PDA

View Full Version : What old people did back in the day

Maccabee
01-07-10, 2:09 pm
So I sat down with this lady and we started talking about life and health.

She is 83 years old. She cooks, cleans, and she can walk. For her age she is very mobile.

She doesnt know much about nutrition. So here are some of the things she does.

1. When she was a young adult her grandfather had a chicken farm in Russia. The man sold eggs for a living. She ate 4-6 RAW EGGS every day. When ever they worked and an egg cracked they would open that hole and suck it out.

2. She walks outside all the time. She is always getting fresh air.

3. She massages herself before going to bed every night (arms, legs). In our case since we are more advanced in a way we can get foam rollers or get a massage from a professional.

4. Before eating beef, veal, or chicken she boils it for like 2-5 minutes. Takes all the fat off the top. She then makes what ever meal she desires.

5. Little to no carbs and mass quantities of fruits and veggies.

This is not a big deal and some of you already do this in one way or another, but its intresting for me to see what our elders did in the past to stay healthy.

ALSO, the weirdest part and I dont know if this helps at all. She said that before she went to give birth she drank 6 RAW EGGS. She had a lot of kids and each birth lasted like 3-4 hours. I am amazed to see how scared people are to consume raw eggs. This lady is drank gallons probably in her life so far lol.

If anyone has anything to share about what old people did back in the day feel free to post it up.

U Mad Brah?
01-07-10, 2:21 pm
Can't go wrong with a mostly natural food diet brah. Sure beats the processed foods that most eat these days brahs.

Birdman
01-07-10, 2:30 pm
at 83 shes gotta be doin somethin right ha, but as far as raw eggs go they do more harm to the body than they help, i wouldnt recommend eating eggs unless they are cooked

squattingtillipuke
01-07-10, 3:23 pm
Waiting on FireDrake to tell us how it was...JK (GRIN)

GJN5002
01-07-10, 3:38 pm
at 83 shes gotta be doin somethin right ha, but as far as raw eggs go they do more harm to the body than they help, i wouldnt recommend eating eggs unless they are cooked

could you please explain that?

I'm all in favor of raw eggs, milk etc. I'm condsidering switching to a partially raw diet, need to learn more first.

smith06
01-07-10, 3:46 pm
My dad always talked about his grandpa eating 4 or 5 raw eggs every morning with a glass of raw milk. He would also eat eggs when he would crack them while gathering. He lived to be in his 60's and had a heart attack while working in the fields.

InkdMuscle
01-07-10, 4:45 pm
My dad always talked about his grandpa eating 4 or 5 raw eggs every morning with a glass of raw milk. He would also eat eggs when he would crack them while gathering. He lived to be in his 60's and had a heart attack while working in the fields.

in high school durring football, wrestling, boxing(so all year around). i used to consume 2-3 raw eggs with milk a day. that was 11 years ago and im actually pretty well off health whys.

Birdman
01-07-10, 4:57 pm
could you please explain that?

I'm all in favor of raw eggs, milk etc. I'm condsidering switching to a partially raw diet, need to learn more first.

No problem man..one of my nutrition professors actually explained this to me last semester.
Within the egg whites of raw eggs is a protein called Avidin. When Avidin enters the body it attaches itself to Biotin. Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that is crucial for cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids. With the Avidin binding the biotin in your muscles you can become deficient in this necessary vitamin. When one cooks an egg the protein Avidin is denatured and no longer posses a threat to your biotin levels.

GJN5002
01-07-10, 5:19 pm
No problem man..one of my nutrition professors actually explained this to me last semester.
Within the egg whites of raw eggs is a protein called Avidin. When Avidin enters the body it attaches itself to Biotin. Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that is crucial for cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids. With the Avidin binding the biotin in your muscles you can become deficient in this necessary vitamin. When one cooks an egg the protein Avidin is denatured and no longer posses a threat to your biotin levels.

I thought that was what you were referring to.

The remedy Ive found is, if you have your raw eggs in the a.m. take your vitamins later in the day and youve got your B vitamins. Did he say anything about the lenght of time that it inhibits absorbtion?

Birdman
01-07-10, 5:35 pm
not that i recall but i would venture to say that your body has more biotin than the amount of avidin in the eggs. I was just thinking that over months at a time that if you didnt take in large dosages of biotin that the avidin could catch up with you and leave you in a deficiency. Just take ur multi, drink alot of milk, and always eat the whole raw egg and not just the egg white (since the yolk contains one of the highest amounts of biotin in nature) you will be fine. I wasnt trying to dis on consuming raw eggs, just giving a possible downside of it so everyone can watch there biotin levels.
The average adult needs approximately 100-200 micrograms, so for us that are bodybuilding and beating the hell out of our bodies daily, probably more like 250-300mcg, especially with the introduction of avidin

Kryptonite
01-07-10, 11:07 pm
So I sat down with this lady and we started talking about life and health.

She is 83 years old. She cooks, cleans, and she can walk. For her age she is very mobile.

She doesnt know much about nutrition. So here are some of the things she does.

1. When she was a young adult her grandfather had a chicken farm in Russia. The man sold eggs for a living. She ate 4-6 RAW EGGS every day. When ever they worked and an egg cracked they would open that hole and suck it out.

2. She walks outside all the time. She is always getting fresh air.

3. She massages herself before going to bed every night (arms, legs). In our case since we are more advanced in a way we can get foam rollers or get a massage from a professional.

4. Before eating beef, veal, or chicken she boils it for like 2-5 minutes. Takes all the fat off the top. She then makes what ever meal she desires.

5. Little to no carbs and mass quantities of fruits and veggies.

This is not a big deal and some of you already do this in one way or another, but its intresting for me to see what our elders did in the past to stay healthy.

ALSO, the weirdest part and I dont know if this helps at all. She said that before she went to give birth she drank 6 RAW EGGS. She had a lot of kids and each birth lasted like 3-4 hours. I am amazed to see how scared people are to consume raw eggs. This lady is drank gallons probably in her life so far lol.

If anyone has anything to share about what old people did back in the day feel free to post it up.

My grandfather is 88. He still works around the house, tending to his garden daily, shovelling on snowy days, he never stops moving. He's always told me these two things: Never eat until you're full and always be busy. He has never worked out a day in his life (Excluding training he did in the military for WWII.) and is in better shape and healthier than most who do. The one thing I've noticed is that they very rarely eat premade food, including restaurant food. His wife (and my grandmother) is the typic Italian housewife. She cooks and cleans all day, everything they eat is home made. And she's about 9 years younger than him. They're more mobile than most newlyweds of today!

Birdman
01-07-10, 11:38 pm
Home made food is the way to go, tastes better and is better for ya too. Premade shit has all the preservatives and man made substances. Kinda ironic that the more "scientific advances" we make in engineering and preserving food the higher the obesity, diabetes, and cancer rates go.

Universal Rep
01-08-10, 11:35 am
What'd old people do back in the day? They ain't a whole lot cleaner than they do today, that's for sure...

U Mad Brah?
01-21-10, 5:28 pm
What'd old people do back in the day? They ain't a whole lot cleaner than they do today, that's for sure...

You mean bathing u rep brah?

Universal Rep
01-25-10, 1:21 pm
You mean bathing u rep brah?

Hahaha... Brother, you are the cat's meow.

The_Legacy
01-25-10, 1:36 pm
the quality of food could possibly be more natural back then, not animals on hormones and shit.

On Letting Go
01-27-10, 9:17 am

Dude, this is only a risk if you are consuming raw EGG WHITES only. Egg yolks are rich in Biotin... which will offset any binding that is done by the Avidin.

Eggs come complete from nature.

NickSP
01-27-10, 2:44 pm
I still wouldn't recommend eating a bunch of raw eggs because someone lives well at that age after having done it. I'll have to look through some old notes.

And wouldn't you say "mass quantities of fruit" and "little to no carbs" are sort of contradictory?

Kryptonite
01-27-10, 3:41 pm
I still wouldn't recommend eating a bunch of raw eggs because someone lives well at that age after having done it. I'll have to look through some old notes.

And wouldn't you say "mass quantities of fruit" and "little to no carbs" are sort of contradictory?

We're just discussing the possibilities, not the facts.

I'm almost positive that fruits are a negative calorie food. Which means that they burn more calories being digested than you ingested from that particular fruit. So, I'm not sure if I would go right in and say he is contradicting himself.

Birdman
01-27-10, 10:05 pm
We're just discussing the possibilities, not the facts.

I'm almost positive that fruits are a negative calorie food. Which means that they burn more calories being digested than you ingested from that particular fruit. So, I'm not sure if I would go right in and say he is contradicting himself.

exactly my point bro...how shit works on paper isnt always how it works out in the grind

Maccabee
01-27-10, 11:56 pm

Oh sorry.

I was referring to like she doesnt eat things like rice, potatoes, and oatmeal like the way we do.

She eats fruits and veggies through out the day. I was exagerating when I said mass quantities. I did not mean like 20 fruits lol.