PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Problemo

Sho
01-16-10, 9:15 pm
k so Ive been doing the DL since i stared this game a few years back. Ive built my self up to a 420lbs lift or so and I'm quite proud of this accomplishment. I simply love this lift.

My problem is that for the past couple of months if i even slightly screw up on my form only by a little it feels like a pull the right side of my lower back muscle and that puts me out for a about a week, like sleeping on the hardwood and shit, and it drops my gains by about 20% or so depending on the severity of the tweak.

I'm really starting to get concerned if this reoccurring injury is just gonna get worse over time. I try to warm it up and stretch it out as much as possible, but still i get this same injury if i fuck up even in the slightest on technique.

Should i quit the DL altogether or keep at it? what u guys think?

BionicMasterPiece
01-16-10, 9:30 pm
k so Ive been doing the DL since i stared this game a few years back. Ive built my self up to a 420lbs lift or so and I'm quite proud of this accomplishment. I simply love this lift.

My problem is that for the past couple of months if i even slightly screw up on my form only by a little it feels like a pull the right side of my lower back muscle and that puts me out for a about a week, like sleeping on the hardwood and shit, and it drops my gains by about 20% or so depending on the severity of the tweak.

I'm really starting to get concerned if this reoccurring injury is just gonna get worse over time. I try to warm it up and stretch it out as much as possible, but still i get this same injury if i fuck up even in the slightest on technique.

Should i quit the DL altogether or keep at it? what u guys think?

I got the same problem too, try switching up your reps, stop going super duper heavy every week, oh try rack deadlifts those are great. But if the pain is that bad get it checked up.

mcbeast
01-16-10, 10:17 pm
Lay off deadlifting for a few weeks. Try some contrast showers. Ensure you are warming up properly, try some dynamic stretching as well. Drop the weight, or work off a % program. If your max is 420, you shouldnt be doing anything over 405 on a week to week basis unless a specific program calls for it.

Mindaugas
01-17-10, 3:35 pm
Try doing them at the end of the workout with higher reps 8-12. Your muscles will be fatigued and you won't need to use big weights to work your muscles

rlopez4550
01-17-10, 7:03 pm
I had a few problems deadlifting here and there also. I was repping 405 and as i set the weight down i suddenly went for an extra rep without keeping my form and popped out my back.

First off your 're occurring' injury may just have not healed all the way! Stop deadlifting for a few weeks you will be just fine missing a few pulls over the course of a month. Also make sure your stretching! your hamstrings and lower back, especially after a minor injury are going to be very tight.

I stopped deadlifting and squatting for about 3 weeks and the first few times I did I went very light at first focusing just on my form and contraction. I also warmed up with some slow hyper extensions which also helped me stretch out. Hope this helps and be patient!

Honestly 3 weeks probably isnt even enough. Most doctors would probably say around 4-6 but what do they know

slainte151
01-18-10, 1:54 am
i had the same thing, its a sign you used a lot of back to pull the weight. i made about a 5-6 inch platform to pull off of so i could train myself to go lower in the hole and use more legs and less back. and then i also only deadlifted every other week and rack pulled in between those weeks.