PDA

View Full Version : Shrugs: Dumbbell vs. Barbell

zHazzarD
01-14-10, 6:05 pm
I personally would have to say that doing shrugs with dumbells ranging from 50-80 lbs with better form for more reps is better than doing shrugs with the barbell with like 225 lbs for less reps... Let me know what you guys think

BionicMasterPiece
01-14-10, 7:03 pm
I personally would have to say that doing shrugs with dumbells ranging from 50-80 lbs with better form for more reps is better than doing shrugs with the barbell with like 225 lbs for less reps... Let me know what you guys think

I like peanut butter better than jelly....period.....

Rofl....just messin....but yeah thats cool man, what ever works better for you, some people have very strong grip so they can do alot on the barbell, but for people who dont, dumbbells are king in that department.

Ardent
01-14-10, 7:05 pm
I like it all. Good to hit the old traps from all angles.

desolation
01-14-10, 10:27 pm
I like peanut butter better than jelly....period.....

Rofl....just messin....but yeah thats cool man, what ever works better for you, some people have very strong grip so they can do alot on the barbell, but for people who dont, dumbbells are king in that department.

Haha nice one

to the question i prefer bb shrugs i start of lighter for more reps and finish with heavy for low reps, i actually feel like i have better shrug motion with a barbell but thats just me

but dumbbells are pretty bad too

peace

deerenheimer
01-14-10, 11:03 pm
Its all weight, whatever feels good to you. In my opinion I would say heavier barbell, Dont get me wrong dumbbells have their place, but for mass, its going to be HEAVY ass barbell shrugs. Its not just the up and down motion of the shrug but also the holding of Heavy weight that will really get them bad boys to pop up. I do 5x5, on the last rep of each set I hold the weight for about 5 sec...... It works!

MELTDOWN
01-14-10, 11:49 pm
IMO, a good "working" shrug is held at the top for a 1 or 2 count regardless. I almost wanna puke when I see someone with a stack of 45's on each side that can barely pull the bar off the rack, then have to almost jump to even make it look like a shrug. Reminds me of some weird calf raise movement. Yeah, those plates ringing together sound good, and most people stand in awe at the sight, but the movement is wasted. If they would back off on the weight and use good form, shoulders to ears, the traps would make the neckline disappear.
And if ya REALLY want to target the traps, grab the DB (good useable weight, again), drop to your knees and shrug from there. Takes all the momentum out of the legs and hips and you really have to pull thru the traps.
Carry On !!!

theharjmann
01-15-10, 4:31 am
I almost wanna puke when I see someone with a stack of 45's on each side that can barely pull the bar off the rack, then have to almost jump to even make it look like a shrug. Reminds me of some weird calf raise movement. Yeah, those plates ringing together sound good, and most people stand in awe at the sight, but the movement is wasted. If they would back off on the weight and use good form, shoulders to ears, the traps would make the neckline disappear.

I understand what you are saying here for sure, however for me i feel that stupid ass heavy weight does have its place.

When i shrug i try to use all types of weight....light,. medium, heavy and stupidly heavy. If i havent shrugged really heavy weight (without sacrificing form and risking injury), my traps just arent sore in the morning as much.

Dont get me wrong, i'm a huge advocate of perfect form, however when it comes to shrugs i just feel that holding some heavy weight by your sides is what puts the mass onto the traps also.

Look at strongmen....they hardly shrug but they do a lot of farmers walk etc and their traps are huge!

All the above, though, works for me. I know somebody who does shrugs with perfect form who has awesome traps....its just about finding what works for you i suppose.

TheTinyHulk
01-15-10, 6:33 am
"its just about finding what works for you i suppose."

Well put, we all respond differently to various training methods. If it works for you, keep doing it.

I like hitting the DBs and Barbell, never go crazy heavy though. I think the DBs give a better/more natural range of motion, but I wouldn't only rely on them.

ironshaolin
01-15-10, 10:28 am
Jump shrugs are an olympic movement designed to help people get power on the second pull. They are definately a solid excersise. I believe its all about hitting shrugs with the heaviest weight you can still dominante the reps with. Dominating shrugs with 7 plates a side will definately make you have better traps than if you can only dominate 2 plates.

mritter3
01-15-10, 10:33 am
i personally switch back and forth between db and bb for shrugs, i like using db because i can focus more on the squeeze, but i love throwing massive amt. of weight on the bb and doing it as well...its a matter of preference.

BionicMasterPiece
01-15-10, 10:38 am
IMO, a good "working" shrug is held at the top for a 1 or 2 count regardless. I almost wanna puke when I see someone with a stack of 45's on each side that can barely pull the bar off the rack, then have to almost jump to even make it look like a shrug. Reminds me of some weird calf raise movement. Yeah, those plates ringing together sound good, and most people stand in awe at the sight, but the movement is wasted. If they would back off on the weight and use good form, shoulders to ears, the traps would make the neckline disappear.
And if ya REALLY want to target the traps, grab the DB (good useable weight, again), drop to your knees and shrug from there. Takes all the momentum out of the legs and hips and you really have to pull thru the traps.
Carry On !!!

its also genetics and never squeeze at the top and my traps are overgrown

MELTDOWN
01-15-10, 10:38 pm
I understand what you are saying here for sure, however for me i feel that stupid ass heavy weight does have its place.

When i shrug i try to use all types of weight....light,. medium, heavy and stupidly heavy. If i havent shrugged really heavy weight (without sacrificing form and risking injury), my traps just arent sore in the morning as much.

Dont get me wrong, i'm a huge advocate of perfect form, however when it comes to shrugs i just feel that holding some heavy weight by your sides is what puts the mass onto the traps also.

Look at strongmen....they hardly shrug but they do a lot of farmers walk etc and their traps are huge!

All the above, though, works for me. I know somebody who does shrugs with perfect form who has awesome traps....its just about finding what works for you i suppose.

Good post and point well taken.

GUNS
01-16-10, 4:49 am
Some if not alot of high traps are genetic. But you can get them big by heavy ass work. But as suggested, change it up, supersets, high reps, low reps, jump shrugs with negatives. Whatever works for you. I recently added 1 minute hangs with the heaviest DBs you have. doing 2 sets now. Let your shoulders completely stretch down. I have some added soreness with these so they are working. Just keep changing it up. It is a stubborn muscle for most.

Littlefry
01-16-10, 12:22 pm
Depends on the indvidual really. Some people like barbell some like dumbbell. Some dont even work there traps at all and they are still huge largly due in part to genetics.

smith06
01-16-10, 5:27 pm
I hit my trapos every which way but loose. I'll use the 85's and isolate each trap... I'll use the 120's for a set of 20.. I'll do these seated also.. Ill put 135 on the bar and squeeze 'em as high as I can..or I'll overload the bar to where I can barely grip it.

All of these have their place.. Lightweight high reps to stimulate them... Heavyweight for deadlift lockout and grip strength. I also rarely do forearm movements. So, my shrugs gotta pump 'em too.

zHazzarD
01-17-10, 1:18 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it is good to work them differently once in a while...Ill try some of these out. Thanks

bigkahuna
01-17-10, 7:35 pm
How many sets do you guys do for shrugs ?

NaturalTrainee
01-18-10, 7:40 am
A tip for DB shrugs I find effective is to pull your shoulders up and back at the same time. It will create a different feeling.

smith06
01-18-10, 10:54 am
A tip for DB shrugs I find effective is to pull your shoulders up and back at the same time. It will create a different feeling.

I do this while doing seated DB shrugs. Its the natural movement.

The_Legacy
01-18-10, 1:58 pm
well, like everyone says it should be held for a count and it shouldn't matter about the weight. db shrugs and bb shrugs hit different areas, both are beneficial