but overall it was a good workout.

Angled DB Presses:
(80)-55
(45)-65
(flat)-80
(-15)-65
(-30)-45
cable crossovers- 60
pec dec-150
BB pullovers- 40
time-47min
stretch

Also: No noticeable effects from 8g of ground L-arginine on an empty stomach.

eutecticpoint
02-11-10, 9:43 am
The results of the experiment are pretty clear, even at 12g of just L-arginine, I observed no effect. The last of the arginine is gone, and I'm not going to buy any more.

Conclusion: L-arginine supplementation, for whatever reason, does not work for me.

eutecticpoint
02-13-10, 10:51 am
Been sick for a week, I'll update as soon as I stop puking, sneezing, and feeling like shit.

PRM
02-13-10, 5:22 pm
Damn bro, feel better soon. YOU GOT THE SWINE!?!? haha

eutecticpoint
02-16-10, 11:57 pm
Nah, it's not the flu, it's just a normal cold, but it's being amplified and made worse by the weather.

I figured I'd post this up here. I dislike typical cardio (I hate treadmills with a passion), so this is some of my non-gym cardio training. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHarj_mVsXA

Right now It's looking like another week till I'm back up to snuff, so I'll update then.

PRM
02-18-10, 10:40 am
I'm sure you could beat me to a pulp with that stick bro. Nice stuff!

eutecticpoint
02-18-10, 1:24 pm
Squats-4x45+2x35
Front squats-4x45
good-mornings-65
45deg donkey calf raise-2x100+8x45
machine shin raises-30
adductor and abductor machines-140
stretching & abs
Tt-59 minutes

Still feeling under the weather. I keep feeling like I'm gonna vom a few times a day. Despite that I felt well enough to bust my ass on leg day today.

I mixed up good-mornings, and stiff legged deadlifts, so I wasted about 5 minutes doing 2 sets of stiff legs before I realized that in order to do good mornings you have to place the weight on your back like you would in a squat, not hanging from your shoulders, duh. I may try more weight for good mornings later, but as this was my first time, I went a bit light.

Also, I had to jimmy rig the donkey calf raise machine to get the additional 2 45lb weights on, it looked kinda silly.

This was really a workout that should have been recorded, it totally rocked! I was not expecting to kick so much ass until I finished my first warmup set of squats and decided to fuck the cold and go for the heavy weights, I'm sore, but happy!

eutecticpoint
02-19-10, 2:25 pm
Fuck! That was a great chest workout!

Angled DB Presses:
(45)-70
(15)-75
(flat)-80
(45) flys-30
pecdec- 150
cable crossovers- 60
BB pullovers- 40
time-53min
stretch & abs

PRM
02-19-10, 2:53 pm
Nice work outs bro. Awesome that you stuck to your guns through leg day. That's how shit gets done!

eutecticpoint
02-20-10, 9:15 pm
Thanks bro! It's always great to have people comment on my journey!

HIIT beat the shit out of me tonight. I did one session in the morning, on in the afternoon, and one just now in the evening. Dead tired, I'm gonna sleep like a log.

Deadlifts and backwork tomorrow, it's going to be a fucking hardcore workout, guaranteed, time to work off some big frustrations. Stay tuned for the video (if I can sneak it through).

eutecticpoint
02-21-10, 5:47 pm
4x5 Deads w/ straps-6x45(that's 315 pounds total, for those keeping score)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suGhQGs5nc0

1x5 Deads w/ straps-6x45+2x10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZnrDORhLVY

T-bar rows-3x45
chinups(wide)
BB shrugs-90
lat pulldown-187
reverse flys-150
cable face pulls-160
stretch & abs
Tt-58 minutes

This was my first time ever doing "face pulls" and wow are they hard! It's really difficult to maintain balance while pulling 160lbs towards your face without any support. I don't think I really got anything from them though, so I don't think I'm gonna do them again, I wanted to do more weight, but I couldn't keep balance.
On the other hand BB shrugs are way better than DB shrugs. I felt like they worked the traps much better overall than when I was doing DB shrugs.

PRM
02-22-10, 10:13 am
Internet is too slow to check the vids, but sick bro!

For the face pulls, have you tried on the seated rowing machine? It's what I've done them on. Works great whether doing them for rear delts or middle traps.

eutecticpoint
02-22-10, 2:06 pm
I guess I'll try them that way before giving up on them entirely, thanks!

Great hardcore workout for delts and arms today, everything from my neck to my fingertips is sore! Really feeling all of the movements now, and I'm looking forward to leg day tomorrow!
Lateral DB raises-35
DB front raises-35
bent elbow front raises-25
preacher curls-85
skull crushers-100
tri-kickbacks-35
hammer curls-45
seated front press-2x45
Tt-53 minutes

I was originally planning to do DB overhead press and thumbs down front raises. But neither of those seem to work without some pain, so I opted for other exercises that seem to work better.

eutecticpoint
02-23-10, 11:06 am
Currently My thighs, measured cold and un-flexed, at the hip are about 28-29 inches in circumference, measured at mid-leg they are 26-27 inches (that's an increase of 3 and 2 inches respectively since September). My waist however is only 33 inches. Long story short, I'm going to start replacing every other leg day with a running day, starting today.

I hate to do this, but I really have to focus on bringing my back, arms, and shoulders (in both strength and size) up to par with the chest and legs, and I also have to start thinking about my training for the 10k "Race for the Cure" coming up sometime in April or May. At this point I don't have enough endurance training to even run a 5k, let alone a 10k, in any respectable time.

SO: Endurance/Race training starts today, replacing rest days, and every other leg day.

PRM
02-24-10, 10:50 am
Damn those are some big wheels bro. Awesome work out on delts and arms as well.

eutecticpoint
03-05-10, 8:48 pm
I met some of the Animal Pak guys at the Arnold Fitness Expo!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13022&id=100000462082945&ref=mf

And did a rock workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyiu2Q-obQo

PRM
03-06-10, 8:42 am
Holy crap The House's tris look huge!

Hope you're havin a good time. I wasn't able to get to the expo :(

eutecticpoint
03-08-10, 6:57 pm
Busy last week busy next two weeks, so I'm just gonna post up my ABC workout and go back to studying for finals.

Lateral DB raises-35
DB front raises-35
BB overhead press-2x45+2x10
preacher curls-85
skull crushers-100
tri-kickbacks-35
hammer curls-45
BB curl-100

The ABC was absolutely amazing! I should have taken more photos, but I arrived late and wanted to finish my workout before the food came (fail). That was the most amazing atmosphere to work out in. Real, dedicated, animal, nothing like it.

And overall I was a bit disappointed with the expo, it just seemed to me like the atmosphere was not quite as there as it has been in years past. It was still an amazing, and productive event, but something was missing?

PRM
03-08-10, 9:40 pm
Nice work bro, I've yet to experience an ABC event, but I will some day.

eutecticpoint
03-28-10, 11:46 am
Yeah, the ABC was awesome. There are other ABCs all over the place Check the complete list here http://forum.animalpak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Other than that, most of my workouts since the last update have been good. Just to qualify that statement though, I think the delt and arm days may have a bit too good. I've developed bicep tendonitis in my right arm, so no more delt/arm days for at least another month.
Without delt work I can't push myself too hard at chest day(without serious injury risk), and without bicep work I can't push myself during back day(even doing medium weight pull downs kinda hurts, let alone pullups), so nothing much is going to happen until I heal up.

eutecticpoint
04-13-10, 3:43 pm
My final opinion of Animal PM:
If you eat any sort of meal before bed: don't bother it will be just about worthless.
If you go to bed on am empty stomach: this stuff may work for you.
When I took it on an empty stomach it was noticeably easier waking up the next morning, and I felt much less groggy when I did wake up. But if I had even a tablespoon of peanut butter less than one hour before taking the pills I got nothing from the PM.

Other than that, I'm still recovering from the tendonitis, I have about one more week of no bicep work, and then the week after I start with light weights and therapy. I should be in good shape just in time for the central Ohio ABC! I'm looking forward to this one just as much as I was the National!
Eat big, lift big, (recover big), get big!

eutecticpoint
04-23-10, 3:51 pm
Just received my 80g container of DAA. I have to say the flavor reminds me strongly of L-ascorbic acid. Tomorrow is the ABC, and with all the supps I just got I'm hoping to have a real good nights sleep!

eutecticpoint
04-24-10, 10:13 pm
ABC was great! Up to 315 on squats 3sets 8 reps as always. I got schooled in how to do good mornings, and ended up blowing chunks. Otherwise it was a great workout! Going to Mongos after really was the perfect thing!

Survivor831
04-24-10, 10:15 pm
ABC was great! Up to 315 on squats 3sets 8 reps as always. I got schooled in how to do good mornings, and ended up blowing chunks. Otherwise it was a great workout! Going to Mongos after really was the perfect thing!

Classic

ghost
04-24-10, 10:24 pm
such hilarity.

eutecticpoint
04-25-10, 10:35 am
Such hilarity, in fact, that I'm finding it hard to stand up, or bend over today. My hamstrings, quads, and lower back are super sore.

Thanks again!

The squat vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g-w_9tbzYc

and the pics:
(MINE)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=17289&id=100000462082945

(NOT MINE)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2064395&id=1246545355
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=64380&id=1208200600

eutecticpoint
06-04-10, 10:44 pm
Haven't updated for a while, haven't even logged in in a while. I just though I would stop by and post something that has started eating at me recently.

I find it odd that the guys I used to find inspirational are no longer inspirational. I used to be intimidated by the big guys in the gym, and that drove me to get bigger, and better, but now I am finding that when I go into the gym, I AM "the big guy"! It's a strange feeling. I guess it's like they say: motion, or in this case progress, necessarily involves a change in perspective.

eutecticpoint
07-21-10, 10:32 am
I really hate injuries! Without provocation my right shoulder started hurting real bad about 3 weeks ago, and it has been really slow to fix. Before that I injured a bicep tendon (again on the right side) so I was out 5 weeks for that. The only workouts I have been able to do with any intensity have been leg workouts.

Really really hate injuries!

ghost
07-21-10, 10:38 am
hope the shoulder heals up soon man.

eutecticpoint
07-21-10, 3:52 pm
Thanks man. I'm hoping to be back at it in about a month.

eutecticpoint
08-21-10, 9:05 am
Can't do back, can't do chest, and now I can't even do heavy leg exercises, so what's left? HIIT! Yay! Once in the morning and once in the evening, 5 days in a row 2 days off, and repeat.

Down to 195lbs from 235 a few months ago, and getting some pretty good definition in my legs, and I think my shoulder, my bicep/tendon, and the tendons of my IT-band are all healing faster too.

I have dedicated myself to not stepping into the gym until November or later, Twice I have thought that things were healed, and twice they have come right back(both shoulder and bicep). This time I am making for damn sure that everything is COMPLETELY healed and not going to re-injure after only one or two lightweight workouts.