PDA

View Full Version : Are my lifts any good ?

mr.bump
01-24-10, 2:14 pm
8 weeks ago I started of at 170lbs and from what use said around 20% bf am now around 175 dont know bf will post pic tomrow tho.

8 weeks ago
shoulderpress 5 x 5 (30kg)
Deadlifts (50kg)
Bent Over Rows 5 x 5 (40kg)
squats 5 x 5 (40 kg could do 50kg but was hard so whent back to 40)

now
one arm dumbell press 35kg/77lbs
shoulder press 35kg/77lbs (dont know why this hasnt went up)
squat 70/75kg/165lbs
deadlift 85kg/187 have done 90kg with under and over grip
barbel row 60kg

prowrestler
01-24-10, 2:44 pm
they are average beginner lifts.

mr.bump
01-24-10, 2:59 pm
I want to set a goal for my self what realistic weight should I aim for for around the end of march ? bodyweight and weight on the bar ?

Firefist
01-24-10, 2:59 pm
good is relative brother. strength is relative. a good quote....err....goes something along the lines of this...

"Heavy to you, heavy to me, heavy to your uncle ned and heavy to sam byrd are not the same."

any gains are good, and considering youve been at it for only 2 months, your not doing bad at all. compared to some other dudes on here, youve got alot of ground to cover my freind, and thats totally alright. This game is a process, and everyone starts somewhere. my numbers were weaker than yours when i was at 2 months, and i aint ashamed to admit that.

just eat well and train hard, and youll be well on your way.

mr.bump
01-24-10, 3:04 pm
Ive lifted befor but this time am doing it properly.
and when I said are they good I just ment compared to most beginers around my size

Firefist
01-24-10, 3:13 pm
Ive lifted befor but this time am doing it properly.
and when I said are they good I just ment compared to most beginers around my size

thats a hard question to answer.

i know kids on a high school freshman wrestling team that are small, short, light guys, but put up 225 for reps on squat. then i know kids on the freshman football team who are 50-100 pounds heavier than them and struggle with 135 plus a dime or two on each side for reps. all the kids started lifting at the same time with similar programs just to get them started in weight training.

everyone is different, grows differently, responds differently to different things. worry about getting your own numbers up before you start chasing after other peoples numbers.

MrMonday
01-24-10, 3:32 pm
I personally recommend people aim for:

1.5xbodyweight bench press
2xbodyweight squat
2.5xbodyweight deadlift

(bodyweight in pounds of course)

Or to make things simpler just work your ass off until you're in the 3/4/5 club.

prowrestler
01-24-10, 5:39 pm
I want to set a goal for my self what realistic weight should I aim for for around the end of march ? bodyweight and weight on the bar ?

aim for as high as possible. fuck limits.

you are thinkin of shit that doesnt matter. stop.

concern yourself with eating big and clean, and doing better each and every workout. THEN see where you fall in 2 mths

toobigfred
01-24-10, 5:50 pm
I agree with all of the above, aim for yor best each and every time, weight is realtive, it is the work and effort that you put in that counts, what is heavy to you and me are different, the work we put in is what counts.

ironshaolin
01-24-10, 6:34 pm
There are no unrealistic goals, just unrealistic time frames. Typically, the biggest thing separating the guys squatting 500lbs and the guys squatting 200lbs is a bout 10 years of lifting experience. Just work hard and heavy, look into Wendler's 5/3/1 and you'll consistently make good strength gains over the next few years. If you are squatting 165 right now, and in one year you're squatting 265, then you made great progress and should feel proud.

BionicMasterPiece
01-24-10, 7:16 pm
8 weeks ago I started of at 170lbs and from what use said around 20% bf am now around 175 dont know bf will post pic tomrow tho.

8 weeks ago
Deadlifts (50kg)

now
squat 70/75kg/165lbs
barbel row 60kg

those are just numbers, it depends how you lift it, are you giving it your all out there? how intense is your training? dont worry about the numbers, those just lead to injuries or a big ego in vice versa, if your benching 100 pounds for 5 reps but your training with 110 percent then kudos to you, or if you benching 225 for 5 and saying aww I coulda done more! then ....UP YOURS! lol.....

DA GOVNA
01-24-10, 7:21 pm
YES! who cares about numbers man they will improve over time, what matters is THAT you lift. Lifting consistently is what people dont do these days so the fact you lift is awesome keep it up and this time next year you will look back and laugh at those numbers.

t_mh
01-24-10, 7:34 pm
aim for as high as possible. fuck limits.

you are thinkin of shit that doesnt matter. stop.

concern yourself with eating big and clean, and doing better each and every workout. THEN see where you fall in 2 mths

So you're saying people shouldn't set goals?

U Mad Brah?
01-24-10, 8:15 pm

don't ya know, goals are overrated brah? animal brahs are beyond goals brahs. just train hard and fuck everything else my good forvm brahonies.

Firefist
01-24-10, 9:15 pm
brahonies.

thats a new one.

DA GOVNA
01-25-10, 7:49 am

He said 2 goals in that quote..."eat big and clean, see where you are in 2 months"

BionicMasterPiece
01-25-10, 10:20 am
don't ya know, goals are overrated brah? animal brahs are beyond goals brahs. just train hard and fuck everything else my good forvm brahonies.

well said

live2lift
01-25-10, 1:05 pm

8 weeks ago
Deadlifts (50kg)

now
squat 70/75kg/165lbs
barbel row 60kg

The most important thing I am seeing here is progress. Once you stop seeing progress then you need to change something, but as for now you are increasing your lifts and that is IMO the most important aspect. With strength comes size...no way around it. And remember, like others have said, heavy is a relative term...as long as you are lifting what is heavy for you then who cares what others are lifting.

Peace

Universal Rep
01-25-10, 1:20 pm

This.

Ya don't need validation from us, MB. What you can do is what you can do. What you can change is what you wanna do about what it is you can do. The fact that you do tells me you're on the right path.

The_Legacy
01-25-10, 1:38 pm
Seems like your on the right path, your weight is going up and you've lost fat. good work.

prowrestler
01-25-10, 3:25 pm

people should set goals...not ask for them.

in training, there are way too many variables to set specific goals..so why not just aim to be the best you can be?

theharjmann
01-27-10, 4:19 am

8 weeks ago
Deadlifts (50kg)

now
squat 70/75kg/165lbs
barbel row 60kg

This seems like a bit of a silly question.

shouldn't you be asking yourself that question?

If you were to ask me this question, i would say those lifts are very shit because i have been training for 3 years now and like to lift heavy. However if i had been training one week i would say those lifts are still shit. But thats just me.

It all depends on what you want....if you want to "maintain" like an average gym joey then i suppose they are good. But it you want to be the strongest mother fucker there is then they are shit. If you want to be a bodybuilder then it doesnt matter at all what you are lifting....it all depends on what you look like in the mirror.

So, in answer to your question: understand yourself what YOUR goals are and you will be able to answer the question yourself.

ironshaolin
01-27-10, 1:24 pm
people should set goals...not ask for them.

in training, there are way too many variables to set specific goals..so why not just aim to be the best you can be?

A goal properly set is already half way met.

Setting goals needs to have the S.M.A.R.T formula-specific, measurable, attainable, Realistic and timed.

Setting a goal of "to be the best I can be" lacks all those formulas. While setting the goal of, I want to be an IFBB pro and become next Mr. Olympia may be unrealistic, it wouldn't be impossible for an average gym rat to say, I want to weigh 190lbs at 6% bodyfat and compete in a local bodybuilding show. Same goes for strength-perhaps saying, I want to be a world record bench press holder and bench 900lbs raw might be unrealistic, ANYONE should be able to get to a 300lb bench press, given enough time, focus, and proper planning.

To some of the other comments made-having a respectable physique may NOT mean that you have to use super heavy weights, but thats all relative. The people who DO have great physiques and say they don't lift that heavy might be benching 315 for sets of 10. To them, its not a 1 rep max, but its still an appreciable weight. I think FAR too many trainees get stuck into that mindset, that strength doesn't matter, and its the contraction and muscle stimulation that causes growth, but then their bench press never goes beyond 185, and they never get big. Keep that in mind, next time someone says you don't need heavy weights to get big. Ask-does this person have an ideal physique? If they do, what do their numbers look like? I've never heard of someone getting huge on 2 plate squats. Tom Platz often said he prefered higher reps with lighter weights to grow his legs. This is true, but he also squatted 500lbs 22 times! Granted, 22 reps is high reps, but 500lbs would crush most of your average gym trainees at 1 rep.

NaturalTrainee
01-28-10, 3:37 am

8 weeks ago
Deadlifts (50kg)

now
squat 70/75kg/165lbs
barbel row 60kg

Since they are better then your previous lifts, they are the best I've seen! For a bodybuilder, heavy weight is the heaviest weight you can use when maintaining the proper form and being able to avoid using momentum. Don't hear anyone saying to you here "They're shit". Hear only your body and improve through proggression.