PDA

View Full Version : Big Irish and the Iron Quest

Big Irish
12-21-09, 10:39 pm
I said I would start my Journey on Monday and I will be a man of my word.

I'm between 6' 2" and 6' 4", depending on who I'm standing by and they're lying about their height. I'll stick with 6' 3" (happy medium) and 340lbs. I'm built like your typical NFL offensive lineman but I'm working on another shape now.

First let me say, after a weekend of shoveling 24" of snow away from everything I was a little taxed when I went to the gym this morning and I left rather disappointed in myself. Today was chest day and that's what made it the most disappointing. Next to arms day, chest day is my second favorite workout day of the week.

Here's my workout schedulefor a typical week:
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Arms

I usually use dumbbells for most of my exercises and when I list the weight it's just for one of the dumbbells and not total weight.

Todays Workout:

Fast Pace Warmup Walk on the Treadmill - 10 min.

Flat Bench (Dumbbells): 55x12, 90x10, 90x10, 90 x7
Incline Bench (Dumbbells): 80x10, 80x10, 80x8, 80x7

I would normally finish up with another 15 min. Fast Pace Cool Down Walk on the Treadmill but I had to be at the doctors office for blood work and urine sample. Fun stuff.

What I'm looking for is an extra exercise to add to my chest day that will work my lower chest instead of decline bench. I've got an issue with my lower back and it won't let me lie on the decline bench. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. What's the best way to assist on dips? I've heard it's a wonderful exercise for the lower chest but right now I can't get myself back to start position. Too heavy.

Well, there you have it for my first Journey entry. Let me know what you think and suggestions are welcome. Thanx

C.Coronato
12-22-09, 11:33 am
Welcome my man. Dips can be assisted with a machine, if you have it. If not a person holding your feet can help you push back up. I sometimes like to do cable crossovers for lower chest. Mess with the angles to get it to hit exactly where you want it.

Big Irish
12-22-09, 9:22 pm
Blood work came back in good shape, Cholesterol a smidge over 200 and urine sample was good to go.

Tuesday back day was much more productive than Monday chest day.

Lat Pulldowns: 220x10 5 sets

Barbell Shrugs: 335x10 5 sets

Dumbbell Rows: 75x10 5 sets

I'm pretty pleased with my gains on back day and I'll be going up on all exercises next Tuesday.

Wednesday's are normally shoulder days but I'm thinking of switching it to Thursday and moving legs to Wednesdays. Any thoughts on the switch?

Big Irish
12-23-09, 7:21 pm
Shoulder day. Weakest link.

Shoulder Press (Dumbbells): 40x10, 55x9, 55x10 3 sets
Seated Lat Raises: 35x10 5 sets
Bent Raises: 60x10 5 sets

I'm hoping by swapping days with legs that I can improve my shoulder workouts and gain some strength.

TigerAce01
12-23-09, 7:39 pm
Welcome brother! From the looks of it, you've got potential, and plenty to work with! Shoulder used to be my weak link too...now they're one of my strongest bodyparts, aside from my legs. Keep working!

-Ace

Big Irish
12-24-09, 9:21 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate any critiques I can get. Whether it's critical or encouraging it's all important to receive. Just don't worry about hurting my feelings.

I know one can't expect all days to be good days in the gym but today was such a "Blah" day that I hate to even divulge the details but here they are.

Tri-cep Pushdowns: 75x10, 90x10, 115x10, 115x9, 115x7
Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 60x10, 60x10, 60x9, 60x8, 60x7
Close Grip Bench: 135x10, 195x10, 195x10, 195x9, 195x7
Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 50x10, 50x10, 50x9, 50x8, 50x8

The first two exercises were increased from the week before but didn't push it on the second two. I know I should have made myself go up but lacked drive today and that sucks because it's my favorite exercise day.

Week after next I'll be concentrating on my diet but don't want to kill my energy levels. I'm taking most of the Animal line of supplements so I'm not worried too much about getting the needed nutrients. I just want to make sure I don't have too many days like today.

Thanks again for the support.

Big Irish
12-28-09, 9:34 pm
I'm starting to think chest isn't the best thing to start the week with when you're trying to ground out more weight. For some reason I feel stronger in the middle of the week.

Flat Bench(Dumbbells): 55x15, 75x12, 90x9, 95x9, 95x8, 95x7
Incline Bench(Dumbbells): 70x10, 80x9, 80x9, 80x9, 80x9
Pushups (w/Elevated Front): Me x 10, Me x 10, Me x 10 (I tip the scales at 345 but have no idea how that translates here)

I know I shouldn't feel bad about my weights but it just seems I've been stuck in this range for a long time. I've got approximately four more weeks on this program and then I'll try something new so I can hopefully start upping the weights. I'll also be starting my new "leaner" diet in a couple weeks. I'm hoping to gain some much needed energy as well as extra protein.

Pound it out Men!!!

Big Irish
01-05-10, 8:49 pm
I feel a bit ashamed because Monday was the first day I've lifted since last Monday but we had inventory, one of my main job duties, at work and worked some God awful hours. The good news is I was able to increase most of my my weights so far this week.

Monday:
Dumbbell Bench: 60x12, 80x10, 100x6, 100x6, 100x6
Incline Bench: 70x10, 80x8, 85x8, 85x7
Pushups, Elevated Front: (345)Me x 10, Me x 10, Me x 10

I was having problems with a dead left arm though.

Tuesday:
Lat Pulldowns: 225x10, 225x10, 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
Shrugs: 355x10, 355x8, 355x8, 355x8, 355x8
Dumbbell Rows: 80x10, 80x10, 80x 10

Felt much better today but still concerned about my lack of "Humph" in my left side presses yesterday.

Firedrake
01-05-10, 8:54 pm
Real life often gets in the way of training, bro -- don't let it worry you -- I was out most of last week with the flu, and am just getting warmed up again.

You're putting in solid, consistent work, and that's the key to growth. Even us "old dogs" can make a solid go of it with the right nutrition and program for our . . . unique conditions.

Why are you having left side issues? Could it be a pinched nerve in the shoulder or something?

Let me know if I can be of any help.

As I mentioned in PM, you'll find a link to my journey at top of my signature line.

Count me as subbed in for your ride!

Big Irish
01-12-10, 8:05 pm
Ok, work has definitely put a major cramp in my workout schedule. Between inventory and putting together a new store to open has limited my time in the gym this past week to only three days. I was able to up my bench to using the 100lb bells on Monday and 365lb bar for shrugs on Tuesday but my shoulder day on Thursday left much to be desired. This week so far pretty much the same as last week with the same weights but should manage five days this week anyhow. Legs tomorrow should be a brute. I think I should have begged to get on the Project Z gig, I could use the help.