PDA

View Full Version : Well guys im having a little problem

IDoItForHer
01-25-10, 8:22 pm
Well today was chest day, No matter what i do i cant feel it in my chest. My chest is lacking pretty bad. My dad is a pretty legit animal. Couple of the guys i workout with are competing, all the reading i do.... The most i have people check my form my forms great just something ain't clicking. Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday: Chest
Incline Barbell Press: 4 x 10
Dumbbell press: 4 x 10
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flyes: 4 x 10
Cable Crossovers: 4 x 10

BionicMasterPiece
01-25-10, 8:27 pm
Well today was chest day, No matter what i do i cant feel it in my chest. My chest is lacking pretty bad. My dad is a pretty legit animal. Couple of the guys i workout with are competing, all the reading i do.... The most i have people check my form my forms great just something ain't clicking. Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday: Chest
Cable Crossovers: 4 x 10

Alright, you sure your not worrying about what weight your using? You should just focus on the full stretch and contraction, but it seems your already doing that. Try going for higher reps, higher reps around the 12-20 can cause crazy muscle growth, but then it may not...everyone is different. But to thicken up your chest, you want to grow your muscles first instead of adding in those shaping movements (flys), shaping movements usually just stunts muscle growth and ends of shrinking or maintaining muscle size, but then again every individual is different. Try doing nothign but presses and dips and your chest should be thicker within the first time doing this, worked for me....worked for ronnie coleman....GO DO IT!

IDoItForHer
01-25-10, 8:36 pm
Alright man thanks for the tip! but the weight eh im doin enough to make me want to cry which aint that much considering my chest is extremely weeakkk. I do 545 deads and 485 squats when my bench goes down to about 315....

Birdman
01-25-10, 8:47 pm
Try doing some decline every once in a while just to mix shit up, may help may not but cant hurt to try. Good luck man

TigerAce01
01-25-10, 9:01 pm
Lower your weights. Don't pad your ego, just go for feel. Warm up intensively, and not just your chest, your entire body, then your chest. You should have AT LEAST 3 warmup sets before your first working set of your first exercise. Next workout, try not going above 135lbs on your BB movements, and not going above 50lbs on your DB movements...concentrate on the movement, the contraction, and the negative...all in separate stages. DO NOT count the reps for now, you are not going for a certain rep range, you are trying to find that mind/muscle connection. Oh, and take out the cable crossovers...for anyone that doesn't have a top level chest, they're close to useless...

Focus on the movement and you'll feel it! Good Luck!!

-Ace

IDoItForHer
01-25-10, 9:06 pm
Thanks ace willll doo! =)

msktyshha
01-25-10, 10:17 pm
like everyone said lower the weight and feel it in the muscle.
pushups to failure, I mean failure not fatigue

TheTinyHulk
01-25-10, 10:23 pm
One thing that I have added to my warm up is either really light flys or pullovers just to get a bit of blood flowing and to help get your mind focused on feeling the chest work. I'm not saying pre-exhaust, just something to get focused on the group you want to hit.

I do agree with everyone else though, lower you're weight. It's tough sometimes when you have guys throwing heavy weight around, but it's not worth killing your development to impress a few people.

Let me know how it goes.

calcaneous
01-25-10, 10:24 pm
Alright man thanks for the tip! but the weight eh im doin enough to make me want to cry which aint that much considering my chest is extremely weeakkk. I do 545 deads and 485 squats when my bench goes down to about 315....

how do you press 315 but you dont feel it in your chest. I am sorry but thats very heavy to be pushing around when you dont even feel it at all.

TigerAce01
01-25-10, 10:27 pm
how do you press 315 but you dont feel it in your chest. I am sorry but thats very heavy to be pushing around when you dont even feel it at all.

Technically the bench press is actually a front delt exercise...so it's very understandable for his delts to take the brunt of the load if they are stronger in comparison to his chest.

-Ace

TheTinyHulk
01-25-10, 10:31 pm
Technically the bench press is actually a front delt exercise...so it's very understandable for his delts to take the brunt of the load if they are stronger in comparison to his chest.

-Ace

Agreed, I think we've all had a problem making the chest work with the bench. Until recently I never really got a good pump, then I went to starting with DB Inclines and the whole mind muscle connection warm up.

calcaneous
01-25-10, 10:37 pm

-Ace

he claims he is a powerlifter, so his form should put more stress on his chest then his delts. little arch in his back, shoulders pulled back.

I never feel anything in my shoulders when i bench, but then again, i bench more like a power lifter then a BB.

TheTinyHulk
01-25-10, 10:43 pm
he claims he is a powerlifter, so his form should put more stress on his chest then his delts. little arch in his back, shoulders pulled back.

I never feel anything in my shoulders when i bench, but then again, i bench more like a power lifter then a BB.

I might have this backwards but I thought a BB arched his back to pull his shoulders back and put more emphasis on the chest?

TigerAce01
01-25-10, 10:47 pm

He never claimed to be a powerlifter anywhere in this thread.

The OP obviously is having trouble with something, hence the reason he started a thread asking questions on how he can better feel exercises in his chest. If you have some tips on how he can do that, feel free to post them.

-Ace

calcaneous
01-25-10, 11:06 pm
He never claimed to be a powerlifter anywhere in this thread.

The OP obviously is having trouble with something, hence the reason he started a thread asking questions on how he can better feel exercises in his chest. If you have some tips on how he can do that, feel free to post them.

-Ace

He didnt in this thread but in his other thread he has

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=29465

I just find it weird that someone pushing the numbers he claims to not be able to feel his chest pushing 315 up. That is all. my advice on this topic..i think there might be something wrong with his form. He did say that most people who have checked his form said it was good. other then form, switch up the exercise. Start using some dumbbells instead, do more incline work, etc.

Reacher34
01-25-10, 11:13 pm
You're getting some pretty good advice here. BUT.... if these tips don't work, then give mine a try.

Here's the routine:
Incline DB press: 3 warmups, 2 working sets of 10
Incline DB fly: 1 warmup, 3 x15
Flat DB press: 2 sets of 10
Flat DB fly: 3 sets of 15

I've struggled with my chest in the past, then I did this workout and really felt pumped, full, and sore. I did the same workout for the next 6 or 7 weeks (alternating starting with incline or flat) and saw some excellent growth!! It may seem contrary to the advice you've already gotten. But I say when all else fails....

Use a heavy weight that you can probably only get 8 or 9 reps, and then squeeze the last one out with a spotter if need be. Also, go heavy on the flyes so that you are really struggling with reps 10-15.

If you decide to try this, let me know how it goes. After this stops causing your soreness, add one burnout set of cable crossovers aiming for at least 20 reps.

Seriously, this strategy has brought my chest from pathetic to girls consistenly groping me at work (bouncer).

Good luck.

t_mh
01-25-10, 11:14 pm
Yeah I think dumbbells could help you out. Someone said incline db. Those are great. Really get a good range and stretch it out.

Gio71
01-26-10, 8:26 am
First of all dont lockout your elbows on any chest exercise for example if you do benchpress never lockout because you must keep the tension on the chest and not on your triceps/shoulders. Dont't forget to lower the weight becasue it will be more difficult

Also do the negative movement slower then normal you should really feel your chest then

RICER88
01-26-10, 10:11 am
Another good idea, would be to lighten up the weight, and count out a 4 second negative, this makes you focus on your chest and you can really feel the fibers being used. give it a shot.

RICER88

PIJW
01-26-10, 11:33 am
One thing i did cause i felt the same way that i was not feeling it in my chest was to drop the barbell all together for a while and just use DBs. I do Press on bench, incline and decline as well as a few fly's and when i concentrate on them my chest is truly sore for the rest of the day and feels better than moving that damn barbell like the rest of the teenagers.

Deathride
01-26-10, 12:15 pm
I struggle to feel chest workouts in my chest (until I started doing 5*5....!) using barbells. I found it much more focussing to use dumbbells. The weight might be much less but try doing a few workouts using JUST dumbbells for a few weeks (flat press / incline press / a fly and maybe a pullover if you fancy it)

That removed my shoulders from the movement and REALLY made me feel the chest soreness the next couple of days. Plus I feel my bench is stronger since returning to the bar.

IDoItForHer
01-26-10, 7:24 pm
Well for Calc i do feel the blunt of the weight in my Delts just because i used everything to throw that weight up in Power lifting but i dropped the weight way down, really worked on my form im just not feeling it at all in my chest

calcaneous
01-27-10, 5:02 pm
Well for Calc i do feel the blunt of the weight in my Delts just because i used everything to throw that weight up in Power lifting but i dropped the weight way down, really worked on my form im just not feeling it at all in my chest

if you are getting stronger and bigger then i wouldn't even worry about it.

JustRIOT
01-27-10, 10:07 pm
yoo, its not just about the exercises you do, but HOW you do them
I felt extreme pumps in my chests from bench presses after I learned to lie on the bench differently.
When lying down on a bench to do a chest exercise, just follow these...

...Simple steps:
1. pop your chest out
2. keep you shoulders back, (this position is used for dumbell chest exercises, maybe that is why people feel more of a pump using db's).
3. practice MIND MUSCLE CONNECTION:
. . a. feel your chest stretch out on the way down
. . b. squeeze your chest as it contracts when you push it up