PDA

View Full Version : Training off the Rack

mk53220
01-26-10, 7:25 pm
How benificial is starting the exercises (bench, squat, shoulder press, and deadlift) off the rack and explode up???

shizz702
01-26-10, 8:42 pm
How benificial is starting the exercises (bench, squat, shoulder press, and deadlift) off the rack and explode up???

You mean like starting from the bottom position?

This is talked about in length in Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik, which I highly recommend.

Basically makes them much harder, and can be great to do from time to time. Will help you with exploding out of the hole, and makes good for various pin heights so you can train weaknesses and what not.

Be careful with bottom position bench presses though, hard on the shoulders.

mk53220
01-26-10, 11:02 pm
Would it be recommened to do it for those other exercises?? I was thinking doing this for a few weeks then taking it to the regular style of lifting without the pins?? Also would I see my lift weights go up by doing this or just reps at a set weight??

shizz702
01-27-10, 8:13 am
Would it be recommened to do it for those other exercises?? I was thinking doing this for a few weeks then taking it to the regular style of lifting without the pins?? Also would I see my lift weights go up by doing this or just reps at a set weight??

Give it a run and see how it goes, just make sure you ease into it and don't go too heavy too soon.

The book I mentioned recommended adding them in as assistance work first before focusing your whole program on it.

For example

Bench day

Flat bench

Rack bench

tricep and shoulder work

Squat day

Squats

Rack squats

Leg and calf work

etc.

Keep the reps looooowwwww, no more than 5 on the rack work. And you'll be fine doing the rack bench, like I said just ease into and don't go too heavy too soon, and if it causes and kind of pain or it feels ripe for an injury, don't do it. Some guys can get away it no problem, others can't.

ironshaolin
01-27-10, 1:00 pm
RAck work is awesome. Definately pick up Dinosaur training, there's a ton of stuff on rack work in there. It's been used by powerlifters for years to develop certain weak points on the lifts. I suggest if you decide to use it, use it as a CNS activator. For instance, say its squat day. Get a good warmup in, foam roll, stretch, then start working heavy singles, doubles or triples in the bottom position bench press. Start light, and work up to a heavy, but not max, single double or triple. Make sure if doing more than 1 rep you pause at the bottom. Follow that with front squats for 5x5. Do that for about 3 weeks, then come back to regular, full back squats. If you're using it for say, benches or military presses, start again with the bottom position version, then do 5x5 in the dumbell version. After 3 weeks, go back to regular benches or military presses.

mk53220
01-27-10, 6:47 pm
Sounds great guys thanks for all the help. Im extremely pumped right now to go and give this a try. Anything else i should besides the 5x5 with the db after??

J Wong
01-27-10, 11:51 pm
As shizz said, watch it with the bench. Not only can it wreck your shoulders, but it can beat up your elbows pretty bad as well.