PDA

View Full Version : chest day question.

ChadO
12-29-09, 4:04 pm
My new routine tells me after incline bench go to dumbbell presses, but 2 exercises after tells me to go to flat bench bench press. So which one should i go heavy on or heavy on both? or should i just cut one out and leave the other.

edit. heres what it looks like
Chest
• Incline Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Dumbbell Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Incline Flyes: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Flat Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets X 15 Reps

JasonG
12-29-09, 4:16 pm
I would only do one flat press whether bb or db in one workout and rotate them. Do a fly movement instead your second flat press movement.

G Diesel
12-29-09, 4:27 pm
My new routine tells me after incline bench go to dumbbell presses, but 2 exercises after tells me to go to flat bench bench press. So which one should i go heavy on or heavy on both? or should i just cut one out and leave the other.

edit. heres what it looks like
Chest
• Incline Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Dumbbell Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Incline Flyes: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Flat Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
• Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets X 15 Reps

Two presses and two flyes all out should be more than enough. Maybe you should consider something structured slightly differently, like this...

Incline Barbell Press: 3 sets x 12-6 reps
Flat Barbell Press: 3 sets x 12-6 reps
Incline DB Flyes: 3 sets x 10 reps
Cable Crossovers: 2 sets x 20 reps

I'd take the last (heaviest) set of each to failure, so have a spotter available if possible. That said, if you stick with the routine you have, maybe save the flat bench as the last exercise and do higher burnout rep sets or ones where you do the reps slow with perfect form. Otherwise, I'd move em up in the routine and save the flye movements for last.

Peace, G

Peace, G

ChadO
12-29-09, 4:32 pm
G- Im trying to stick to reps under 10. Im going for real heavy less reps. But yeah i was thinking about a routine like that. The program is from animals routine #2.

smith06
12-29-09, 5:55 pm
Ive always read/heard to alternate BB and Db between your inclines and Flats.

If you use BB for Inc. use DB for flat and vice versa.. I think doing DB presses and Barbell presses for the same movement is overkill.

C.Coronato
12-30-09, 10:00 am
G is the man to listen to about bench/chest. Words of wisdom my brothers.