PDA

View Full Version : Ace Takes On MSU Weightlifting

TigerAce01
12-13-09, 5:10 pm
This will be my journey for the next six weeks as I use MSU's experimental hormonal modulation weightlifting program.

You can find the full Excel template here : http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting.html

Training begins tomorrow.

-Ace

J Wong
12-13-09, 5:11 pm
yay, I'm in

sunny_max
12-13-09, 9:48 pm
good luck bro...i am in

D-NUTZ
12-13-09, 9:52 pm
Looks interesting, im subbed man!

Necromatrix
12-14-09, 8:35 am
Ready to see what happens. Count me in!

TigerAce01
12-14-09, 6:38 pm
Thanks for the support brothers! You guys keep me accountable, and drive me to give myself fully every single day.

This week is a build up, continuing to a PR match at the end of week 2...then the proverbial shit hits the fan...I feel like I'm tiptoeing to the edge of a cliff...and I'm ready to dive off the fucking deep end.

Power Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 70lbs x 2, 70lbs x 2, 70lbs x 2

Power Clean and Push Jerk - 3 sets x warmup, 105lbs x 2, 105lbs x 2, 105lbs x 2

Back Squat - 3 sets x warmup, 150lbs x 2, 150lbs x 2, 150lbs x 2 (I'll try to get these on camera to show you how deep I squat...there's no room left at the bottom)

Abs - 3 x 15

My shoulders and hamstrings are still sore from saturday, but everything else felt in top shape.

-Ace

Necromatrix
12-14-09, 8:16 pm
Solid way to start things off. Lol...Ass to dirt squats, fuck the grass!

TigerAce01
12-14-09, 8:19 pm
Solid way to start things off. Lol...Ass to dirt squats, fuck the grass!

hahaha I like that, ass to dirt squats, ATDs lmao sounds like a damn nuclear explosive!

Yeah, the first 2 weeks are supposed to be pretty easy...but just wait until weeks 3 and 4...there are AM/PM days with two workouts a day, major squatting, differences in intensity/loads/reps...all in the name of hormonal modulation and strength gain.

-Ace

D-NUTZ
12-14-09, 8:25 pm
Nice Ace! Cant wait to see the "bigger" numbers

TigerAce01
12-14-09, 8:50 pm
Nice Ace! Cant wait to see the "bigger" numbers

Thanks TS, stay tuned!

-Ace

squattingtillipuke
12-15-09, 7:56 am
definately subbed for this...very different ideals in this routine.

sunny_max
12-16-09, 12:52 am
nice work on the ATD's brother......haha ass to dirt is the key.........

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 1:29 am
definately subbed for this...very different ideals in this routine.

Stay tuned brother, we'll see how this unique program works!

nice work on the ATD's brother......haha ass to dirt is the key.........

haha I love that, ATDs...yea, 150lbs was almost too easy, but it was stated that nothing should be changed in the first 2 weeks, and in weeks 3-4, only the weights on squats can be increased. We'll see how everything turns out...it's odd being in such a specifically written out program.

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 2:24 am
Oh, and for those of you who don't know...an American has not won a gold medal in the Olympics for weightlifting since 1960...

-Ace

squattingtillipuke
12-16-09, 8:07 am
Oh, and for those of you who don't know...an American has not won a gold medal in the Olympics for weightlifting since 1960...

-Ace

So what year are you setting this as your goal?

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 1:16 pm
So what year are you setting this as your goal?

Well, my overall goal is to make it to a world event...whether that be the world championships, the Olympics, or another event...but I'm eyeballing the 2016 Summer Games in Rio...

-Ace

GJN5002
12-16-09, 1:19 pm
Good luck man, mad repsect for anyone who is involved in Olympic lifting.

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 1:24 pm
Good luck man, mad repsect for anyone who is involved in Olympic lifting.

Thank you brother...it's just the start, and these are baby steps...but one day I hope to be involved with the elite in the sport.

-Ace

J Wong
12-16-09, 1:27 pm
Thank you brother...it's just the start, and these are baby steps...but one day I hope to be involved with the elite in the sport.

-Ace

Keep at it, and you will!

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 6:32 pm
Keep at it, and you will!

It means a lot to hear that coming from a phenom like yourself boom, thank you.

Today was another build up day.

Hang Power Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 85lbs x 2, 85lbs x 2, 85 lbs x 2

Hang Power Clean - 3 sets by warmup, 115lbs x 2, 115lbs x 2, 115lbs x 2

Romanian DL - 3 sets x warmup, 185lbs x 2, 185lbs x 2, 185lbs x 2

Abs - 3 x 15

After the workout, there was a lot left in the tank...and after all of you guys pushing me to achieve my dream...I would feel like a pussy if I didn't do something at least a little cool. The program is not supposed to be changed, but cardio is allowed...so I decided to throw in a little...

Ford Ranger Truck Pushes - 4 sets of 150 ft, done in 2:13.

I've never done these before, and I must say that they are a new favorite. Not because I like them...but because they really put me outside of my comfort zone...the pump in my quads was unbelievable.

I want to thank all of you that have started this journey with me. It's going to push me to go for new limits, and set new records. The sky is the limit brothers.

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 8:55 pm
Took a sweet pic of my back...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/TigerAce08/bigback.jpg

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-16-09, 8:56 pm

Abs - 3 x 15

After the workout, there was a lot left in the tank...and after all of you guys pushing me to achieve my dream...I would feel like a pussy if I didn't do something at least a little cool. The program is not supposed to be changed, but cardio is allowed...so I decided to throw in a little...

I've never done these before, and I must say that they are a new favorite. Not because I like them...but because they really put me outside of my comfort zone...the pump in my quads was unbelievable.

I want to thank all of you that have started this journey with me. It's going to push me to go for new limits, and set new records. The sky is the limit brothers.

-Ace

page bump

D-NUTZ
12-16-09, 9:02 pm
Ah man. How i miss hang cleans. I love em!

sunny_max
12-16-09, 11:13 pm
Took a sweet pic of my back...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/TigerAce08/bigback.jpg

-Ace

sweet

good luck with national goals brother.....you know we backing you up!!

Necromatrix
12-16-09, 11:25 pm
Solid session, Ace. Good stuff. Lol! Now that is some intense cardio! Sick!

squattingtillipuke
12-17-09, 8:03 am

Abs - 3 x 15

-Ace

NICE DAY here bro...on your 2016 goal, I love it. Set you goals as high as you can but make sure to give yourself some stepping stones to keep your ass motivated as you go.

TigerAce01
12-17-09, 9:34 am
Ah man. How i miss hang cleans. I love em!

Hang Cleans are fun...hang Power cleans are another story...I hate power cleans now that I started squat cleaning haha

sweet

good luck with national goals brother.....you know we backing you up!!

Thanks brother!

Solid session, Ace. Good stuff. Lol! Now that is some intense cardio! Sick!

Yea bro, first time doing truck pushes. It was awesome! haha I might make it my semi permanent cardio.

NICE DAY here bro...on your 2016 goal, I love it. Set you goals as high as you can but make sure to give yourself some stepping stones to keep your ass motivated as you go.

You know it brother...I've got all my short term goals set. 200lbs Snatch, and a 225lbs Clean and Jerk is first...then a 250lbs Snatch, and a 315lbs Clean and Jerk.

-Ace

mritter3
12-17-09, 3:23 pm
looks interesting..im in for the ride.

TigerAce01
12-17-09, 8:03 pm
looks interesting..im in for the ride.

Good to have you along brother.

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-19-09, 12:41 pm
It was an okay day today. I was stupid and stayed up all night with my girlfriend in Orlando, then woke up early to drive 1.5 hours to get to the gym. It was cold, and I didn't warm up for long enough, so my snatches felt awful. I did complete every exercise as prescribed though. Live and learn right?

Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 116 x 2, 116 x 2, 116 x 2

Power Clean - 3 sets x warmup, 135 x 2, 135 x 2, 135 x 2

Split Jerk - 3 sets x warmup, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2 (first time truly using a split for multiple sets/reps, and it turned out pretty well)

Front Squat - 3 sets x warmup, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2 (I really need to increase the weight on squats, I did a 5 second negative with a 2 second pause on the bottom, and it still barely affected me. I will run the program as prescribed though, as weeks 3-4 allow squats to be increased ad lib)

Abs - 3 x 15

-Ace

Necromatrix
12-19-09, 4:32 pm
The main point is that you still got in and got it done. That is some strong work despite little sleep and cold. Great job!

BryanSmash!
12-20-09, 1:12 am
I'm subbed for this one Ace. Good work!

TigerAce01
12-20-09, 1:33 pm
The main point is that you still got in and got it done. That is some strong work despite little sleep and cold. Great job!

Gotta get shit done brother, that's the bottom line. Thanks!

I'm subbed for this one Ace. Good work!

Glad to have you in the passenger seat brother! Week 2 is where the fun begins...

-Ace

BionicMasterPiece
12-20-09, 1:45 pm
It was an okay day today. I was stupid and stayed up all night with my girlfriend in Orlando, then woke up early to drive 1.5 hours to get to the gym. It was cold, and I didn't warm up for long enough, so my snatches felt awful. I did complete every exercise as prescribed though. Live and learn right?

Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 116 x 2, 116 x 2, 116 x 2

Power Clean - 3 sets x warmup, 135 x 2, 135 x 2, 135 x 2

Split Jerk - 3 sets x warmup, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2 (first time truly using a split for multiple sets/reps, and it turned out pretty well)

Front Squat - 3 sets x warmup, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2 (I really need to increase the weight on squats, I did a 5 second negative with a 2 second pause on the bottom, and it still barely affected me. I will run the program as prescribed though, as weeks 3-4 allow squats to be increased ad lib)

Abs - 3 x 15

-Ace

hardcore!

TigerAce01
12-20-09, 5:08 pm
hardcore!

Thanks brother, those squat numbers feel like they should be in the mid 200s, not 150, but the program I'm following is a fully automated template, so I'm trying to follow it to a T.

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-21-09, 2:27 pm
I have raised my squat weights, adding about an average of 40lbs. My thinking is that if I'm not getting a workout with the current weight, how is my squat (my weak point) going to get stronger? Let's get this shit done.

-Ace

mritter3
12-21-09, 3:20 pm
that is the name of the game ace...but you cant be at your best every week, as long as you get thru it and move forward, and get the work in...thats the real test.

Necromatrix
12-21-09, 5:12 pm
that is the name of the game ace...but you cant be at your best every week, as long as you get thru it and move forward, and get the work in...thats the real test.

I concur. Also, I think this "slow start" of the program is going to give you extra oomph when it is time to rip some shit up. If nothing else, from a mental standpoint. You are already chomping at the bit to go heavy. Once "go time" gets here, you will be a beast!

TigerAce01
12-21-09, 6:56 pm

I concur. Also, I think this "slow start" of the program is going to give you extra oomph when it is time to rip some shit up. If nothing else, from a mental standpoint. You are already chomping at the bit to go heavy. Once "go time" gets here, you will be a beast!

Thank you brothers. Today was a taste of things to come, it got a little harder this time around...but it felt great.

Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 105 x 2, 105 x 2, 105 x 2

Power Clean - 3 sets x warmup, 145 x 2, 145 x 2, 145 x 2

Split Jerk - 3 sets x warmup, 170 x 2, 170 x 2, 170 x 2

Squat - 3 sets x warmup, 220 x 2, 220 x 2, 220 x 2

Abs - 3 x 12

This week will be an increase in sets, wednesday being 7, thursday and saturday being 8.

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-21-09, 8:00 pm
After studying the program, I have come to find that weeks 1-2 focus on standard strength movements, ie overhead presses, squats, and the Romanian DL. Weeks 3-4 focus much more heavily on the competition lifts. I would like to get the actual research documents to see the scientific literature though.

-Ace

Necromatrix
12-21-09, 8:44 pm
Solid workout, Ace! I like the progression. This is really an interesting program you are on.

sunny_max
12-21-09, 8:45 pm
nice last couple of sessions dude.....looking fwd to see how the increase in sets plays out for ya........keep killing it bro..

BryanSmash!
12-21-09, 8:47 pm
Nice work Ace! How are those split jerks for reps treating you?

TigerAce01
12-21-09, 8:58 pm
Solid workout, Ace! I like the progression. This is really an interesting program you are on.

It's actually surprising me quite a bit. Every day looks very similar...but everytime I have a sore bodypart, the next session targets something completely different, but with similar exercises. The owner of my gym even commented on how I beefed up in the past couple of weeks...and the workouts don't even feel that hard.

nice last couple of sessions dude.....looking fwd to see how the increase in sets plays out for ya........keep killing it bro..

Thanks brother, I'm really pumped to keep going!

Nice work Ace! How are those split jerks for reps treating you?

To be honest, the first time I did them, it felt very awkward, and I was worried about my bad knee (I blew it out about 1.5 years ago), but I'm getting very comfortable now, and my Tommy Kono knee bands certainly make my knees reeeeally warm and stable. I'm also accentuating the negative portion of the lift, I feel it will help prevent my rotator cuffs from becoming unstable.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
12-23-09, 4:39 am
To be honest, the first time I did them, it felt very awkward, and I was worried about my bad knee (I blew it out about 1.5 years ago), but I'm getting very comfortable now, and my Tommy Kono knee bands certainly make my knees reeeeally warm and stable. I'm also accentuating the negative portion of the lift, I feel it will help prevent my rotator cuffs from becoming unstable.

Right on, way to think it through!

TigerAce01
12-23-09, 7:07 pm
Set increase day. I didn't think the added set would do much, but it zapped more of my energy than expected. Add on top of it that I was tired anyway...you get the picture.

Power Snatch - 3 sets x warmup, 100 x 2, 100 x 2, 100 x 2, 100 x 2

Clean - 3 sets x warmup, 160 x 2, 160 x 1 (I didn't chalk up, so I lost my grip...it tweaked my shoulder a bit too), 160 x 2, 160 x 2

Strict Press - 3 sets x warmup, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2, 150 x 2

Front Squat - 3 sets x warmup, 190 x 2, 190 x 2, 190 x 2, 190 x 2

Back Extensions - 3 x 12

My left shoulder was hurting quite a bit after the cleans, and I was worried I strained my rotator cuff (I've had problems in the past as a competitive swimmer for 5 years), but going into the presses, it wasn't at all painful, meaning that the pain was most likely a spasm caused by the shock of losing my grip. I'll ice down tonight, slap some icy hot on there and recover. I have a morning workout tomorrow, bright and early at 0630...with yet another set increase, and a 130lbs snatch. This is starting to get tough.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
12-23-09, 10:33 pm
Progression is the key though. Nice workout, hope the shoulder feels better!

Necromatrix
12-23-09, 11:00 pm
More solid work, Ace! Hope the shoulder is just a tweak.

Tough is good. Hell, I saw the madness you indured under CrossFit. You got this!

TigerAce01
12-23-09, 11:14 pm
Progression is the key though. Nice workout, hope the shoulder feels better!

That's right brother, just have to keep fighting. I'm sure it'll feel better tomorrow!

More solid work, Ace! Hope the shoulder is just a tweak.

Tough is good. Hell, I saw the madness you indured under CrossFit. You got this!

Oh God, I don't know how my body didn't just break down from CrossFit. I'm glad to be doing what I'm doing now haha Thanks bro! Next week starts the real fun...

-Ace

TigerAce01
12-24-09, 5:28 pm
The tweak on my shoulder turned out to be a lot more today. During my snatches, I felt a pop on the lockout. I attempted the weight again and my left shoulder could not handle the weight. Within a few minutes, my arm was purple and swelling, and my left shoulder was drooping much lower than the right. I was taken to the emergency room, and it was diagnosed as a tear of some kind, whether it be the deltoid or rotator cuff. I need an MRI to get a specific diagnosis.

I'm sorry to disappoint brothers, hopefully I'll be back soon.

-Ace

Necromatrix
12-24-09, 6:45 pm
Sorry hell! An injury is an injury, not a fault. Take care of yourself and you will bounce back in no time. Keep your head up!

sunny_max
12-24-09, 9:42 pm
shit sorry to hear about your injury brother........i hope you get well soon and come back with a bang!!!.....no disappointment here my brother.....injury are just a part of this game....we recover and come back stronger......get some rest and good luck with all your goals man..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

BryanSmash!
12-24-09, 10:33 pm
Shit man, hope it turns out well! Rest up and come back stronger!

Necromatrix
12-30-09, 12:27 pm
How are things going, Ace?

TigerAce01
12-30-09, 4:32 pm
How are things going, Ace?

Well, the shoulder is still hurting, but it's not too bad. I should be back in the gym in a few days, doing exercises that don't compromise my shoulder.

-Ace

Necromatrix
12-30-09, 6:45 pm
Good deal. You know your body, just ease back in the game when you are ready. This is just a speed bump, after this it's full speed ahead!

TigerAce01
01-04-10, 4:10 pm
I should be back in the gym by week's end. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do while my shoulder heals up, and I came to the idea of an intense conditioning/squatting routine. My problem with the MSU program was mainly my conditioning...I couldn't really handle the performing of squats and competition lifts being done at such a quick interval. So my plan revolves maninly around individualization, hybridization, and intensity. I'll be doing a lot of sprints (many variations), weighted and unweighted lunges, truck pushes, high rep squats, low rep squats, plyo movements, and the occasional long distance run. I will also be rehabbing my shoulder with the tools and movements I learned when I injured my right shoulder.

Here's a basic outline:

Mon - Heavy Day (Heavy Squats (4-6 reps), Truck Pushes, other heavy conditioning movements)

Wed - Speed Day (Speed Squats (8-10 reps), Plyos, Sprints, other speed imperative conditioning movements)

Fri/Sat - Conditioning Day (High Rep Squats (15-20 reps), Jog/Run, Lunges, other conditioning movements)

If any day I feel I need a quick or easier workout, I will personalize it for that day. I will add in upper body work as I see and feel fit.

-Ace

Firedrake
01-04-10, 4:49 pm
Lookin' good, Ace -- good luck!

Necromatrix
01-04-10, 4:54 pm
Sounds like a good plan, Ace. Nice variety as well, looks interesting!

TigerAce01
01-06-10, 6:43 pm
First day back, and it felt awesome. I've missed these endorphins!

Warmup - 15 mins of jump rope/plyometrics/treadmill

Squats - 5 sets of the bar x 15, 95 x 15, 135 x 10, 150 x 10, 185 x 10 (all sets were performed ATD style, my boy Necro knows what's up haha felt awesome and explosive, haven't done higher rep squats in months)

5 mins jump rope

5 mins box jumps

4 200ft sprints

The only thing nagging me today was the injection spot from where the ER nurse shot some pain meds when I hurt my shoulder. I did some research and I guess the muscle relaxant I was given is notorious for causing cramps in the injection area. So I warmed up my quads, slapped some Icy Hot on there, stretched it out, and it was all good.

-Ace

sunny_max
01-06-10, 6:51 pm
good to see you back at it brother....ass to dirt is the way to go!!

TigerAce01
01-06-10, 7:29 pm
good to see you back at it brother....ass to dirt is the way to go!!

Thanks brother, feels good to be back!

Squats - 5 sets of the bar x 15, 95 x 15, 135 x 10, 150 x 10, 185 x 10 (all sets were performed ATD style, my boy Necro knows what's up haha felt awesome and explosive, haven't done higher rep squats in months)

5 mins jump rope

5 mins box jumps

4 200ft sprints

The only thing nagging me today was the injection spot from where the ER nurse shot some pain meds when I hurt my shoulder. I did some research and I guess the muscle relaxant I was given is notorious for causing cramps in the injection area. So I warmed up my quads, slapped some Icy Hot on there, stretched it out, and it was all good.

-Ace

Page bump.

-Ace

D-NUTZ
01-06-10, 8:37 pm
Everything is lookin' good ace!

BryanSmash!
01-07-10, 12:00 am
Nice session Ace, glad your back at it! The box jumps must have been a bastard after those squats!

TigerAce01
01-07-10, 12:25 am
Everything is lookin' good ace!

Thanks brother! Feels good!

Nice session Ace, glad your back at it! The box jumps must have been a bastard after those squats!

To be honest, I was absolutely loving it. I was hurting, sweating, and grunting the whole time. Olympic lifting is my calling, but it's dangerous to have a truly intense workout with those lifts, so they rarely ever happen. High rep squats and conditioning movements make for a really intense workout, so it was awesome!

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-07-10, 12:49 am

5 mins jump rope

5 mins box jumps

4 200ft sprints

-Ace

Lol! ATD, FTW!!!!

Great work, Ace! Gotta be psyched to be back in. Have fun walking tomorrow!

BryanSmash!
01-07-10, 2:14 am
To be honest, I was absolutely loving it. I was hurting, sweating, and grunting the whole time. Olympic lifting is my calling, but it's dangerous to have a truly intense workout with those lifts, so they rarely ever happen. High rep squats and conditioning movements make for a really intense workout, so it was awesome!

-Ace

Good deal! Having fun with it makes it all the better!

TigerAce01
01-11-10, 6:36 pm
A lot of emotion tonight brothers. I recently had a falling out with my girlfriend, someone who I really cared and still care about. I wish her the best. Sometimes you have to just zone out and go on a personal Indian Vision Quest...

Warm up, stretching...

Squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 10, 105 x 10...then I kind of just let go

135 x 36

135 x 28

135 x 21

Cool down, stretching...

You know the drill...all squats done full depth, ATD style.

-Ace

D-NUTZ
01-11-10, 7:02 pm
Sorry to hear brother. Stay strong brother. Crazy reps though man! Niceee!

Necromatrix
01-11-10, 10:29 pm
Sick squats, Ace! Your conditioning is going to be through the fucking roof!

TigerAce01
01-12-10, 12:36 am
Sorry to hear brother. Stay strong brother. Crazy reps though man! Niceee!

No need to be sorry brother, as is life! And thanks, everyone thought I was crazy today!

Sick squats, Ace! Your conditioning is going to be through the fucking roof!

I feel a 20 rep squat program coming...

-Ace

sunny_max
01-12-10, 6:36 am
hey man it happens......good luck ...stay strong!.......on a side note those are amazing squats man.....and the rep range...damn!

Necromatrix
01-12-10, 8:45 am
I feel a 20 rep squat program coming...

-Ace

Oh, you will feel it... That is for damn sure. Lol!

TigerAce01
01-13-10, 7:59 pm
hey man it happens......good luck ...stay strong!.......on a side note those are amazing squats man.....and the rep range...damn!

Thanks brother, I can literally feel myself growing...it's incredible.

Oh, you will feel it... That is for damn sure. Lol!

First day on the 20 rep squat program was today!

For this week, I'm sticking to a simple routine, with balls to the wall squats, and light upper body work, basically just going for a pump.

Warm up - jump rope, rotator cuff work, stretching

Squats - 140lbs x 25
-ss-
Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

SLDL - 135lbs x 15

Bench - bar x 10, 95lbs x 10

Behind Neck Press - bar x 10, bar x 10

Cool down - jump rope, lots of stretching

The squats were awesome, they surprised the hell out of me. I was going for 20, but once I got there, I just kept pounding away. Friday will be 150lbs. My shoulder feels awesome, so much that I wanted to really up the poundages, but I kept my ego at bay. I'm not looking forward to how bad my legs are going to hurt tomorrow.

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-13-10, 8:16 pm
Outstanding work, Ace! 25 reps is madness! Yeah, I imagine that is gonna hurt tomorrow, but your conditioning is going to shoot through the roof.

Big Irish
01-13-10, 8:16 pm
It's great to see the progression Bro and the will power it's taken not to go crazy with your shoulder. I know how it is with injuries and trying to make them better before their time. Most of the time I set myself further back then ahead. Patience is a virtue but also a pain in the ass. LOL Keep plugging along my friend.

TigerAce01
01-13-10, 9:08 pm
Outstanding work, Ace! 25 reps is madness! Yeah, I imagine that is gonna hurt tomorrow, but your conditioning is going to shoot through the roof.

I'm using every trick in the book to maximize recovery, including contrast showers, heating pads, intense stretching, and rolling sticks. I really think it's making a difference. And thanks brother! I really wanted to do something crazy and new since my MSU program fell through, so I guess this is the answer!

It's great to see the progression Bro and the will power it's taken not to go crazy with your shoulder. I know how it is with injuries and trying to make them better before their time. Most of the time I set myself further back then ahead. Patience is a virtue but also a pain in the ass. LOL Keep plugging along my friend.

Thanks a lot Big Irish, it does take a lot of self control to not rush things. I know myself, and I know that my injuries take a while to mend, so I'm just chugging along....

-Ace

J Wong
01-13-10, 10:02 pm
ABC Saturday, you thinking about going?

TigerAce01
01-13-10, 10:03 pm
ABC Saturday, you thinking about going?

I'm entertaining the idea haha my brother has a bench meet that day so I might just go an support him...

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-15-10, 7:30 pm
Awesome day today brothers. I woke up with that fire under my ass. I wanted to do something I didn't think I could do. I wanted to push the envelope again, so I did.

Warmups - jump rope, rotator work, stretching

Squats - 3 sets x warmup

185lbs x 20 (absolute full depth, only 1 breath at the top, no rest/pause...I've never done this kind of weight ATD style for this many reps...it was exhilarating)

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

SLDL - 135lbs x 15

Bench - bar x 10, 105lbs x 10

Military Press (switched every rep from front to behind neck) - bar x 10, 55lbs x 10

Cool down - jump rope, stretching

Next week I'll turn it up a notch, we'll see how it works. This is the fastest I've ever seen results from a program, and my recovery is off the hook. My shoulder feels great, and I'll continue to add 5-10lbs each workout.

-Ace

Firedrake
01-15-10, 8:16 pm
Beautiful Work! Amazing pacing, too!

TigerAce01
01-15-10, 9:18 pm
Awesome day today brothers. I woke up with that fire under my ass. I wanted to do something I didn't think I could do. I wanted to push the envelope again, so I did.

Warmups - jump rope, rotator work, stretching

Squats - 3 sets x warmup

185lbs x 20 (absolute full depth, only 1 breath at the top, no rest/pause...I've never done this kind of weight ATD style for this many reps...it was exhilarating)

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

SLDL - 135lbs x 15

Bench - bar x 10, 105lbs x 10

Military Press (switched every rep from front to behind neck) - bar x 10, 55lbs x 10

Next week I'll turn it up a notch, we'll see how it works. This is the fastest I've ever seen results from a program, and my recovery is off the hook. My shoulder feels great, and I'll continue to add 5-10lbs each workout.

-Ace

bump

Beautiful Work! Amazing pacing, too!

Thanks Jim! This shoulder injury was kind of a good thing, it's forced me to really work on my squat, and now it's improving like crazy.

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-16-10, 7:36 pm
Phenominal work out, Ace! Glad the shoulder is recuperating so well.

BryanSmash!
01-16-10, 9:13 pm
nice squattin Ace!

sunny_max
01-16-10, 11:16 pm
solid work brother.....good work on squats!!

TigerAce01
01-17-10, 2:51 am
Phenominal work out, Ace! Glad the shoulder is recuperating so well.

Thanks brother! I'm really surprised about the shoulder, I think the Flex is doing it's job! ...or I'm just not rushing shit for once haha

nice squattin Ace!

Much appreciated Bryan, just trying to keep progressing!

solid work brother.....good work on squats!!

That's the name of the game in the 20 reps program! Thanks bro!

-Ace

squattingtillipuke
01-18-10, 8:06 am
Ace - great job in here, making some big strides. Keep up the good work!!

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 1:57 pm
Ace - great job in here, making some big strides. Keep up the good work!!

I really appreciate it brother, thank you! I really want to continue improving, and come back stronger for when my injury heals.

-Ace

widdlewade44
01-18-10, 2:00 pm
Looking good brother, nice squating. Good luck with healing up; seems as though you're on the right track, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 6:38 pm
Looking good brother, nice squating. Good luck with healing up; seems as though you're on the right track, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks brother, it's healing up nicely!

It was a great workout today other than an "equipment malfunction" haha I decided to wear my belt a little lower than usual, and some intense pinching occurred during my squats. Basically, because I squat so low, my knees end up above my hips, causing the skin to fold up, so the belt just crushed it. Live and learn right? Other than that, I upped the intensity.

Warmup - elipitical, jump rope, rotator work, stretching

Squats - 3 sets x warmup,

195lbs x 18...I knew I could have gotten the 20 if it wasn't for the belt. On the 18th rep, it felt like someone was tearing my flesh off, so I decided to rack it. I did immediately take off the belt and bang out 2 more reps, but I don't count it.

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20 (if you were wondering, you are supposed to maintain the same light weight throughout the program, the pullovers and SLDLs are designed as small accessory exercises)

SLDL - 135lbs x 15 (same with this exercise)

Bench - bar x 10, 95lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 (felt awesome, no shoulder crunching/grinding/pain at all)

Bent Over Row - bar x 12, 95lbs x 12, 135lbs x 12

Military Press, switched between front and behind neck every rep - bar x 10, 65lbs x 10, 70lbs x 10

Overall, it felt like a good day, wednesday I'll be aiming for 20+ reps @ 195lbs...

Necromatrix
01-18-10, 7:43 pm
Great work, Ace!

Wow, man, are you trying to inovate squats or what? First ATD, now Hellraiser squats... Flesh tearing and what-not. All you need is Pinhead and some meathooks.

BryanSmash!
01-18-10, 7:48 pm
Good squattin Ace! Glad that shoulder is feelin better too!

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 7:57 pm
Great work, Ace!

Wow, man, are you trying to inovate squats or what? First ATD, now Hellraiser squats... Flesh tearing and what-not. All you need is Pinhead and some meathooks.

LMAO!! I'm sure I can locate some meathooks...I'll just stick them into my calves and slap some tension bands on there to connect it to the wall...I'm sure that would make my squats a lil more hardcore hahahahaha thanks brother!

Good squattin Ace! Glad that shoulder is feelin better too!

I'm really excited to be this close to 200lbs x 20 already, I didn't expect to improve this rapidly, so it's going really well. Thanks for the support bro!!

-Ace

D-NUTZ
01-18-10, 9:06 pm
Looks like a good workout Ace! Nice.

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 11:08 pm
Looks like a good workout Ace! Nice.

It felt really nice to put some pies on the bar for bench and rows brother!! Thanks!

-Ace

J Wong
01-18-10, 11:14 pm
Ahh squatting multiple times a week I see... I have been doing a lot of that as well.

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 11:20 pm
Ahh squatting multiple times a week I see... I have been doing a lot of that as well.

Cheeeea bro, not as intense as Smolov, but still kills you by the end haha How's your cycle going?

-Ace

J Wong
01-18-10, 11:28 pm
Cheeeea bro, not as intense as Smolov, but still kills you by the end haha How's your cycle going?

-Ace

Awesome. My squats are feeling way stronger already. Hopefully I get a big PR on February 6th for my max test.

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 11:35 pm
Awesome. My squats are feeling way stronger already. Hopefully I get a big PR on February 6th for my max test.

I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye on your thread. I don't plan on doing Smolov anytime soon, but if at some point down the road I feel I'm ready, I'll at least have a blueprint you know? But you improve at such at improbably rate, I don't think many people could base their results on yours...

-Ace

J Wong
01-18-10, 11:59 pm
I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye on your thread. I don't plan on doing Smolov anytime soon, but if at some point down the road I feel I'm ready, I'll at least have a blueprint you know? But you improve at such at improbably rate, I don't think many people could base their results on yours...

-Ace

I don't want to hijack your log with a huge convo, but 35-40 lb PRs from the base mesocycle is actually quite typical among people that have ran it..so I guess people could base their results off of that.

TigerAce01
01-20-10, 3:04 pm
I'm not training tonight brothers, my bad knee is pretty stiff and sore, so I'm going to listen to it and not push an injury like I did with my shoulder. I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough on sun/mon and that effected my recovery in a pretty big way. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and try to switch my wed/fri days to thurs/sat.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!

-Ace

Firedrake
01-20-10, 3:58 pm
Rest it up and feel better soon!

TigerAce01
01-21-10, 8:10 pm
The knee was feeling good today, so I went for it. It turned out to be a great day.

Warmup - elipitical, box jumps, stretching

Squats - bar x 10, 95lbs x 10, 135lbs x 5 (I felt that last time I spent myself just a little bit much on the warmups, so I kept the last set far away from failure)

195lbs x 20...got that bitch! This was pure heart and determination by the end...just what a 20 rep squat set should be...

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

SLDLs - 145lbs x 15

Bench - bar x 10, 95lbs x 10, 145lbs x 10 (the shoulder felt great, and now I'm starting to get into working sets...)

Pullups - BW x 10, BW x 10

Cooldown - rotator work, stretching

I left out the military presses because I went heavier on bench. I'm thinking about switching to a twice a week split, swapping out a couple of different exercises after the squats, pullovers, and SLDLs. Now it's time for a half gallon of whole milk and an ice cold shower...

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-22-10, 3:25 am
Sick! Great work, Ace. Nice progression.

squattingtillipuke
01-22-10, 7:58 am
Nice solid workout...hit the major groups and recoup.

BryanSmash!
01-22-10, 10:58 am
Great work on those squats Ace, really getting up there!

TigerAce01
01-22-10, 1:44 pm
Sick! Great work, Ace. Nice progression.

Thanks brother, this is my favorite program ever, I've never seen these kinds of gains before!

Nice solid workout...hit the major groups and recoup.

That's the name of the game bro! The squats are the main focus. In this program, even if all you complete are the squats and pullovers, that's fine...the other exercises are just icing on the cake.

Great work on those squats Ace, really getting up there!

Bodyweight x 20 next week!! Thanks brother!

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-22-10, 8:11 pm
Since yesterday was a super high carb day (around 600g), today was my first low carb day in a while...and fuuuuck am I exhausted.

Basically, because my workouts are becoming so strenuous, I allow myself to eat as many carbohydrates as my body can handle (on top of my regular protein and fat intake) on workout days. I don't want to gain a lot of body fat, so I cycle the carbs, and follow my workout days with a very low carb day (basically from veggies and PB only) and then follow that with medium days until my next workout day. On the low carb days, I increase healthy fats with EVOO and PB.

Any comments on the technique?

-Ace

Firedrake
01-22-10, 8:52 pm
Great work yesterday! I love what 20-rep squats can do, even if I'm not loving 'em so much while I'm doing 'em. <grin>

As for the carb cycling. It's not something that would work for me, but if it's doing good things for you, I understand it CAN work if your metabolism's right.

TigerAce01
01-22-10, 9:01 pm
Great work yesterday! I love what 20-rep squats can do, even if I'm not loving 'em so much while I'm doing 'em. <grin>

As for the carb cycling. It's not something that would work for me, but if it's doing good things for you, I understand it CAN work if your metabolism's right.

Thanks Jim! Yea, the program is really changing my body, it's incredible!

Now for the carbs, I'm not doing it to lose weight or anything, I just don't want to overdo the bulk like I've done in the past. My main concern is getting in enough calories and carbs for the 20 rep squats, which are getting pretty heavy for me now. My thinking was that after a day of a steady full blown insulin release and a liver stocked full of glycogen that a low carb day would help to bring my blood sugar levels down and prevent fat gain, but with the increase in protein and healthy fats I would still recover just fine, especially seeing as it's only for 1 day...do my thoughts hold water or am I selling myself short?

-Ace

Firedrake
01-22-10, 9:03 pm
Thanks Jim! Yea, the program is really changing my body, it's incredible!

Now for the carbs, I'm not doing it to lose weight or anything, I just don't want to overdo the bulk like I've done in the past. My main concern is getting in enough calories and carbs for the 20 rep squats, which are getting pretty heavy for me now. My thinking was that after a day of a steady full blown insulin release and a liver stocked full of glycogen that a low carb day would help to bring my blood sugar levels down and prevent fat gain, but with the increase in protein and healthy fats I would still recover just fine, especially seeing as it's only for 1 day...do my thoughts hold water or am I selling myself short?

-Ace

The notion sounds good to me -- but I'm not as skilled as some of our other brothers in this area.

TigerAce01
01-22-10, 9:04 pm
The notion sounds good to me -- but I'm not as skilled as some of our other brothers in this area.

Thanks brother! I'll probably hit up Vinny or someone else who carb cycles to get more info!

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-23-10, 7:23 pm
Did some conditioning work today. My dad is leaving for Kuwait on Monday, so this was the last time I could go to the gym with him. Wasn't planned really, just did it on the fly. This was done on an empty stomach, all after a full day of only trace carbs...talk about exhausted...

Steady state cardio - 15 mins @ 3.5 mph

5 rounds of -

Jump Rope 30sec
95lbs squat clean and press into back squat : 5 reps

Quick, simple, but pretty rough, especially seeing as it was a scheduled off day...meh, whatever.

-Ace

shizz702
01-23-10, 8:34 pm
Ace how's the weightlifting going for you?

Digging that 20 rep squat set! I am particularly familiar with those at the moment since I just did a cycle of them myself, finished with 225. You hit the nail on the head with it being all heart, people just don't understand the pain threshold and persistence it takes to do an honest 20 repper! By doing it you truly do gain total control and focus over the mind and body.

Bout the diet, sounds like a solid approach. There is something you can do called Timed Carb Dieting, in which you only plan your carbs around workout days, for obvious reasons, and keep them low on off days. By doing that you will stay lean, and still preserve the muscle, and continue to gain.

Me personally I low carb Mon-Fri, and carb up Sat Sun, works really well for me. Keeps me lean, I still continue to make strength gains.

Here's a good read by Iron Addict on this kind of dieting: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3398

Stick with it and just tweak things as you get more in tune with your body.

BionicMasterPiece
01-23-10, 8:39 pm
Did some conditioning work today. My dad is leaving for Kuwait on Monday, so this was the last time I could go to the gym with him. Wasn't planned really, just did it on the fly. This was done on an empty stomach, all after a full day of only trace carbs...talk about exhausted...

Steady state cardio - 15 mins @ 3.5 mph

5 rounds of -

Jump Rope 30sec
95lbs squat clean and press into back squat : 5 reps

Quick, simple, but pretty rough, especially seeing as it was a scheduled off day...meh, whatever.

-Ace

cardio rules! haha

BryanSmash!
01-23-10, 8:49 pm
Looks like a fun complex, especially on little carbs. Good work! Also, good luck to your Dad!

TigerAce01
01-23-10, 10:09 pm
Ace how's the weightlifting going for you?

Digging that 20 rep squat set! I am particularly familiar with those at the moment since I just did a cycle of them myself, finished with 225. You hit the nail on the head with it being all heart, people just don't understand the pain threshold and persistence it takes to do an honest 20 repper! By doing it you truly do gain total control and focus over the mind and body.

Bout the diet, sounds like a solid approach. There is something you can do called Timed Carb Dieting, in which you only plan your carbs around workout days, for obvious reasons, and keep them low on off days. By doing that you will stay lean, and still preserve the muscle, and continue to gain.

Me personally I low carb Mon-Fri, and carb up Sat Sun, works really well for me. Keeps me lean, I still continue to make strength gains.

Here's a good read by Iron Addict on this kind of dieting: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3398

Stick with it and just tweak things as you get more in tune with your body.

Thanks a TON Shizz, I appreciate it!! The Oly lifts took a back seat after I tore up my shoulder pretty bad about a month ago. I've had lots of rotator cuff problems because I was a swimmer for so many years when I was younger...just something I have to deal with and work around. But everything is coming back nicely!!

cardio rules! haha

Cardio sucks haha

Looks like a fun complex, especially on little carbs. Good work! Also, good luck to your Dad!

Yea, it was just a little something thrown in, thanks! And I'll be sure to tell him! He's done plenty of tours in the Army, but now he's got a contracting job, so at least he's not in a direct line of AK fire haha

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-25-10, 6:34 pm
Great day for squats, but that's about it. On the bench, I felt my shoulder tense and crack a little, so I did my rotator work and cool down and got my ass out.

Warm up - 5 mins bike, stretching

Squats - bar x 10, 95lbs x 10, 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 5

200lbs x 20

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

SLDLs - 155lbs x 15

Bench - bar x 10, 95lbs x 7 (felt the tweak here and said fuck it)

Cool down - rotator work, stretching

I think the complex on saturday fucked with my shoulder. Too early to be fucking with CJs, which pisses me off. It will be squats and squats only for the rest of the week, I'm not going to be stupid about this injury.

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-25-10, 7:04 pm
Actually, it'll be squats, pullovers, and SLDLs, the core of the program. None of that is bothering me lol hope everyone is doing well!!

-Ace

BryanSmash!
01-25-10, 10:06 pm
Nice squats Ace, also good job of listening to the body!

squattingtillipuke
01-26-10, 8:06 am
very nice job on the squats.

Listen to your body Ace, don't be stupid like me and end up in surgery 3 months later because you didn't listen to the twinges and grinds...Hell I've never laughed so hard going through rehab struggling to do a front db lift with 5lbs and my arm shaking like I was pulling up 40's.

I will tell you this that to this day I can Incline BP with a barbell but once I go flat I have a lot of trouble with my shoulder still so I try to focus on db's as much as possible. I know your on a program but if you can alter it to db's it might be worth a try.

TigerAce01
01-26-10, 1:09 pm
very nice job on the squats.

Listen to your body Ace, don't be stupid like me and end up in surgery 3 months later because you didn't listen to the twinges and grinds...Hell I've never laughed so hard going through rehab struggling to do a front db lift with 5lbs and my arm shaking like I was pulling up 40's.

I will tell you this that to this day I can Incline BP with a barbell but once I go flat I have a lot of trouble with my shoulder still so I try to focus on db's as much as possible. I know your on a program but if you can alter it to db's it might be worth a try.

Really the 20 rep squat program revolves around the 20 reps squats, and the pullovers...other than that, anything can be changed. I was thinking of trying a circuit of dips, chins, and sit ups next week, since none of those exacerbate the problems with my rotators.

I'm learning everyday! Thanks brother!

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-26-10, 1:10 pm
Nice squats Ace, also good job of listening to the body!

Thanks Bryan, hope you're doing well!

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-27-10, 5:07 pm
Great work as always, Ace! Damn sure got heart to pull that many reps at 200. Outstanding.

TigerAce01
01-27-10, 8:14 pm
Great work as always, Ace! Damn sure got heart to pull that many reps at 200. Outstanding.

For some odd reason, today's actually felt easier! haha I think I ate more calories today, and it was phenomenal. I really need to start waking up earlier on my late days in order to eat more, because it's those days that I feel my recovery sucks.

It was an awesome night tonight, the squats went up smooth with perfect form. I warmed up a little longer tonight, and it was absolutely perfect. Now that I know how to do it, I'll keep it up.

Warmup - bike, rotator work, stretching

Squats - bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 5

205lbs x 20

-ss-

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

Lateral raises - 20lbs x 15, 20lbs x 15

Front raises - 20lbs x 15, 20lbs x 15

Rear delt raises - 20lbs x 15

Cooldown - rotator work, stretching

I did the light delt work to basically just pump blood into the joints and work the rotators a little. Felt great and had no pain. The squats were pretty much the best so far, I think I could have done 210 x 20, but I didn't want to pad my ego. If I keep up at this rate, I'll be ending with 250lbs x 20...that used to be my 3 rep max...that is INSANE to think about.

In other news, I'm probably competing in the RAW United meet on April 10th. It was scheduled for March, but it was moved up. I really just want to get back in competition, and since my plans for Oly lifting are on hold right now, powerlifting is my focus.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
01-27-10, 8:18 pm
Nice squats Ace! Are you going to do a full meet?

TigerAce01
01-27-10, 8:19 pm
I plan to do full power, yeah. Which means I really need to work on my bench haha but I've got plenty of time to train, especially since I prefer short 6 week training cycles.

-Ace

J Wong
01-27-10, 10:07 pm
So it looks like we will be competing at the same meet!

TigerAce01
01-27-10, 10:13 pm
Which means I'm going to cut down to 198lbs so you don't kick my ass!! haha

-Ace

J Wong
01-27-10, 10:19 pm
Which means I'm going to cut down to 198lbs so you don't kick my ass!! haha

-Ace

Different categories, so you can stay in the 220s haha

TigerAce01
01-27-10, 10:28 pm
Different categories, so you can stay in the 220s haha

Oh yeah, RAW United doesn't have the 18-21 category, they have a 20-24 category. Nice haha

-Ace

J Wong
01-27-10, 10:35 pm
Oh yeah, RAW United doesn't have the 18-21 category, they have a 20-24 category. Nice haha

-Ace

Yep... I wish there was an open category for all ages you could go into like other federations. Any goals for this meet, or any future training routines for the meet?

TigerAce01
01-28-10, 12:17 am
Yep... I wish there was an open category for all ages you could go into like other federations. Any goals for this meet, or any future training routines for the meet?

I actually wanted to ask you for your help in coming up with a 5/3/1 program. My goals are a 405lbs squat, 450lbs dead, and a 250lbs bench. I've come to terms with the fact that my bench sucks hahaha

-Ace

J Wong
01-28-10, 4:26 pm
I actually wanted to ask you for your help in coming up with a 5/3/1 program. My goals are a 405lbs squat, 450lbs dead, and a 250lbs bench. I've come to terms with the fact that my bench sucks hahaha

-Ace

Well what are your maxes now? I have never ran a full on 5/3/1 program, but many people have with great results. I could easily help you set one up.

TigerAce01
01-28-10, 5:17 pm
Well what are your maxes now? I have never ran a full on 5/3/1 program, but many people have with great results. I could easily help you set one up.

I plan on testing my maxes after my 20 rep squat cycle, which will be around the 20th. On a 1RM calculator, my max squat is estimated at 420lbs, but there's a big difference between 20 reps and 1 rep, so we'll see. The other two, I'm not sure on, maybe somewhere around a 225 bench and 405 dead? I would love to run a 6 week cycle of 5/3/1 with a 1-2 week taper for the meet, I've seen lots of guys get very strong.

-Ace

J Wong
01-28-10, 5:20 pm
Yeah, it is a good think the meet got moved to April 10th... it added 2 weeks to my training! April 10th is a good date for you as well since you will be able to run 5/3/1 for 2 cycles.

GJN5002
01-28-10, 5:24 pm
looking strong man, keep it up

Firedrake
01-28-10, 6:09 pm
Great work, Ace -- take care of the shoulder -- they're a bitch to rehab. Squats are looking solid.

TigerAce01
01-28-10, 6:53 pm
Yeah, it is a good think the meet got moved to April 10th... it added 2 weeks to my training! April 10th is a good date for you as well since you will be able to run 5/3/1 for 2 cycles.

I'll shoot you a PM once I test my 1RM. I might even cut the 20 rep program a couple weeks short so I can run 5/3/1 correctly for 8 weeks. And yeah, April 10th seems to be working out better for everyone! haha

looking strong man, keep it up

Thanks brother!

Great work, Ace -- take care of the shoulder -- they're a bitch to rehab. Squats are looking solid.

Doing what I can at this point. It's not bad at all, I just don't want it to get back to that point. Thanks a lot Jim!

-Ace

TigerAce01
01-29-10, 7:46 pm
I want to start 5/3/1 soon to prepare for the meet in April, so I decided to test my working max tonight. Basically, I fatigued myself first so I could get a very liberal 1RM.

Warmup - bike, stretching

Squats - bar x 5, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 5, 210lbs x 15

225 x 1

275 x 1

315 x 1

350 x 1

375 x 1

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

Cooldown - stretching

I'm pretty sure I could have hit 405lbs easily if I hadn't pre exhausted myself, but 375lbs might be what I base my 5/3/1 off of, not 90% of 375lbs. I'll test my other 1RM next week.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
01-29-10, 8:47 pm
Nice squattin once again Ace!

TigerAce01
01-29-10, 9:19 pm
I want to start 5/3/1 soon to prepare for the meet in April, so I decided to test my working max tonight. Basically, I fatigued myself first so I could get a very liberal 1RM.

Warmup - bike, stretching

Squats - bar x 5, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 5, 210lbs x 15

225 x 1

275 x 1

315 x 1

350 x 1

375 x 1

Pullovers - 25lbs x 20

Cooldown - stretching

I'm pretty sure I could have hit 405lbs easily if I hadn't pre exhausted myself, but 375lbs might be what I base my 5/3/1 off of, not 90% of 375lbs. I'll test my other 1RM next week.

-Ace

bump

btw, these lifts were done with a belt and tommy kono knee sleeves (non supportive, just there to keep the knees warm).

Nice squattin once again Ace!

Thanks brother! It's gonna be nice hitting that 405 RAW!

-Ace

J Wong
01-29-10, 10:43 pm
Nice, if you feel you could hit 405 lbs tonight, you could squat more then your goal of 405 at the meet!

TigerAce01
01-29-10, 10:52 pm
Nice, if you feel you could hit 405 lbs tonight, you could squat more then your goal of 405 at the meet!

It blew me away brother, I definitely think this meet is going to be awesome...I'm testing all of my other lifts next week, so I'll PM you once I get the numbers, then we can set up the 5/3/1, cool? Thanks a lot for the help brother!

-Ace

Necromatrix
01-31-10, 4:34 am
Sick squat work, Ace! Gonna take that meet by storm!

TigerAce01
01-31-10, 6:29 pm
Sick squat work, Ace! Gonna take that meet by storm!

I'm just hoping to hit some big PRs brother! We'll see how my other 1RMs are this week, then I'll have an idea of where I can be in April.

-Ace

widdlewade44
01-31-10, 6:34 pm
Nice work Ace, big things are due come April brother, good luck, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

TigerAce01
01-31-10, 6:41 pm
Nice work Ace, big things are due come April brother, good luck, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks a lot widdlewade! I just want to keep getting stronger!

-Ace

squattingtillipuke
02-01-10, 7:54 am
Very Nice job bro...I see some major gains coming for you in the 531!!

TigerAce01
02-01-10, 6:29 pm
Very Nice job bro...I see some major gains coming for you in the 531!!

Thanks brother! I really hope so!

1RM bench day...

Warm up - bike, lots of rotator work and stretching

Bench - bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 185lbs x 3

205lbs x 1

225lbs x 1

250lbs x 1

260lbs x 1

Cool down - rotator work, stretching

Everything was awesome today, this is the heaviest I have ever benched in my entire life. Something just clicked today. I found a grip that put no pressure on my shoulder, and my back just stayed extremely tight through the whole movement, something that's never happened before. I will say this now...the 20 rep squat program flat out WORKS. I didn't believe it would have these kinds of effects on my entire body...incredible. At this rate, I could be benching close to 300lbs at the meet.

-Ace

J Wong
02-01-10, 10:11 pm
LOL and you told me you were aiming for a 250 bench at the meet.

TigerAce01
02-01-10, 10:37 pm
I know right? Talk about low expectations haha I think these next training cycles are really going to push me where I've wanted to be for years...everything is just falling into place.

-Ace

J Wong
02-01-10, 10:56 pm
I know right? Talk about low expectations haha I think these next training cycles are really going to push me where I've wanted to be for years...everything is just falling into place.

-Ace

Yeah man, can't wait to compete with you in April. I hope the turnout for this meet is awesome.

TigerAce01
02-01-10, 11:03 pm
Yeah man, can't wait to compete with you in April. I hope the turnout for this meet is awesome.

Spero has been saying it's always a great meet with a great atmosphere, so I'm extremely excited. And I can't wait to see your fucking numbers, I know you're bringing your A game as usual. My brother might even lift depending on how his back heals up...we'll have a 3 man Animal Pak team haha But honestly, it'll be a pretty big moment to finally compete...it's been a long time coming...

-Ace

Necromatrix
02-01-10, 11:16 pm
Outstanding work, Ace! Very impressive. At this rate you will hit 300 on bench, easy.

TigerAce01
02-01-10, 11:33 pm
Outstanding work, Ace! Very impressive. At this rate you will hit 300 on bench, easy.

Thanks you brother! That's my new goal...

Set Goal + Achieve Goal + Set New Goal = Constant Growth

-Ace

BryanSmash!
02-02-10, 12:28 am
Thanks you brother! That's my new goal...

Set Goal + Achieve Goal + Set New Goal = Constant Growth

-Ace

Good formula!

TigerAce01
02-03-10, 6:22 pm
Good formula!

I dig it haha

Another 1RM day today, deadlift. Felt amped up and ready to go.

Warmup - bike, stick twists, stretching

Deadlift - bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 225lbs x 3, 315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

410 x 1

Cooldown - stretching

Awesome day today. Another career PR in the books, and today was only the second time in my life I've pulled 405lbs. 405 went up easy, but 410 was quite difficult. Spero said he would have contemplated on red lighting me, but most other divisions it would have been white lights. I have some real problems with my technique though...the Olympic lifts have severely changed my form...I had my legs wider than I should have, the bar was behind my shoulders, I popped my lean back...it needs work. Spero said I very well could have pulled 450lbs today if my technique was on point.

-Ace

BryanSmash!
02-03-10, 7:14 pm
Nice pullin Ace! Get that technique down and you poundage will skyrocket. This is especially true in the deadlift.

TigerAce01
02-03-10, 7:24 pm
Nice pullin Ace! Get that technique down and you poundage will skyrocket. This is especially true in the deadlift.

Absolutely brother, my body is just used to the Oly form I worked so hard on. A lot of people believe the deadlift is the least technical of all the lifts...but in my opinion it is THE most technical. Give me a few weeks and that weight will be past 450lbs...

-Ace

NJC_Manhattan
02-03-10, 7:29 pm
Those are some awesome deads my man

BryanSmash!
02-03-10, 7:30 pm
Absolutely brother, my body is just used to the Oly form I worked so hard on. A lot of people believe the deadlift is the least technical of all the lifts...but in my opinion it is THE most technical. Give me a few weeks and that weight will be past 450lbs...

-Ace

Right on Ace! Yeah the set up for cleans is way different than the setup for Deads, but I think you'll get used to it quick. You're right about the technique as well IMO.

Firedrake
02-03-10, 7:38 pm
You are putting in some solid-ass work, Ace -- your progress is impressive and you're going to blow your past records out of the water at that meet. Your squatting is awesome. I am humbled in your presence!

TigerAce01
02-03-10, 7:38 pm
I dig it haha

Another 1RM day today, deadlift. Felt amped up and ready to go.

Warmup - bike, stick twists, stretching

Deadlift - bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 225lbs x 3, 315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

410 x 1

Cooldown - stretching

Awesome day today. Another career PR in the books, and today was only the second time in my life I've pulled 405lbs. 405 went up easy, but 410 was quite difficult. Spero said he would have contemplated on red lighting me, but most other divisions it would have been white lights. I have some real problems with my technique though...the Olympic lifts have severely changed my form...I had my legs wider than I should have, the bar was behind my shoulders, I popped my lean back...it needs work. Spero said I very well could have pulled 450lbs today if my technique was on point.

-Ace

bump

Those are some awesome deads my man

Thank you brother! It's the first time I've deadlifted heavy in a few months, so it was a nice way to get back into it! haha

Right on Ace! Yeah the set up for cleans is way different than the setup for Deads, but I think you'll get used to it quick. You're right about the technique as well IMO.

I'm sure it's like riding a bike...I've been doing deadlifts since the age of like 13, so my body knows it, just needs a refresher haha

-Ace

TigerAce01
02-03-10, 7:42 pm
You are putting in some solid-ass work, Ace -- your progress is impressive and you're going to blow your past records out of the water at that meet. Your squatting is awesome. I am humbled in your presence!

That really means a lot coming from you Jim, I really appreciate it. Everything is smooth and going well right now, and all of you guys on the FORVM are making it possible! Thank you so much!

-Ace

TigerAce01
02-05-10, 7:24 pm
Okay, final 1RM day...and I'm glad haha this shit is tiring me out.

I knew my military press wasn't going to be that great, so I gave it my all, but it was a less than desirable result.

Warmup - bike, rotator work, stretching

Military press - bar x 10, bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 3

155 x 1

165 x 1

170 x 1

175 (f)

Cooldown - stretching, rotator work

Time to start this 5/3/1 with a bang...

-Ace

Firedrake
02-05-10, 7:47 pm
That really means a lot coming from you Jim, I really appreciate it. Everything is smooth and going well right now, and all of you guys on the FORVM are making it possible! Thank you so much!

-Ace

The inspiration here is special, to be sure -- but you're the one putting in the hard work. Don't forget that.

Your work today was right nice.

Necromatrix
02-05-10, 8:58 pm
Great work, Ace! Hey, you gave it your all, that is what counts. Given your strides in progress those numbers will shoot up in no time.

BryanSmash!
02-05-10, 9:45 pm
Good pressin regardless Ace, especially after coming back from a shoulder injury.

TigerAce01
02-05-10, 9:55 pm
The inspiration here is special, to be sure -- but you're the one putting in the hard work. Don't forget that.

Your work today was right nice.

Always know how to motivate me Jim haha thanks a lot...

Great work, Ace! Hey, you gave it your all, that is what counts. Given your strides in progress those numbers will shoot up in no time.

Thanks brother, the press is going to be a weak link for a little while due to my injury, but in a month or so it'll be great.

Good pressin regardless Ace, especially after coming back from a shoulder injury.

Thanks Bryan! We'll see how this 5/3/1 goes...hopefully it'll be up to 200lbs come meet time!!

Jim has already seen this one, but I took another back lat spread photo to compare to the last one I posted in this thread...

Before : http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/TigerAce08/bigback.jpg

After : http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/TigerAce08/back2.jpg

-Ace

BryanSmash!
02-05-10, 10:06 pm
Those wings are getting wide Ace!

TigerAce01
02-06-10, 12:35 pm
Those wings are getting wide Ace!

Thanks brother!

For any who care, my new journey running 5/3/1 will be here : http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=29650

Take care brothers!

-Ace