PDA

View Full Version : Ground lamb w/ red kidney beans & jalapeno sauce

Girevik 69
01-30-10, 10:20 pm
The following is a very simple, very basic kind of meal, but it's nutrient-dense and tastey. Any ground meant can be used; I prefer lamb, bison, or lean beef, but you can use turkey or what have you. Black beans may be substituted for the kidney beans. For more of an Ancient Roman vibe, use pearled barley instead of brown rice. The ingredients are:

Approx. 1lb of ground lamb

2 cans of red kidney beans (dark or light)

2 cups of brown rice

TABASCO jalapeno (green) sauce

Brown meat in skillet, and set aside. Heat beans. Cook rice. Combine all three, and season with sauce to taste. I should perhaps point out that I'm not a bodybuilder--I'm a kettlebell lifter and combat athlete. I'm 5'7" and 165lbs, and I can get several meals out of the above quantities, but you can alter the ratios as you see fit, for your own needs.

Enjoy.

Muscleguy93
01-30-10, 10:29 pm
sounds good man.

Girevik 69
01-30-10, 10:35 pm
Sometimes the simpler dishes are better. Ground meat by it's very nature has more flavor, due to the greater surface area. And TABASCO jalapeno sauce is a real gem--it adds a lot of flavor, without being so hot.

Regarding the canned beans, I prefer organic brands, not just because they're free of unnecessary chemical preservatives, but also because they're typically prepared with sea salt, which tastes better.

Regarding the grains, I personally prefer Uncle Ben's instant brown rice, or Quaker Oats' instant pearled barley--it just makes the whole process easier.

C.Coronato
02-01-10, 3:30 pm
Sounds real good. Where are you located in NJ?

Girevik 69
02-02-10, 9:45 am
Sounds real good. Where are you located in NJ?

I'm in Piscataway... not too far from Universal's HQ, in Hub City.

C.Coronato
02-02-10, 2:29 pm
I'm in Piscataway... not too far from Universal's HQ, in Hub City.

Nice brother, you ever think about coming out to any ABCs?

mritter3
02-02-10, 2:42 pm
sounds damn tasty, never had ground lamb before.

Girevik 69
02-02-10, 10:41 pm
Nice brother, you ever think about coming out to any ABCs?

I'm interested in learning more about the ABC... are the events strictly bodybuilding and powerlifting? Are any other strength sports covered, like Olympic-style lifting, Highland Games Heavy Athletics, Strongman, Kettlebells/Girevoy Sport, etc.? Thanks in advance, for cluing me in.

Girevik 69
02-02-10, 10:43 pm
sounds damn tasty, never had ground lamb before.

I started seeing ground lamb at some local supermarkets, just last year... I figured I'd give it a try, and I wasn't disappointed.