PDA

View Full Version : 5:45am... Why Am I Here?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:26 am
Hey Fellas,

New nickname, new journey.

I've been posting my workouts here for a few months under then name "UserRamma" and I decided that it was time to change it up. UserRamma was a name I came up with a few years ago when I was forced to choose a user name for different websites, and it kindof stuck with me. It was supposed to be a bit of a joke/ironic type user name, but now (a few years later) it just seemed stupid. So, I had J-Dawg change it to Rasto. (thanks again J-Dawg!) Rasto is actually the first part of my last name, and a few of my buds at work use it, so it feels a lot more natural.

Anyways, on to why I'm here:

My goal for this journey is simple - Get Strong.

Achieving that goal is going to take a lot of dedication & hard work and I recognize that. The title of this journey is a play on the Animal poster "4:27am... Why Am I Here?" that hangs in my basement gym. So many people question why I get up at 5:45 to workout pretty much every day. Why? I do it to get stronger, and I do it because so many others won't do it.

I started using the 5/3/1 template last week, so I'll be posting those workouts first.

If you have any comments on my workouts, or suggestions, etc. please feel free to leave them here, I'm happy to learn from anyone!

Rasto

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:28 am
Warm-up - Foam rolling, mobility work.

It's been a long time since I've done any squat work. For some reason, in the days following any squat work, my hips lock up with causes me lower back issues. I'm going to try doing squats again, and really push foam rolling & mobility work to see what happens.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 5 x 165
5 x 10 x 95

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

ghost
12-08-09, 8:28 am
subbed. looking forward to your experience with the 5/3/1, such a great routine and so simple.

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:30 am

I only used a 60lb DB for the Kroc rows; I tweaked my back a month ago deadlifting and the last time I did rows, I re-tweaked it. (I let my ego take over) Over the next few weeks, I'm going to re-ramp my rows up to the 110's I was using.

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 175
1 x 5 x 195
1 x 5 x 200
5 x 10 x 120

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 10 x 60

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:31 am
subbed. looking forward to your experience with the 5/3/1, such a great routine and so simple.

Thanks, glad to have you along dude!

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:33 am

I love (and hate) my conditioning & cardio Wednesdays. I have a home-made sled that I push/pull in my basement for GPP. It's way easier on my body than the normal treadmill work I used to do, however, it usually leaves me on the ground in the fetal position between sets!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 5 x 100
Fastest time today: 00:59:81

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds @ 2 minutes.

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:35 am

So, this is my first time deadlifting in about a month since I tweaked my back. I took it very, very easy on the deadlifts, and it actually felt really good. I do notice that my hips are locking up slightly from the squats...not sure what to do about that yet. (More stretching?)

Deadlift
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 190
1 x 5 x 205
1 x 5 x 215
5 x 8 x 125

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 10 x 180

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:37 am

I've never really focused on getting my MP numbers up, but I'm looking forward to doing it as part of 5/3/1.

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 105 x 5
1 x 110 x 5
1 x 120 x 5
5 x 70 x 10

Close Grip Chins
1 x 10 x 180
1 x 8 x 180
1 x 6 x 180
1 x 6 x 180
1 x 5 x 180
1 x 5 x 180

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:39 am

Alright...second week of squats...I'm hoping that my hips stop locking up, but I really need to figure out what it is about squatting that causes them to lock up in the days following the workout. There's no issues on the day's I squat, but in the days after the workout, I notice my (usually) right hip locks up, and I have some lower back pain. I'm going to keep with the foam rolling, etc. and stretching in hopes that it gets better.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 3 x 155
1 x 3 x 165
1 x 3 x 170
5 x 10 x 95

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

Rasto
12-08-09, 8:40 am

(and yeah, I really like the simplicity of the 5/3/1 template)

ghost
12-08-09, 8:46 am
glad to see you are getting back to deads... they are KEY to a huge back.

Rasto
12-08-09, 9:27 am

While I do love the bench press...I've never been strong at it, and it's a constant struggle, but I am improving. (It's a self-confidence thing, when I first started working out with my buddies in high school, they had already been working for a few years, and had me using/failing the same weights they were using...much to their amusement) Now that I've found better technique and some confidence, my bench is doing a lot better.

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 3 x 190
1 x 3 x 200
1 x 3 x 215
5 x 10 x 120

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 10 x 80

Rasto
12-08-09, 9:28 am
glad to see you are getting back to deads... they are KEY to a huge back.

I hear ya rcrott1! I absolutely LOVE deads...There's something about lifting a heavy weight off the ground that I find fascinating. I think it's because you can either lift the weight, or you can't...there's really no cheating!

Bullfrog JJR
12-08-09, 1:30 pm
looking good, bro. I'm right there with you in that the bench is my toughest lift. I just started my first cycle on the 5/3/1 program yesterday and so far, so good.

Keep up the hard work!

Rasto
12-09-09, 8:08 am
looking good, bro. I'm right there with you in that the bench is my toughest lift. I just started my first cycle on the 5/3/1 program yesterday and so far, so good.

Keep up the hard work!

Awesome! I'm gonna head over to your journey and get subbed - I'm sure I can learn something from ya!

Rasto
12-09-09, 9:27 am

The other day I read something about not overloading your sled and turning a conditioning workout into a strength workout. Using this reasoning I dropped the weight in my homemade sled from 100 pounds to 80 pounds and added an extra 'rep' to the push/pull medley. (This means I 'pulled' the sled for approx. 20 yards, then 'pushed' the sled back to starting position for 6 reps for time. I repeated this 6 times.

It worked out pretty good...Didn't feel it in my legs as much, but really felt it in my lungs! ;-)

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds @ 2mins

Bullfrog JJR
12-09-09, 9:38 am
subbed...

Rasto
12-10-09, 9:25 am

Ahhhhhhh...Deadlift day has come and gone...All in all, I would consider today a HUGE success. You'll notice that I didn't hit my prescribed 3/3/3 today. I re-adjusted Wave 1's deadlift max to my current max of 375, and after giving blood last night, 320 x 2 just took too much out of me. (I should have done 300/320/340 x 3 for today's workout)

But, I'm still really happy with today's workout! My back seems to be pretty much healed up from the "strain" that occurred a month ago. I'll know later today/tomorrow morning whether I actually over-did training today.

:-)

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 3 x 225
1 x 3 x 255
1 x 3 x 275
1 x 3 x 300
1 x 2 x 320
1 x 0 x 340
5 x 8 x 190
Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 10 x 180

ghost
12-10-09, 9:48 am
great job on deads rasto. keep at em man.

Rasto
12-11-09, 8:10 am
great job on deads rasto. keep at em man.

Thanks man! I'm actually quite stiff in the upper back today from those deads...(Stiff in a good way, it's been a good month since I hit over 300 for deads)

machineman
12-11-09, 9:03 am
subbed for this Rasto....keep up the good work, bro.....

Rasto
12-11-09, 9:09 am
subbed for this Rasto....keep up the good work, bro.....

Thanks dude, glad to have you here!

Rasto
12-11-09, 9:12 am

Alright, Friday is upon us...One more workout till the weekend, so I made it count.

The plan was 110/120/125 for 3 reps a piece, but after reading Bullfrog JJR's talk about forgetting the "extra" reps on that last set, I decided to try going for it, and ended up with an extra rep. Probably could've hit one or two more, but that would've been with leg drive, and I didn't want to cheat on these ones...(not yet anyways)

I got my 40 chins in 5 sets this week...that's one less set than last week for those of you keeping track at home! ;-)

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 3 x 110
1 x 3 x 120
1 x 4 x 125
5 x 10 x 70

Close Grip Chins
1 x 10 x 180
1 x 10 x 180
1 x 8 x 180
1 x 6 x 180
1 x 6 x 180

Have a great weekend brothers!

Rasto

machineman
12-11-09, 9:16 am
solid work, Rasto......I have the same problem with chins.....I suck at em, but we gotta do em.....nice job!

Bullfrog JJR
12-11-09, 6:12 pm
looking strong, man.

do you wear a belt?

Rasto
12-14-09, 8:08 am
solid work, Rasto......I have the same problem with chins.....I suck at em, but we gotta do em.....nice job!

I agree dude...just keep doing them till they're our strong points eh?

Rasto
12-14-09, 8:13 am
looking strong, man.

do you wear a belt?

Thanks dude! As to the belt; no...I don't wear one right now...It's something I've always waffled with, and really can't make up my mind on whether I should or shouldn't. On one hand, I figure that my core should be strong enough that I don't really need the belt, and on the other hand, I figure that I could use the extra support to "push against" while lifting those 90%+ weights. (it's kindof like the debate as to whether or not to use straps...some weeks I'll use straps so that I can really focus on the actual exercise, and other weeks, I feel like getting my grip stronger is the priority)

Do you wear one?

sunny_max
12-14-09, 8:33 am
looking good in here man...consider me in.....

Rasto
12-14-09, 9:13 am
looking good in here man...consider me in.....

Sweet man! Always good to have another brother watchin' over ya!

Rasto
12-14-09, 9:18 am

Week 3 of the 5/3/1 template involves doing a single (hence the 5/3/1 name) and today was my day. The plan was to do 180x1, but I was feeling really good this morning, and threw on the 185...ended up with 3 reps. I'm pumped about that, because it means I'm back on track with squats. (I haven't been squatting in the past 8 months or so because of some hip mobility issues...my real max is around 250, so I should've been doing around 240x1)

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 3 x 165
1 x 3 x 185
5 x 10 x 95

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

Good way to start the week!

Bullfrog JJR
12-14-09, 10:09 am
Thanks dude! As to the belt; no...I don't wear one right now...It's something I've always waffled with, and really can't make up my mind on whether I should or shouldn't. On one hand, I figure that my core should be strong enough that I don't really need the belt, and on the other hand, I figure that I could use the extra support to "push against" while lifting those 90%+ weights. (it's kindof like the debate as to whether or not to use straps...some weeks I'll use straps so that I can really focus on the actual exercise, and other weeks, I feel like getting my grip stronger is the priority)

Do you wear one?

yes, for my work and assistance sets, especially on squats and deads. I started incorporating it a few weeks ago and have had ZERO back problems since. My deads are pretty heavy, so it's been nice being able to move the next day.

The other reason I use it, particularly with some of the weights being kind of light in this program, is to practice with it so I am using it correctly on the really heavy stuff. I was kind of laughing at myself last week when I was weraing my Animal shirt and my belt while doing sets of 80 lbs. on the bench...

With regard to straps, I never use them, and that's for two reasons: one, I prefer chalk (it's kind of a mental thing too), and two, I can never figure out how to use the fucking things right. My gym doesn't exactly allow chalk, so I have a pocket in my bag for it and I just keep my hands in the pocket while I chalk up so they don't give me any crap.

Rasto
12-14-09, 7:30 pm
yes, for my work and assistance sets, especially on squats and deads. I started incorporating it a few weeks ago and have had ZERO back problems since. My deads are pretty heavy, so it's been nice being able to move the next day.

The other reason I use it, particularly with some of the weights being kind of light in this program, is to practice with it so I am using it correctly on the really heavy stuff. I was kind of laughing at myself last week when I was weraing my Animal shirt and my belt while doing sets of 80 lbs. on the bench...

With regard to straps, I never use them, and that's for two reasons: one, I prefer chalk (it's kind of a mental thing too), and two, I can never figure out how to use the fucking things right. My gym doesn't exactly allow chalk, so I have a pocket in my bag for it and I just keep my hands in the pocket while I chalk up so they don't give me any crap.

Nice! My gym (which is in my basement) doesn't have a chalk policy...LOL...so yeah, I love use chalk. The straps come in handy for the 110 DB rows....I don't have the grip strength (yet) to hold those suckers for 10 reps, so it helps to have the straps.

I might have to re-think the belt thing...I do have an old leather-style belt that I bought years and years and years ago (cause I was new to lifting, and thought it was required) so I might try that. I think it's a good idea to use the belt (temporarily) in your warm-up sets to get used to the feel, and I have to admit, I did laugh when I pictured someone with an Animal shirt/belt benching 80!

(And really , who cares what others think anyways? That's why we're here, right?)

Rasto
12-15-09, 9:31 am

It's hard to believe I'm already at week 3 of the first wave of 5/3/1. I guess the different rep scheme's for each week has been keeping me on my toes, and I didn't even realize that next week is already a de-loading week.

For Bench, I was hoping to get 2/3 reps at 225 (my current 3RM is 225) but between waking up with a splitting headache, and a pain in my upper back (like the type of pain where you need to see the chiropractor and get "cracked" to get the joints moving again) I was happy to get 225.

As to the Kroc rows...I gotta say, without straps, I wouldn't be able to hit the 110's. Last week I kept the weights at 80 lbs and was able to handle 5x10 without straps, but since I ran out of chalk this week, I decided that I might as well use straps, and load up the dumb bells. I was seeing stars after the first couple of sets, so I know I was working hard!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 5 x 175
1 x 3 x 200
1 x 1 x 225
5 x 10 x 120

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 10 x 100

Neck Raises
3 x 10 x 10

Bullfrog JJR
12-15-09, 9:59 am
way to push through it, dude. those are the reps of progress.

sunny_max
12-16-09, 12:45 am
5/3/1 is a great program when followed properly......looks like your doing good keeping at it.....i hear ya on that back pain brother.......solid work on the chest to push 225....keep at it man you got this......

Rasto
12-16-09, 9:38 am
way to push through it, dude. those are the reps of progress.

Thanks dude...sometimes you gotta be reminded that it's all about the progress...kind of like the quote about it being about the journey, not the destination

Rasto
12-16-09, 9:39 am
5/3/1 is a great program when followed properly......looks like your doing good keeping at it.....i hear ya on that back pain brother.......solid work on the chest to push 225....keep at it man you got this......

Thanks for the encouragement brother! You got back issues too?

Rasto
12-16-09, 9:42 am
Alright...well today's workout was tough...Stayed up late last night doing some application development (to help out a fellow co-worker & friend) so I was pretty tired this morning. Seemed like it was going to be easier to surf the net than to actually workout. Luckily, my head told me to "suck it the fuck up" and I started my workout.

Push/Pull Medley (for time)
6 x 6 x 80

Heavy Bag
5 rounds @ 2 minutes each

I was able to shave about 2 seconds off my best time on the push/pull medley, so that's pretty awesome, although my lungs are still burning as I type this!

(A good burn of course)

sunny_max
12-16-09, 11:16 pm
sweet ...i love heavybag training......i do it 3 times a week myself....its freaking awesome!!!

i dont have back troubles per say lol......but i always tweak something in it all the time....i guess cause i push my back to its olimits everytime...even when i am cutting haha....but i always come back stronger.....so i guess its used to getting a beating from me lol.....

Rasto
12-17-09, 9:18 am

What a great workout! I gotta give props to Bullfrog JJR...He asked me earlier this week if I wear a belt, and I replied that (although I have an old "leather" belt sitting in my weight room) I don't currently wear one. I've thought about it, but everytime I go to put it on, I convince myself that I don't really need it, since I'm not really using heavy weights. Well, today I decided that any deadlifting above 300 was going to be done with a belt. Gotta say, I don't know if I could've done the prescribed reps without the belt! Wow...what a difference. As soon as I pushed my abs against the belt, I felt 'solid', and just concentrated on getting the weight off the ground.

I've said it before, but there is something very fuckin cool about pulling 300+ pounds off the ground...giving it 100% of your effort...I really think it builds self-confidence, character, will power, you name it!

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 280
1 x 3 x 325
1 x 1 x 355
5 x 8 x 190

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 12 x 180

(Increased these to 12 reps from 10...really felt it by set 3!)

Rasto

Rasto
12-17-09, 9:24 am
sweet ...i love heavybag training......i do it 3 times a week myself....its freaking awesome!!!

i dont have back troubles per say lol......but i always tweak something in it all the time....i guess cause i push my back to its olimits everytime...even when i am cutting haha....but i always come back stronger.....so i guess its used to getting a beating from me lol.....

I hear ya dude...I would do the heavy bag work 3 times a week too, but I fear my wife & 2 year old daughter (who are upstairs sleeping right now) would kill me! LOL! I actually have one of those heavy bag/speed bag stand combos, and although I still can't use the speed bag (waaaaaay too loud) I can at least sneak in a weekly heavy bag session. When I first got the heavy bag and hung it from the rafters in the basement, you could hear it upstairs, so that's why I bought the stand. My wife occasionally complains that I still wake her up with the actual "hitting" of the bag, but I mostly work on combination's & speed rather than power in the morning.

As to back troubles...For me, it's a long story, but essentially, I have a right hip that likes to lock up because of tight hip flexors. I actually stopped doing squats about 8 months ago, and the locking up (which causes back pain, or sometimes causes me to tweak my back doing heavy deadlifts) stopped. Since I started this first wave of 5/3/1 I decided to start squatting again (with low weights) to make sure my form is right, and to get a chance to really work on the mobility of my hips. 3 weeks in, and it's not too bad. I can feel it "locked" up a little bit in the mornings, but after my warm-up/workout, it's usually gone.

Do you have a heavy bag at home or do you use it at the gym?

Bullfrog JJR
12-17-09, 10:16 am
NICE, DUDE!

Not long ago you were sweating getting up 300 pounds, and today you jacked up 355? Fuckin' awesome.

And you're right- taking that kind of weight and moving it where it is fighting you every centimeter not to go...few things compare to that feeling.

Enjoy a well earned couple days off, brother. Great way to end the week.

Rasto
12-18-09, 8:23 am
NICE, DUDE!

Not long ago you were sweating getting up 300 pounds, and today you jacked up 355? Fuckin' awesome.

And you're right- taking that kind of weight and moving it where it is fighting you every centimeter not to go...few things compare to that feeling.

Enjoy a well earned couple days off, brother. Great way to end the week.

Thanks bro! I was pretty pumped for sure!

(And my days off start after today's workout...I'm hitting 5/3/1 with Squat/Bench/Cardio/Deads/Military Press)

Rasto
12-18-09, 9:20 am

Well, week 3 is now wrapped up...I loved it, but in a way I'm also glad it's over. I woke up this morning fairly stiff from yesterday's workout. Took a while to get properly warmed up for MP & chins. Once I got going, things were great!

One note: for chins, I switched to rope chins this week...this is simply to make my grip work harder. Still hitting 40 reps, just going it in more sets with lower reps because hanging onto a 2 inch rope is a hell of a lot harder than holding onto a chin-up bar.

Looking forward to the deload week next week!

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 105
1 x 3 x 120
1 x 1 x 135
5 x 10 x 70

Rope Chins
5 x 6 x 180
2 x 5 x 180

Bullfrog JJR
12-18-09, 11:00 am
Thanks bro! I was pretty pumped for sure!

(And my days off start after today's workout...I'm hitting 5/3/1 with Squat/Bench/Cardio/Deads/Military Press)

Right! Forgot what day it was...

Rasto
12-21-09, 9:09 am

Well, it's week 4 (deloading week) for my first wave of 5/3/1. I definitely like how it's been going so far. I like the simplicity of the workout (2 exercises per day, weights pre-determined).

I'm excited to start wave 2 next week. I think with squats I'm going to increase my 'max' by about 30 pounds. This will bring me closer to the actual max I had when I was still doing squats.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 115
1 x 5 x 125
1 x 5 x 135
5 x 10 x 95

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

sunny_max
12-21-09, 8:39 pm
I hear ya dude...I would do the heavy bag work 3 times a week too, but I fear my wife & 2 year old daughter (who are upstairs sleeping right now) would kill me! LOL! I actually have one of those heavy bag/speed bag stand combos, and although I still can't use the speed bag (waaaaaay too loud) I can at least sneak in a weekly heavy bag session. When I first got the heavy bag and hung it from the rafters in the basement, you could hear it upstairs, so that's why I bought the stand. My wife occasionally complains that I still wake her up with the actual "hitting" of the bag, but I mostly work on combination's & speed rather than power in the morning.

As to back troubles...For me, it's a long story, but essentially, I have a right hip that likes to lock up because of tight hip flexors. I actually stopped doing squats about 8 months ago, and the locking up (which causes back pain, or sometimes causes me to tweak my back doing heavy deadlifts) stopped. Since I started this first wave of 5/3/1 I decided to start squatting again (with low weights) to make sure my form is right, and to get a chance to really work on the mobility of my hips. 3 weeks in, and it's not too bad. I can feel it "locked" up a little bit in the mornings, but after my warm-up/workout, it's usually gone.

Do you have a heavy bag at home or do you use it at the gym?

good on ya for doing squats again bro...with correct form its actually good for you!!

i used to use heavy bag when i was boxing in high school and college...then i got into punching sand bags which have rough surface.....i used to hit em with bare knucles and only tape around my wrist to protect my wrist from punching impacts......but it would always rip the skin off my knucles...i kinda liked it cause i was getting stronger but it kinda made me look more vicous whilke training......now i have an 80 lb everlast bag and a wavemaster lil bitty bag which holds water at bottom and you have to hang it....that one for my gf....in my garage......she likes to kick it a few times a week lol........how do you like hevy bag training?

Rasto
12-22-09, 9:32 am
good on ya for doing squats again bro...with correct form its actually good for you!!

i used to use heavy bag when i was boxing in high school and college...then i got into punching sand bags which have rough surface.....i used to hit em with bare knucles and only tape around my wrist to protect my wrist from punching impacts......but it would always rip the skin off my knucles...i kinda liked it cause i was getting stronger but it kinda made me look more vicous whilke training......now i have an 80 lb everlast bag and a wavemaster lil bitty bag which holds water at bottom and you have to hang it....that one for my gf....in my garage......she likes to kick it a few times a week lol........how do you like hevy bag training?

Thanks dude...I'm hoping between watching my form and keeping with the dynamic mobility drills & foam rolling that I'll be able to keep squatting!

As to the heavy bag; I used to train in taekwondo (years ago) and I used to love the kicking/punching drills we did. I had a wavemaster when I lived in a condo, but it was way too loud to use regularly. That's why when I moved into my house a few years ago, I got a 100 lb. Everlast bag & stand. I have hand wraps, and 14oz. gloves that I use because at this point in my life, I want to protect my hands! LOL. I used to love tearing my knuckles open (like you) and I even used to carry around a little piece of wood to "punch" while I was driving, etc. to try and harden my knuckles. (that was only for a short period of time) Know that I'm older, I guess having "hardened" knuckles isn't a priority, and having hands that I can show a client is. (Growing up sucks) I'm actually a computer programmer for a living, so I can't afford to break my knuckles, etc. either!

My heavy bag training now a days consists of 5 two minute rounds on Wednesdays. I still throw kicks in there to mix it up a little, but since it's only a 100 lb. bag, it can get swinging too much pretty fast.

Rasto
12-22-09, 9:33 am

Was a little tired this morning...My daughter (2 year old) was up a bunch of times last night between 3:30 & 4:15. Makes for a pretty early 5:45am call to workout! Still...once I got moving, things went pretty good. I'm happy to be hitting the 110's again!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 140
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 5 x 165
5 x 10 x 120

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 110

Neck Raises
3 x 10 x 10

sunny_max
12-23-09, 12:46 am
haha i hear ya man....in corporate worldyou can look like a bodybuilder but not someone who is being tortured everyday ...lmao......how foam rolling coming out for ya....i always wanted to do that

Rasto
12-23-09, 9:29 am
haha i hear ya man....in corporate worldyou can look like a bodybuilder but not someone who is being tortured everyday ...lmao......how foam rolling coming out for ya....i always wanted to do that

LOL...you've got it right dude...I think to a certain extent you get a little more respect from clients when you look like you lift, especially as a computer programmer!

As to the foam rolling, I love it...well, actually, I love the results, I don't necessarily love the 'pain' when you're rolling certain areas...especially if there's a lot of scar tissue or it's really tender. I've read a few guys recommend that you just use a pvc pipe for rolling, cause the foam roller 'gives out' after a few years of use. I dunno...that sounds a lot like torture!

Rasto
12-23-09, 9:31 am

I can't believe how hard it is to 'get going' with the push/pull medley. For example, it took me about 25 minutes in my basement gym to 'convince' myself to get going. I think it's cause my body knows that it's hard work doing the workout. I use the heavy bag work as a reward for completing the medley.

I think one of my goals for 2010 should be to stop being a pussy on Wednesdays, and stop wasting time before starting the workout!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Heavy bag work
5 rounds @ 2 mins each.

sunny_max
12-24-09, 10:26 pm
yeah man i have never used it...but i want to....was skeptical about the pain using it...but i wil try it sometime...thnx man.....good luck with all your goals and happy holidays!!

widdlewade44
12-24-09, 10:42 pm
Nice log brother and great workouts, keep up the good work!

I haven't used my belt for the past 13 months and my core is a lot stronger and overall my lifts are better. Great form is required and you have to have your head on straight.

Good luck on your Journey, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Rasto
12-28-09, 9:13 am
yeah man i have never used it...but i want to....was skeptical about the pain using it...but i wil try it sometime...thnx man.....good luck with all your goals and happy holidays!!

Thanks dude! (and Happy Holidays to you too!)

Rasto
12-28-09, 9:14 am
Nice log brother and great workouts, keep up the good work!

I haven't used my belt for the past 13 months and my core is a lot stronger and overall my lifts are better. Great form is required and you have to have your head on straight.

Good luck on your Journey, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks for the props dude! Question about the belt; what have you been doing in the past 13 months to help increase your core? Do you find that without the belt, just doing squats/deads are helping increase your core strength?

Rasto
12-28-09, 9:18 am

Well...the first workout of Wave 2 & I think I'll have problems walking for the rest of the day! (In a good way, I didn't actually tweak anything)

;-)

Anyways, for squats on Wave 2, I decided to add 30 pounds to my 'max' that I'm using to calculate my working weights. This was done intentionally since Wave 1 was the first time doing squats in about 8/9 months. Today's workout went quite well, so I think I made the right decision.

One note: For the Glute Ham raises; I don't have an actual machine or anything, I just anchor my feet underneath one of the "spotting" arms of my power rack & do them the "natural way". For Wave 2, I'm using a black band wrapped around my body to 'assist' me in the 'lifting' part of the exercise. In Wave 1, I was 'pushing' myself off the ground to get momentum, but I don't feel like that was as effective. (I think I was pushing too hard off the ground to get a really good workout) By using the bands, I take the 'push' out of the movement, and 'it's all me'.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 175
1 x 5 x 185
5 x 10 x 110

Glute Ham Raises (assisted)
5 x 10 x 180

Rasto
12-29-09, 9:27 am

Well, first day of Wave 2 for bench went pretty good. I actually did the DB Rows without straps this week. Was a lot tougher than last weeks DB Rows with straps. (And last week, I thought using 110 db's with straps was damn hard) I ended up having to 'reset' my grip after rep #4 or 5 on each and every set. Struggled to get 8 reps on the last set, but managed to do it. I think I'm going to stick with 5 sets of 8 reps at 100 without straps for this whole wave and see how that goes!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 180
1 x 5 x 190
1 x 5 x 205
5 x 10 x 125

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 100

Neck Raises
4 x 10 x 10

sunny_max
12-29-09, 7:05 pm
looking good brother...hows 5/3/1 treating ya?......you like it? any inputs? i am starting 5x5 madcow start of this year

Rasto
12-30-09, 9:30 am

So beat today...my legs were still stiff from Monday's squat workout, and my right hip was locked up, so that was causing some low back pain. (This was the reason I quit doing squats before...)

Anyways, felt great to get this workout done. (last cardio/conditioning of 2009, so I tried to make it count)

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Heavy Bag work
5 rounds @ 2 mins

Rasto
12-31-09, 8:07 am
looking good brother...hows 5/3/1 treating ya?......you like it? any inputs? i am starting 5x5 madcow start of this year

Thanks dude! 5/3/1 has been great (even though I'm only on the first week of wave 2) I really like the simplicity of the workouts (2 exercises per workout) and the way all of the working set weights are pre-determined. As long as I hit my prescribed weights/reps, I feel like I'm making progress. Also, with the variance in reps between week 1/2/3 it really keeps your body guessing.

I guess I'm saying I would definitely recommend it.

I think I've done the 5x5 madcow (a few years ago) and had "ok" results with it. I'm pretty sure I probably wasn't pushing myself enough or something! I'm gonna have to pay more attention to your log to see how it goes eh?

Rasto
12-31-09, 9:13 am

Well boys, the last workout of 2009 has come and gone, and I gotta say, I'm pretty damn happy with it. (and the whole year actually)

I was somewhat tentative going into this workout today, since my left hip was still locked up from doing squats on Monday. Usually with a hip that locks up, if I do deadlifts (with any considerable weight) I end up tweaking my lower back. Well, today I just took it "easy" and really concentrated on the movement of the deadlift, and I was able to hit all of the prescribed weights/reps!

Anyways, I'm hoping to workout tomorrow (Military Press day) but my wife is probably gonna give me a hard time about working out on a holiday. We'll see if I can sneak it in anyways!

Happy New Year to all you guys!

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 285
1 x 5 x 305
1 x 5 x 325 **PR**
5 x 8 x 190

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 12 x 180

Rasto
01-01-10, 1:35 pm

First workout of the year was amazing. Simply amazing...And only because my 2 1/2 year old daughter joined me in the weight room.

I would do a set of Military Press, and then she would do a set with a broom handle. She hung in there pretty good, and even did some "daddy-assisted" chin ups on the ropes.

This is gonna be a great year!

Have a great day guys!

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 110
1 x 5 x 115
1 x 5 x 125
5 x 10 x 75

Rope Chins
5 x 6 x 180
2 x 5 x 180

Rasto
01-04-10, 9:15 am

Next week, I need to really concentrate on not letting my knees come "inwards" at the higher weights.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 3 x 175
1 x 3 x 185
1 x 3 x 200
5 x 10 x 115

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

Bullfrog JJR
01-04-10, 9:23 am

Next week, I need to really concentrate on not letting my knees come "inwards" at the higher weights.

Hey, man! I thought it was funny that we posted our entries at the same time.

With regard to keeping your knees out, concentrate on sitting back, not down. As it was put to me, "try to stick your ass through the wall behind you". Chest out, big breath, stay tight and sit your ass backwards. Hopefully that helps.

sunny_max
01-04-10, 10:58 pm
awww lil girl doing chin ups...thats sooo cute!!.....

5/3/1 looking good brother......i did my 5x5 for the first time today...expecting good things from it too!!

congrats n the PR for deadlifts brother...great job!!

Rasto
01-05-10, 9:31 am
Hey, man! I thought it was funny that we posted our entries at the same time.

With regard to keeping your knees out, concentrate on sitting back, not down. As it was put to me, "try to stick your ass through the wall behind you". Chest out, big breath, stay tight and sit your ass backwards. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks bro! I'll try that que next week when I'm squatting...Past couple of weeks, I've been concentrating on a mental que of "squeezing the bar" to keep my upper back tight. I'll add the one you suggested, and see what happens

Rasto
01-05-10, 9:32 am
awww lil girl doing chin ups...thats sooo cute!!.....

5/3/1 looking good brother......i did my 5x5 for the first time today...expecting good things from it too!!

congrats n the PR for deadlifts brother...great job!!

haa haa Thanks bro! It was pretty cute indeed. You sore from the 5x5 today?

Rasto
01-05-10, 9:35 am

Shitty workout today...it's bound to happen, but it always seems to happen on my bench days! (I think I've mentioned many, many time how shitty my bench weight is)

Anyways...going into today's workout, my upper back felt stiff, and my hip was locked up from yesterday's squat session (still don't have that hip mobility thing fixed yet) Mentally, I guess I just wasn't there, and I couldn't hit my 215x3 for the final set. Ended up doing 2 sets of 215x2....It sucks cause in July I hit 225 for 3 reps, and I think that was playing in my mind today too.

Oh well.....next week is another week, right?

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 3 x 190
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 2 x 215
1 x 2 x 215
5 x 10 x 125

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 100

Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Bullfrog JJR
01-05-10, 10:49 am
Thanks bro! I'll try that que next week when I'm squatting...Past couple of weeks, I've been concentrating on a mental que of "squeezing the bar" to keep my upper back tight. I'll add the one you suggested, and see what happens

About 6 weeks ago, I went to an ABC at a powerlifting/strongman gym and I asked them to evaluate my squat technique. They worked with me for about 2 hours and completely overhauled it. Now, they are ass to ankles and I feel like a coiled spring at the bottom and my numbers are going up nicely (190 X 5 to 200 X 7 over cycles 1 and 2 week 1). They were the ones who got me to back instead of down.

Bullfrog JJR
01-05-10, 10:55 am

Shitty workout today...it's bound to happen, but it always seems to happen on my bench days! (I think I've mentioned many, many time how shitty my bench weight is)

Anyways...going into today's workout, my upper back felt stiff, and my hip was locked up from yesterday's squat session (still don't have that hip mobility thing fixed yet) Mentally, I guess I just wasn't there, and I couldn't hit my 215x3 for the final set. Ended up doing 2 sets of 215x2....It sucks cause in July I hit 225 for 3 reps, and I think that was playing in my mind today too.

Oh well.....next week is another week, right?

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 3 x 190
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 2 x 215
1 x 2 x 215
5 x 10 x 125

Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 100

Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Don't sweat it, bro. Off days are a fact of life. Just keep that feeling in the back of your mind the next bench day and use it to your advantage.

sunny_max
01-05-10, 9:44 pm
lol yeah i am still sore frm squatiing cause i worked out after 2 weeks!!! and i gotta do it agian tomo!!...but i will be ok lol....

yeah an we have off days but next week is a new week .......you will get it...hang in there brother...

Rasto
01-07-10, 9:38 am

Wow...This week has been tough! Not sure what's going on, but the motivation in the morning is lacking. Luckily, I pushed through the initial self-doubt, got through my warm-up, and started Deadlifting. Ended up getting the prescribed reps/weights, which lead me to a new 3RM PR!

340 was my 1RM in July of '08...so I figure that's pretty good progress.

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 3 x 305
1 x 3 x 325
1 x 3 x 340 **NEW PR**
5 x 8 x 190
Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 12 x 180

Rasto
01-07-10, 9:39 am
About 6 weeks ago, I went to an ABC at a powerlifting/strongman gym and I asked them to evaluate my squat technique. They worked with me for about 2 hours and completely overhauled it. Now, they are ass to ankles and I feel like a coiled spring at the bottom and my numbers are going up nicely (190 X 5 to 200 X 7 over cycles 1 and 2 week 1). They were the ones who got me to back instead of down.

That's pretty cool...I keep thinking about hitting up some kind of powerlifting gym to have them analyze my form, etc. I think it would be a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Rasto
01-07-10, 9:41 am
Don't sweat it, bro. Off days are a fact of life. Just keep that feeling in the back of your mind the next bench day and use it to your advantage.

too true...too true! Next Tuesday is setup for 5/3/1...I'm really hoping I can push the doubts away, and just getting angry with the weights!

lol yeah i am still sore frm squatiing cause i worked out after 2 weeks!!! and i gotta do it agian tomo!!...but i will be ok lol....

yeah an we have off days but next week is a new week .......you will get it...hang in there brother...

thanks dude!

Rasto
01-08-10, 9:23 am
Wow..this week has been brutal for me with regards to working out...Everyday has been a struggle. Maybe I am/was coming down with something. At least I finished week off with a good workout (once I got started...)

Anyways...next week is another week, and I'm gonna come back with my head screwed on right!

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 3 x 115
1 x 3 x 125
1 x 3 x 130
5 x 10 x 75

Rope Chins
5 x 6 x 180
2 x 5 x 180

Bullfrog JJR
01-08-10, 10:09 am
ROPE CHINS?!

Damn! Just when I thought I was turning the corner on these fucking things, I have to go and read that. Thanks a lot...

Seriously though, look at it this way- you pushed through a tough week and got the work in. Next time you feel like you may not have it one day, you won't be able to say you can't, because you have.

fuckin rope chins...

Rasto
01-11-10, 9:15 am
ROPE CHINS?!

Damn! Just when I thought I was turning the corner on these fucking things, I have to go and read that. Thanks a lot...

Seriously though, look at it this way- you pushed through a tough week and got the work in. Next time you feel like you may not have it one day, you won't be able to say you can't, because you have.

fuckin rope chins...

:-) Sorry dude...Yeah, rope chins...They are "all that, and a bag o'chips".

And thanks...definitely something to remember the next time a week like that happens

Rasto
01-11-10, 9:17 am

Today's workout marks a new week...things went pretty good compared to last week.
Thew in a couple of extra sets of squats today...210 was my prescribed weight/rep range, and I felt like pushing it 'just a little more'...so I added 225 and then got crushed at 245...Haa haa...It was pretty funny actually.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 3 x 185
1 x 1 x 210
1 x 1 x 225
5 x 10 x 115

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

sunny_max
01-12-10, 6:45 am
nice works on the squats man...keep at it and 245 is yours soon!

Rasto
01-12-10, 9:26 am
nice works on the squats man...keep at it and 245 is yours soon!

Thanks dude...Back when I was doing squats regularly, 250 was my max, so I figured 245 could've been done...like you said though, soon!

Rasto
01-12-10, 9:27 am

Decent workout today....was able to get almost all 5 sets of DB Rows up to 6 reps before having to put the weight down (grip strength)...Not much longer till I can hold those 100 pounders for all 8 reps!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 1 x 230
5 x 10 x 125
Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 100
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

sunny_max
01-12-10, 10:31 pm
whats kroc style dumbell row?

Rasto
01-13-10, 8:15 am
whats kroc style dumbell row?

I don't know the 'official' definition, but they are named after Matt Kroczaleski (EliteFTS), and they include being very, very heavy (relative to your strength) and very intense...And the form is a little different than the traditional 'one knee on the bench' style.

Here's a URL to him doing 225x25:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jAIdoORxI

Rasto
01-14-10, 9:10 am

With my right hip still locked from Monday's squat workout, I wasn't sure how today was going to go...I ended up not getting my 1x360, cause when I started lifting, I could feel right away in my lower back that "just before you hurt yourself" pain, and released my grip right away...walked away from the bar, and proceeded to finish my workout with the hanging leg raises. (skipped the 5x8x190 that normally would've followed the heavy single)

Although I'm not 'happy' that I didn't hit 360, I'm really happy how the rest of the sets felt up to that point (even with my hip locked, I was still able to focus on the form, and not 'tweak my back' as I have in the past)....So I'm definitely not 'defeated' like I was last week! (Hoooray me!)

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 285
1 x 3 x 325
1 x 0 x 360

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 12 x 180

Rasto
01-15-10, 9:39 am

Good workout today - felt really strong on the MP. There was quite a bit of extra rest on the final sets of MP (5x10) because my daughter came downstairs to workout...so we spent a lot of time "dancing". Gotta love a 2 1/2 year old's idea of 'active rest' periods

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 115
1 x 3 x 125
1 x 1 x 140
5 x 10 x 75
Rope Chins
5 x 6 x 180
2 x 5 x 180

Rasto
01-18-10, 9:31 am

De-load week...the neat thing about 5/3/1 is that the wave's go by pretty quick! It seems like you're just getting into the heavy weights, and you've got a de-loading week.

Squat
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 155
5 x 10 x 115

Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 180

T o m m Y
01-19-10, 8:46 am
Loooking good bro,how you like 5/3/1?

Rasto
01-19-10, 9:21 am

Great workout today considering the fact it's a de-load week. I was going to take it easy on the db rows, but after getting called out by Bullfrog JJR (*wink*) I just had to keep the weights up! With added motivation today, I was able to hit 8 full reps on the first set without putting down the DB! The rest of the sets ranged between 5/6 reps before putting the DB down.

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 145
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 5 x 170
5 x 10 x 135
Kroc Style DB Row
5 x 8 x 100
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Rasto
01-19-10, 9:24 am
Loooking good bro,how you like 5/3/1?

Thanks dude...Truth is, I'm not 100% sold on 5/3/1. I like it for the fact that it's got me doing squats again (although, my hip still locks up on me, I'm glad I'm back doing them) and I like the way my deads have been progressing. I feel like it's taught me that my deads can have a lot higher volume at a higher weight than I was using before.

That said, I'm not sure it's doing my bench press any good - I feel that I might actually be getting weaker on the bench at the high end. I feel like I made better progress with Joe Defranco's 'Westside for skinny bastards' template. I was doing an ME bench and DE bench day, and doing more benching & benching assistance exercises...By the end of that I had increased my bench up to 250. (From a previous max of 235)

I'm going to do one more wave of 5/3/1 (it's only 4 weeks) and then see how my bench feels after that. I may switch back into a modified WS4SB template after that.

Rasto
01-20-10, 9:38 am

Good day...It's been 2 weeks since I did my last cardio/conditioning workout - mostly cause I've been a pussy on Wednesday morning. Luckily, this morning it felt like I had balls, so I did my workout.

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60

Heavy bag work - 5 rounds @ 2 mins

Rasto
01-21-10, 9:17 am

One more day of Wave 2 - MP tomorrow, then it's Week 1 of Wave 3.

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 230
1 x 5 x 245
1 x 5 x 265
5 x 8 x 190

Hanging Leg Raises
5 x 12 x 180

Rasto
01-22-10, 9:07 am

Last day of Wave 2 - Not sure what to do next week. I'm pretty sure I'll do one more wave of 5/3/1, however...I'm thinking that instead of 4 workouts per week, I might drop it to 3 and setup the Squat/Bench/Dead/MP exercises over 2 weeks instead of just one. I think it might be a little easier on my body! (I feel like I'm just getting too worn out over the course of a wave)

Any thoughts?

Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 75
1 x 5 x 85
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 105
5 x 10 x 75
Rope Chins
5 x 6 x 180
2 x 5 x 180

Bullfrog JJR
01-22-10, 9:36 am

Last day of Wave 2 - Not sure what to do next week. I'm pretty sure I'll do one more wave of 5/3/1, however...I'm thinking that instead of 4 workouts per week, I might drop it to 3 and setup the Squat/Bench/Dead/MP exercises over 2 weeks instead of just one. I think it might be a little easier on my body! (I feel like I'm just getting too worn out over the course of a wave)

Any thoughts?

Yeah- take a week off. It sounds like your getting pretty burnt out. Take a week, rest up, heal up and get back after it next week. You've made some serious progress and you're at a good stopping point since you just wrapped up a cycle.

Rasto
02-01-10, 9:11 am
Yeah- take a week off. It sounds like your getting pretty burnt out. Take a week, rest up, heal up and get back after it next week. You've made some serious progress and you're at a good stopping point since you just wrapped up a cycle.

Well dude, I'm back! Took your advice, and decided to take last week off. My wife was un-believably surprised every morning when I got up at 7:00 instead of the normal 5:45.

I am totally ready to hit the weights hard again, just need to heal my ankle...fucked it pretty bad on Friday night playing b-ball...I came down on someone's foot, and rolled over my ankle pretty bad. I'm going to do upper body only for a few weeks until it gets better.

That which doesn't kill us...

Rasto
02-01-10, 9:16 am

Like I said in my last post, I'm back from a solid week away from weights. It was pretty decent, and surprised the hell outta my wife. (She couldn't remember the last time I took a full week off of training)

Anyways, I also managed to fuck up my ankle on Friday night playing b-ball...so for the next few weeks, I'll be sticking to mainly upper body. We'll see in a week how it all feels, I may start to add some body weight lower body stuff soon.

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 2 x 215
1 x 1 x 215
Band Assisted Bench
5 x 3 x 225
Closegrip Bench
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 8 x 145
1 x 6 x 155
1 x 7 x 135
Medicin ball swings
3 x 20 x 8

Bullfrog JJR
02-01-10, 9:24 am
good to see you back. taking some time off helps every once in a while.

I rested up for the most part last week myself and got back on the bench this morning.

I think we're both in the first week of new cycles, so that'll be good. you staying with 5/3/1?

Rasto
02-02-10, 8:16 am
good to see you back. taking some time off helps every once in a while.

I rested up for the most part last week myself and got back on the bench this morning.

I think we're both in the first week of new cycles, so that'll be good. you staying with 5/3/1?

Thanks dude - It's good to be back in the gym. As to 5/3/1...not 100% sure, I like how it went for my squats/deads...but was really hoping to have a better response from my bench - I think I might (when my ankle is fully healed) change it up a bit so I have one ME and one DE Bench day...and then work the squat/dead around that, still using 5/3/1 as a set/rep scheme.

I'll be watching your 5/3/1 still though!

Rasto
02-02-10, 9:32 am

Ahhhh....Back / Bi's...I think this is the day all high school kids love...GUN SHOW!

Close Grip Chins
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 5 x 195
1 x 3 x 210
1 x 3 x 220
1 x 3 x 230
1 x 1 x 245
1 x 1 x 250
Wide Grip Pull-down
1 x 15 x 90
1 x 11 x 110
1 x 8 x 120
1 x 6 x 130
Seated DB Curl
5 x 8 x 30

Rasto
02-03-10, 9:23 am

Giving blood tonight, so this might be the last workout for this week. Ankle has a lot more mobility - I've been icing it like 3/4 times everyday. I don't think I've ever iced an ankle in my life! (And I used to roll it every couple of years when I was training in taekwondo) Although there's more mobility, it's still pretty sore to the touch, and swollen.

Seated Military Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 3 x 115
1 x 2 x 120
1 x 3 x 120
DB Lateral Raises
5 x 10 x 10
Skull Crushers
3 x 10 x 70
Band Tricep Extensions
3 x 20 x 0
1 x 13 x 0
1 x 10 x 0
1 x 5 x 0
1 x 20 x 0

Rasto
02-11-10, 8:32 am
So, it's been about a week since I last posted, I've actually been in the gym all week, just really busy, and I haven't had a chance to really come here and jot down my notes. (I still use my own web application that I track all my workouts in)

Anyways, a quick update before this mornings workout:

I've decided to go with a new workout...Kindof a hybrid of 5/3/1 and WS4SB (Westside for Skinny Bastards) The reason for this is that my best gains in bench press last year were at the end of a cycle of WS4SB - however, I've really enjoyed doing both squat/deads during the week with 5/3/1. Hence the reason for the hybrid. The only other major change is that I'm adding Sunday afternoon as a workout - I'm doing an Upper ME workout on Sunday afternoons. For years (and years) I've worked out in the morning in preparation for being a dad - knowing that I wouldn't be able to dedicate a ton of 'me time' when I had a kid. Working out in the morning (5:45...) would give me a chance to get my workout done, and I'd still have the rest of the day for wife/kid. It's worked great, but I've always felt like I could be stronger if I worked out later in the day. (After a few meals, etc.) Anyways - I've decided that one workout on Sunday is when I'm going to take some 'me time' and workout.

This past weekend when I worked out on Sunday, my (almost 3 year old) daughter came downstairs to cheer me on - it was awesome, and I think it will work great. The weights I used were very close to the weights I was using back in the summer when I finally benched 250.

Anyways - Sorry for the rambling - It's my birthday and I wanted to make sure you guys knew I was still here, and still working out!

Here's my template -

Sunday - ME Upper body
Monday - 5/3/1 Squats
Tuesday - Cardio/conditioning
Wednesday - DE Upper body (did some plyometric pushups yesterday that were awesome)
Thursday - 5/3/1 Deads
Friday - rest (or Cardio/conditioning if I'm not playing b-ball that day)

Peace,

Rasto

Bullfrog JJR
02-11-10, 9:17 am
Happy Birthday brother.

My thinking was the same way as far as getting in the gym that early (kids, etc.), but I'm to the point now where it's tough to get the quality of work in that is necessary due to basically 3 years of sleep deprivation. That shit finally caught up with me too.

The beauty of what you're doing with the switching up of your training is that this pursuit is as much about learning, applying and adapting what experience has taught you.

Keep after it and even though I'm on the shelf for a little while, I'll still be keeping up with your journey.

Peace.

Rasto
02-12-10, 8:29 am
Happy Birthday brother.

My thinking was the same way as far as getting in the gym that early (kids, etc.), but I'm to the point now where it's tough to get the quality of work in that is necessary due to basically 3 years of sleep deprivation. That shit finally caught up with me too.

The beauty of what you're doing with the switching up of your training is that this pursuit is as much about learning, applying and adapting what experience has taught you.

Keep after it and even though I'm on the shelf for a little while, I'll still be keeping up with your journey.

Peace.

Thanks dude - I had an amazing day yesterday, must've been cause I started it with deadlifts!

Anyways, I think you hit the nail on the head (as usual it seems) when you commented on adapting what experience has taught me - Everytime I read about someone doing the 5/3/1 program, I read about how they put 10 or 20 pounds to their bench max after 1 or 2 cycles. Me? I didn't test my maxes (stupid rolling of the ankle at basketball a couple of weeks ago) but I guarantee that I didn't put anything on my bench.

As to sleep deprivation - I know that for the first year and half of my daughter's life, I was definitely sleep deprived...I'm one of those husbands who alternated nights with my wife for getting up to do the nightly feedings for our daughter. Even though it was tough, I still managed to miss very few morning workouts in that year and a half. However, I don't think I really made any major progress!

Now that she's 2 1/2 (and we've pretty much decided to stop at one) I'm getting a full nights sleep pretty much 90% of the time. I think my progress is ready to continue!

How many kids do you have? (And what ages are they?)

As to being on the shelf - get better dude, do what you need, and get back in this thing, I was really enjoying reading about your workouts, progress, and mini trips to powerlifting gyms!

Bullfrog JJR
02-12-10, 2:37 pm
2 boys, one almost 4 and the other almost 1. Sleep has been a luxury in this house.

As far as my knee goes, I seethe doc next week. I will be fuckin pissed if there's something seriously wrong because I am looking at my first meet on April 10th and my first strongman contest on May 22nd. Rest is helping, so hopefully some more of that will be all I need.

Rasto
02-14-10, 1:12 pm
2 boys, one almost 4 and the other almost 1. Sleep has been a luxury in this house.

As far as my knee goes, I seethe doc next week. I will be fuckin pissed if there's something seriously wrong because I am looking at my first meet on April 10th and my first strongman contest on May 22nd. Rest is helping, so hopefully some more of that will be all I need.

Dude - one 4 year-old & 1 almost 1 eh? That's crazy...I'm assuming that around the time you started getting used to sleeping through the night after the first one) the second one was born...I don't envy you! LOL...Still - I wouldn't change a thing, and I think you know what I mean about that. (You ever listen to that Darius Rucker song - "It won't be like this for long"? I absolutely love that song...Of course, Lamb of God and Hatebreed are my workout music, so that balances out songs like that! LOL)

Anyways - Good luck with you knee - I'm definitely keeping on your log to see how your progress goes for your competitions, etc.

Peace,

Rasto
02-14-10, 1:14 pm
Week 2 of my new experiment - ME Upper body on Sundays was AWESOME! After a huge Valentine's Day b-fast of pancakes & bacon...I had an awesome workout. I think I'm almost where I was in July with my bench press when I hit 250 for the first (and so far only) time. Keep this up, and my 2010 goal of 275 will be close in my sights!

Have a great day guys!

Dynamic Warm-up & Foam Rolling

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 200
1 x 4 x 205
1 x 2 x 225
1 x 1 x 225
Band Assisted Bench
3 x 4 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
6 x 5 x 185
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 35
Close Grip Press
4 x 15 x 95
Band Extensions
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
02-15-10, 2:53 pm

Good workout today - It's family day here in Alberta...just means a day off for us working stiffs!

With the Squats - I'm using a band wrapped around my knees to really get in the habit of spreading my knees apart when I squat

Squat
1 x 15 x 45
1 x 15 x 65
3 x 10 x 95
2 x 10 x 115
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
3 x 10 x 20
2 x 10 x 10
Reverse Wood Chop (band)
3 x 10 x 0
Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
02-16-10, 9:29 am
Good workout today - I was actually standing by the time the rest periods were up in between sets of push/pull medley!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60

Heavy Bag - 5 rounds @ 2 mins

Rasto
02-17-10, 9:31 am

During this next cycle, I'm going to really focus on my dynamic speed - not just on bench, but upper body in general. Today's workout seems perfectly setup for me to succeed. I did some plyo pushups (from the ground, push up and "jump" onto some boxes)...and I did Touch'n Go pushups (start on a box, jump down, and back up again)...and I did MP throws...with a T-bar setup that my wife bought for my b-day last week.
Here's what the bracket looks like:

http://www.luckis.ca/wecs.php?store=luck&action=display&target=TDS+C-9135-BR

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
1 x 3 x 185
3 x 3 x 185
3 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
3 x 3 x 185
Inverted Row
5 x 10 x 185
DB Shrugs
3 x 12 x 60
T-bar Military Press Throws
1 x 10 x 0
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 20
1 x 10 x 30
1 x 10 x 40
1 x 10 x 50
1 x 5 x 60
1 x 5 x 40
1 x 5 x 20

Rasto
02-18-10, 9:23 am

Good workout today - I think I may have to change the name since it's really not (yet) 5/3/1 version of deads...Since my ankle still isn't 100%, I haven't really been pushing it...just trying to get some work in.

Deadlift
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
5 x 5 x 225
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

sunny_max
02-20-10, 6:34 am
belated happy b'day brother.......and nice looking deads man.....

Rasto
02-21-10, 5:47 pm
belated happy b'day brother.......and nice looking deads man.....

Thanks bro - it's great to have you back! I hope all is well with you.

Rasto
02-21-10, 5:51 pm

Gotta say - I'm still loving working out on Sundays...this week my workout partner (2 1/2 year daughter) was napping upstairs, so I got to listen to my lamb of god/hatebreed music instead of watching caillou or dora.

(Not that I mind the kids shows, but it's harder to 'up the intensity' when you're listening to Dora! LOL)

Good workout today - I'm really liking how my bench is feeling! (It's been about 8 months since I could say that)

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 6 x 185
1 x 5 x 200
3 x 2 x 225
Band Assisted Bench
1 x 5 x 225
2 x 4 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
4 x 6 x 185
2 x 5 x 185
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
3 x 15 x 95
1 x 20 x 95
Band Extensions
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
02-22-10, 9:32 am

Good workout this morn - Really diggin trying to work on 'dynamic speed/power' more...stuff like the band woodchop & reverse woodchop. Thinking the transfer of power through the legs to upper body will be helped by this. I guess time will tell!

Squat
1 x 15 x 45
1 x 15 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 115
3 x 10 x 125
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0
Barbell Russian Twist
3 x 10 x 10
3 x 10 x 20
Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0
Reverse Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
02-23-10, 9:28 am

Ahhh....Feels good to be done cardio again. :-)

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60

Heavy Bag - 5 rounds @ 2 mins each

Rasto
02-24-10, 9:25 am

Ahhh - Great pump today...This dynamic effort workout is awesome - Between the touch'n go push-ups (starting on 2 boxes, 'jump down', and then 'jump back up' onto the box) to the T-Bar Military Press throws...My pecs/shoulders feel pumped & trashed. Like I said last week, I think this kind of workout will really help my bar speed & just general life-applications of strength & speed.

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
3 x 3 x 185
3 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
3 x 3 x 185
Inverted Row
5 x 10 x 185
DB Shrugs
3 x 12 x 60
1 x 10 x 25
1 x 10 x 30
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 40
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 25

Rasto
02-25-10, 9:10 am

Another week in the books -

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 235
1 x 5 x 245
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 275
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

sunny_max
02-26-10, 12:18 am
your deadlifts and bench press are looking pretty good brother......keep it up my man.....how do you like foam rolling? i have been debating to get a roller for a while now....the $30 i had i put it on gym bag...i might a get a foam roller this week when i get paid!

Rasto
02-26-10, 8:57 am
your deadlifts and bench press are looking pretty good brother......keep it up my man.....how do you like foam rolling? i have been debating to get a roller for a while now....the $30 i had i put it on gym bag...i might a get a foam roller this week when i get paid!

Thanks dude - Like I said in my earlier posts - (with regards to benching Sundays) I really think that extra training session to get my bench going, and I love max training in the afternoon versus the morning.

As to the foam roller - LOVE it. Would highly recommend it...I think for me the best usage is the 'upper back' foam rolling...I have a really tight upper back, and my wife can't usually massage 'deep enough' to help alleviate that tightness...however, the foam roller works wonders!

Rasto
02-28-10, 8:01 pm

Stellar workout! (even with Dora the Explorer playing in the background)

Finally hit 205x5 in the bench press again - It was ugly as hell, but the 5th one went up.
Almost (almost) hit 225x3 again...I think next week it'll get hit...Although I may take a de-load week...we'll see how the rest of the week treats me!

(Yayyyy! Canada - Gold in hockey)

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 7 x 185
1 x 5 x 205
3 x 2 x 225
Band Assisted Bench
2 x 5 x 225
1 x 4 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
4 x 6 x 185
2 x 5 x 185
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
3 x 15 x 105
1 x 20 x 105
Band Extensions
4 x 10 x 0

sunny_max
02-28-10, 10:39 pm
solid benching brother and congrats on the 205x5.......hang in there and you will get 225x3 soon enough!

and thnx on the review for the foam roller....appreciate it...i think i will get that asap....

Bullfrog JJR
03-01-10, 9:13 am
lol! Do you see Swiper?

Rasto
03-01-10, 9:35 am

Good morning all - Feeling pretty good this morn - Got my squats up to 135x10...Really focusing on the form over weights..

Squat
1 x 15 x 45
1 x 15 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 115
3 x 10 x 135
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0
Barbell Russian Twist
3 x 10 x 25
Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0
Reverse Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
03-01-10, 9:36 am
solid benching brother and congrats on the 205x5.......hang in there and you will get 225x3 soon enough!

and thnx on the review for the foam roller....appreciate it...i think i will get that asap....

Thanks bro - and yeah - asap with that foam roller! Let me know when you get it, cause I have a link to a pdf on a bunch of different foam rolling techniques you can use to hit all the different muscles, etc.

Rasto
03-01-10, 9:36 am
lol! Do you see Swiper?

Yeah - And after I found Swiper - Ni Ho Ki Lan came on...Hoooray!

;-)

Bullfrog JJR
03-01-10, 10:27 am
Yeah - And after I found Swiper - Ni Ho Ki Lan came on...Hoooray!

;-)

Oh, trust me, we know all about some dora and kai lan in my house too.

Rasto
03-02-10, 9:31 am

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60
Heavy Bag work
5 rounds @ 2 mins

sunny_max
03-02-10, 3:20 pm
conditioning day looks good man.....and yeah iw il let you knwo when i get that roller you can send me the link......thnx!

how much of a break do you take in between those heavy bag rounds?

Rasto
03-03-10, 9:22 am
conditioning day looks good man.....and yeah iw il let you knwo when i get that roller you can send me the link......thnx!

how much of a break do you take in between those heavy bag rounds?

No prob bro - let me know when you're ready for it.

As to the heavy bag rounds - 1 minute in between rounds. Keep in mind that I'm not hitting the bag as hard as I want to right now...My wife and daughter are upstairs sleeping, and although I have one of those 'free standing' heavy bag holders & only a 100 pound bag, my wife has complained in the past that the 'thud, thud' woke her up. So - I hit 'hard', but I don't destroy the bag like I'd like to.

Rasto
03-03-10, 9:24 am

Not much to say here - Good workout, and I'm still enjoying doing the plyo push-ups & touch n' go pushups...

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
3 x 3 x 185
3 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
3 x 3 x 185
Inverted Row
5 x 10 x 185
DB Shrugs
3 x 12 x 60
1 x 10 x 25
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 55
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

sunny_max
03-04-10, 12:14 am
solid man....those plyo pushups are looking real good......i wld say if your not hitting the bag really "hard" to cut down the rest to 30secs.......it will really challenge your body and give you great conditioning......just my 2 cents brother......

other than that your workouts are impressive and you look stronger everyday!

Rasto
03-04-10, 8:32 am
solid man....those plyo pushups are looking real good......i wld say if your not hitting the bag really "hard" to cut down the rest to 30secs.......it will really challenge your body and give you great conditioning......just my 2 cents brother......

other than that your workouts are impressive and you look stronger everyday!

30 seconds? 30 seconds??

Haa haa - Just kidding...I think that might be a good idea...not sure my shoulder will agree with you, but I'm going to give it a try next week.

Rasto
03-04-10, 9:24 am

Ahhh - Deadlifts...still one of my favorite exercises. As I was moving up in weights in deads today, I got to the last set, and although I was thinking I was going to try to hit 5, I ended up with 1. When I got that first rep up, I realized that I didn't have it in me today to hit all 5 without possibly hurting myself. I think (hope?) that as I've gotten older, I'm really starting to realize when to cut a set short. Although I could probably grind through the next rep, I'd probably end up pulling something.

Anyways - end of a pretty damn good week of training.

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 5 x 305
1 x 1 x 325
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

sunny_max
03-06-10, 1:46 am
deadlifts look solid bro.........stay at it ...it took me a while to get to 315x5 haha......theres hella difference in doing deads for reps and pulling for 1 rep!.......oh by the way i will get my foam roller when i get paid on 15th!

Bullfrog JJR
03-06-10, 10:42 am
I'll second that about there being a difference between reps and 1RM. "Only" getting that 325 up once after all the other sets you did? C'mon dude- that ain't bad AT ALL.

My ass would have been tired too. Plus, after that many reps, my grip starts to flag.

Rasto
03-08-10, 9:31 am
deadlifts look solid bro.........stay at it ...it took me a while to get to 315x5 haha......theres hella difference in doing deads for reps and pulling for 1 rep!.......oh by the way i will get my foam roller when i get paid on 15th!

I'll second that about there being a difference between reps and 1RM. "Only" getting that 325 up once after all the other sets you did? C'mon dude- that ain't bad AT ALL.

My ass would have been tired too. Plus, after that many reps, my grip starts to flag.

Alright boys - I'll concede...You're right, I'm probably being a little hard on myself. Thanks for the support!

sunny - Good to know about the foam roller...Like I said before, I love it!

Bullfrog - After months of using straps, I started using an alternating grip, and find that with the alternating grip, I'm able to handle higher weights & more reps. (also - those rope chins really help)

Rasto
03-08-10, 9:33 am

Today's workout got cut short - My wife started cooking supper and I had to join her & my daughter...It's the weekend, and that's the only time I get to eat supper with the 2 of them. (I get home too late from work during the week)

Anyways, got the bench press done before I had to head upstairs for dinner.

Still haven't hit 225x3 but I thew (just for fun) 275 on the reverse band press and almost (almost) got it up. I know (I KNOW) that I could've hit it if I hadn't pushed so hard on the bench press...Still - felt really good to have 275 in my hands for the first time ever. (That's my current bench press goal...Hopefully by summer, but for sure by the end of 2010)

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 8 x 185
1 x 5 x 205
3 x 2 x 225
Band Assisted Bench
1 x 0 x 275
1 x 4 x 225
1 x 3 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 138
Rope Chins
4 x 3 x 210
1 x 5 x 185

Rasto
03-08-10, 9:33 am

Sweet workout...still working on my squat form, and it feels good.

Squat
1 x 15 x 45
1 x 15 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
4 x 10 x 135
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0
Barbell Russian Twist
3 x 10 x 25
Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0
Reverse Wood Chop (band)
4 x 10 x 0

Rasto
03-09-10, 9:31 am

Alright bros - Another conditioning/cardio day complete! Felt really good.

Sunny - As per your suggestion last week, I knocked my rest time down to 30 seconds on the heavy bag work, and as I type this, my shoulders are still crying, and my fingers are a little shaky...I guess I'm trying to say it was hard

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60
Heavy Bag Work
5 rounds @ 2 mins w/30 sec rest.

Bullfrog JJR
03-09-10, 9:36 am
Bullfrog - After months of using straps, I started using an alternating grip, and find that with the alternating grip, I'm able to handle higher weights & more reps. (also - those rope chins really help)

LOL! You haven't broke those out for a while! Too cold, man, too cold.

sunny_max
03-10-10, 2:03 am
solid looking workouts bro....and look at you all doing doing 30 sec rest in between heavy bag.....haha ....it sure is tough but it will challenge your muscles way more!.....just make sure you recuperate well before hitting the bag again...or you gonna end up hurtign your shoulders or soemthing..........good luck bro...keep up the good work!

sunny_max
03-10-10, 2:04 am

Alright bros - Another conditioning/cardio day complete! Felt really good.

Sunny - As per your suggestion last week, I knocked my rest time down to 30 seconds on the heavy bag work, and as I type this, my shoulders are still crying, and my fingers are a little shaky...I guess I'm trying to say it was hard

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60
Heavy Bag Work
5 rounds @ 2 mins w/30 sec rest.

courtesy page bump!

Rasto
03-10-10, 9:42 am
solid looking workouts bro....and look at you all doing doing 30 sec rest in between heavy bag.....haha ....it sure is tough but it will challenge your muscles way more!.....just make sure you recuperate well before hitting the bag again...or you gonna end up hurtign your shoulders or soemthing..........good luck bro...keep up the good work!

Thanks dude - My shoulders are the only concern there...today (the day after) is dynamic upper body day...which means I hit plyo-pushups pretty hard. We'll give it a few weeks and see what happens

Rasto
03-10-10, 9:44 am

Not bad for a workout that almost didn't happen - my daughter woke up crying about 2 minutes before I was going to start my workout...and of course she wanted daddy to rock her back to sleep. Then, just as I was about to start my workout (again) she woke up and asked mommy if she could 'workout' with daddy...So we stretched out together, turned on Bob the builder and worked out.

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
6 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
3 x 3 x 185
Inverted Row
5 x 10 x 185
DB Shrugs
3 x 12 x 60
1 x 10 x 25
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 60
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Rasto
03-11-10, 9:36 am

Awesome workout! - My daughter must be going through a new phase, cause just as I started my warm-up stretches, she was walking down the stairs with a sleepy mommy saying 'I want to workout with Daddy'. So...Deadlifts were done with Waybuloo and Toopy & Bino playing in the background. *grin*

I made 325x3 today - and I think the key was remembering that I was wearing my belt for Deads over 300 pounds. It felt really good. I also happened to have my camera with me today, so I took some video of my lifts - I'm hoping to upload them later today or tomorrow...my 305 lift was a little off, and I realized about halfway through that the left side was short by 10 pounds. (I thank Toopy & Bino for that mistake)

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 5 x 305
1 x 3 x 325
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

sunny_max
03-14-10, 6:26 am
awwww lil girl and daddy's wrkout...thats sooo cute! haha....man bob the builder....i love that show!!....."can we fix it?" lol.....

and dont even get me started on spongebob....lol...

congrats on getting 325 for reps brother...keep it up!

Rasto
03-15-10, 9:16 am
awwww lil girl and daddy's wrkout...thats sooo cute! haha....man bob the builder....i love that show!!....."can we fix it?" lol.....

and dont even get me started on spongebob....lol...

congrats on getting 325 for reps brother...keep it up!

"Can we fix it?" indeed! She hasn't started on spongebob yet...I'm sure in a couple of years though...

Rasto
03-15-10, 9:17 am

Finally hit 225x3 on the bench - Last June was the first time that ever happened, so although it was a huge struggle to get the third rep up, I did it. Also hit 185x10 for the first time since last June. This is very cool because it was in July that I hit 250 on the bench.

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 3 x 225
1 x 2 x 225
1 x 3 x 205
Band Assisted Bench
2 x 5 x 225
1 x 4 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
5 x 3 x 210
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
1 x 10 x 135
2 x 8 x 135
Band Extensions
3 x 10 x 0

Rasto
03-15-10, 9:20 am

We've had a string of bad nights in my household - My daughter has a really bad cough right now, and it's been waking her up throughout the night. This morning I swear she coughed off an on between 4-5:30...(And I usually get up at 5:45 to workout). Decided I wasn't going to workout this morning, and then around 6:00, since I still hadn't fallen back asleep yet - I got up. Should've f*ckin' stayed in bed. On the second set of 135 with squats, I felt something twinge in my back...Finished the workout with some glute ham raises, but I have a feeling I'll be walking funny for the next few days. (And not in the good 'sore from squats' way)

Squat
1 x 15 x 45
1 x 15 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0

sunny_max
03-23-10, 10:50 pm
hows your daughter feeling brother...and hows your back?.....

Rasto
03-24-10, 1:47 pm
hows your daughter feeling brother...and hows your back?.....

Thanks for asking bro - my daughter was feeling better by about Wednesday...she ended up having a fever for the first time!

As to me...dude...*sigh*...sucks...I ended up lying on the couch for 3 days after going to work on Monday! I could barely walk the first 2 days, and by the third, still couldn't sit without pain. I'm back at work this week, and feeling slightly better. Went to the chiropractor/ART guy on Monday and he agreed that I probably had a back strain...He did some adjustments, and some ART (Active release therapy) and said I should be better by the weekend. Haven't touched a weight since last Monday. As to how I strained it - he agreed that if I was getting sick (which I kindof thought I might be) my muscles might've been in a weakened state when I was squatting, and although I wasn't using much weight...it just got strained.

It's funny...this is the longest amount of time I've taken away from the game...and next week I'm on vacation with my wife's family so I don't know if I'll be able to workout for a third week.

Anyways - I'll keep you guys posted.

sunny_max
03-26-10, 6:48 am
good to know the lilttle girls all right......its ok dude.....this rest willl do you good and give soem rest to your joints and back......take the rest....njoy the vacation with your loved ones and have fun......weights will still be there waiting for you when you get back...hit them hard!!!.....get well soon brother!

Rasto
04-05-10, 8:52 am
good to know the lilttle girls all right......its ok dude.....this rest willl do you good and give soem rest to your joints and back......take the rest....njoy the vacation with your loved ones and have fun......weights will still be there waiting for you when you get back...hit them hard!!!.....get well soon brother!

Thanks bro - Actually got this response while I was on vacation (via email on my iPhone), and took your words to heart - didn't touch a weight while I was gone. Felt pretty good hitting the gym this morning...3 weeks of rest...Gonna start slow for sure!

Rasto
04-05-10, 8:54 am

Well - Like I said in the previous post, I was on vacation for a week (after a 2 week lay-off because of a bad back strain). I took it real easy on squats today...just used the bar, and did 5x10. Felt pretty good...I have a chiro appointment tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure he'll 'un-lock' my right hip and that will fix the remaining 'sharp' pain in my lower back.

Anyways - here's the details:

Squat
5 x 10 x 45
Glute Ham Raises
5 x 10 x 0
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 0
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15

Rasto
04-06-10, 9:40 am

Good to be back...Hard on the lungs after 3 weeks though! LOL

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60
Heavy Bag Work
5 x 2mins / 30 sec rest

Bullfrog JJR
04-06-10, 3:44 pm
glad to see you back man

sunny_max
04-06-10, 9:59 pm
good to see ya back at it brother.......
i got that foam roller....finally lol....can you post that link up for me pls for the exercises?

Rasto
04-07-10, 8:02 am
glad to see you back man

Thanks bro - it's good to be back!

good to see ya back at it brother.......
i got that foam roller....finally lol....can you post that link up for me pls for the exercises?

Yeah - Good to be back...hopefully I'm smarter for it!

Here's the link to that PDF:
http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Also - Here's a couple more links I have bookmarked (the more you read...the better):
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/lifestyle/step_up/index.php/2009/02/04/q-and-a-foam-rolling-is-sexy/

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/hurts.htm

Good luck with it!

Funky
04-07-10, 8:05 am
Smart to take it easy after being hurt! Bet after that time off it was like a blessing just to get back in!

Rasto
04-07-10, 9:12 am

Good workout this morn - Felt good to get back doing the plyo-pushups. :-)

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
5 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
5 x 3 x 185
Inverted Row
5 x 10 x 185
DB Shrugs
3 x 12 x 60
1 x 10 x 25
1 x 10 x 50
1 x 10 x 75
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Rasto
04-07-10, 9:14 am
Smart to take it easy after being hurt! Bet after that time off it was like a blessing just to get back in!

Thanks bro - I think being 34 and getting scared by the fact that I couldn't even pickup my 3 year-old daughter because of something I did in the weight room is good education!

And yea - after 3 weeks off of training, it's just awesome to be even getting into the weight room!

Rasto
04-08-10, 9:14 am

Well - Felt pretty good to get this workout done...back is still a little 'stiff' from the back strain that's kept me out of the gym for 3 weeks...however, still managed to pull 2 sets of 5x225. Form felt strong - we'll see how I feel in a few hours when the adrenaline wears off!

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 205
0 x 0 x 0
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

Funky
04-08-10, 9:17 am
Keep working man looks good! That 0x0x0 set is unbelievable you sure you really put that much weight up that many times LOL

Rasto
04-08-10, 2:31 pm
Keep working man looks good! That 0x0x0 set is unbelievable you sure you really put that much weight up that many times LOL

LOL - Good catch...I guess I forgot to hit the Save button before i hit the "Generate workout text" button...I've adjusted it on my workout log app.

Funky
04-08-10, 3:02 pm
Well I thought that was too much weight for any one man to move LOL

Rasto
04-09-10, 9:18 am
Well I thought that was too much weight for any one man to move LOL

Are you questioning my strength levels? ;-)

Rasto
04-09-10, 9:21 am

Good way to end the week - No basketball this week (back probably wouldn't make it for 2 hours of running up and down the court) so I did a conditioning/cardio workout instead.

Changed the push/pull medley a little bit - instead of doing a hand-over-hand pull to get the sled back to starting position, I just dragged it behind me. Figured that would be easier on my back then the hand-over-hand pull.

Have a great weekend guys!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 60lbs

Heavy Bag Work
5 x 2 mins w/30 sec rest

Funky
04-09-10, 11:00 am
Are you questioning my strength levels? ;-)

No way but I find it hard to believe anyone can handle the 0x0x0 set bro just come clean and tell these people you did not really do it LOL

Rasto
04-10-10, 4:38 pm
No way but I find it hard to believe anyone can handle the 0x0x0 set bro just come clean and tell these people you did not really do it LOL

So you're saying 'pic's or it didn't happen'?

Rasto
04-11-10, 9:03 pm
Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 6 x 190
1 x 4 x 190
1 x 4 x 190
1 x 3 x 190
Band Assisted Bench
3 x 3 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
5 x 3 x 210
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
3 x 10 x 135
Band Extensions
3 x 10 x 0

Funky
04-12-10, 8:18 am
So you're saying 'pic's or it didn't happen'?
That's right I better see a bench 0 pounds and you not moving an inch or it did not happen lol

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 6 x 190
1 x 4 x 190
1 x 4 x 190
1 x 3 x 190
Band Assisted Bench
3 x 3 x 225
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 15 x 135
Rope Chins
5 x 3 x 210
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
3 x 10 x 135
Band Extensions
3 x 10 x 0
Looks like you are getting some weight under you again Good Job man!

Rasto
04-12-10, 9:13 am
Looks like you are getting some weight under you again Good Job man!

Thanks bro!

Rasto
04-12-10, 9:15 am

Good workout this morn - Squats are feeling pretty good...although, with just the bar, I'm really not taxing my lower back yet...I figure another week or 2 of this, and I'll start adding weight to the bar again.

Anyone else get knee pain when doing DB step ups or lunges? Seems like when I start adding single leg exercises (like step ups, or lunges) I end up with pain in my right knee...A little bit during the movement, but then when I'm done, I can really feel it.

Squat
5 x 10 x 45
DB Step Ups (4 boxes)
1 x 10 x 0
1 x 10 x 20
1 x 10 x 30
1 x 10 x 40
Box Sit and Jump
3 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 0
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 25
Reverse Wood Chop
3 x 10 x 10

Funky
04-12-10, 9:33 am
You are just getting old LOL I get pain more in the groin or hip area from deep lunges with weight.

Rasto
04-13-10, 9:16 am

So - I used two 40lb DB's instead of the usual 30's for the Push/Pull medley. Wow - the first 2 sets were under a minute, but after that, my legs were dead! LOL...I was on the ground at the end of the last 4 sets sucking air, and wishing I couldn't feel my legs!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Heavy Bag Work
5 rounds @ 2mins w/ 30sec rest.

Rasto
04-13-10, 9:16 am
You are just getting old LOL I get pain more in the groin or hip area from deep lunges with weight.

I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...

Funky
04-13-10, 9:18 am
I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...I'm not getting old...
That's the way Man I am 37 and you will never convince me I am old either! Well I will be in a few days LOL

Bullfrog JJR
04-13-10, 11:52 am
I once heard an interview with Louie Simmons in which he said, and I quote "As long as I'm getting stronger, I'm not getting older". Granted, he is the Godfather of Powerlifting and in his 60's, but it's good advice for anyone.

Rasto
04-14-10, 7:56 am
That's the way Man I am 37 and you will never convince me I am old either! Well I will be in a few days LOL

I once heard an interview with Louie Simmons in which he said, and I quote "As long as I'm getting stronger, I'm not getting older". Granted, he is the Godfather of Powerlifting and in his 60's, but it's good advice for anyone.

That's right boys - I believe in self-fulfilling prophecies - if you think you're getting older, you will. I like Louie's attitude, and I just want to keep getting stronger...I'm definitely in better shape/stronger/better eating habits than in my 20's.

Rasto
04-14-10, 9:13 am

Good workout - Thought of a new way to trash my forearms this morning...using a homeade fat-bar to do inverted rows...

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Plyo Push Ups
4 x 3 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
4 x 3 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
3 x 10 x 185
One Arm DB Row
1 x 10 x 60
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 5 x 80
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 60
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Rasto
04-15-10, 9:02 am

Back to 275 for 3 reps this week..5 reps next week...and keep climbing till I hit my 325x5 again.

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
1 x 3 x 275
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8

Funky
04-15-10, 11:24 am
Do I smell deadlifts in here?/ I love the smell of deads in the morning!!!! Good job man keep it up!

Rasto
04-15-10, 4:19 pm
Do I smell deadlifts in here?/ I love the smell of deads in the morning!!!! Good job man keep it up!

That's right bro - Thursday's are my official dead-lift day! :-) One of the best days of the week for me!

sunny_max
04-16-10, 1:10 am
deadlift sure are fun...you will get there just dnt take it too hard on your back brother.....baby steps haha

P.S that foam roller is amazing......love it!! my back feels really good and all the small lil bitty pauins i had are gone away in just a week of use....definitely gonna be a staple!!!

i do 3-4 sessions in a week....thats good or do i need more?

Rasto
04-16-10, 8:07 am
deadlift sure are fun...you will get there just dnt take it too hard on your back brother.....baby steps haha

P.S that foam roller is amazing......love it!! my back feels really good and all the small lil bitty pauins i had are gone away in just a week of use....definitely gonna be a staple!!!

i do 3-4 sessions in a week....thats good or do i need more?

Thanks bro - Baby steps indeed...

As to the foam roller...I try to use it before my workout during the dynamic warm-up on my upper back and then after my workout on my legs. As to frequency - I'd say 3-4 sessions is pretty good.

Rasto
04-16-10, 9:21 am

Another week in the books - Have a great weekend boys!

Push Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80
Heavy Bag Work
5 rounds @2 mins - 30 sec break

Rasto
04-18-10, 6:57 pm

Good workout considering most of the weekend was spent doing yard-work/cleanup!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 7 x 185
4 x 3 x 205
Band Assisted Bench
4 x 3 x 225
Wide Grip Chins
5 x 5 x 185
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 10 x 150
1 x 6 x 155
Tricep Rope Extension
3 x 10 x 50
1 x 10 x 20

Funky
04-19-10, 8:25 am
Looking good Rasto!

Rasto
04-19-10, 9:13 am
Looking good Rasto!

Thanks bro! Feeling good right now - just gotta find a way to preserve this "after workout glow" :-)

Rasto
04-19-10, 9:15 am

Three huge highlights for me this morn:
1 - Squats are coming along great...I hit 95lbs today!
2 - BSS didn't hurt my knee at all - I think I might've found my single leg exercise.
3 - I had to add my push/pull medley since Tuesday's cardio is cancelled for the summer. (My wife golfs on Tuesday nights, so I have to get to work extra early so I can leave early to take care of our daughter) I was amazed at how much more effort I put into the push/pull's compared to my normal Tuesday! I beat my 'best time' for the 6 reps by 5 seconds in my first set! And I only ended up in the fetal position for the last 3 sets instead of all 6!

Have a great day guys!

Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 85
1 x 10 x 95
Bulgarian split squats
3 x 8 x 0
Box Sit and Jump
3 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15
1 x 10 x 20
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
04-19-10, 9:19 am
Hey you put 50 more pounds on that squat nice. Back feeling good still? Bet you enjoyed doing more than the bar!

Bullfrog JJR
04-19-10, 2:49 pm
what exactly is this push/pull medley you do?

Rasto
04-21-10, 9:28 am

Good workout today - Added dips as a finisher.

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
6 x 3 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
3 x 10 x 185
One Arm DB Row
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 80
1 x 8 x 90
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 60
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
Dips
1 x 15 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Rasto
04-21-10, 9:32 am
Hey you put 50 more pounds on that squat nice. Back feeling good still? Bet you enjoyed doing more than the bar!

Stiff, but not 'sore' to the point where I can't workout. And yeah - I sure enjoyed doing more than just the bar! LOL

what exactly is this push/pull medley you do?

Essentially for the push/pull medley, I take one of those aerobic step things, turn it upside down and throw a couple of dumbells in it. Then I push it along the carpet about 20 feet (the length of my basement) and then pull it back with a rope. I do that 6 times for one set, and then I rest for about 2 minutes. Repeat 6 times!

If you've ever been to EliteFTS's website, they sell a product called the Prowler. I'd love to have one, but don't have the space needed. (They have a bunch of videos of people pushing the Prowler around outside, and then either falling down from the effort, or throwing up...they call it the Prowler flu! LOL)

Here's a link to the upside down step:
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/jason_rastovski/WeightRoom%20Pics/IMG_2232.jpg

Rasto
04-21-10, 9:33 am
PS - I love the push/pull medley cause I think it's a great way to get in shape - And a lot less stress/impact on my body then actual running of sprints.

Rasto
04-22-10, 9:24 am

I smell deadlifts in the morning! :-)

Felt good to hit above 300 again...and 3 reps? Pretty sweet.

Added the push/pull medley to the end of this workout because I'm playing b-ball tomorrow night, so I'm going to cut out the normal Friday cardio/conditioning workout. I will have to find a way to re-add the heavy bag work...

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 3 x 305
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
5 x 15 x 8
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80 (all sets done in under a minute, and ONLY 5/6 ended with me in the fetal position)

Funky
04-22-10, 9:27 am
What back pain!!! Keep it up but be careful do not need any more injury! Nice looking Deads

Rasto
04-23-10, 11:05 am
What back pain!!! Keep it up but be careful do not need any more injury! Nice looking Deads

Thanks dude - I'm trying to walk-the-line between kickin' ass and watching my back.

Funky
04-23-10, 11:43 am
Ride the line just stay right on there cause falling off hurts LOL

sunny_max
04-25-10, 9:15 pm
sory for being MIA bro....been hella busy....but looks like you been putting in some great work...your squats are coming back....deadlifts look great....and i am liking the push/pull medley too!....keep up the good work bro........

Rasto
04-26-10, 9:12 am

Well - Friday's basketball went pretty good...I moved around the court pretty good after being gone for 3 months, and only only felt my back 'tweak' a couple of times when I was jumping. Then I paid for it Sat/Sun/today...I can tell the back strain isn't completely gone, but I'm hoping it's not as bad as before...I worked out today, and we'll see how it feels later. Advil - Here I come!

Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 85
1 x 10 x 95
Bulgarian split squats
3 x 8 x 0
Box Sit and Jump
3 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 10
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Rasto
04-26-10, 9:13 am
sory for being MIA bro....been hella busy....but looks like you been putting in some great work...your squats are coming back....deadlifts look great....and i am liking the push/pull medley too!....keep up the good work bro........

No worries about being MIA bro - the important thing is you're back!

Funky
04-26-10, 9:57 am
Whats happening in here looks like back is still ok!!

Rasto
04-28-10, 9:10 am

Good workout - Definitely got my sweat on!

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
6 x 3 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
3 x 10 x 185
One Arm DB Row
3 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 60
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
Dips
1 x 20 x 185
1 x 14 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Whats happening in here looks like back is still ok!!

Yea bro - The back is 'ok'...I'm taking about 5 minutes everymorning to warm it up by riding the bike, otherwise I can't even really bend at the waist without pain...not sure what I'm going to do with Thursday's Deadlift workout yet! Probably play it by ear.

Funky
04-28-10, 9:25 am
Sounds good. You know if you go off how you feel that morning you should be all good!

sunny_max
04-28-10, 10:08 am
looking good brother......yep you wanan keep it light on the deads and squats....hope your back feels 100% sooon!

Rasto
04-29-10, 9:23 am
Sounds good. You know if you go off how you feel that morning you should be all good!

You know it bro - And I felt wicked this morn after my warmups! (See below for the workout details)

looking good brother......yep you wanan keep it light on the deads and squats....hope your back feels 100% sooon!

Thanks dude - I'd say it's a good 80% and getting better and better. If only I could wake up without feeling like an old man! LOL...(Until I get on the bike for 3-5 minutes that is)

Rasto
04-29-10, 9:27 am

Well - Thursdays are quickly approaching my most favorite workout day...Between lifting heavy shit (like men are supposed to) and killing myself doing the push/pull medley 'finisher' for 6 sets...It's a hell of a workout.

I think I've said it before, but I just read it somewhere the other day, so it bears repeating....There's something about completing a hard workout (especially with an all-out finisher like sled pulling/pushing) that builds mental toughness...I really believe that there's no challenge out there that I can't handle knowing the kind of workout I put myself through...And I think those of you who are reading this share in this knowledge and know what I mean! I think it also builds determination for someone who gets injured but keeps coming back for more! (not just myself, but you other guys who are hurting wrists, elbows, etc.)

Anyways...that's just how I feel 10 minutes after a wicked 60 minute workout on this Thursday! Have a great day guys.

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 5 x 305
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
3 x 20 x 8
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
04-29-10, 9:34 am
From the sound of it you are feeling DAMN good! Got the full on man vibe! LOL
That was some great deads man glad to see your back is feeling that good!!

sunny_max
04-30-10, 10:50 pm
you have to come back for more man.....this sport os addicting haha....

deads are looking real good brother....

hows your lil daughter......bob the builders helper doing lol...

Rasto
05-03-10, 9:25 am
From the sound of it you are feeling DAMN good! Got the full on man vibe! LOL
That was some great deads man glad to see your back is feeling that good!!

I am dude - Feeling DAMN good, DAMN good indeed!

you have to come back for more man.....this sport os addicting haha....

deads are looking real good brother....

hows your lil daughter......bob the builders helper doing lol...

You said bro - I've had the addiction for years, and often wonder why others don't have it...I have a buddy I work with who is trying to lose weight, and he keeps on talking about how he's "trying" to enjoy working out, etc...It's a shame, cause I can see him losing the weight, and then quitting...Me - I'm in it for life!

As to my daughter - She's doing awesome...she turns three later this month, and she's gotten into this phase where she's enjoying 'wrestling' with her daddy! LOL...it's awesome, cause we'll be wrestling around on the ground and she'll be jumping on my stomach...pretty good ab workout! I feel sorry for the rest of my family though! I don't think she realizes yet that she can just jump on everyone!

Rasto
05-03-10, 9:27 am

So - this was Sunday's workout...didn't have a chance to post it, cause directly after my workout, I headed upstairs with my daughter and had supper...The highlight for this workout (and it's a huge highlight) was hitting 275x1 for the band assisted bench...Not sure how much weight the band takes off, but it's the first time I've ever hit 275. (I'm pretty sure I got plastered by it half a year ago) Anyways...275 is my goal weight for my bench for 2010, so hitting it on the band assisted bench gave me a pretty good idea that I'm on the right track!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 8 x 185
5 x 3 x 205
Band Assisted Bench
2 x 3 x 225
1 x 1 x 275
Wide Grip Chins
4 x 5 x 185
1 x 7 x 185
Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 x 225
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 175
Tricep Rope Extension
4 x 10 x 50

Rasto
05-03-10, 9:28 am

Not much to say here....still working on the squats nice and slow...
Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 45
Bulgarian split squats
2 x 8 x 0
1 x 8 x 10
Box Sit and Jump
3 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 10
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
05-03-10, 9:49 am
Nice chest day man. Keep bringing squats up slow it will come remain patient brother!!

Rasto
05-05-10, 9:32 am
Nice chest day man. Keep bringing squats up slow it will come remain patient brother!!

You know it man - building more patience every Squat workout!

Rasto
05-05-10, 9:32 am

Good workout today...

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
6 x 3 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
4 x 10 x 185
One Arm DB Row
3 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
1 x 10 x 60
1 x 10 x 70
1 x 10 x 35
Dips
1 x 20 x 185
1 x 15 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Funky
05-05-10, 9:41 am
I wish I could still do dips I miss them :( Good workout man

sunny_max
05-05-10, 10:39 pm
yeah man it definitely is an addiction...and a good one i tell ya..its fun and i enjoy it.......its sad about your friend that he does it to "just do it"...anyways to wach his own...lol......

thats such a cute story about your daughter lol.....my cuz is 3 years and they are really fun at this age......jumping on abs is a great workout haha...

solid looking chest day brother.....squats are coming up nice and slow...keep it up my man!

Rasto
05-10-10, 8:08 am
I wish I could still do dips I miss them :( Good workout man

Not sure I'm going to keep Funky - The past 2 week s I've done them, there's a slight pain in my shoulder joint...going to give it 2 more weeks, and make the call then!

yeah man it definitely is an addiction...and a good one i tell ya..its fun and i enjoy it.......its sad about your friend that he does it to "just do it"...anyways to wach his own...lol......

thats such a cute story about your daughter lol.....my cuz is 3 years and they are really fun at this age......jumping on abs is a great workout haha...

solid looking chest day brother.....squats are coming up nice and slow...keep it up my man!

Yeah dude - 3 years is awesome! They can express themselves a lot better, etc. And I'm just hoping my work buddy ends up catching 'the bug'. (That's why my buddies from school and I used to call the urge to workout - 'the bug'. I've still got it, 16 years later)

Rasto
05-10-10, 8:09 am

Just catching up on entering in information - My daughter came downstairs that morning, and we ended up having her push/pull the sled, so I ran out of time to log it all!

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 5 x 305
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
3 x 20 x 8
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Rasto
05-10-10, 8:10 am

Great workout - Didn't know how much time I really had since my wife had some kind of stomach flu, and I was working out during my daughter's nap. Turned into a full workout, so I was happy!

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 8 x 185
1 x 3 x 205
1 x 3 x 215
1 x 2 x 215
2 x 3 x 205
Band Assisted Bench
1 x 1 x 255
1 x 1 x 265
1 x 0 x 275
Wide Grip Chins
4 x 8 x 185
Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 x 225
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 40
Close Grip Press
1 x 5 x 165
1 x 5 x 175
1 x 2 x 185
Tricep Rope Extension
4 x 10 x 50

Funky
05-10-10, 8:16 am
Very full workout by the looks of it keep pushing Rasto!

Rasto
05-12-10, 9:02 am

Monday's workout - Got interrupted at the end by my daughter, so I didn't get a chance to log it here. Good workout, although my daughter got a fat lip when she was trying to do the push/pull medley...*sigh*....(She's fine now)

Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
Bulgarian split squats
1 x 8 x 10
2 x 8 x 20
Box Sit and Jump
4 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15
1 x 10 x 20
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Rasto
05-12-10, 9:03 am

Good workout today - Definitely feeling that next week is a 'de-load' week. That's all.

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
6 x 3 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
4 x 10 x 185
One Arm DB Row
3 x 10 x 80
4 x 10 x 35
Dips
1 x 19 x 185
1 x 12 x 185
1 x 12 x 185
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Funky
05-12-10, 9:04 am

Monday's workout - Got interrupted at the end by my daughter, so I didn't get a chance to log it here. Good workout, although my daughter got a fat lip when she was trying to do the push/pull medley...*sigh*....(She's fine now)

Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 65
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
Bulgarian split squats
1 x 8 x 10
2 x 8 x 20
Box Sit and Jump
4 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15
1 x 10 x 20
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Look out back over 100 that more than double in only weeks! Back seems to be healing nice!

sunny_max
05-13-10, 12:20 am
awww poor kid...how is she doing now?

looks like your squats are improving and great bench work bro!

Rasto
05-13-10, 9:14 am
Look out back over 100 that more than double in only weeks! Back seems to be healing nice!
It's definitely healing nicely - See today's workout log for a bit more detail on that!

awww poor kid...how is she doing now?

looks like your squats are improving and great bench work bro!

Thanks for asking dude - She's doing good...only takes her a few minutes of crying, and she's usually ok...Although she did have a pretty fat lip for a couple of days!

And yea- squats, bench...all getting better (see below for today's wrap up)

Rasto
05-13-10, 9:16 am

So, my wife mentioned last night that it's been 2 months since I hurt my back...Seems like it was just yesterday! Anyways, today's plan was to hit 325 for my deadlift reps cause I think my back is pretty close to 90%. I hit 4 reps, and when I looked back at my log from the last workout before my back injury, I had only hit 3 reps! I thought I had hit 5, but turns out, I'm stronger now than 8 weeks ago!

Now, I just need to get rid of that "first thing in the morning" back pain...it goes away after I'm done working out, but if I sit for too long at work, it's back.

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 275
1 x 4 x 325
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
3 x 20 x 8
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
05-13-10, 9:27 am
Nice deads my brother!!

Rasto
05-17-10, 9:13 am
Nice deads my brother!!

Thanks bro - They are getting back to where I want 'em!

Rasto
05-17-10, 9:14 am

So - it's been a while since I 'took it easy' in the weight room, so this week is going to be my official deloading week. Going to lower the volume to about 80% of the normal volume.

(In most cases, it'll be 80% of the previous weeks weight, but in some cases, it'll be easier to do 80% of the reps)

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 10 x 145
1 x 3 x 165
1 x 3 x 170
1 x 3 x 170
2 x 3 x 165
Band Assisted Bench
1 x 3 x 205
Wide Grip Chins
4 x 6 x 185
Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 x 225
DB Curl
3 x 8 x 30
Close Grip Press
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135
1 x 5 x 135

Rasto
05-17-10, 9:15 am

Good workout this morn - like I said yesterday, it's deload week, so I'm trying to lower the volume. (Although, I did decide to use 135 for squats, LOL)

Squat
3 x 8 x 45
1 x 8 x 65
1 x 8 x 95
1 x 8 x 135
Bulgarian split squats
3 x 6 x 20
Box Sit and Jump
4 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15
1 x 10 x 20
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
05-17-10, 9:27 am
Nice deload except you raised those squats to 15 pounds more than before!! Great to see your back is handling it so much better!!

Rasto
05-18-10, 10:18 am
Nice deload except you raised those squats to 15 pounds more than before!! Great to see your back is handling it so much better!!

Yeah - just figured the deload part applies to everything except squats, since I'm just trying to work on form for those! :-)

Funky
05-18-10, 10:19 am
Yeah - just figured the deload part applies to everything except squats, since I'm just trying to work on form for those! :-)

Fair enough you are putting in the work you will be back up in no time bro!!

sunny_max
05-19-10, 12:29 am
what everyones on delaod now? lol i just slept for a day lol......literally haha

i see teh squats are coming up nicely....good work buddy

Rasto
05-19-10, 8:59 am
Fair enough you are putting in the work you will be back up in no time bro!!

You know it - you know it!

what everyones on delaod now? lol i just slept for a day lol......literally haha

i see teh squats are coming up nicely....good work buddy

LOL - Yeah, I saw you were taking a day off...the world keeps spinning though, don't it? And deloads man...when you get older, they're good for ya! (Or, if you're really strong, like I hope to be someday, they're really good for ya!)

;-)

Rasto
05-19-10, 9:00 am

Good workout today - Got a good sweat going, and got the joints moving.

Push Ups
3 x 10 x 185
Touch and Go Pushups
6 x 2 x 185
Fat bar Inverted Rows
4 x 8 x 185
One Arm DB Row
3 x 10 x 60
4 x 10 x 25
Dips
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
1 x 10 x 185
Neck Raises
5 x 10 x 10

Funky
05-19-10, 9:07 am
By any chance do you weight 185 or are you using a machine for dips or adding weight?? Just wondering bro!

Rasto
05-20-10, 9:24 am
By any chance do you weight 185 or are you using a machine for dips or adding weight?? Just wondering bro!

Heh - good question! Basically for exercises like dips/chins, I list my current weight. (which is 183/185 depending on the time of day) That way, when I start adding weight with a dip belt, it won't matter if I've ballooned up to 220 (or drop to 170), I'll still be able to compare #'s. Hope that makes sense!

Plus - I'm a volume whore, and since my workout application lists the 'volume lifted' when I post it to my twitter account, 3 sets of 20 reps of dips at 185 is better than 3 sets of 20 reps of dips with 5 ponds! LOL

Rasto
05-20-10, 9:26 am

Good workout today - although I lowered the deadlift's (the 3 working sets) by about 20%, it was still hard work...I guess as you get stronger, 80% of the load is still high! (not that I'm 'really' strong, but I'm getting there!)

Deadlift
2 x 10 x 135
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 185
1 x 5 x 225
1 x 5 x 255
Ab roller
3 x 15 x 0
Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10 x 0
Ball in Towel Swings
3 x 20 x 8
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
05-20-10, 9:27 am
Heh - good question! Basically for exercises like dips/chins, I list my current weight. (which is 183/185 depending on the time of day) That way, when I start adding weight with a dip belt, it won't matter if I've ballooned up to 220 (or drop to 170), I'll still be able to compare #'s. Hope that makes sense!

Plus - I'm a volume whore, and since my workout application lists the 'volume lifted' when I post it to my twitter account, 3 sets of 20 reps of dips at 185 is better than 3 sets of 20 reps of dips with 5 ponds! LOL

It makes perfect sense I thought that was what you were doing but wanted to know for sure!

You my friend are a volume whore LOL!!

sunny_max
05-22-10, 3:00 am
good work on the deads bro....what you said about the dips does make sense haha...andf yeah we all need deloads...i just sleep for 22 hours one day lol.....j/k

Rasto
05-23-10, 6:13 pm
good work on the deads bro....what you said about the dips does make sense haha...andf yeah we all need deloads...i just sleep for 22 hours one day lol.....j/k

LOL - 22 hours...enjoy it while you can...I can't remember the last time I could sleep past 7:30/8:00 since my daughter was born!

Rasto
05-23-10, 6:14 pm

Re-added the "Week 1" to the end of the workout name...figure it'll be easier to determine when a deload week is required!

Good workout this afternoon - Had the Chicago/San Jose hockey game on in the background...(What can I say - I'm Canadian)

Bench Press
1 x 20 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 135
1 x 8 x 185
1 x 3 x 205
2 x 3 x 215
2 x 3 x 205
Band Assisted Bench
1 x 1 x 255
1 x 1 x 255
1 x 1 x 255
Wide Grip Chins
2 x 10 x 185
2 x 8 x 185
Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 x 225
Close Grip Press
1 x 5 x 155
1 x 3 x 175
1 x 2 x 185

sunny_max
05-23-10, 6:29 pm
lol kids are so much fun...i wldnt mind staying up for em.....i am gonna have like 10 kids lmfao...j/k

that reminds me hows your daughter doing......she doing allright?

strong work on the bench man......its looking real good

Rasto
05-26-10, 9:14 am
lol kids are so much fun...i wldnt mind staying up for em.....i am gonna have like 10 kids lmfao...j/k

that reminds me hows your daughter doing......she doing allright?

strong work on the bench man......its looking real good

Thanks bro - the bench really feels like it's coming along...275 in 2010 for sure!

10 kids eh? LOL - You come talk to me after the first... ;-)

As to my daughter - She's doing awesome...she just turned 3 on Monday (the 24th) and we had a huge party for her in the back yard. Had 18 adults, and 11 kids! We even rented one of those bouncy castles...It was a great time! (And although it did cause me to miss my normal Monday squat workout, my legs got a huge workout from jumping around in the bouncy castle...I have a way of making even 'bouncing around' in a bouncy castle a workout! LOL

You all caught up on your sleep now?

Rasto
05-26-10, 9:16 am

This should've happened on Monday, but with my daughter's b-day party....things were a little hectic. Besides, this week my company is participating in 'corporate challenge' and the first event is Friday - Power Pull! I need to make sure my legs are good to go for Friday, so I think I'll skip the Deadlift workout this week!

(Oh yeah, and for those keeping track - I finally hit 135x10 for the first time since hurting my back a couple of months ago!)

Squat
3 x 10 x 45
1 x 10 x 95
1 x 10 x 105
1 x 10 x 135
Bulgarian split squats
3 x 8 x 20
Box Sit and Jump
4 x 3 x 185
Barbell Russian Twist
1 x 10 x 10
1 x 10 x 15
1 x 10 x 20
Pallof Press
3 x 10 x 0
Push / Pull Medley
6 x 6 x 80

Funky
05-26-10, 9:35 am
1 x 10 x 135 you keep on keeping on man! Great comeback so far on the squats!

sunny_max
05-26-10, 11:34 pm
Thanks bro - the bench really feels like it's coming along...275 in 2010 for sure!

10 kids eh? LOL - You come talk to me after the first... ;-)

As to my daughter - She's doing awesome...she just turned 3 on Monday (the 24th) and we had a huge party for her in the back yard. Had 18 adults, and 11 kids! We even rented one of those bouncy castles...It was a great time! (And although it did cause me to miss my normal Monday squat workout, my legs got a huge workout from jumping around in the bouncy castle...I have a way of making even 'bouncing around' in a bouncy castle a workout! LOL

You all caught up on your sleep now?

awww thats so cute.....happy belated b'day to the lil bob the builders helper!

lol that sounds fun about the bouncy stuff....must have been a workout running after 11 kids......lol i am sure my wife will kill me before i ask her to pop out 10 kids but you get the idea i love kids......they are choooo cute lol

i am well rested thnx for asking man......feels like i am back on schedule...

solid work man...congrats on the squats accomplishment!!