PDA

View Full Version : quick question...deadlift

TheChef
12-08-09, 9:48 am
saw a guy last night at gym do a dead lift with 630lbs once he had a spotter in front of him holding his head and chin up as he went up. what was the benefits to that and should he have had a spotter on either side of the bar?

Sho
12-08-09, 11:11 am
no, its totally unspotted.

live2lift
12-08-09, 11:50 am
I don't think that he should have a spotter on either side of the bar...like sho said deads are a completely unspotted exercise. As for why he would have someone hold his head up, the only thing that I can think of is that maybe he has a tendency to look down when doing deads which would cause you to round your back and possibly injure yourself. Therefore he has someone hold his head up so that he can concentrate on the lift and give himself one less thing to worry about...especially handling that amount of weight.

TheChef
12-08-09, 12:38 pm
k that makes sense i thought maybe it was so he doesn't fall forward but figured maybe there was a more technical reason for it.

IRBS
12-08-09, 12:48 pm
saw a guy last night at gym do a dead lift with 630lbs once he had a spotter in front of him holding his head and chin up as he went up. what was the benefits to that and should he have had a spotter on either side of the bar?

LOL, are you sure this was at the gym and not some wierd sex club??

No, no spotter on the deadlift. That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

TheChef
12-08-09, 12:52 pm
LOL, are you sure this was at the gym and not some wierd sex club??

No, no spotter on the deadlift. That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

i guess asking questions is retarded thanks for the insight into the wide world of weightlifting.

IRBS
12-08-09, 1:29 pm
i guess asking questions is retarded thanks for the insight into the wide world of weightlifting.

LOL, questions always welcomed....the response you want is not always what you will get.

Also, I didnt say anything about the question. My comment was directed at the action.

Cheers,
IRBS

mritter3
12-08-09, 8:39 pm
easy now fellas,lol...it is important to keep your head up while deadlifting and using proper body mechanics, but the deadlift is a raw lift, no spotters needed...probally would have been easier to just yell keep your head up as he was lifting.

BigChrisF
12-09-09, 3:55 am
The only spotting that I have ever thought was necessary was someone standing behind to keep them from toppling over at the top. I've never used one, but it could be useful when pulling off of a box.

Rather than have someone hold his head up, he should just have someone to watch him and give him verbal cues when he starts dropping his head.

Bullfrog JJR
12-09-09, 12:43 pm
Sounds to me like the weight was too heavy. Spotters aren't necessary since you can just drop the weight. You would think that someone that would even load the bar up that heavy would know what they were doing. Maybe he knows something we don't.

Did he hit it? If so, he can do it however he wants. That's a serious pull.