PDA

View Full Version : Photoshopping???

Beowulf
01-28-10, 4:54 pm
How widespread is photoshopping in the muscle mags and even in ads?

Check this out, especially the one with Roddick, lol: http://www.newsweek.com/id/231629

Seems like a widespread problem in the magazine world. What can you believe?

calcaneous
01-28-10, 5:06 pm
there are some cover pictures where you can easily tell its been altered. I know one flex magazine cover with Arnold, his arm was around 3 times the size of his head. We all know arnold had large biceps, but the cover was just ridiculous.

RK
01-28-10, 5:49 pm
If you have never seen the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster. I would highly recommend it. Theres a section of it that covers this kind of technique for ad manipulation. The photographer even admits hes shot the before and after pictures in the same DAY. Then they show how they do it with the host of the documentary. Really is quite amazing what they can pull off.

IronWilson
01-28-10, 6:32 pm
I work with Photoshop on a daily basis.

Let me tell you, every ad that you see has entered Photoshop. Altering images (particularly people.) to make everything look more than perfect is a part of making an ad.

Any ad with any bodybuilder has been somehow altered to make them look better than they really did in the photo. It's not a matter of IF it was altered it is a matter of HOW MUCH it was altered.

NJC_Manhattan
01-28-10, 7:14 pm

Check this out, especially the one with Roddick, lol: http://www.newsweek.com/id/231629

Seems like a widespread problem in the magazine world. What can you believe?

Most ads are photoshopped.

Remember that documentary bigger faster stronger, where they shot the before and after photo the same day for a 'weight loss' supp.

Its marketing bro.

Beowulf
01-29-10, 3:48 pm
If you have never seen the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster. I would highly recommend it. Theres a section of it that covers this kind of technique for ad manipulation. The photographer even admits hes shot the before and after pictures in the same DAY. Then they show how they do it with the host of the documentary. Really is quite amazing what they can pull off.

Been meaning to check that out. I just don't get why they would. These bodybuilders, you can easily see them at a show or guest posing. So if it's obviously faked, you could tell the different I'd think.

RK
01-29-10, 3:56 pm
Been meaning to check that out. I just don't get why they would. These bodybuilders, you can easily see them at a show or guest posing. So if it's obviously faked, you could tell the different I'd think.

yes i agree for the people that go to shows/expos etc. they can see a difference. but i think they are targeting more of an average joe that just picks up a magazine not knowing what there looking at.

Beowulf
01-29-10, 3:59 pm
yes i agree for the people that go to shows/expos etc. they can see a difference. but i think they are targeting more of an average joe that just picks up a magazine not knowing what there looking at.

It seems unethical to me. I wonder if the guys at Animal photoshop their ads (hey, I figured I'd ask!)

IRBS
01-29-10, 4:02 pm

HAHA, how widespread is the use of the term "bro" on this website? I would guess its close to the same.

Dont believe everything you see...

TigerAce01
01-29-10, 4:03 pm
It seems unethical to me. I wonder if the guys at Animal photoshop their ads (hey, I figured I'd ask!)

In all of the Animal ads, I see stretch marks, bumps, scratches, bruises, and all of the true material that makes up lifters. It doesn't look to me like the physiques are altered in any way. Perhaps shading, lighting, and things of that nature, but it doesn't look like the actual physiques are altered.

-Ace

Optimus Prime
01-29-10, 4:04 pm
r the muslce covers all photoshoped to???

IronWilson
01-29-10, 6:37 pm
In all of the Animal ads, I see stretch marks, bumps, scratches, bruises, and all of the true material that makes up lifters. It doesn't look to me like the physiques are altered in any way. Perhaps shading, lighting, and things of that nature, but it doesn't look like the actual physiques are altered.

-Ace

They might not change the physique to the degree that some ads do, but they modify the physiques of the bodybuilders. Whether it be just adding a tiny few pixels of tricep or to make the abs or veins more pronounced.

That is why all the pictures you see of bodybuilders across magazines and contest photos all look different.

But because they need to convey these athletes looking their very best, I do not think that they should be condemned for photoshopping. That is what we want to see after all.

The Animal Ads are no different. They just leave the stretch marks and stuff in there because it is a part of the Animal brand.

r the muslce covers all photoshoped to???

Yep, the covers especially. Some of them are just plain ridiculous.

Beowulf
02-01-10, 11:06 am
They might not change the physique to the degree that some ads do, but they modify the physiques of the bodybuilders. Whether it be just adding a tiny few pixels of tricep or to make the abs or veins more pronounced.

The Animal Ads are no different. They just leave the stretch marks and stuff in there because it is a part of the Animal brand.

So you do think Animal photoshops the physiques in their ads???

Universal Rep
02-01-10, 11:32 am

So you do think Animal photoshops the physiques in their ads???

I've actually talked to Corporate about this in the past as the topic came up once. For the record, Corporate does use photoshop for their ads. However, they do not alter the physiques of the athletes that are represented in those ads. They do not make the athletes look bigger, leaner, more shredded or whatever. They use photoshop for things like making the original photo brighter, or adding more contrast, or prepping the ad for placement, or whatever. Again, they do not alter the physiques. That would be dishonest, eh?

That is all.

IronWilson
02-01-10, 11:48 am
I've actually talked to Corporate about this in the past as the topic came up once. For the record, Corporate does use photoshop for their ads. However, they do not alter the physiques of the athletes that are represented in those ads. They do not make the athletes look bigger, leaner, more shredded or whatever. They use photoshop for things like making the original photo brighter, or adding more contrast, or prepping the ad for placement, or whatever. Again, they do not alter the physiques. That would be dishonest, eh?

That is all.

If thats the truth that is shocking.

Altering a physique for an ad is nothing to be ashamed of. I would do it myself.

That would make Universal part of the 10% that does not use extensive photoshop altering. I don't care what you guys do with the photos, Animal has the coolest ads.

Universal Rep
02-01-10, 11:56 am
If thats the truth that is shocking.

Altering a physique for an ad is nothing to be ashamed of. I would do it myself.

That would make Universal part of the 10% that does not use extensive photoshop altering. I don't care what you guys do with the photos, Animal has the coolest ads.

The truth... And why is it so shocking? Are your expectations so low or are ya just so cynical, IW? Truth is, I'd be disappointed if I found out Corporate photoshopped the physiques of their athletes. Yeah, it's widespread and yeah, other companies do... But that ain't reason for Animal to do it. When I see what other companies do with their ads and their marketing, if Animal were to follow suit, that would disappoint me too. To be a leader, to stand out, you have the behave differently. You have to act like a leader. Is it easy? No way. But if you want respect, do things right even if it means taking longer... Even if it means puttin' yourself at a disadvantage cuz others do things differently. My $0.02.

GJN5002
02-01-10, 12:03 pm
If i could use photoshop well, I would photoshop my own pictures haha

Universal Rep
02-01-10, 12:13 pm
If i could use photoshop well, I would photoshop my own pictures haha

I'd photoshop pics of my car... Haha.

G Diesel
02-01-10, 12:18 pm
Who would think Beyonce, Jessica and Kim would need ANY work? Not me.

But that is life in modern America, even perfection ain't perfect enough.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
02-01-10, 12:20 pm
Who would think Beyonce, Jessica and Kim would need ANY work? Not me.

But that is life in modern America, even perfection ain't perfect enough.

Peace, G

Ya mean no one is ghostwritin' ur articles, G?

Beowulf
02-01-10, 12:26 pm

That is all.

Thanks for the clarification U Rep. Doesn't surprise me.

Aggression
02-01-10, 12:34 pm

This part of the movie blew my mind. I mean I always knew they did some 'work' to the before/after photos. But the main guy in the movie did a 90-day before/after shot in ONE day (i believe it was suppose to be a 90-day time lapse, or something around it). They shot his body twice. They used the untouched version as the before, and then they gave him a haircut, a tan, and photoshopped the crap outta the pic. Insane.

Universal Rep
02-01-10, 12:37 pm
This part of the movie blew my mind. I mean I always knew they did some 'work' to the before/after photos. But the main guy in the movie did a 90-day before/after shot in ONE day (i believe it was suppose to be a 90-day time lapse, or something around it). They shot his body twice. They used the untouched version as the before, and then they gave him a haircut, a tan, and photoshopped the crap outta the pic. Insane.

Insane is right. Seen and heard about some crazy stuff in our industry over the years. Just glad Corporate don't do any of that stuff...

Beowulf
02-01-10, 12:40 pm
Insane is right. Seen and heard about some crazy stuff in our industry over the years. Just glad Corporate don't do any of that stuff...

Lol, I've seen some crazy shit myself. Can't believe what some companies try to pass off.

IronWilson
02-01-10, 11:20 pm
The truth... And why is it so shocking? Are your expectations so low or are ya just so cynical, IW? Truth is, I'd be disappointed if I found out Corporate photoshopped the physiques of their athletes. Yeah, it's widespread and yeah, other companies do... But that ain't reason for Animal to do it. When I see what other companies do with their ads and their marketing, if Animal were to follow suit, that would disappoint me too. To be a leader, to stand out, you have the behave differently. You have to act like a leader. Is it easy? No way. But if you want respect, do things right even if it means taking longer... Even if it means puttin' yourself at a disadvantage cuz others do things differently. My $0.02.

Not cynical... I just work in in the advertising industry and it is common practice that in print, people's looks are fudged a little bit to even a lot. People expect to see the freaks.

If Universal doesn't do it, that is a great thing. I can buy that because Universal doesn't do a lot of the crazy stuff other companies do in ads.

I was just saying that if they DID in fact do it, we should not look down upon it.

sodapop
02-01-10, 11:26 pm
Not cynical... I just work in in the advertising industry and it is common practice that in print, people's looks are fudged a little bit to even a lot. People expect to see the freaks.

If Universal doesn't do it, that is a great thing. I can buy that because Universal doesn't do a lot of the crazy stuff other companies do in ads.

I was just saying that if they DID in fact do it, we should not look down upon it.

I would look down upon Universal doing that. Yeah, I've got loyalty to the company - they've (or Animal, more specifically) got the best forum around and great products - but that doesn't mean I'll go along with something I don't agree with just 'cause of that.

Major props to them for NOT doing it.

mritter3
02-02-10, 4:06 pm
that pic of roddick is insane...funny stuff, its def. cool that Univer/animal does not do that to there bodybuilders.

G Diesel
02-02-10, 4:09 pm
Ya mean no one is ghostwritin' ur articles, G?

Nah man, you know me. If I'm not authentic, I'm nothing. I'd rather just do my thing and be what I am than have Charles Dickens ghostwrite for me and take the credit.

Peace, G

Beowulf
02-03-10, 4:56 pm
I would look down upon Universal doing that. Yeah, I've got loyalty to the company - they've (or Animal, more specifically) got the best forum around and great products - but that doesn't mean I'll go along with something I don't agree with just 'cause of that.

Major props to them for NOT doing it.

Honestly, so would I........