View Full Version : 40g protein for under $2

Kain81
12-29-09, 5:04 pm
Check it:

Two Slices Orowheat Protein Bread - 12g
1 can tuna in water - 14g
1 boiled egg - 6g
1/2 cup cottage cheese - 7g

to that i add salt & pepper, some green onion, and sliced tomato's.

over 40gs of protein, under $2 to make.

throw it on the Forman grill and BAM , tuna melt comin'atcha!

fenix237
12-29-09, 5:13 pm
Check it:

1 can tuna in water - 14g

i'm assuming this is roughly a single serving? 1 can of tuna has close to 40 grams alone (7oz can 3.5 servings)

but i agree, that's a protein packed sandwich that hits the spot!

Kain81
12-29-09, 5:19 pm
i'm assuming this is roughly a single serving? 1 can of tuna has close to 40 grams alone (7oz can 3.5 servings)

I wasn't sure (not at home by the cans) but i nabbed the info from this link:
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-bumble-bee-chunk-light-tuna-i88879

Muscleguy93
12-29-09, 5:35 pm

ya, think your right, A can has 30+ grams atleast.

smith06
12-29-09, 5:37 pm
A5oz. can of kroger brand (in water) had 26 grams of protien.

Cstlfx
12-29-09, 5:52 pm
That means you're getting over 50g of protein for under $2!

Good deal!

LayzieBone085
12-29-09, 6:27 pm
1 Cup of Oats (10g of protein)
1 Scoop of whey (25g of Protein)
~ 40g of protein

For under a dollar.

On Letting Go
12-30-09, 7:02 am
"The price is WRONG, bitch."

Happy G.

Shamus11B
12-30-09, 7:14 am
Might have to try this minus that nasty cottage chesse.

Kryptonite
12-30-09, 2:35 pm
Chicken breast on sale: about $2 a pound.

Protein in one pound of chicken breast: 112g

8 oz (half of a pound) of chicken breast: about $1

Protein in 8 oz (half of a pound) of chicken breast: 56g

56g of protein for a dollar. Forget McDonald's, that's a good deal.

McFly
12-30-09, 2:42 pm
McDonald's

mmmmnnnnnnnnnn double cheese please!

Max-Angle
12-30-09, 2:47 pm
Might have to try this minus that nasty cottage chesse.

I beg to differ, cottage cheese is awesome, grew up on that stuff and the 20 glassses of milk i would drink a day as a kid, i swear i was a cow as a kid all i drank was mik, probably why my bones are so strong

PORTERHOUSE
12-30-09, 5:48 pm
Chicken breast on sale: about $2 a pound.

Protein in one pound of chicken breast: 112g

8 oz (half of a pound) of chicken breast: about $1

Protein in 8 oz (half of a pound) of chicken breast: 56g

56g of protein for a dollar. Forget McDonald's, that's a good deal.

Shit I wish I could find chicken for $2 a pound. Anywhere around here if it is two dollars a pound its not even worth buying.

Little Z
12-30-09, 5:50 pm
Shit I wish I could find chicken for $2 a pound. Anywhere around here if it is two dollars a pound its not even worth buying.

LOL i agree 100% brother...

Kryptonite
12-30-09, 6:26 pm
Ahh, New York...

The chicken state capital of the world.

That is what we're famous for, right?

etank
12-30-09, 9:44 pm
I can usually find a 6 serving container of cottage cheese for $1.50-2.50. 13 grams per serving x 6 = 78 grams of protein.

I love cottage cheese!

Shamus11B
12-31-09, 1:05 am
Its not the taste of cottage cheese that I mind its the consistency. Just dont like chunky gelatenous food.

Kain81
01-06-10, 3:02 pm
When the cottage cheese is mixed w/ the tuna and bread and what not, i bet you'd hardly even recognize the texture.

I agree, chicken is the way to go. This is just my mid day snack. Beats a PB sandwich fo sho.

N. Motta
01-06-10, 3:10 pm
~ 40g of protein

For under a dollar.

Real food trumps supplements all day.

N. Motta
01-06-10, 3:19 pm
~ 40g of protein

For under a dollar.

Plus, you can't count the protein found in something like oatmeal. It's an incomplete protein.

The_Legacy
01-06-10, 4:31 pm
that melt sounds pretty damn good.

Kryptonite
01-06-10, 6:48 pm
Plus, you can't count the protein found in something like oatmeal. It's an incomplete protein.

Where did you hear this?

N. Motta
01-06-10, 7:10 pm
Nutritional education. More over I thought it was common knowledge. Tell me you haven't been counting the protein from you bread as part of your daily protein intake.

Tempus
01-10-10, 6:26 pm
An incomplete protein is just missing some of the EAAs. It still counts as protein and still is highly beneficial. But you need to make sure you include some animal sources as well - which would include the protein powder - to ensure that all EAAs are accounted for.

It still counts.

Kryptonite
01-10-10, 11:02 pm
Nutritional education. More over I thought it was common knowledge. Tell me you haven't been counting the protein from you bread as part of your daily protein intake.

I don't eat bread, but the protein from my almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, potatoes, yams, rice, etc. are counted in my daily protein intake.

N. Motta
01-10-10, 11:55 pm
I don't eat bread, but the protein from my almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, potatoes, yams, rice, etc. are counted in my daily protein intake.

Well you should exclude the protein counting from the potatoes, yams and rice. They are not complete proteins and they will not build muscle. Go ahead and ask Rage or Ox.

Tempus
01-11-10, 2:19 am
Well you should exclude the protein counting from the potatoes, yams and rice. They are not complete proteins and they will not build muscle. Go ahead and ask Rage or Ox.

Do you even know what yams are missing -- Lysine. Yup, that is a very important EAA since its part of the protein muscle synthesis chain. But all of the other EAAs are there in a good ratio.

You really need to understand the difference between complete and incomplete proteins before you give people bad information.

I count the protein from nuts and they are lacking EAA ratios far more than rice or yams. _ANY_ plant protein is lacking one (or more) EAA or has the wrong ratio. That is the definition of an incomplete protein.

But if I need something like Leucine (hint - yes you need Leucine. Of all the BCAA research shows this is the one most related to gaining muscle) then something like almonds is a good idea - 1 cup has 33 grams of protein with 2 grams being Leucine and 4 grams of arginine. Good stuff.

Kryptonite
01-11-10, 5:20 pm
Do you even know what yams are missing -- Lysine. Yup, that is a very important EAA since its part of the protein muscle synthesis chain. But all of the other EAAs are there in a good ratio.

You really need to understand the difference between complete and incomplete proteins before you give people bad information.

I count the protein from nuts and they are lacking EAA ratios far more than rice or yams. _ANY_ plant protein is lacking one (or more) EAA or has the wrong ratio. That is the definition of an incomplete protein.

But if I need something like Leucine (hint - yes you need Leucine. Of all the BCAA research shows this is the one most related to gaining muscle) then something like almonds is a good idea - 1 cup has 33 grams of protein with 2 grams being Leucine and 4 grams of arginine. Good stuff.

That's very interesting... I never knew that. Thanks for the information, bro. I appreciate it.

Kryptonite
01-11-10, 5:21 pm

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this is possible...

J-Dawg
01-11-10, 5:31 pm

If you're stacking 'em with meats or complimentary foods that contain the lacking amino acid, the protein could still count from these sources. But I believe like you said, a number of bbers do not account for the protein from their carb sources. I think a good number though, do still factor the protein in as if you take in high amounts of carbs, the protein that comes with the carbs could get relatively high.

Kryptonite
01-11-10, 5:48 pm
If you're stacking 'em with meats or complimentary foods that contain the lacking amino acid, the protein could still count from these sources. But I believe like you said, a number of bbers do not account for the protein from their carb sources. I think a good number though, do still factor the protein in as if you take in high amounts of carbs, the protein that comes with the carbs could get relatively high.

That's exactly what I was thinking.