PDA

View Full Version : I should not be left alone with my own thoughts.

Ferinus
12-31-09, 4:40 am
My parents, my teachers, every other person that the character in the afterschool special has to turn to for guidance, they all try to guide us in various paths. Kind of makes you feel for the kid who has no say in his profession.

I on the other hand fashion myself a creator. A self-contained construction and demolition crew. We are our biggest critics, what we say and do to ourselves makes or breaks us at the end of the day. What I do and say can either build upon this foundation or knock it down to rubble. I prefer the former.

I can't really pinpoint what drives me. I'd like to say that I'm a goal-oriented person who shows dedication and have an ability to focus unlike any other person I know. A psychiatrist may just say I have one hell of an inferiority complex and am trying to compensate.

The deeper I dive into this world of iron, the more alone I am with myself. The cold bar and my headphones blasting angry riffs and lyrics into my head, not a care in the world of who or what is watching me as I complete rep after rep of various exercises, I find myself having a constant conversation in my head. Affirmations of who I am and who I want to be. Critiquing everything with an objective in mind and not giving an inch, I trudge forward.

I can't say that I'm a pessimist. I also cannot say that I'm the most optimistic person. There's a certain level of balance I like to strike. There's a solution to any problem we face in life. It's when we strike a middle-ground between what should be and what can't be, that we find what will be.

I was once told that there are two types of people in this world: People who dream, and people who achieve their dreams. Nobody ever really explains the divide between them. Nobody asks "Why?" I'd like to try to answer why there's a divide. Some people dream and think they can't do something or that something is out of their grasp. The ones that achieve their dreams? I always figured they're too busy trying, that they don't have the time to care whether or not their dream is out of their reach.

I hope I'm less "all over the place" in future posts.

Ardent
12-31-09, 6:09 am
My parents, my teachers, every other person that the character in the afterschool special has to turn to for guidance, they all try to guide us in various paths. Kind of makes you feel for the kid who has no say in his profession.

I on the other hand fashion myself a creator. A self-contained construction and demolition crew. We are our biggest critics, what we say and do to ourselves makes or breaks us at the end of the day. What I do and say can either build upon this foundation or knock it down to rubble. I prefer the former.

I can't really pinpoint what drives me. I'd like to say that I'm a goal-oriented person who shows dedication and have an ability to focus unlike any other person I know. A psychiatrist may just say I have one hell of an inferiority complex and am trying to compensate.

The deeper I dive into this world of iron, the more alone I am with myself. The cold bar and my headphones blasting angry riffs and lyrics into my head, not a care in the world of who or what is watching me as I complete rep after rep of various exercises, I find myself having a constant conversation in my head. Affirmations of who I am and who I want to be. Critiquing everything with an objective in mind and not giving an inch, I trudge forward.

I can't say that I'm a pessimist. I also cannot say that I'm the most optimistic person. There's a certain level of balance I like to strike. There's a solution to any problem we face in life. It's when we strike a middle-ground between what should be and what can't be, that we find what will be.

I was once told that there are two types of people in this world: People who dream, and people who achieve their dreams. Nobody ever really explains the divide between them. Nobody asks "Why?" I'd like to try to answer why there's a divide. Some people dream and think they can't do something or that something is out of their grasp. The ones that achieve their dreams? I always figured they're too busy trying, that they don't have the time to care whether or not their dream is out of their reach.

I hope I'm less "all over the place" in future posts.

If your not "all over the place" then where are you?

Good post, i feel what your sayin. All this thought comes with having a brain. I enjoy those rare precious moments where we can stop thought and just be.

Wolf_Soldier
01-09-10, 8:41 pm
It felt like I could say every word before I read it. I'm glad there's others out there who share similar thoughts, other's who I can connect to. Excellent post brother, I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Ferinus
01-26-10, 4:40 am
It's a question that's been festering in my head like a boil waiting to be lanced. Just sitting there in its gross state just waiting for me to pop it open and let the contents of it ooze out and find its place among the refuse.

Note that "strength" is not just physical, but strength of character, of our own human being.

The more I think about it the more I think that the answer is "No."

It seems to me that there is this growing notion that strength involves some sort of colossus of greatness that just towers over the rest of the pack. The kind of John Galt figure that rises to the top and is infallible. W

A friend of mine asked me why I sometimes put off my training for a few hours to help other people out with theirs. (His timing was perfect, I put off training until after my class that day to help him perfect his form on lifts.)

My response to him is something I say daily, just to keep my own self in check. "Strength is not rising above the rest and walking on their backs. Strength is rising above the rest and helping them up to where you are. No great person was ever afraid of a little company or competition."

In our culture we seem to be driven to compare ourselves to each other. Not all of us do, but most of us have done it in the past. This often drives some to reach a height and then push others who are reaching for the same stars down. If that's not selfish and cowardly, then I do not know what is.

Call me an idealist, call me naive, but I firmly believe that strength that's not somewhat altruistic in nature is not strength. It's fear and immaturity.

I'm not trying to make a large general statement about society, nor a huge socio-political movement. But it's just an observation.

Ardent
01-26-10, 9:30 am
It's a question that's been festering in my head like a boil waiting to be lanced. Just sitting there in its gross state just waiting for me to pop it open and let the contents of it ooze out and find its place among the refuse.

Note that "strength" is not just physical, but strength of character, of our own human being.

The more I think about it the more I think that the answer is "No."

It seems to me that there is this growing notion that strength involves some sort of colossus of greatness that just towers over the rest of the pack. The kind of John Galt figure that rises to the top and is infallible. W

A friend of mine asked me why I sometimes put off my training for a few hours to help other people out with theirs. (His timing was perfect, I put off training until after my class that day to help him perfect his form on lifts.)

My response to him is something I say daily, just to keep my own self in check. "Strength is not rising above the rest and walking on their backs. Strength is rising above the rest and helping them up to where you are. No great person was ever afraid of a little company or competition."

In our culture we seem to be driven to compare ourselves to each other. Not all of us do, but most of us have done it in the past. This often drives some to reach a height and then push others who are reaching for the same stars down. If that's not selfish and cowardly, then I do not know what is.

Call me an idealist, call me naive, but I firmly believe that strength that's not somewhat altruistic in nature is not strength. It's fear and immaturity.

I'm not trying to make a large general statement about society, nor a huge socio-political movement. But it's just an observation.
Well said.