PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Stone overhead press videos

HIGA MONSTER
12-19-09, 9:17 pm
Taken during our workout this morning at the WAREHOUSE.

205 lb Atlas Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ILnV_sjaQ

250 lb Atlas Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c12PGNypmw

I'm gonna lockout that 250 one day. My ass was beat after 2 hours of training with my crew.

Aloha!
HIGA MONSTER

Aggression
12-21-09, 3:00 pm
Damn, niCe work there bro. That strongman type of stuff has always caught my interest. It might be something I get into real soon ...

mritter3
12-21-09, 3:17 pm
now thats brute strength...very cool stuff higa.

U Mad Brah?
12-21-09, 3:51 pm
really good lifting there higa brah

WeeMan
12-21-09, 4:39 pm
cool i think il try that.

HIGA MONSTER
12-22-09, 2:33 am
Mahalo to all you fellas!

Its kind of fun to mess around with those once in a while. It can be a great workout for your CORE while pressing stones overhead. They are tough to get a handle of, and if it isn't right, you are gonna have a tough time.
I think my hands were too close together on the 250 stone, and thats why I couldn't get a full lockout. B-OTCH!

Later!
HIGA MONSTER

Beowulf
12-22-09, 9:58 am
Mahalo to all you fellas!

Its kind of fun to mess around with those once in a while. It can be a great workout for your CORE while pressing stones overhead. They are tough to get a handle of, and if it isn't right, you are gonna have a tough time.
I think my hands were too close together on the 250 stone, and thats why I couldn't get a full lockout. B-OTCH!

Later!
HIGA MONSTER

Cool vids Higa. How much of a successful "lift" is based on finding the right grip or hold?

Fury317
12-22-09, 10:02 am
Damn dude thats awesome. The gym I work at has a 200lb medicine ball and just picking that up is a bitch, I couldnt imagine pressing it.

rocky36
12-22-09, 4:47 pm
you made it look easy man, im betting you will get the 250 the next time you try, keep up the good work

HIGA MONSTER
12-22-09, 10:39 pm
Cool vids Higa. How much of a successful "lift" is based on finding the right grip or hold?

I felt like I couldn't lock out the 250 anymore than I had due to my shoulder flexibility. I believe that if my hands were spaced just a tad wider, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Kinda like doing a close grip bench press and have your hands touch thumb to thumb...I don't think I would be able to bring the bar down to touch my chest. Does that make sense?

On the flip side, you don't want it to be too far apart on the bottom of the stone, or it will come crashing down on your head or chest!

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-22-09, 10:46 pm
you made it look easy man, im betting you will get the 250 the next time you try, keep up the good work

Thanks bro!

I think I am going to try and do a crazy Stone Press medley next month. Pick the stone off the floor then press and lockout 5 Atlas Stones overhead, then throw them onto the top of the platforms.
165 lbs to the 72" platform
188 lbs to the 68" platform
205 lbs to the 64" platform (which I did in the 1st video)
250 lbs to the 60" platform
286 lbs to the 56" platform

All those platforms are what you see in the background of the videos. We even got a 52" platform, but let me see if I can get all the above first.
Should be a cool challenge!

"SHUT UP AND BRING IT!"
HIGA MONSTER

Jonisocool
12-23-09, 4:14 am
damn you monster!

Young&Hungry
12-23-09, 12:29 pm
Damn you guys have a 72" platform? What's your PR load to that height Grant? I've done loads to a 66" and almost died, being short sucks lol! Despite being vertically challenged I love me some stone for height.

HIGA MONSTER
12-24-09, 12:51 am
Damn you guys have a 72" platform? What's your PR load to that height Grant? I've done loads to a 66" and almost died, being short sucks lol! Despite being vertically challenged I love me some stone for height.

Yea brah.
Those platforms behind me in the videos are 72"-56" tall. With my height, I need to shoulder the first 3 stones.
I can load our 286 lb stone onto the 72" box.

Sucks, but we gotta do what we gotta do. If not, don't compete in Strongman, right?
HIGA MONSTER

BryanSmash!
12-25-09, 12:44 am
Great stonelifting Higa! That medley sounds nuts, but I'm sure you'll hit it!

IronWilson
12-27-09, 2:34 pm
If "Pour Some Sugar On Me" can motivate you to lift heavy, hell, anything can.

HAHA great job.

naturalguy
12-27-09, 5:16 pm
Awesome stuff, very impressive

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 1:11 am
If "Pour Some Sugar On Me" can motivate you to lift heavy, hell, anything can.

HAHA great job.

No doubt bro...I think its worse if Culture Club was playing on the radio. Then, I would want to throw up.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
12-28-09, 1:12 am
Awesome stuff, very impressive

Thanks NG! Appreciate it!
HIGA MONSTER

Cstlfx
12-28-09, 1:17 am
Cant wait to see the medley!