PDA

View Full Version : Collar bones hurt when dipping

Geronimo
01-27-10, 9:02 am
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me why my collarbone at the top of my chest hurts so much when doin' my dips. Would i be doin' something wrong?
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Razor
01-27-10, 9:15 am
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me why my collarbone at the top of my chest hurts so much when doin' my dips. Would i be doin' something wrong?

This might just be me bro, but my collarbones were bothering me when i first started to get serious about my dips. Like more sets and reps. After a while it just kinda went away since my body got used to it. Is the pain really bad?

theharjmann
01-27-10, 10:20 am
This might just be me bro, but my collarbones were bothering me when i first started to get serious about my dips. Like more sets and reps. After a while it just kinda went away since my body got used to it. Is the pain really bad?

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me aswell. Wierd. Very wierd.

Razor
01-27-10, 10:30 am

I think i was doing 3x10 waaay back in the day. When i bumped up to 3x30-35 thats when it started to hurt. After a while the pain became nonexistent.

Geronimo
01-27-10, 11:10 am
Hi Razor!
Well, it doesn't hurt THAT bad. (no pain no gain, right?)
It just hurts the second I get of the bars, immediately after doing my dips.
Maybe I should do more and hope it goes away? It feels like the pain comes from the stress i put on my body. Maybe I am dipping too heavy? I don't know..

Razor
01-27-10, 11:14 am
Hi Razor!
Well, it doesn't hurt THAT bad. (no pain no gain, right?)
It just hurts the second I get of the bars, immediately after doing my dips.
Maybe I should do more and hope it goes away? It feels like the pain comes from the stress i put on my body. Maybe I am dipping too heavy? I don't know..

Stay consistent with you schedule. Meaning don't do dips one day and then a month later pick them up again. The pain i had was from during and after so your case sounds similar. If you're using heavy weight try going lighter and more reps to see if you can shock your muscles into the motion. If the pain subsides you'll know that your body was just adjusting.

Geronimo
01-27-10, 11:19 am
I guess you'r right. I haven't been doing my dips regularly, because of the pain (sound worse than it is, but anyway..) I will take your advice and start doing them on a regular basis, everytime when doin chest and I will definitely go lighter on the weight.
but, it doesn't have anything to do with the position of the body, right? I mean leaning forward or not?

Razor
01-27-10, 11:25 am
I guess you'r right. I haven't been doing my dips regularly, because of the pain (sound worse than it is, but anyway..) I will take your advice and start doing them on a regular basis, everytime when doin chest and I will definitely go lighter on the weight.
but, it doesn't have anything to do with the position of the body, right? I mean leaning forward or not?

I do dips on triceps day (like today). I don't really pay attention if i'm leaning too far or not since i only concentrate on the triceps. That focus alone gives my tris the workout they need and that way i tend to feel it more there than my chest. Give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Geronimo
01-27-10, 11:37 am
OK, man! Thanks a bunch! I'll be doing bi's and Tri's tonight, so I'll give a go!
Talk to you!

t_mh
01-27-10, 3:55 pm

Oddly enough I remember this feeling when I first started too. Now I don't even think about it. I think your body just has to get used to it.

J Wong
01-27-10, 4:06 pm
Same thing happens to me, so I don't do dips anymore..

Ricky P
01-27-10, 4:15 pm
Hi everybody,

From personal experience, this is something that has happened to me and a lot of other people I know who first starting getting into dips. I usually did them at the end of my workout, so I disregarded the fact that it was maybe that I wasn't fully stretched out yet. I'd say about 3-4 weeks after I started doing them, there was no more pain and my ROM (Range of motion) was much better. I think it's just an adjustment period that takes place, but from what happened with me is that it just slowly started to fade and eventually was gone and I was able to pile on weight after that.

shizz702
01-27-10, 8:02 pm
I have to chime in here, when I first started doing dips I remeber I would get a nagging chest pain, particulary in the sternum area. I stayed persistent with them and now they are one of my favorite exercises.

C.Coronato
01-28-10, 3:33 pm
I actually get the same thing, but only when im doing really heavy weighted dips.

Unweighted dips i have no pain.

MVP
01-30-10, 3:01 am
Same thing here and with all of my clients.

Your body will get used to the isometric tension towards the collar bone area when you dip and eventually you will become tolerant to the pain.

Dips can also damage the RC muscles, so be careful.

prowrestler
01-30-10, 4:09 pm
when i did dips as an ealry exercise...id get the collar pain...

do a couple other chets exercises 1st then try out the dips...worked 4 me

Jwnelsn1
02-01-10, 3:41 pm
your shoulders aren't designed for that type of exercise. the natrual rotation and ligament structure/design, doesn't allow the body to move that way (at least it's not supposed to). However, dips are a great exercise. Some people are just more lucky than others; their shoulders can handle that type of stress and improper load placement. So if you can do them, do them! But, if your shoulders and chest are hurting it has to do with your musculature structure and ligament design. Unfortunately I can't do them either, but my tri's and upper chest are some of my better features...you can also grow without killing your shoulders! also, if you do alot of overhead tri ext's and your shoulders hurt...same thing.

Peace - J