PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing like loaded soup for the cold.

rev8ball
01-04-10, 3:38 pm
I got this recipe from a friend of mine, and it is fucking delish! It is loaded with great stuff, like beans, sweet potatoes, meat, etc..... great for keeping your kCals on the up and up. The recipe calls for buffalo (which is unbelieveable to begin with), but 4% ground beef works okay, too. Dig in!

2 tbsp olive oil (approx.)
½ yellow onion
1 cup : leeks (white part), sweet potato, celery, carrots
2-3 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 lb bison
Sea Salt, pepper ( to taste)
5-6 cups of beef stock
Water (optional, or add beef broth….which is what I did)
Tomatoes – cherry, strawberry (sweeter than the larger ones)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp molasses (unsulfured)
Pinch of cinnamon
2 cans of beans (drain half the liquid in each can) use pinto, kidney, northern, etc.

Sautee’ veggies and garlic in olive oil, until softened or for 10 minutes. Brown meat while veggies are cooking. Add salt and pepper , add meat. Stir in beef stock and tomatoes. Add cinnamon, molasses and tomato paste. Stir in beans. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

C.Coronato
01-04-10, 4:06 pm
Looks damn good Rev! Thanks brother.

mritter3
01-04-10, 6:33 pm
sounds damn tatsty...ton of goodies in there...and i can only assume a ton of calories.

rev8ball
01-04-10, 7:30 pm
sounds damn tatsty...ton of goodies in there...and i can only assume a ton of calories.

Probably, but it's all clean shit. Lots of just whole foods, and it tastes fucking awesome!

Girevik 69
02-04-10, 3:22 pm
Wow, that sounds really hearty.

Gotta love a good soup... you'd be hard pressed to find a more nutrient-dense meal, really. My father used to make a great chicken soup from a whole friggin' chicken... I was only a kid, and I unfortunately never paid enough attention to how he did it. I just remember the ingredients being a whole chicken, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, rice, and salt & pepper. He'd cook the thing in a huge metal pot, until the meat just fell off the carcass. He'd strain the bones out. He'd put the thing in the fridge, and the fat would coagulate and gel at the top... then he'd scrape that off, and put the thing back on the burner. It was so good.

A soup like that obviously has plenty of protein & carbs, but it is also a useful source of connective tissue-specific substrates, due to the collagen from the chicken carcass--good for the joints.