PDA

View Full Version : need help cutting weight

never2old
12-14-09, 11:09 pm
I`m 46 y/o ht 6' wt 240, workout 6 days a week. Alternate muscle groups, solid core routine, and an hour of cardio each session. Making good strength gains now with a 365 BP/450 sq/225 mil press. Having problems with cutting esp. the mid section (core) need to lose 15-20.
Diet:
Breakfast: cereal wheaties, toast, juice, coffee
Mid Morn: yogurt
Lunch: 400 cal healthy choice type meal
Mid aft. : yogurt
Diner: 800 cal pwd with a lo-fat meal

Making good strength gains,putting on good muscle, but spinnin my wheels with weight loss.

Looking for some ideas

OklahomaMuscle
12-14-09, 11:32 pm
First off welcome to the Forvm and I'm diggin the name...now about your diet. If your trying to cut off some body fat the best way to do so would be to lower your calories below maintenance levels, I also notice a bunch of simple sugars in the meals listed. Also in your breakfast you are eating no protein(aside from the milk in your cereal) any reason for this? The"diner" is that an 800 post work out drink plus another meal? What is the macro nutrient breakdown? It looks to me like your getting alot of calories from simple sugars and carbs and very few from protein and complex carbs. I'd try lowering your simple carb consumption and upping the protein intake first... does that make sense?

androidhinter
12-14-09, 11:49 pm
Trade out the coffee for a cup of green tea. coffee can elevate cortisol levels for 30 hours. Cortisol is a stress hormone that stores fat around the midsection. Green tea actually reduces cortisol levels and boosts metabolism. Plus you'll still get the caffeine boost. check out the glycemic index on your foods. You're going to need to aim for low glycemic foods. Remember lots of pure water. i would say add some wild alaskan salmon to a meal for some good protein and omega3's and eat some blueberries.

remember this. the days you dont eat enough protein are the days you age and gain fat. eat lean proteins.

wedge
12-15-09, 12:20 pm
Space out six meals throughout the day. Have protein with each meal. Keep an eye on carb levels as well. Stop using milk. Use water for your PW shake. Avoid sugars. Eat a lot of chicken and fish.
Add cardio to your routine. Start off light and work your way up.

On Letting Go
12-15-09, 12:44 pm
Diet:

Your diet sucks.

Wheres the protein? Omega 3s? Fruits? Veggies?

I highly suggest you do a lot of reasearch around the net, or even better, purchase a book on proper nutrition. That'll get you pointed in the right direction.

androidhinter
12-15-09, 2:36 pm
Your diet sucks.

I highly suggest you do a lot of reasearch around the net, or even better, purchase a book on proper nutrition. That'll get you pointed in the right direction.

specifically "maximum energy" by Ted Broer and "The Perricone Perscription" by nicholas Perricone

Kryptonite
12-15-09, 9:39 pm
I recommend this.

Meal 1: 8 egg whites with spinach and mushrooms, 1/2 cup oatmeal.
Meal 2: 8 oz chicken breast, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 serving green beans( 85g).
Meal 3: 8 oz chicken breast, 8 oz yams, 1 serving spinach (85g).
Meal 4/PWO: ~6-7 oz tuna, 8 oz potatoes, 1 serving lettuce (85g).
Meal 5: 8 oz chicken breast, 8 oz yams, 1 serving spinach (85g).
Meal 6: protein powder (low carb, ~50g protein), 24 almonds.

Kriss305
12-16-09, 10:14 am
I recommend this.

Meal 1: 8 egg whites with spinach and mushrooms, 1/2 cup oatmeal.
Meal 2: 8 oz chicken breast, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 serving green beans( 85g).
Meal 3: 8 oz chicken breast, 8 oz yams, 1 serving spinach (85g).
Meal 4/PWO: ~6-7 oz tuna, 8 oz potatoes, 1 serving lettuce (85g).
Meal 5: 8 oz chicken breast, 8 oz yams, 1 serving spinach (85g).
Meal 6: protein powder (low carb, ~50g protein), 24 almonds.

He's the man , He designed my diet & i've cut like 4 pounds this week. Listen to him.

stumblin54
12-16-09, 12:40 pm
He's the man , He designed my diet & i've cut like 4 pounds this week. Listen to him.

That's water loss FYI, but stick with it and it will be fat soon enough.

Stumblin

never2old
12-16-09, 9:34 pm
First off welcome to the Forvm and I'm diggin the name...now about your diet. If your trying to cut off some body fat the best way to do so would be to lower your calories below maintenance levels, I also notice a bunch of simple sugars in the meals listed. Also in your breakfast you are eating no protein(aside from the milk in your cereal) any reason for this? The"diner" is that an 800 post work out drink plus another meal? What is the macro nutrient breakdown? It looks to me like your getting alot of calories from simple sugars and carbs and very few from protein and complex carbs. I'd try lowering your simple carb consumption and upping the protein intake first... does that make sense?

Thanks, I see your point...time to make some changes.

never2old
12-16-09, 9:35 pm
[QUOTE=OklahomaMuscle;862760]First off welcome to the Forvm and I'm diggin the name...now about your diet. If your trying to cut off some body fat the best way to do so would be to lower your calories below maintenance levels, I also notice a bunch of simple sugars in the meals listed. Also in your breakfast you are eating no protein(aside from the milk in your cereal) any reason for this? The"diner" is that an 800 post work out drink plus another meal? What is the macro nutrient breakdown? It looks to me like your getting alot of calories from simple sugars and carbs and very few from protein and complex carbs. I'd try lowering your simple carb consumption and upping the protein intake first... does that make sense?[thanks time to make some changes]

never2old
12-16-09, 9:37 pm
Your diet sucks.

I highly suggest you do a lot of reasearch around the net, or even better, purchase a book on proper nutrition. That'll get you pointed in the right direction. got it good point

never2old
12-16-09, 9:39 pm
I`m 46 y/o ht 6' wt 240, workout 6 days a week. Alternate muscle groups, solid core routine, and an hour of cardio each session. Making good strength gains now with a 365 BP/450 sq/225 mil press. Having problems with cutting esp. the mid section (core) need to lose 15-20.
Diet:

Making good strength gains,putting on good muscle, but spinnin my wheels with weight loss.

Looking for some ideas

Trade out the coffee for a cup of green tea. coffee can elevate cortisol levels for 30 hours. Cortisol is a stress hormone that stores fat around the midsection. Green tea actually reduces cortisol levels and boosts metabolism. Plus you'll still get the caffeine boost. check out the glycemic index on your foods. You're going to need to aim for low glycemic foods. Remember lots of pure water. i would say add some wild alaskan salmon to a meal for some good protein and omega3's and eat some blueberries.

remember this. the days you dont eat enough protein are the days you age and gain fat. eat lean proteins. thanks i`ll try it