PDA

View Full Version : Upper Back!

Gio71
01-05-10, 3:15 pm
Whats good for upper back thickness

oh and dont tell me deadlift or barbell rows or dumbell rows

all routines here are like deadlifts barbell dumbell rows

these only worked my lower back thickness and above but not the upper, which is the most important i think.. lats are wide from downtown till uptown which i felt most from barbell rows but the thickness in upper portion need more work what can i do

mritter3
01-05-10, 3:24 pm
heavy pulldowns, heavy shrugs, t bar rows, and wide grip chins....im gonna say it as well, deads, and underhand rows heavy....stick with what works man....

Gio71
01-05-10, 3:39 pm
heavy pulldowns, heavy shrugs, t bar rows, and wide grip chins....im gonna say it as well, deads, and underhand rows heavy....stick with what works man....

Would it be ok like this ?

Chins 4x10-15
Rear Pulldowns 3x10-12
T-bar Rows 3x8-12
Barbell Rows 3x8-12
Hammer Stregh Pulldowns 3x8-12

The_Legacy
01-05-10, 3:44 pm
definatly have shrugs unless your going to do them on shoulder day, they build the thickness below and around the neck.

Gio71
01-05-10, 3:56 pm
definatly have shrugs unless your going to do them on shoulder day, they build the thickness below and around the neck.

yes i forgot them, i'll include them on back day

Reacher34
01-05-10, 3:58 pm
First of all, there is a reason a lot of replies say the same thing... it's because it works. However, I know what you mean when you say you feel like your lower back is more developed. I've stumbled onto something a few weeks ago that has done wonders for my upper back.

When you do heavy pulldowns, lean back a bit. I had always done them strict and stayed perpendicular to the ground. By leaning back slightly and changing the angle I can really feel my upper back contract. The pump when I'm done is obvious and it's made a big difference. Give it a try.

But for Pete's sake don't just brush aside the usual suspects like DLs and rows. Good luck.

Gio71
01-05-10, 4:01 pm
First of all, there is a reason a lot of replies say the same thing... it's because it works. However, I know what you mean when you say you feel like your lower back is more developed. I've stumbled onto something a few weeks ago that has done wonders for my upper back.

When you do heavy pulldowns, lean back a bit. I had always done them strict and stayed perpendicular to the ground. By leaning back slightly and changing the angle I can really feel my upper back contract. The pump when I'm done is obvious and it's made a big difference. Give it a try.

But for Pete's sake don't just brush aside the usual suspects like DLs and rows. Good luck.

Do you keep your chest up an lower the bar on upper chest when you lean back a bit?

Reacher34
01-05-10, 4:17 pm
Do you keep your chest up an lower the bar on upper chest when you lean back a bit?

Exactly, when I lean back slightly and pull the bar to the chest I can really feel the rhomboids and middle traps get involved. I don't think this is a big secret as a lot of people probably do it like this, but I personally just stumbled on it.

Gio71
01-05-10, 4:21 pm
Exactly, when I lean back slightly and pull the bar to the chest I can really feel the rhomboids and middle traps get involved. I don't think this is a big secret as a lot of people probably do it like this, but I personally just stumbled on it.

i will try it like this.. i saw lee haney doing it this way, i've done them straight before like you

calcaneous
01-05-10, 4:56 pm
i found that when doing my barbell rows:

if i bring the bar to my lower chest/upper ab area it hits my upper back alot.
if i bring the bar to my lower abs, below belly button, i can feel it in my lower lats.

hope that helps!

Muscleguy93
01-05-10, 4:57 pm
Deadlifts rows chins. If you don't deadlift forget about having a big back.

Gio71
01-05-10, 5:00 pm
i found that when doing my barbell rows:

if i bring the bar to my lower chest/upper ab area it hits my upper back alot.
if i bring the bar to my lower abs, below belly button, i can feel it in my lower lats.

hope that helps!

true, but if you bent over in a 90 degree angle it hits more of the upper back too

Gio71
01-05-10, 5:03 pm
Deadlifts rows chins. If you don't deadlift forget about having a big back.

my deadlift is pretty heavy thats why my lower back is thick as hell.. but in my opinion deadlifts are not the best exercise for upper back thickness

calcaneous
01-05-10, 5:04 pm
true, but if you bent over in a 90 degree angle it hits more of the upper back too

lol. very true, i just cant bend that much. if i start my back day with deads, my lowerback is shot. if i put alot of pressure on it before deads, my deadlift suffers.

im a big fan of deadlifts..its my bread and butter for back day.

Gio71
01-05-10, 5:07 pm
lol. very true, i just cant bend that much. if i start my back day with deads, my lowerback is shot. if i put alot of pressure on it before deads, my deadlift suffers.

im a big fan of deadlifts..its my bread and butter for back day.

i know that feeling... the more you bent the more pressure on the lower back and i dont think that after deadlift its good to bent that much, unless your going a bit lighter with the weights

BionicMasterPiece
01-05-10, 6:00 pm
Would it be ok like this ?

Chins 4x10-15
Rear Pulldowns 3x10-12
T-bar Rows 3x8-12
Barbell Rows 3x8-12
Hammer Stregh Pulldowns 3x8-12

wheres your deadlifts? deadlifts will build up your traps all the way down to your lower back, oh and cut out the pulldowns and machines....they wont do shit until youv built a solid physique.....truth told right thur

Reacher34
01-05-10, 7:26 pm
wheres your deadlifts? deadlifts will build up your traps all the way down to your lower back, oh and cut out the pulldowns and machines....they wont do shit until youv built a solid physique.....truth told right thur

While I agree with your point about deadlifts, I absolutely disagree with your assessment of pulldowns and machines. An outright statement like that seems narrow-minded to me. While neither should serve as a main mass-builder, I argue that pulldowns and hammerstrength rows could serve well as a STAPLE in all back workouts.

Mindaugas
01-05-10, 9:42 pm
What is your height and how much do you weigh?? How much do you deadlift?

Big Wides
01-05-10, 10:27 pm
If you are looking to build a large upper back power cleans and hang cleans get it nice and thick. These exercises recruit a ton of muscles that you can't hit from doing deads and rows. Its a different movement that works, just look at the olympic lifters and how big their backs/shoulders are.

Also pull-ups are helpful as well

JustRIOT
01-05-10, 11:04 pm
i got this from some previous thread. dont mean to steal anyones credit but here is a video that helped me improve my upper back.

Dorian Yates back training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka4BWmf1-Zc&feature=PlayList&p=AB07036FF94D5F6B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=40

hope this helps

prowrestler
01-05-10, 11:58 pm
face pulls

nuff said.

BryanSmash!
01-06-10, 12:20 am
Whats good for upper back thickness

Kelso Shrugs.

NaturalTrainee
01-06-10, 3:53 am
The good old bent over BB rows should do the trick. T bar rows are also a good substitute.

Gio71
01-06-10, 7:51 am
If you are looking to build a large upper back power cleans and hang cleans get it nice and thick. These exercises recruit a ton of muscles that you can't hit from doing deads and rows. Its a different movement that works, just look at the olympic lifters and how big their backs/shoulders are.

Also pull-ups are helpful as well

i will include them and see what happens, thanks bro

strivin for more
01-06-10, 5:37 pm
i dont think anyone said db rows?