PDA

View Full Version : Can you help with my cut?

g_mau18
12-12-09, 11:40 am
Im 215 pounds with 18-20% bf.

This is my diet right now...

meal 1: Real Gains shake
meal 2: 4 boiled eggs and a cup of oatmeal
meal 3: a tuna sandwich and a p and j sandwich
meal 4: 2 8 oz chicken breasts and a cup of rice
meal 5: a tuna sandwich and a p and j sandwich
meal 6: either a chuck steak or 2 8 oz chicken breasts with a cup of rice
meal 7: real gains shake

What you guys think? I'm 5' 9 and i like to train heavy. Should I just add cardio and keep eating the way Iam? Or should I alter my diet? I would like to keep adding some muscle just get some fat off. Any help would be greatly appreciated

ryan23
12-12-09, 12:22 pm
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with me on this but thats way to much food for a cut at 18-20 percent body fat...that would be to much for a bulk....probably doesnt matter that i am saying this but good luck on your cut..no sarcasm in that statement.......i personally think it is way to much

g_mau18
12-12-09, 12:24 pm
haha i know, this is my bulk diet I would like to see other's inputs on how they would change this up to get a little bit leaner

Kryptonite
12-12-09, 12:58 pm
Cut out the 2 Real Gains shakes and add in an extra whole food meal. Eat only 1-2 egg yolks rather than 4 and stick with chicken breast, tuna, and the occasional lean red meat (not everyday, no fatty cuts like chuck). Add in 85g of romaine lettuce, spinach, or green beans to a few of your meals. Also eat the tuna alone rather than eating 2 sandwitches for 1 meal. That's 4 slices of bread (400 kCals) coming from carbs that you don't need when cutting.

By the way, that's a very impressive bulk diet. I hope you made some great gains with it.

g_mau18
12-12-09, 1:02 pm
Haha 150 To 215 In 9 Months

ryan23
12-12-09, 1:25 pm
that was some good advice...i wouldnt eat any of the p.b.j sandwiches....and if i am reading that right you are eating 2 8 oz chicken breast in a sitting...i would cut that down to 1 8 oz serving but other than that what kryponite said should show improvement and if you stop losing and still want to keep cutting make sure you take the cals away from your carbs and keep protein high

PORTERHOUSE
12-12-09, 2:04 pm
If your looking to cut, I would look in the Keto or Anabolic diet direction. Drop fat and keep muscle. Doesn't get better than that.

g_mau18
12-12-09, 2:08 pm
I dont know man, I just read G diesels powerbuilding article and got a lot of good info. I guess what Im trying to do is not cut but to enter a period of refinement.

ryan23
12-12-09, 2:09 pm
you could try a keto but most of the weight loss is muscle....not enless you are genetically gifted or on gear...i would say keto is no good at perserving muscle just my opinion (and a lot of research could back it)...never know unless you try though it could work for you...an option that may be worth trying...but i would just try and cut back on your current diet and see what happens

Kryptonite
12-12-09, 3:38 pm
Haha 150 To 215 In 9 Months

That's insane! Congratulations. Haha

Kryptonite
12-12-09, 3:45 pm
I dont know man, I just read G diesels powerbuilding article and got a lot of good info. I guess what Im trying to do is not cut but to enter a period of refinement.

Exactly! DO NOT do Keto or the Anobolic Diet. Especially if you tend to interpret a diet routine very literally. G Diesel knows excactly what he's talking about. I was eating 4,000+ calories a day to gain 15 lbs and then I lowered the calories to 3,800, cleaned up my diet, and I lost most of the body fat I gained already WITHOUT dropping any pounds at all. Keep it at 6 meals a day, 2 servings of protein with each meal (~8 oz) so you hit around 50g+ in each meal.

Kryptonite
12-12-09, 3:47 pm
If your looking to cut, I would look in the Keto or Anabolic diet direction. Drop fat and keep muscle. Doesn't get better than that.

VS.

you could try a keto but most of the weight loss is muscle....not enless you are genetically gifted or on gear...i would say keto is no good at perserving muscle just my opinion (and a lot of research could back it)...never know unless you try though it could work for you...an option that may be worth trying...but i would just try and cut back on your current diet and see what happens

I vote for Ryan's response. Anyone else agree?

g_mau18
12-12-09, 4:00 pm
why the hell would I try keto if you lose muscle doin it?

g_mau18
12-12-09, 4:04 pm
and I dont even know what keto is

PORTERHOUSE
12-12-09, 6:37 pm
why the hell would I try keto if you lose muscle doin it?

The whole point of the Anabolic diet or keto with carb ups is to MAINTAIN muscle while burning fat, i don't know what they're talking about man. If you're not trying to cut though, I wouldn't do it. You can cut with carbs too, but I personally prefer the anabolic diet vs. cutting with carbs.

There's a huge difference between cutting and what I think you're looking to do.

Kryptonite
12-12-09, 9:43 pm
and I dont even know what keto is

Don't worry about it... Trust me on that.

msktyshha
12-12-09, 10:52 pm
know your macros and say if your doing 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fat switch it to 50 pro 30 carbs 20 fat, to say drop your calories from carbs by 10% and makeup those dropped calories by up protein 10%. drop real gains shake in meal 7 and the cup of rice from meal 6 and makeup for those carbs in meals 1-4, meaning no carbs in your last 2 meals.

PORTERHOUSE
12-13-09, 12:32 am
Don't worry about it... Trust me on that.

Do you understand how the AD works? You're so quick to shoot it down yet I don't think you understand the whole premise of it. There is more than one approach to weight loss. Some cut down using carbs, others don't. They're both fine and its up to each person to decide which route they want to take. Plenty of pro's use a low carb approach to weight loss, read ox's stable. He asked about cutting, what I told him is a completely valid OPTION for doing so. Plenty of people use a ketosis type diet and have great results. If he isn't trying to cut, I wouldn't recommend it. He can cut with carbs too, whatever works for anyone. But if you use the AD or keto correctly, you will maintain muscle mass while in caloric deficit, thats why the diets exist and so many people use them. Im not going to explain the diet to you, but take time to research man. One of the main points of this forum is to let people know about the many different methods out there. I was skeptical of keto at first but decided to give it a go for my current cut and Im having great results, I personally like it better than cutting with carbs, which is why I tell people about it.

rocky36
12-13-09, 2:29 am
what exactly is your goal? are you cutting down for a show or just trying to stay more lean. depending on what your target BF % is, there could be several options to go with. A good starting point would be taking out the real gains, and starting meal one with whole foods, some egg whites and some kind of fruit like an apple or bannana. also take at least one of those peanutbutter and jelly sandwichs out. only eat one 8 oz chicken breast instead of 2. To help speed up the process you can do cardio, however i would only do light cardio and not HIT. Dont worry about things like Keto if you only want to "refine". just keep it as simple as possible, make sure you are getting all your vitamins and minerals in and drinking plenty of water and obviously keep your protein intake up so you dont lose muscle.

ryan23
12-13-09, 5:01 am
ok well since he asked...There is a different between the anobolic diet and what is called the palumbo diest which Ox followed....Mr. Pasquel made the anabolic diet and even has changed it...I read his first book and skimmed his second (he basically knocked the carb up weekend to a couple hours and released it mostly to sell his supplements)...If you want to know how to do the anabolic diet i can let you know how...not sure about the Palumbo diets macros but i would assume they are the same but instead of a day or two carb up you get one meal a week after the initial two weeks of dieting...i wasnt trying to shot keto down...i have done it before with great result in the fat loss...and i like the pro's but you cant follow what they do not unless you do what they do (roids) nothing wrong with that either..and most pro's who have tried a low carb diet have dropped it (branch,toney, and i am even sure evan has from what i have read on the net cant believe everything you read though so take that with a grain of salt ha)..i am sorry if it offends you but i personally wouldnt go keto not unless he was doing a comp prep and he was six weeks out from his show
Rocky has given some solid advice as well

Kryptonite
12-13-09, 8:37 am
Do you understand how the AD works? You're so quick to shoot it down yet I don't think you understand the whole premise of it. There is more than one approach to weight loss. Some cut down using carbs, others don't. They're both fine and its up to each person to decide which route they want to take. Plenty of pro's use a low carb approach to weight loss, read ox's stable. He asked about cutting, what I told him is a completely valid OPTION for doing so. Plenty of people use a ketosis type diet and have great results. If he isn't trying to cut, I wouldn't recommend it. He can cut with carbs too, whatever works for anyone. But if you use the AD or keto correctly, you will maintain muscle mass while in caloric deficit, thats why the diets exist and so many people use them. Im not going to explain the diet to you, but take time to research man. One of the main points of this forum is to let people know about the many different methods out there. I was skeptical of keto at first but decided to give it a go for my current cut and Im having great results, I personally like it better than cutting with carbs, which is why I tell people about it.

ok well since he asked...There is a different between the anobolic diet and what is called the palumbo diest which Ox followed....Mr. Pasquel made the anabolic diet and even has changed it...I read his first book and skimmed his second (he basically knocked the carb up weekend to a couple hours and released it mostly to sell his supplements)...If you want to know how to do the anabolic diet i can let you know how...not sure about the Palumbo diets macros but i would assume they are the same but instead of a day or two carb up you get one meal a week after the initial two weeks of dieting...i wasnt trying to shot keto down...i have done it before with great result in the fat loss...and i like the pro's but you cant follow what they do not unless you do what they do (roids) nothing wrong with that either..and most pro's who have tried a low carb diet have dropped it (branch,toney, and i am even sure evan has from what i have read on the net cant believe everything you read though so take that with a grain of salt ha)..i am sorry if it offends you but i personally wouldnt go keto not unless he was doing a comp prep and he was six weeks out from his show
Rocky has given some solid advice as well

As you can see there's A LOT of controversy over Keto and AD (There's more than just these 2 posts.). Which is why I recommend you stay away from it until YOU fully understand it and know it will most likely work for you.

Kryptonite
12-13-09, 8:42 am
what exactly is your goal? are you cutting down for a show or just trying to stay more lean. depending on what your target BF % is, there could be several options to go with. A good starting point would be taking out the real gains, and starting meal one with whole foods, some egg whites and some kind of fruit like an apple or bannana. also take at least one of those peanutbutter and jelly sandwichs out. only eat one 8 oz chicken breast instead of 2. To help speed up the process you can do cardio, however i would only do light cardio and not HIT. Dont worry about things like Keto if you only want to "refine". just keep it as simple as possible, make sure you are getting all your vitamins and minerals in and drinking plenty of water and obviously keep your protein intake up so you dont lose muscle.

And from this post you can see that he's agreeing with a few other guys aswell as me who have posted information here for you to follow already. There's no risks in simply cutting down on your eating. It's the best and easiest way to lose weight. Keep this word in mind - MODERATION. That's the magic word.

PORTERHOUSE
12-13-09, 8:57 am
As you can see there's A LOT of controversy over Keto and AD (There's more than just these 2 posts.). Which is why I recommend you stay away from it until YOU fully understand it and know it will most likely work for you.

All I suggested was for him to look into it. No harm in that. If you would just let people express their views and move on maybe there wouldn't be so much controversy. I dont want to split hairs with a 15 year old, all Im trying to say is that the AD works for a lot of people and if he so chooses he can look into it. This thread has gotten way off target, and for what it sounds like he wants to do I wouldn't recommend a keto approach anyways.

Rocky's advice is on target here, and I would have told him something similar, except this thread is titled cut, not refine. but if someone is looking to cut body fat im going to continue to recommend it as an option.

Lets just drop it, I don't even think this guy should do keto, thats more for a serious cut IMO.

LayzieBone085
12-13-09, 9:18 am
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html

These are all you need to read above ^^^^^

And if you are debating body composition about cutting read below:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/body-composition-recommendations.html

/thread

PORTERHOUSE
12-13-09, 9:28 am
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html

These are all you need to read above ^^^^^

And if you are debating body composition about cutting read below:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/body-composition-recommendations.html

/thread

yea thats good stuff man.

widdlewade44
12-13-09, 10:26 am
Diet is at least 70+% of this sport regardless of what you do in it.

What works for one person may not work for others. You need to write things down (i.e. what you ate, when and how much) and you need to read articles, solicit opinion (that is backed what with facts/articles/data; not just hearsay) and continue to educate yourself.

Trying diets out for yourself gives you an idea of how it works (or doesn't) with your body and then you can get advice here from our Pros as to how to tweak your plan.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Kryptonite
12-13-09, 12:45 pm
All I suggested was for him to look into it. No harm in that. If you would just let people express their views and move on maybe there wouldn't be so much controversy. I dont want to split hairs with a 15 year old, all Im trying to say is that the AD works for a lot of people and if he so chooses he can look into it. This thread has gotten way off target, and for what it sounds like he wants to do I wouldn't recommend a keto approach anyways.

Rocky's advice is on target here, and I would have told him something similar, except this thread is titled cut, not refine. but if someone is looking to cut body fat im going to continue to recommend it as an option.

Lets just drop it, I don't even think this guy should do keto, thats more for a serious cut IMO.

There's controversy on Keto and AD because there's controversy, not because I'm "not letting people express their views." I am letting you express your views. They're there aren't they? Mission accomplished, but my views are against yours and it's up to him to choose what he feel will work best for him through our debate. He heard you and he heard me. I know that AD works for a lot of people, but as Ryan has said most people aren't on proffessional supplementation or any form of supplementation at all that can help them maintain their muscle mass.

Rocky's advice was very similar to others aswell as mine, which means that other people do agree with me. And since you also agree with him, you could just say that you agree with me too instead of thinking I'm just a 15 year old kid and don't know what I'm saying or doing. I know exactly what I'm doing and saying, whether you agree with those things or not.

This thread is titled cut, but by cut he meant cut bodyfat while maintaining muscle mass. Either way Keto and AD are NOT the only ways to cut. Lowering (or cutting) your calories was the first way people would cut anyway. The basics are the way to go. I don't see who can disagree with me on that.

Yeah, you're probably right. Thanks for setting the bar straight for us, bro.