PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with back

Demolitionist
12-15-09, 11:49 pm
Hey guys, Ive been having trouble with targeting my back, ive actually had this problem for a while... It seems no matter what exercise I do I cannot work the back, its always my arms that get the workout. I try these exercises many different ways but I just cant target the back.

Please help!!!

BionicMasterPiece
12-16-09, 12:06 am
Hey guys, Ive been having trouble with targeting my back, ive actually had this problem for a while... It seems no matter what exercise I do I cannot work the back, its always my arms that get the workout. I try these exercises many different ways but I just cant target the back.

Please help!!!

what exercises are you doing for back?

Little Z
12-16-09, 12:14 am
what exercises are you doing for back?

x2

give some more info brother.. whats your split look like and what are you doing to actually target your back?

theharjmann
12-18-09, 11:47 am
INTENSELY STUDY the back training of Dorian Yates.

watch his videos, watch how he trains, read and watch his views.

once you do that, you will be on your way to a BIG back.

there aint a one sentance answer....its a CONSTANT learning process for the rest of your life....but Dorian Yates is the BEST person to look into for a big back.

theharjmann
12-18-09, 11:53 am
read these....FULLY....from start to finish

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_10_20/ai_98488580/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian_yates_training_insight.htm

mritter3
12-18-09, 11:56 am
if your doing your rows, your deads, and your chins...your on your way to thick back...the rest is diet, mix up the rep ranges and the weights and you will be fine.

Muscleguy93
12-18-09, 3:32 pm
you need a better mind to muscle connection, try flexing often and streching. Deadlifts, rows, chins + food.

skychof09
12-19-09, 7:20 am
what are some mass builders for back? im having trouble with it. my back doesnt show any signs of increase at all, only when i flex. i need to build some size, i dont have that little empty river look in the middle.

egyption t
12-19-09, 8:38 am
try the FST-7
i`v tried it for da last 4 weeks,did good 4 me
finish ur training with lat pull down,7 sets,70% of the max wieght,rest 45-60 sec. between sets....try it

Deathride
12-19-09, 8:45 am
I really enjoy training back......i might not be very good at it, but i enjoy it and thats what matters :-D

My routine is pullups / bent over rows - do a few sets of over hand and a few sets of underhand / side dumbbell rows....i do deadlifts on a separate day late in the week, but i sometimes sub the underhand grip rows for deads if i'm short on time

For me, it was about maximising the stretch.....use the full range of movement, right from the bottom to the contracted top. Also, try HOLDING the dumbbell rows for a second at the top. Your back will burn in the centre....if it doesn't, you know you aren't using it.

Like I say, i'm by no means a pro bodybuilder (am barely an amateur...haha) but thats what i do and my back feels massive when i'm done!

Pizzalamp
12-19-09, 11:24 am
make sure u are using a thumbless grip on your back exercises...helps to take stress off the biceps a bit

learn how to retract your scapula

reduce your poundages a bit and really focus on perfect form...slow controlled stretch and a controlled non jerking contraction

stretch in between sets and afterwards

and keep back training days spaced apart from bicep training days...unless u are doing biceps w/ back

one of my favorite back routines is:

pullups ...4 x 15-20 reps
dumbell pullovers...3 x 12
supersetted with
stiff arm pushdowns...3 x 12
face pulls...3 x 12
seated cable rows or 1 arm dumbell rows...3 x 10
tbar rows...3 x 6-10
hypers...3 x 12

that back routine trains the lats and midback through all the positons of flexion---midrange movements, stretch movements, and contracted movements

BionicMasterPiece
12-19-09, 3:54 pm

Please help!!!

just focus on barbell rows, t bar rows, dumbbell rows, deadlifts and your body will create enough hormones to just make your whole body grow....save the machines after you gained some mass

Fury317
12-19-09, 4:44 pm
you need a better mind to muscle connection, try flexing often and streching. Deadlifts, rows, chins + food.

x 10....a mind muscle connction is vital to muscle growth, but ESPECIALLY WITH BACK TRAINING. You must vizualize your back growing, and visualize the targeted muscle with each contraction.

That, and train heavy with good form adn you'll be fine.

jeff00z28
12-19-09, 6:41 pm
i used to have that for around the first 6 months but eventually my body learned on its own how to properly lift

BSill
12-19-09, 9:54 pm
Agree with earlier reply.

Need to work on mind-to-muscle connection. Flexing. Posing. Practice the motions. Also try to focus as if you were pulling the weight back from your elbows. An example from when I was learning how to better target my back, during seated cable rows I would focus not on my grip and pulling the handle to my upper mid section, but rather pulling the weight back from an elbow focal point. Its hard to explain, perhaps another member could clarify this explanation.

Menace
12-19-09, 11:12 pm
i use straps when i train my back, takes the focus off of my grip (which usually takes my bicep out of it for the most part). Really lets me focus on pulling with my back.

msktyshha
12-20-09, 12:06 pm
deads rows pullups all have their place and are without a doubt the best back exercises, but hammerstrength isolaterals rows are also something to consider if you are starting out on back training or hit a plateau. It can really build some mind to muscle connection and you can focus more while doing them cause you don't have to worry much about controlling the weight. Besides that just put your mind in the muscle you are working on and only pull from that muscle.

Shifty
12-20-09, 3:08 pm
I love doing bcak there's nothing better than the back geting slaughter by Deads,Seated Cable Rows, Single Arm Dumbell Rows or Barbell Rows,and to finish of Shrugs.All done to Failure,Then feeling the next day and thinking roll on the session.

As stated do 4 excersise and correct form and your back will grow.

BionicMasterPiece
12-20-09, 5:36 pm
here try this on for size

pullups 5xfailure
barbell row 5x6-10 (this is the bread and butter of building your back next to deads)
rack deadlifts 3x8-12
barbell shrugs 3x8-10

I can almost guarantee that this would put size on your back.