PDA

View Full Version : Exercise related careers???

smith06
01-13-10, 6:44 pm
I'm currently in between careers. I was just wondering if any of my fellow animals are in exercise related careers?? Strength Coaches, Personal Trainers, Physical therapy field, etc?? I'm just really lost right now with no direction.

What kinda training/schooling did it take? Just give me the basic rundown.. Any opinions are appreciated.

msktyshha
01-13-10, 8:22 pm
personal training requires a certification you can search online for various certifications in your area. Most health clubs also require atleast a bachelors in exercise science, others just require a certification and a degree is a plus.

smith06
01-13-10, 8:28 pm
I've looked into it at that level. I'm just interested in opinions from others. Experiences, perks, rewards, etc.

I would much rather avoid working in a "health club" or "fitness center". But I know if I went the route of being a personal trainer thats where I'd end up.

Firefist
01-13-10, 8:44 pm
i know a few of the guys around here that are going into Physical therapy, im a student going for it right now. ill tell you the classes are tough as fuck, but the pay and enjoyment of work will be worth it.

you can do alot of things with an exercise science degree, go into training, teaching, research, director of college rec or other facilities, go onto Physical therapy school, cardiac rehab, nursing, etc, there are plenty of ways to run with it.

smith06
01-13-10, 8:48 pm
i know a few of the guys around here that are going into Physical therapy, im a student going for it right now. ill tell you the classes are tough as fuck, but the pay and enjoyment of work will be worth it.

you can do alot of things with an exercise science degree, go into training, teaching, research, director of college rec or other facilities, go onto Physical therapy school, cardiac rehab, nursing, etc, there are plenty of ways to run with it.

Thanks bro. I started out going into Law Enforcement. It didn't pan out. The school I was going to will roll over 15 credits towards an associates in PT. I just have no experience in it, never job shadowed it or anything. And the guidance at this school is fucked worse than a $3 dollar whore on payday.

Firefist
01-13-10, 9:12 pm
i understand man, um....try talkin to some physical therapists in the field. in the most unbiased way possible, i mean this when i say that every physical therapist that i ask(whether teaching or practicing) absolutely loves thier job. they say the hours arent strenous, the pay is good, theres no on-call duty, they get to spend regular with thier families. the only shitty thing was that the classes were tough.

also, if you are considering PT, you may want think about the road in choosing either PT assistant or a practicing PT. In the next few years, they are supposively going to make it manditory for all practicing physical therapists have a DPT. it may be in your best interest if you are going for a prac. PT to choose a college that has a DPT program, such as YSU, Dayton, OSU, etc.

smith06
01-13-10, 9:37 pm
i understand man, um....try talkin to some physical therapists in the field. in the most unbiased way possible, i mean this when i say that every physical therapist that i ask(whether teaching or practicing) absolutely loves thier job. they say the hours arent strenous, the pay is good, theres no on-call duty, they get to spend regular with thier families. the only shitty thing was that the classes were tough.

also, if you are considering PT, you may want think about the road in choosing either PT assistant or a practicing PT. In the next few years, they are supposively going to make it manditory for all practicing physical therapists have a DPT. it may be in your best interest if you are going for a prac. PT to choose a college that has a DPT program, such as YSU, Dayton, OSU, etc.

I'm 22 man. I'm ready to get to work and tired of temp jobs and being laid off. If I'd go the route i'd definitely start off as a PTA.

rlopez4550
01-17-10, 7:15 pm
One thing to research if you saying 'start off as a pta' is how transferable it is into further education in the direction of being a Physical Therapist. When i was looking into it there werent a whole lot of places that accommodated this

fos3050
01-17-10, 7:32 pm
I'm currently in between careers. I was just wondering if any of my fellow animals are in exercise related careers?? Strength Coaches, Personal Trainers, Physical therapy field, etc?? I'm just really lost right now with no direction.

What kinda training/schooling did it take? Just give me the basic rundown.. Any opinions are appreciated.

Hey! I guess I can give you a little advice here. I have my M.S. in Exercise Science and I am a certified personal trainer through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM). I obtained my degree and cert through California Universities global online program-check it out, its an awesome program- but alot of hard work, as with anything. I am the assistant director of a wellness center for a YMCA. I also instruct 9 fitness classes a week and personal train on the side, and still am not making nearly enough as what I deserve with a M.S. As far as career paths-unless you have a B.S. in business of some sort, which I do-management of a facility isnt likely. As far as personal training- look at your area and population. In the East coast, its harder to make a living doing PT and its used more so as a supplemental income. West coast or even down south- its a different story. You do have to be highly motivated to obtain clients and keep the ball rolling. and its alot of marketing yourself. As far as the medical field, a M.S. degree doesnt really open a lot of doors without some other degree in the field or experience. SO. I myself am looking into going back to school to obtain my Dr. in Physical Therapy. That is the good thing about having my M.S. in Exercise Science- it allows me to go right into the doctoral program for physical therapy. Hope this helps a little.

fos3050
01-17-10, 7:46 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention. If you plan on personal training- your schedule is pretty much dependent upon the clients schedule. Which I hate about the profession. Its hard to have a normal life. If you want to make money, making time for your clients is #1 priority. SO basically your time revolves around theirs. Unless you work somewhere with set hours. which normally isnt the case. Its not like an hourly job where you make $50 an hour. If you only have one client and see them 3 xs a week, well... you get my point. I also VOLUNTEER as a strength and conditioning coach at California University of PA and work with their sports teams, but I wouldnt be able to without my degree/certification. and its only volunteer. With the right connections though- it could be a very lucrative full time position, but normally there is only one head S&C coach per college bc of regulations and rules. So even that path is highly competitive.

Also, nowadays....places only want certs from top affiliations like ACSM or NASM, which arent cheap. Mine was close to $900, and was included in my tuition. Most certs require you to have continuing education credits which mine are like $60 a credit and off hand I cant think of how many credits I need to recertify. I have to get recertified every 2 yrs and the recert exam is $100. If you arent making good money training, you barely break even. Im debating whether or not to recert this year or not. In my area- it just doesnt seem to be worth it. However, I do enjoy personal training for the simple fact I love helping people get in shape and reach their goals. But I have to make a living too!

fos3050
01-17-10, 7:50 pm

As of last year it is now mandatory to have a DPT to practice as a Physical Therapist.

smith06
01-17-10, 9:24 pm
I appreciate the insight. I just know I need to do something. And quick.

Big C
01-17-10, 10:03 pm
I'm doing the Physical therapist assistant program at Stark and I love it so far. I love helping and working with people and I'll get to be around exercise equipment all day if I decide to work with outpatients.