PDA

View Full Version : When to start cutting. Deadline is June 30

JustRIOT
01-19-10, 7:34 pm
Hey guys, im new to this bulking and cutting. Ive read a few threads in the past, but i cant seem to find them anymore. Links to routines will be much appreciated!

Anyways, I am currently bulking, and i have been bulking for the last 4 months. I was at 150 lbs at 5'9'' when i started, and I now weigh 185 lbs with 20% bf.

I plan on bulking until March as i tip the scale at 190-200lbs, but i wanted to know from more experienced bodybuilders when to stop bulking and start cutting, and how long it will take to get down to 10-12% bf range.

If it is possible, I wanted the deadline to be June 30 (my birthday).

Correct me if i am wrong, but when i start my cutting phase, do i need to do more reps per sets, more cardio, and consume less calories than i burn off?

zanderfever
01-19-10, 7:54 pm
Correct me if i am wrong, but when i start my cutting phase, do i need to do more reps per sets, more cardio, and consume less calories than i burn off?

This is what I know the most about so I'll chime in for this. You should not alter your training program to much, if at all. If you can gain muscle with it I suggest you maintain it in order to give your body a reason to keep the muscle. If you increase reps and decrease weights than you shift the emphasis to working the slow twitch muscle fibers that do not get big and take away your need for fast twitch muscle fibers, the ones you want. The only training aspect that should change is adding in cardio for at least three sessions a week and steadily increase that as time goes on.

Hope this helps

shizz702
01-19-10, 8:06 pm
Stick with heavy weights, that's what put the muscle on, and that's what's gonna keep it.

JustRIOT
01-19-10, 8:19 pm
thanks for the advice, ill stick to my heavy weights throughout the cutting phase and add in more cardio. I woudlnt want to lose any of my muscle, just my body fat.

I go to the gym 5 days a week, and once i add cardio (30 min after lifting), how long would it usually take to burn off the bf from 20% to 10%?? this way, i can know when to start my cutting phase becuase my deadline is june 30.

NaturalTrainee
01-20-10, 3:33 am
To cut means to lower your bodyfat percentage. So, keep your program as it is, do cardio 1 hour a day upon waking up or after your workout since at those times you can more effectively target your body's fat storage and reduce the ammount of calories to a degree.

J Wong
01-20-10, 7:59 am
At 20% you might want to consider cutting a little sooner.

The_Legacy
01-20-10, 1:46 pm
I'd say start cutting around mid march, a 16 week cut should do it.

PORTERHOUSE
01-20-10, 5:03 pm
At 20% you might want to consider cutting a little sooner.

I agree w. this. If your at 20% getting down to 10% is already a big drop, and the higher your bf% goes, the longer its going to take.

JustRIOT
01-20-10, 8:06 pm
this is great information. thanks.

i have a question about eating during the cutting phase. will i have to change how much i eat or can i keep eating the same amount as i did while bulking?

TheTinyHulk
01-21-10, 6:43 am
this is great information. thanks.

i have a question about eating during the cutting phase. will i have to change how much i eat or can i keep eating the same amount as i did while bulking?

You have to create a favorable imbalance of calories out to calories in, obviously you're not going to stop eating or you'll lose gains and your body will shut down. There are cutting diets in the diet section on the site. Most likely you'll have to eat cleaner, and cut down on your carb intake.