PDA

View Full Version : Postworkout shake timing question

Razor
01-04-10, 2:35 pm
Do you guys make a shake before you workout and immediately chug it after training or do you guys do it somewhere half hour after? just wondering how the fellow animals do it.

MC-Hitman
01-04-10, 3:19 pm
Usually 1/2 hour - simply because thats when I'm outta the shower and make a shake

The_Legacy
01-04-10, 3:55 pm
Usually when i get home after the gym, about 25mins after my workout, I take a nitro during workout though.

squattingtillipuke
01-04-10, 5:15 pm
I usually have my shake 30 minutes after working out but I have been doing some research on protein intake etc. and some of what I have found is interesting. Some in the science world beleive that the body isn't able to absorb protein for anywhere up to 2 hours post workout. I don't have all the specifics as this isn't my area of expertise but I am planning on re-reading the article.

I also found a conversation on this fact on MD and TIPSTA was speaking of something very similar to the above. I don't know TIPSTA or his knowledge base, so I dont if he speaks from education or spilling babble!

Razor
01-04-10, 5:27 pm
I usually have my shake 30 minutes after working out but I have been doing some research on protein intake etc. and some of what I have found is interesting. Some in the science world beleive that the body isn't able to absorb protein for anywhere up to 2 hours post workout. I don't have all the specifics as this isn't my area of expertise but I am planning on re-reading the article.

I also found a conversation on this fact on MD and TIPSTA was speaking of something very similar to the above. I don't know TIPSTA or his knowledge base, so I dont if he speaks from education or spilling babble!

I have heard something similar (which is why i started this thread too). Someone at the gym was talking about how you don't need to consume protein asap that you could wait an hour, then chug something but he was the only source so i shrugged it off too.

Zooman
01-04-10, 6:51 pm
I usually have my shake within 30 mins of finishing my workout, then I eat a meal about 45 mins after that.

C.Coronato
01-05-10, 10:21 am
I finish, take my Nitro and while still at the gym fill up my shaker with water and walk on the tread and sip Torrent. So immediately for me.

Beach91
01-05-10, 1:05 pm
Right after working out, I consume a shake of dextrose, aminos and creatine. 30-45 minutes later I have a shake mixed into a bowl of oats.

sunny_max
01-06-10, 5:59 am
right after i take nitro with grape juice or gatorade.......and then protien in water after 15 mins when i get home.....then my meal.....

mritter3
01-06-10, 8:08 am
i usually down my torrent pwo, right after the last weight has hit the ground, and then about an hour after that i have a carb and protein loaded meal.

closeyourbox
01-06-10, 2:40 pm
i sip on some EAA stack and carbo plus during the entire workout...wash down nitro with the last of the eaa/carbo mix right before my last exercise...drive home (gotta drop off B Light in the process) and down some torrent when i walk in the door...(generally about 30 - 40 min after nitro)...food about 30 min after that

Razor
01-08-10, 11:50 am
After Aggression lent me some great advice, i'm now taking Nitro immediately after training then do cardio then follow up with my shake.

G Diesel
01-08-10, 12:14 pm
I generally drink my shake within 5 minutes or so after training. I fill my shaker from the water fountain as I leave the gym and will finish it once I get to my car. Then I try to allow 45 minutes to an hour before my whole food meal.

Peace, G

intoodeep25
01-08-10, 12:35 pm
immediately after my last set i drink my torrent. 30-40 mins later drink a RG shake. 30 mins later eat a whole food meal. this has worked very well for me

Razor
01-08-10, 1:14 pm
I generally drink my shake within 5 minutes or so after training. I fill my shaker from the water fountain as I leave the gym and will finish it once I get to my car. Then I try to allow 45 minutes to an hour before my whole food meal.

Peace, G

G, what's your current shake look like?

G Diesel
01-08-10, 1:31 pm
G, what's your current shake look like?

I love Torrent, but have strayed for the sake of variety and make a homebrew of late like so...

3 scoops Carb Max Citrus (60g carbs)
2 scoops Just Whey Vanilla (40g protein)
10g Glutamine
5g Micronized Creatine Mono
1 serving BCAA Stack orange

In my training log I try to detail what I do workout to workout pre, intra and post. A few other concoctions:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6925

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=404&highlight=shake

Peace, G

Razor
01-08-10, 1:33 pm
I love Torrent, but have strayed for the sake of variety and make a homebrew of late like so...

10g Glutamine

In my training log I try to detail what I do workout to workout pre, intra and post. A few other concoctions:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=404&highlight=shake

Peace, G

Good deal. Thanks bro.

stumblin54
01-08-10, 4:18 pm
I drink mine immediately after my last set for whatever I'm training. The "hour window of opportunity" post-training is no BS.

Stumblin

Rida4life
01-08-10, 4:56 pm
I usually have my shake with me and after my workout towards the end of my cardio (30min) I start to drink it.

desolation
01-09-10, 12:15 am

just wondering whether this has anything to do with the fact that some science believes that your body will first want to replenish the emptied carbs stores (especially for the liver) and therefore the protein consumed will be turned into glucose and not stored as protein in the muscle? or whether it is directly aimed at protein?

i studied abit of nutrition and uni and thats what we were taught anyway, so i usually just have around 150g high GI carbs and a good 50g+ protein as soon as i finish my last set
but thats just me (im around 220 pounds at the moment and always starving post work out)

Pizzalamp
01-09-10, 10:08 am

10g Glutamine

[url]http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread...excellent G

Peace, G

looks like a delicious orange creamsickle...too bad universal doesnt make a creamsickle flavor...excellent G